Options

Bromley and Surrounding Areas

Comments

• Options
    So you've bottled it for Beachey Head, eh?

I wont be around for a few weekends for a run, as I've got racing commitments although it's possible I may not do the Dulwich 10k this Sunday in which case I'll be around. I'll text/ring you if that is the case.
  • Options
    Hiya Snoops!! Yeah - Beachy Head has been kicked into touch. I'm off to Edinburgh instead with the family for a bit of r'n'r. Can't wait to get racing again!!!
  • Options
    E'burgh's a lovely city, Mr P. Princes Gardens is nice 'n' flat for a r*n, but DON'T turn left towards the Castle!!!

Did the Dulwich 10k yesterday (didn't see Fliss there though), although Jo Brand was prominent (altho' definately NOT ru**ning!). Ran round with Donna in a fast tempo training run in exactly 50 minutes, saving myself for the club handicap competition tomorrow.

By the way, Mr P, Donna and I have decided to enter a duathlon in Richmond next year. We're not into getting wet like you, but as soon as I sort myself out a bike, I'll contact you about some training rides.

JJ - I'll e-mail directly you about training meet ups.
  • Options
    ...succinct and to the point, Shades
  • Options
    A duathlon! Sounds great Snoops. A bike is a great way of building fitness and keeping the strain off aging joints!! Let me know when you're ready for a ride.
  • Options
    What time are you out on Sunday Mr P.

As Snoops said not much going on at the moment for me although I did do the Quicksand 15 a fantastic race of 15 miles along the beaches between Margate and Ramsgare (remember the marathon route, well this is the same course but on the beach instead of along the cliff top), oh and with a few cliff faces to climb, rock pools to wade through and ankle deep seaweed in places, all this in driving rain for part and glorious sun for the remainder.

Nothing planed at all from here, but it would be nice to get out for some Company on Sunday morning.
  • Options
    I'll try and get a bike first Mr P and let you know (but it wont be until the New Year.)

For the moment, am concentrating on the one/twice weekly gym visits for upper bod strength, and three run sessions a week including races - did the Cabbage Patch 10 last w/e in 78 mins, and it's the Maidstone Half this w/e, followed by the Beachy Head marathon on Saturday week - followed by a short rest.

Not seen anyone else (apart from Thursdays with Donna).

Hi Ashley! Are you still doing your 20 mile run homes via Greenwich and Catford these days? When are you going out to see your Fla. house? I see Wilma's on its way there.
  • Options
    Not running at all at present, still lacking the motivation, maybe some company will help.
    Florida well don't wait up, 2007/8 at the earliest. Going out there again next year so no early marathons for me.
  • Options
    Hello all!! Long time no see . . . an' all that.

Ashley, Sunday times are variable depending upon working week, family requirements, Saturday night activities etc etc. Y'know how it is. That stated, if anyone wants to commit me to getting out of the house at a certain time I would be delighted coz I'm struggling to get my ar*e into gear at the moment.
  • Options
    hello Bromlely peeps

LoL at snoop's :
    Jo Brand was "prominent"

• Options
    OK pathfinder. looks like we missed this week but lets see about nexty week.
  • Options
    Ashley - Now I've got my schedule sorted out I'm around on Tuesdays for a possible plod back from London Bridge if you fancy it?
  • Options
    enjoyable half marathon at Maidstone yesterday in the sunshine, and am now taking a couple of days break in Bath, whilst tapering for the Beachy Head marathon pub crawl this Saturday.

this running lark is catching!
  • Options
    Hi
    Just moved to Chislehurst / Elmstead Woods area. Now it's dark in evenings I am trying to find a bunch of runners for my wife to run with one or 2 evenings a week, and / or weekends - she's just getting back into running after a few years off, looking to build up slowly. Is this the right thread to be looking? Any idea on the clubs around here? I have found Bromley and Blackheath Hariers, not sure if they cater for beginners. Any help appreciated.
    Ta
  • Options
    HI Richard
    You have in deed come to the right place. Let us know when you want to run and someone will be only too happy to join you both.

After Christmas we usually start our build up for the London Marathon starting nice and gentle and then gradually building. FOr this we selected Summer Hill by Chislehurst station as its fantastic for hillspeed workl.

I work in the City and will be back in training by running back from there to Petts Wood. Company is always appreciated for some or all of it.

If you would prefer to run during the day Snoops or JJ may be able to assist as they have more flexible times.

As an alternative why not try Orpington Road Runners. This club is informal and more of a group of friends (average currenlty 50 per week from over 100 members). They meet on Tuesday nights outside the Buff pub in Green Street Green orpington.
  • Options
    Haven't got in to FLM this time, so will make do with Paris marathon next April, and possibly one other.

Beachy Head was fabbo - the gourmande marathon was achieved in a sedate 6 hrs 25 mins, and one of the most enjoyable ones I have done.

Now it's down to hard training for the Bri 10k and X country races over the next month or so.

See ya'll out there.
  • Options
    Not doing London either as were off to Disney again and didn't see the point of all the training to then suffer from Jet Lag on the day of the race. Will be there with Christopher supporting though as in previous years.
  • Options
    anyone doing the Brighton 10k on Sunday week?

that's followed by.....wait for it......

the Thanet 10!!

yes, yes, I know what you're thinking.
  • Options
    I will be doing the Thanet 10

just by way of a change!
  • Options
    crikey - wot a surprise, Ashley!

wot time are you hoping for?
  • Options
    Who knows and who cares. I will just plod around the course and see what happens on the day.

Did the ORR 10k handicap last night. Came in 72nd out of 80. My 5 minute handicap didn't help but still it took me 50.36. 40 seconds faster than the start of last season and 3 minutes slower than the end of last season. Nowhere near my peak though of 2003-4 where I ranged from 44 to 47 minutes. Maybe once all the building works are completed at home and I can get my running machine back into action I may do a little speed work.

And maybe i may even venture out a little during the days once we move to our new offices in December.

Good luck in your race on Sunday. I will be racing around Bluewater or Lakeside on the great pre-Christmas shopping trip.

Snoops I would recomend that you try the Quicksand as a different kind of race. Its 15 miles all on sand, pebbles and seaweed, not to mention climbing up chalk cliff faces etc. Weather wise well everything from winds, freezing rain to brilliant sunshine was offered this year.
  • Options
    I only asked about the time Ashley, as I am aiming for about 78 minutes, and I wondered whether you were expecting to be about the same time (in which case I'll look out for you on the way round).

The Quicksand 15 you say? Nah - I've done the Grim, the Toughguy, the Hellraiser and 18 marathons, but even I would have to say no to the Q15 - I'm not quite THAT crazy!
  • Options
    J JJ J ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your racing chaps. No racing for me yet. Still trying to build the mileage up. I take it too quickly then have a set back. Had a good rest from it for the last couple of weeks and now I am out of condition! Can't win.
  • Options
    Snoops I honestly have no idea on time. Last year I think it was around 90 minutes the year before 79. I guess somewhere between these two times but with emphasis on the slower of the two
  • Options
    ok then, Ashley - I'll try not to tempt you into racing it!

Sorry to hear about your continued setbacks JJ - let me know when you're ready for a Wednesday morning outing again.

This w/e it's Swanley X country - oodles of mud guaranteed! :0)
  • Options
    Hello All - good to see that most of you are keeping up some level of training.

Doin' the ORR 10k series Ashley? Like you, I too would struggle to hit the sort of form I had a few years ago.

And I'm glad to hear, Snoops, that Beachy Head was such a jolly. I did it a few years ago and can still remember 2 guys from Portsmouth Joggers passing me on the hills on several occasions, whilst I passed them at the pubs on several occasions!!

Good luck with the fight back to full fitness JJ
  • Options
    Pathfinder, hoping to get back to those Sunday morning sessions soon as we are nearly finished with the house refurbishments.
  • Options
    Great news Ashley - looking forward to it. Last weekend I managed to do that 18 miler we did in the summer. That one long run on a Sunday is pretty much the only run I do at the moment - the rest is swimming and biking.
  • Options
    well if you will do triathlons...

Suffering a bit with a knee problem at the moment but im willing to get out for a slow run this sunday