Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Hey thanks for all the suggestions for the jacket.  Aldi has none left and there is no sign of them in lidl.  I tried my local JJB but they are now DW sports and the woman there showed me workmans hi vis jackets!!!

Will try in Glasgow tomorrow! 

Why is it when i get a holiday the weather is rubbish?  Anyway after yesterdays post I booked myself in for Edinburgh - think I need to get booking the hotel soon. 

• Options
    The Dundee Aldi had quite a few jackets and bits left on Saturday morning when I called in.  I was surprised that there was some sensible sizes left - I was after a long sleeved top and managed to pick up a couple.
  • Options

Kirsty,

If you already have a running jacket just get a cheap hi-viz vest like the workmen use, if I do any night running I throw that on top of my run gear. very light and doesnt get in the way image

BS, I've decided Eddies is a no go this year. sundays lsr was only 4 miles....

Planning the lossie turkey trot instead

Tom, well done 

• Options

Kirsty, try ebay. I got my high viz jacket on ebay. It was a brand new ronhill with all its tags and was only £15 - bargain image

• Options

Thanks again for all the suggestions - just popped into Tesco and there was one there!  I'm sorted now for my winter training! 

Went to gym this morning and did a fast mile in 7 min 4 sec!  Quite pleased with myself.

• Options

Lo Peeps first time on this forum ..i think

put in for the Inverness Half in March next year,only did 1 10k and i,m running about 13 mile a week so need improving.any 1 did inverness before ...tell me if its a flat easy course or will i have to hill train ???

cheers laters.

• Options

Morning folks

Lol RJ, at least I dont have to do my event in one continuous go, I get time to eat and sleep in between image...then have to get up in the morning and do it all again image. I've heard pregnancy is good for marathon training too image, doesnt make me tempted to try it though image.

Hi Penguin - dont know much about Inverness course, but apparently this year it snowed during the race....LOTS imageimage. Pack your warm hat and gloves....mind you image, you might be used to the cold, Penguin by name, Penguin by nature? image.

Bedshaped - looks like Eddies is off for me too, cant make that wkend, bummer image. Oh well, still keeping my fingers crossed something might come of Buchlyvie, or I might find a later race.

• Options

Tigerspaw Penguin is my name cos o the speed i run at ...imagine a Penguin with sore legs ..thats me lol

• Options
    Lol and welcome penguin.
    Just me for eddies the ? image oh well image I won't get lonely tho, part-time Keyring is also running image
    thanks for bike info jaggy and tigerspaw. Def will be looking into it.
    Planning to go to training tonight even tho I'm not feeling great. Have to get away from the house ......
  • Options

Lol Penguin image.

Have a good run tonight Bedshaped, sounds like the fresh air will do you good even though you are not 100% yet.

I'm looking for some shorter races in Nov and Dec, seem kinda few and far between, fancy doing a couple of winter 10k's just to keep my paw in, maybe some x-country if I can find some open entrys. Off to search the sites..........

• Options

Hi All

All this talk about Heb3 and island runs is super motivational! Started my wish list for next year now.image

Working from home today so took some time for a 5 mile leg-easer-offer after Sunday's Aviemore. Not too many runs left this year in shorts and tee, I think.

Dicey underfoot in places with fallen hazelnuts and conkers, though I do like kicking through the fallen leaves image.

This child like enthusiasm will last till I kick up my next dog turd image. Some things in life are a bit inevitable.

Can't do Eddies as it is on the same day as the Strathaven 10k. The round trip to Glen Clova was a bit much for a day trip and Buchlyvie looks like a no-no this year. So...... anybody know of any halfs left this year???? Aviemore was my 19th and I am busting to get to 20! (How shallow of me...but motivation comes in many guises!)

Pengine - Welcome. Looking forward to your avatar!

Cheers All

• Options

Not many halfs this year SFC, checked the born 2 run site - http://www.born2run.co.uk/Pages/Events.aspx

Hiya folks, quick read back and well done on 10k Tom. image

Hello penguin and welcome.

25 mile training run on whw then a 15 miler on the Heart of Scotland route for me at weekend so i've done non-stop eating since. 

Who's loving these dark miserable nights - aaarrgh. I want sunshine. 

• Options

Hi Penguin

Good stuff Karen - well done on the training.

I agree re the dark - although mtbing the dark is funimage

• Options

I've got a light on the front of the mtb that makes it brighter than some summer days - it only lasts about an hour and a half on full beam but cars dip their headlights so it must do the job!!

• Options
    Penguin - miles 3-6 are gradually uphill but nothing steep enough to worry about. A couple of bumpy miles after that then fast and flat/downhill to the finish. But as others have said, can be pretty Baltic (sleet the last time I ran it).
  • Options

Thanks adbru. Looks like you are gettting ready for a frigid winter; getting your overlay set for racing.

Weather here is boomeranging. Going back and forth from hot to cold.  About the time I get used to wearing tights , its short weather again. I've signed up for 4 races in the next month. Nothing near the distance that Kristy G is looking at . 5milers and 5ks and 10k. .  Tigerspaw , can yall do any cross country skiing over there?  Had a friend of mind from Michigan who was in the air force , and when he moved to Louisiana he could kick our butts, because he was a stronger runner from racing cross country. I know you like biking as a cross, but you can't always bike in the winter. Bedshaped, FFb good luck in your training.

• Options

Hi Folks, the newtonmore 10 miler looks interesting, although it does fall outwith my 10m/half travel radius.

I definitely have a bit of a niggle going on at the top of my left hamstring and into my left glute. I felt it slightly last week when I was away, and more so again last night when I ran. Perhaps a trip to the injury therapist is in order as i need to be in good shape for Clova.

• Options

A'noon you lot.

Soaked when finally getting back into my training routine this morning !

Penguin : Welcome aboard.

When we were in Spain we went into a sports shop and it stocked mainly Karhu sportswear.                     I haven't seen that brand since the mid-late 1980s !  Karhu was reasonably popular back then if I recall correctly. They also made running shoes and spikes.

Miss Bs pre school running club doesn't start till next Wed, so she was saved a soaking anyway.

• Options

Afternoon all

I was lucky, I had a dry run this morning, huge pools of water about though...I must have slept through the rain storm image. I quite enjoy the leaf carnage and bits of tree you get lying about this time of year, conkers everywhere too image. Good year for horse chestnut trees obviously.

Wow Karen, your mileage is up high again, so soon after Loch Ness. I'm up to 8.5m now and a bit more enthusiastic than I was 2 wks ago, LOL image. Come November I'll be introducing the longer back to backs and building up the miles, but I'm intending to start fairly easy.

Tom - I've never tried cross-country ski-ing. It would involve quite a lot of traveling to get to some decent snow fields from where I live, so its not really that feasible for me personally. I like to do stuff I can just go straight out my door and start. On a similar note though, I am thinking of getting an elliptical machine for the winter, for when its too icy to run.

Take care of that hip FFB. I think running down all those hills at LN has probably not helped. I've been using one of those physio massager things on my left hip and down the IT band, its really helped ease out the aches after the marathon.

• Options

TP - good idea re the elliptical trainer. I am thinking to making more use of my gym facilities over the winter and using the the stepper as well as the elliptical trainer. The stepper should be good for hill stamina.

My hamstring and glute niggle is a new one for me, not an area I am usually troubled with.

Hey, here is an amusing one: I have an interview tomorrow for a contract with the NHS to programme manage the implementation of the Greater Glasgow & Clyde swine flu pandemic plans image: there are currently 17 different work stream that all have to be co-ordinated imageimage Does that mean that I I get offered the job and accept it I will be classed as a priority case for the jab image

• Options

I should certainly hope so FFB!!!  Good luck with it image

Howdi all.

• Options

Good Luck tommorrow FFB image. That sounds a nightmare job though, co-ordinating all that. They had people on the lunch time news today getting jabbed image and a wee old granny asked Nicola Sturgeon 'are you getting the jag dear?' LOL and good ole Nicola straight off was like 'of course I am dear!' I'm not usually into all that political stuff and cannot be bothered with most of them but I met Nicola a few times when I was involved in the Save Pollok Park campaign image and I have to say she was one of the nicest and most genuine politicians I met image. Some of that bunch involved with Glasgow cooncil were a waste of space at best and downright nasty underhanded liars at worst image. Here endeth TP's advert for the SNP imageimage.

Hey Bedshaped image.

• Options
    Well said Tigerspaw image  I'm not sure about getting my swine flu jab. I get the "normal" flu one every year tho haven't got it this year yet. I suppose I should really given my "underlying condition" and certain demise image
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm undecided on it too Bedshaped. Given the old asthma and all that, I never bother with the regular one though so they'll get a shock if I actually turn up to see the asthma nurse LOL. Rumours of certain demise are greatly exaggerated I reckon image. But then I reckon I'm probably 'low risk', I have no kids at school, I work at home, my contact with others is minimal (Boo Hoo Hoo image)..........LOL that makes me sound like a right sad grumpy b*****d Hah Hah imageimage.
  • Options
    whereas I'd be high risk with 3 kids at school and my hectic social calendar image  but I don't think it's really going to be worse than regular flu!
  • Options

Hmm - well it is so long since we had a pandemic, no one knows how this will turn out. It will be a nightmare job. I know someone who is involved in the vaccination programme side of things (just one of the work streams) and he says it is a huge programme of work that will involve a lot of chasing and a lot of politics. But then I am always up for a challenge imageimageimage

The contract that I am in at the moment is OK, but it is a terrible environment that I am not comfortable in. Blame culture and an awful draconian senior management that has no respect for employees.

I will be trying another 5 or 6 miles tonight and see how the old niggle is. Clocks going back this weekend so back to running in the dark either early morning or evening image 

I have been dipping into 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas and getting some ideas around cross training and for programmes. I have to say that I am really into using cross training at the moment. It seemed to work really well for me this year. I used it in place of some recovery runs and also as an extra cardio session to reduce the risk of over use injury but to continue to build fitness and stamina. So I think I will continue with it. They also reckon that fewer, but longer and better quality runs are good. Again, that was a techniqie I used some years ago when I trained for my first marathon.

• Options

A'noon.

Miss B has been chosen to run for her primary school at the local primary schools road race next Wed. It's her first 'proper race' as she called it and she's delighted/excited about it.

Got my hands on the book 'Born to Run' (at last ) from my local library and enjoying it already.

Glad it was dry when out this morning, a complete contrast to yesterday's morning session !

• Options

Birkmyre, well done Miss B image I hope she enjoys it and runs well.

I almost bought Born to Run when I bought Advanced Marathoning when i was spending an amazon voucher I got for my birthday, but decided to get a yoga book instead.

• Options

A couple of weeks ago my grandson was diagnosed with H1N1. We were all exposed because grandson was at out house over night for several days. Wife also got sick with the symptoms. Soreness , diahrea , vomiting. I didn't get anything. My wife got over it in  48 hrs. I still wonder if it was realy H1N1 or if the doctor is calling everything flulike H1N1.  24 people have died in Louisiana.