Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Hi All!

Any word yet on the Buchlyvie Half - is it on or not ??!!??

Anyone off to the Aviemore Half next weekend? Its one of my favourites, did it last 2 years very pleasing on the eyes.

Not a single mention on here about the Oban half - same time as Nessie, but well worth the trip for those not up for 26m.

Peppa Pig ?? thats nothing to do with the X factor is it? image

• Options
    SFC wrote (see)

Peppa Pig ?? thats nothing to do with the X factor is it? image

No thank god! Sickly child is only 3 image

Not going to Aviemore, my first half will be Skye next year. Erk! image
  • Options
    Not doing Aviemore this year, did it last year had a good time.  Nice event, away from traffic and roads.  Would love more races like this around our amazing country.  Clashes with family stuff this year, so could not enter.
  • Options

The island runs are great!

Wife and I did Mull half this year and Islay half last year. I fancy the Coll half for next year, but will check out Skye - that one slipped the radar. When is it??

• Options

Hello to Miss A image.

Nice here in Glasgow too, yeah Boo to work image.

You back up to 8m already Bedshaped? Wow image most I've done is 4 and that was bad enough image. Nearly a tonne on the road bike over two days though so Happy Tiger Dance to that imageimage.

Did Skye Half this year, practice on some hills is all I can say image. Mostly on quiet single track roads but the last 3 miles is up a big hill on a busy main road then downhill to Portree. Its scenic if you can catch your breathe long enough image.

Then did Barra Half a month later, that had an even bigger hill that went on for 2miles right at the end but it was FAB, loved it, great route and lovely island image.

Would like to do Islay one year and Harris too imageimage.

• Options

I'm just itching to get back at it Tigerspaw image  Well done on the mega mileage on the bike image

Lovely day here today but school holidays getting in the way image

I'd like to do some of the island halfs too. Definitely Islay as I have friends there. Also would like to do Aviemore as I love the place but this year it's a trip home to Fort William for Eddie's half image

• Options

Don't you just love these forums!

Checked out Barra half following your post, Tigerspaw, and found a linc to the Benbecula Half - didn't know there was one there! Another for the wish list!

I'll always do the Glasgow half - only because it is the city where I was brought up - but don't think I would go out of my way for any more 'big city' runs. Have done Bath, Great North Run, Edinburgh, Bristol, Reading - all worth doing, but only once. (special personal reasons excepted).

The smaller runs always seem to bring out the best in you - no conjestion and a higher proportion of 'Reggie the Racers' to keep ploddin daydreamers like me focused on the job in hand image.

I like to put as one of my running goals each year 'do 3 new halfs'. This year it was Mull, Dumfries and Oban - all great events. I have already decided on the Mull of Kintyre half as one of the 3 newbies for 2010. Now I have 2 other hot contenders to join Glen Clova for the remaining 2 places!

Not that I need to limit it to 4 image !!

Ta much!

• Options

And have now found out about the Heb 3 Challenge!

Off to Google a Macbraynes time table now!

• Options
    You'll have a full race calendar for next year at this rate SFC image  Agree with you about Glasgow. It's supremely organised and I'm likely to keep going back year after year. It's the only biggie I like. Well I think so, not done many biggies image
  • Options

LOL SFC, yes the Hebridean runs are quite addictive, fabulous scenery image.

I was aiming for the Heb 3 this year, managed to fit in Skye and Barra, but couldnt quite swing to Harris (its only 1 wk after Barra) and missed Stornoway cos I was up at Cape Wrath, so it was the Heb 2 for me image.

Of the 6 Halfs I've done this year I enjoyed Barra the most, the run was fabulous but it was also the whole experience of going somewhere remote I had never visited before. Fantastic beaches. They gave us a great medal (in the shape of the island!), and a lovely pottery memento of the race by Uig pottery, mars bars and juice at the end, sarnies in the village hall and then a free ceileidh in the evening. Brilliant what they do in these small communities image.

Been keeping a look out for Buchlyvie Half but no news yet, I'm starting to wonder whether its on this year too.

School holidays Bedshaped, boo to that image. Hope you can get out for some peace and quiet image.

• Options

Yeah the ceileidh after is a nice plus if your legs are up to it image.

The Islay half has a great one too. Its also the only half I have come across that offers you a single malt as part of the post race refreshments.

If I had to pick my favourite for this year it would be Mull. Nice scenery, friendly people and fitting in round the ferry timetable back to Oban, so no overnight required. I am looking forward to the Aviemore half on Sunday tho' - great run and a scenic drive home.

Last post for me till Friday now. Off down south with work. Tomorrow night I will be staying at a Premier Travel Inn a couple of hundred metres from the Humber Bridge - so I am looking forward to 'running the bridge' for my evening exercise!

Have a good week everyone.

• Options
    SFC - have a good trip, hope you enjoy the bridge, I guess it will be a lot less crowded than the other week.  Probably nicer to run it now - but you will not get the red arrows flying over (unless you booked them for your arrival in town)
  • Options

alllllllllllllllllll of these brilliant races! i hate that I work so many weekends image

everytime I think about entering a race i'm almost certain not to be able to manage it. booo.

i need to make a propa plan for 2010 image

hello all..btw image

• Options

soooo quiet on here. where are you all then??

Hey Dude, how's the gammy hand doing??

• Options

hey you. i thought it was something i said image

How are you?

Hand ok thanks. But to stop the stitches unravelling I have been wearing mitts on my daily run. look daft, especially in this mild-for-the-time-of-year weather.

in other running news, doing a show and still working full time at the moment so getting no kip at all/ therefore my running is extremely low energy plodding, but at least i'm getting the miles in.

Thinking about doing Luton mara. 

• Options

Hi Guys,

Just got back from my first run since saturday !!

A gentle 3 mile trail run with me going ow/ouch/ooo/**&^## and various other wordies !!

At least its a start lol.

very very mild up here today !!

Adbru

(p.s .as I wasnt running I had nothing constructive to say image )

• Options
    congratulations! i think all first runs after a marathon should be filmed. would be a laugh to see all the crazy styles.
  • Options
    And films of people negotiating stairs
  • Options

I snorted out laughing really really loud at that Dude, thank youimage.

Boo, hello folks, i've been down with lurgy and been away to west coast for a few days and sorting out cateran race so busy busy.

I have nothing else constructive to say either except hello and keep waddling folks with mittens on.

• Options
    Classic Dude, thanks for sharing that, loved the bit trying to put the socks on, ......... been there, done that.
  • Options

Lol, no I've nothing constructive to say either image.

Back up to 6.5miles now but OMG I'm slow image. Did most of it cross country in Pollok today and got licked on the leg by a chocolate lab....he 'surrounded' me image and tried to steal my keys out my hand image image. His owner had one of those 'clicky' things to train dogs with, but he was obviously like Naw not listening to that image.

Hey Bedshaped, I might be coming up to Eddies Half too, just gotta sort a few dates out image.

I've given up looking to see if Buchlyvie is on, maybe I will drop an email to the organiser image.

Get well soon Karen, and Dudes hand too!

• Options

Brilliant Dude image  Made me really chuckle image  You're a bit busy are you not???

The stairs are the best one DundeeRunner image  Ooooh those first couple of days after were torture.

hey karen image

• Options
    Cool Tigerspaw, maybes see you up there!! image
  • Options
    Yay Fort William on Halloween image.......wooooo wooooooo, spooky image. Might try to get up there the day before, need to check my dates.
  • Options

I have pretty steep stairs in halls. Makes for a good cool downimage

I'm hoping this nice Fife weather stays around till Saturday. It's made for some nice running the past few days.

• Options
    Cripes, FW scary enough at the best of times image
  • Options

Hah Hah image.

I like FW, but maybe not at kicking out time on a Saturday night, too many things 'going bump in the night' image image.

Should get that guy who ran GSR dressed as Scooby Doo to come up and do it image.

Oh hang on, Scooby was always scared of the ghosties image.

• Options

Hi- am also struggling to get going again after Loch Ness, so good to hear I'm not alone- managed 4 km 2 days ago, so will have another go tomorrow.

HMmmmmmmm- what to do from now 'til Lochaber- Buchlyvie half I've never done- isn't it a bit slippy underfoot -maybe more for trail shoes (don't have any.....................? shopping opportunity..imageimageimage)

Will do boxing day Ayr turkey trot too- great way of shaking out the cobwebs at christmas.

Any other ideas, some thing in the early spring, before Lochaber would be nice.

• Options

Tricia - try the Nigel Barge 10k, up at the Garscube estate, early Jan. Maryhill Harriers organise it.

Buchlyvie is mud central image I was covered from shoes to back of knees after the 10k in Jan this year. Yes deffo trail shoes, that track would ruin a pair of road runners and you def need the grip, lots of big stones covered in thick mud image.

I see the Turkey Trot is now open for entrys...I didnt want to be first on entry centrals list image.