Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Just recovering from injury, so changing focus a bit from Barns Green to Gosport. Aiming for sub 2 hours, before plunging into training for FLM.
Anyone else up for this half?

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Normski, I was thinking of doing this one this year, but will depend on how I recover from New Forest marathon in Sept. I should think Nov gives me plenty of recovery time, but you never know if you're going to pick up an injury during a marathon.

Have you done this one before? I haven't.
  • Options
    I think I did it back in the 80's. Couldnt help but be impressed by race reports, so looking forward to it. I'm doing the NF half during the training for this one.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a potential pb course about 4-8 weeks after NF and this one falls in quite nicely. Or there's Stroud, which I've also read good reports about.
  • Options
    Hilly,

I've pencilled this one in again for this year. It'll be my 4th time, it's a fast & almost completetly flat 2-lap course, with a just a few twists & turns in the 2nd half of each lap. I got a new PB here last year after doing the NF marathon too. There's ample recovery time to do both races - you could even manage to do the GSR or the hayling 10 as well!

TTT.
  • Options
    I'll be there Mr Norm sir!!

• Options
    I've been running for a year now and have decided to go for broke and enter Paris marathon 06. Have GSR in Oct so how would Gosport Half do for a first half marathon before I really go for the miles...? (Secretly terrified about Paris and want to get competitive miles under my belt!)
  • Options
    I feel I ought to enter this one, as it is very local, but I'm dithering a bit.

Struggling to increase mileage after a holiday lull, and I suppose I am waiting to see how I do in the New Forest Half in September. I entered last year but had to pull out due to breaking my toe in a DIY accident!

I expect I'll enter before long, encouraged by all the other chat on the thread... Watch this space.
  • Options
    Been a few days since anybody posted. Hows it all going?
    Have 'bitten the bullet'and given my New Forest half number away. I dont want to struggle and get put off/injured so early in the 'season', and decent mileage has been curtailed by work commitments and getting over injury!
    Only planning on two races before this -Cabbage Patch 10, and Barns Green Half.
  • Options
    Afternoon Mr Normski sir.

Posted off my application for this yesterday, so that's me committed now. Did a steady 10 miles on Sunday, nice to get a long run in, but nothing since then. I play football on Wednesdays and tonight Pompey are at home so I'll not run again until Thursday.

Doing the Great Run double this year, so should be in fine fettle for that, fingers crossed!

Oh, and I've changed my username too, but you probably noticed that!

• Options
    Its good to get the miles in,isnt it?
    Ive recently broken through the 'one hour continuous run' barrier (again!)
    What are your expectations,time-wise,for the GSR and GNR?
  • Options
    GNR - just going to enjoy the day really. With the crowds etc there's no point going for a PB. 2 hours-ish will do for me.

GSR - my home turf - I run most of the course 3 times a week! Last year was 1:38 after only starting running 2 months before it, so going for a 1:25 this year - this is my cup final!

Gosport should be interesting. My half pb is 1:50.54 which I did at Bath before FLM this year. Just to get near that again would be nice!

• Options
    Aiming for under 2 hours for Gosport.Ive done Bath before, during the early 90's. (Fantastic back-drop for start and finish),but have heard a lot of negative reports about it recently. Victim of its own success?
    Will settle for watching both Great Runs on the tele, or may pop over to Pompey to spectate.
  • Options
    Hendo - I also started running 2 months before GSR last year to and managed 1.38 - this year I am also aiming for 1.25. So I am jealous to see that you've already done a marathon. I've decided to go for Paris next April and will do my first half at Gosport. It's only up the road for me but I'm too scared to drive let alone run the course first! Any tips? Also, how did you get on with FLM? I am desperately trying to get mental support for this marathon business. I still think I'm barking because I'm still calling myself a novice...
  • Options
    Hi Lou

I've got Paris on my reserve list in case I don't get into London. From other threads it looks like the message is to act quick once the London rejections come through as that's when it fills up quickly.

Any tips... hmmm... long and slow, so to speak! Keep coming back here as your mileage builds up and there'll be plenty of people around to answer specific questions or to give advice. The one thing i always say though is enjoy the long runs and don't put any time pressures on yourself, it really doesn't matter and you'll only injure yourself if you push too hard. Also, be flexible when following a schedule. If your body needs rest, give it rest. I tend to use Hal Higdon's schedules for races. Have a look here Hal Higdon

FLM was superb, although perhaps one of the most painful experiences of my life. The mental support bit is vital, you really have to be 100% committed to the training to "enjoy" the day. Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks Hendo

It's good to hear from someone who started running when I did. I thought a marathon would be years away but I've already crossed the finish line in my head! Will enter Paris as soon as entries open - 1st Sept I think. In the meantime I've already made the most of Hal Higdon - have nearly finished his Marathon Training Guide which is so straightforward - I've now just got to do what he says... Thanks for the tips, will report back with progress or problems!
  • Options
    Ditto Hendo's comments re FLM, or any marathon really. If you aren't ready (mentally, emotionally, and especially physically!) the thing will come up and bite you on the ass really hard, even IF the crowd support is as good as in London.
    Having said that, the atmosphere is truly awesome in London and well well well worth the training!
  • Options
    Hi guys

Signed up for this because I don't want to lose my training 'momentum' after the GSR - and also because Gosport is my home town!

Hendo - you were very helpful with your GSR route - any chance you could do the same for Gosport? If it starts at Bay House is it mostly a seafront route? And is two laps fairly tough mentally? I've had a look at the times of some of last years finishers, and there's a fighting chance I'll be lapped! :)

EE
  • Options
    Sorry Edna, this will be my first Gosport Half so I have no idea of the route! What I do know is that it's two laps and takes in a bit of the seafront at Lee on Solent. I think...

• Options
    I've just posted my form too. Will be my first half in a race.
  • Options
    Gosport Route from memory, forgive me for not knowing the street names I only know how to get to places.

Start off a bay house do a quick mini-lap then set off along the seafront, past along the tree lined road towards Haslar, pass in front of Haslar Hospital. Then out to the one way system and back towards Bay House. Repeat the larger loop and finish in the driveway of the school.

• Options
    Rob

Cheers for this, although trying to picture that route is quite daunting! Remembering that coastline from my youth, I think some sort of galeforce windproof running gear may be in order :)

My cheque was cashed last week, so I know they've got my number. I now just have to hope I survive the GSR with enough spirit (and skin left on my feet) to face my home town half!

EE
  • Options
    Yeah but at least gosport put you on the seafront west to east! Hayling stick the seafront in east to west!

I'm up for it again this year. Disapointed with time last year (it was strangely muggy and I spoke to a few peops afterwards that agreed). But coming back from injury this year, so not going for pb just yet.

Good luck with the training everyone.

Shall we start a "list"?
    Normski (Barns Green or bust!)
    The Treadmill Trainer
    Hendo(ex Pompey Jon)
    Little Lou
    Rachael Reynolds
    Evil Edna
  • Options
    Hi

I'm thinking of running this as just had to pull-out of Cardiff half (would have been my first half!). Does anyone know if this is easy to get to from London on the day?

Thanks
  • Options
    Depending on where in London you're coming from Neil, it's a 60-70 mile hop down the A3. Unfortunately Gosport rubbish for public transport although you could get a train to Portsmouth Harbour, Gosport Ferry across and then a cab?

Personally i'd give myself a couple of hours to be there comfortably by car.

• Options
    Count me in - I've just sent off my application. Was pleased with my first Half at New Forest, so hope to do well on the flat here.

I have put the list in alphabetical order (couldn't resist it, sorry!) and added my, fairly optimistic, target time. Anyone else care to add theirs?

BrianM - 1:40
    Evil Edna
    Hendo(ex Pompey Jon)
    Little Lou
    Rachael Reynolds
    The Treadmill Trainer
  • Options
    Cheers for that Hendo...sounds a bit 'planes, trains, automobiles'! Looks like a good race though...will ponder on.
  • Options
    Wow. I feel like i've arrived - i'm on a proper list!

Have now officially entered the Paris Marathon - my first. The Gosport half will be my first so if I make my target of 1.28 at the GSR I wonder if i'll be able to crack 2 hours. I spoke to a friend that did this last year and did complain about the muggy weather but was more annoyed with the lack of support on the route. I need support to get me anywhere. Should I rent a crowd or is it really not that bad?!
  • Options
    OK...time prediction added. Given its my first half marathon I reserve the right to a) change this time up or down according to how the GSR goes in 11 days time, and b) since my folks still live there, if it all goes a bit Pete Tong, to sneak off the course and get the bus hom :) Though that wouldn't be cricket. Or indeed, running.

Evil Edna - 2:30 would be nice
    Hendo(ex Pompey Jon)
    Little Lou
    Rachael Reynolds
    The Treadmill Trainer

Hendo - doesn't look like long now until Harry 'Judas' Redknapp will be Clive Woodward's teaboy - reckon Reggie could find him a job at Fratton?

EE (who, having grown up in Gosport was warned about the evil Scummers from an early age!)
  • Options
    Oops - so chuffed to be on a proper list forgot to put my very optimistic time on

Evil Edna - 2:30 would be nice
    Hendo(ex Pompey Jon)
    Little Lou - 2:00
    Rachael Reynolds
    The Treadmill Trainer

Have just done a quick run and now my kneecaps feel like they're going to fall off. Any tips - apart from rest them...?
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    Am thinking about doing this one as i need to excise some demons about this race!
    After a "good for me" GSR last year,I decided to do this event.
    At the 2004 event I got lost finding the start, arriving after the offical start time (luckily delayed),felt ok until the second lap when the wheels came off ,feeling more and more terrible until the 11 mile marker when I had a policeman and a marshall trying to prop me up against a BT junction box.
    Somehow managed to stagger across the finish line in just under 2 hrs. On the way home I pranged the car and had a headache that lasted 4 days.
    Total cost of race £400.

bingo(a true Saints Fan- perhaps I should wear the shirt for this race? ;o))