Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I think you are all being a bit unkind to Gosport.

There's ...... erm!

erm...?

erm...??

Oh, well maybe you're right!!
  • Options
    The ferry to Portsmouth?
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I may be out of line but I'm kind of getting the impression that it may not be the best day out they'll ever have... Unless my 2 year old can get her hands on any live grenades then she would definitely be up for the windsurfer thing!

McD
  • Options
    Submarine museum is not far off the route
  • Options
    Theres Explosion! at Priddys hard too - naval armouries exhibition thingy, thats quite good too.

• Options
    A naval armouries exhibition? .... for a 2 year old!

tee hee!

Listen, my mother in law lives in Gosport and hosts leisure outings as a business. If she says there's nothing to do, then there's definately nothing to do. Watch this space, I will e-mail her...
  • Options
    Morning!

As someone who was born and brought up in Gosport I can unfortunately back up Hendo's assessment that one of its main assets is the ferry to Portsmouth, A32 out of town etc etc! Some parts of town aren't too bad, but aside from the seafront and a caravan park there really is nothing of entertainment value around the area that the run starts and ends (unless Bay House School will let the kids in to their art room! Worth asking....)

EE

p.s. As for windsurfers, thats assuming they haven't been chased away by the jetskis!
  • Options
    Here's the interim response:

"Yes will be glad to help you. I will compile a list of activities and where
    they all are. There is PLENTY to do for families!!!I will also find out about B&B. I could do a single! I will get on to it as soon as possible."
  • Options
    Blimey, this could be interesting!

<waits with baited breath>
  • Options
    (I just reckon she's going to arrange for more surfers than usual to be near the shoreline, perhaps wearing targets on their wetsuits...)

.. no, I mustn't be cynical. She's an expert at these things (honest, runs a company offering all sorts of excursions), so I'm sure she'll come up with something.
  • Options
    lol, missed the 2 year old bit!!

I was bought up in gosport too and was just racking my brains for things to do, that's all I could come up with!!
  • Options
    Ally, the two year-old could be an early developer, you never know.

:-)
  • Options
    Blimey! what have I started? The two year old might be interested in the armouries exhibition if she thought it gave her any chance of getting hold of any explosives or firearms, she would then just entertain herself destroying stuff. But she'll probably do that anyway. If you see a frantic father in running gear trying to put the barriers back or replace the sign posts, that'll be me.

Joking aside, though, thanks for your help I'll wait for the itinerary of planned activities!

McD
  • Options
    ...still collating information on local accommodation and entertainments... Boy, are you lot gonna have fun or what? Your families won't want to come home! :-)

My accommodation happens to be exactly 6 minutes walk from the starting line; how good is that ?!!!

In the meantime though, just one tiny question.... how do we know that we've been successfully entered into this race? Do they send numbers out, send an e-mail or what?

Anyone had a number through the post?
  • Options
    Where you staying glycogen? I don't know the area at all!
  • Options
    How maany laps are there to this race?
  • Options
    Hi BDB - at my mother-in-law's. tee hee! But seriously, she's sorting out a list of tried-and-tested B&B's/hotels and family entertainment. Reports say that parking was a problem in previous races, so keeping the car away from the starting area would be a good idea.

I'll post info as soon as it comes. Will probably get people to send me an e-mail, and I'll despatch the info that way. www.solentevents.biz - that's her company.

Julia, I understand it's two 'loops' rather than laps, as they're not identical. Someone might correct me on that though, as I've not done it before.

Anyone like me from "up 'norf?". I've just done Congleton, about to do Worksop and also the Nottingham Turkey Trot. Anyone doing those too?

And, anyone got a number through the post for Gosport?
  • Options
    Thanks glycogen. I'll keep me eyes peeled for updates. I've not sent our apps in yet though so I hoping that this hasn't filled up just yet.
  • Options
    They ask for an email address on the application form, so they may send out confirmations that way. But I haven't received anything yet. However, as the cheque has been cashed I am expecting to be OK and am just waiting for the race pack to arrive in the 2 weeks before the race.
  • Options
    From memory I don't think the closing date for the race is until the 1st November so I guess our numbers will come out just after that.

Regarding the route, my friend who did this last year said there was one small loop followed by two large loops so there we go. I think there's an earlier posting on this thread with more details on it.

I only live a few miles along the shore from Gosport but don't know it well. I'm not going to drive the route before I run it for fear it will completely put me off but any tips on parking if there's not much space? Actually, I think there should be space where the windsurfers park - if I can remember where that bit is...
  • Options
    Hey Lou (who will shortly be known as "Looping Lou", if her course description is correct) - I wouldn't worry about the course. I did the Wolverhampton half in September. Now I'm not sure if you know Wolverhampton, but you'll have heard of it... the run began up a long hill. Where? To the ring road. Hum. Wolverhampton Ring Road, a day to remember always.

Gosport in comparison will be fine. And no matter what, you'll have a good time. I say drive it. And give us a complete course description ;-), mile-by-mile. I would do the same, but I live 175 miles away!
  • Options
    RIGHT! I HAVE THE INFO!

INFO for all runners needing to find entertainment for their families on 19th/20th November.

INFO for runners looking for a B&B within walking distance of the start line.

My mother-in-law has kindly compiled a list of family entertainments and a couple of B&B's in the vicinity of the start line.

It's an MS-Word document, which you can get by visiting www.solentevents.biz and choosing the "e-mail us" option, or by clicking the "e-mail member" button above this posting. If you e-mail me though, you'll need to include your full e-mail address in your text, as RW do not pass e-mail information on. If you don't have Word, just tell me or Solent Events and we can send info as Acrobat file.

None of this is being organised by Solent Events, she's just doing me a personal favour. So don't worry, there's no commission :-)
  • Options
    Good grief this is fantastic. I feel informed and remotivated. I am actually starting to look forward to this race! I will now find out what i can and drive the course this weekend and report back with dips, hills, dodgy manhole covers, windsurf debris, etc.

Now then, what about pubs?...
  • Options
    Well that's me entered and looking forward to beating my yearly goal of 1:30. hopefully the weather will be kind my children are coming for the fun run and they get all concerned when it is not hot.
    Good luck everyone and hope you all enjoy it as well.
  • Options
    After my injury prone spring, and a summer spent sailing I've decided it's time to get back into this 'running thing' before next years FLM. Did OK in the GSR the other week so now I'm looking at Gosport. Does anyone know how close the start is to the ferry termnal? I really don't want to drive all the way round from Portsmouth if I don't have to.
  • Options
    Looks like about 2 miles, give or take.

(Gomer Lane - just type it into streetmap.co.uk)
  • Options
    glycogen - you've got mail!

Many thanks for your help with this.
  • Options
    Boing (always wanted to do that!)

Just an update for glycogen who very kindly sent me details of accomodation> I've not booked anything yet as I've got a bit of a niggle on my hip so I may not be able to do the race. I;ve got to see how things go over the next week before booking up. I've sent out race apps in though so I'd be a bit gutted to miss out.
  • Options
    Hi people,

I've not run many races this year due to ill-health/injury. But I did Abingdon Mara a couple of weeks ago & I surprised myself with a new PB. Plus I passed through the halfway point just 3 minutes slower than my half PB & was feeling very comfortable. So it got me thinking that I should test my legs out & see if I can get a new half M' PB.

This race seems to fit the bill, in terms of terrain, timing & location. So all I have to do now is shake this flu thing I've got & get some training in ;-0
  • Options
    Go for it Sol. What time are you aiming for? There's a wide range of speeds in this race.

Hey BDB, sorry to learn about the injury. Just a suggestion though, why don't you sketch yourself a brand-new hip?