Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    The best I've done in training is 1:57:59 so I'll be happy with sub 2.

BrianM - 1:40
    Evil Edna - 2:30 would be nice
    Hendo(ex Pompey Jon)
    Little Lou - 2:00
    Normski (Barns Green or bust!)
    Rachael Reynolds < 2.00
    The Treadmill Trainer
  • Options
    bingo,

wear your shirt around St Mary's on a Saturday afternoon and they might give you a game - couldn't do much worse than they are at the moment!
  • Options
    <<tries really hard not to turn this into a Pompey v Scum football thread>>

• Options
    after tonights performance perhaps I should dust down my striking boots..
    Anyway before we bore everyone else on this increasingly Saints/skates thread,I've put my name and time on to the list.

bingo -<1.55
    BrianM - 1:40
    Evil Edna - 2:30 would be nice
    Hendo(ex Pompey Jon)
    Little Lou - 2:00
    Normski (Barns Green or bust!)
    Rachael Reynolds < 2.00
    The Treadmill Trainer
  • Options
    Hello budding seafront sprinters! I'm doing this one too. Apparently it's dead flat, which doesn't suit me very much, but it's the home town of my wife, so at least the accommodation is free. I'm doing a bumpy Congleton this weekend, and shooting for 1:45. Can't give a target for Gosport until I flunk Congleton. Good luck to everyone, especially the first timers. Hope it's not too windy.
  • Options
    Oh my god. I've just been informed that i have patella tendonitis. I celebrated a bit at first as this is my first proper injury as a proper runner. And then common sense and misery sunk in as it looks that my increased training for GSR has done me in. Going to get it taped up and start on Saturday and see if i can do anything at all but feeling really despondent. I won't have run for 2 weeks so am gutted. My friend is a physio and advised lots of rest no matter what happens on the day but it's only a matter of weeks before Gosport and my first half. Has anyone suffered from this? Should I forget it? Help. I feel crap and need positive vibes please before I try to saw off my knee cap and bury it in the garden...
  • Options
    I mean the GSR on Sunday not Saturday. See - this trauma has gone to my brian. or my brain. i am finished.
  • Options
    It's best to rest it, Lou. You're supposed to avoid doing the activity that aggrevated it, which I presume is running in your case. It's an over-use injury; too much too soon. If you feel it hurting when running, it won't heal if you carry on.

I spent most of this summer referring my injuries from one leg to the other, until eventually I got a stress fracture. I missed my big event (Loch Ness Marathon) and had to reduce my mileage. You'll have to do the same. If you try to kid yourself then it'll nag you all winter. Better to rest it, and then pick another half marathin if it doesn't fix in time.
  • Options
    Thank you GF. You're absolutely right of course. I'm going to take physio's advice on Friday and aim to start but will definitely stop if it hurts. Now I know how depressing it is to injure yourself. I have a place in the Paris Marathon (my first big one) in April and will try to focus further ahead in a bid to not get depressed about what i might miss in the meantime. Right, back to the frozen peas.
  • Options
    That's the spirit Lou. Remember that your biggest challenge is not to participate in every run, but instead to focus on quality running. If you miss Gosport, you'll be in good shape for Paris (and I know which one I'd choose). :-)
  • Options
    You're a quiet lot on this forum, or is everyone too busy training? Gulp, hope not - don't want to come last.

OK, my entry's in. Just done Congleton in 1:42, so I'm shooting for 1:40 at Gosport. Gos' is flatter than Congleton. Hope everyine's looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Shall be doing this one too , but hopefully unlike last year, shall not be standing on the sea front wondering where everyone is at the start then realising the start had actually moved, and looking like a complete plonker sprinting over there before the gun - doh!
  • Options
    Hi all - wanting to do this following on from Kent Coastal half early Sept (1:45:08) so hoping for a new PB as it's flat and hopefully a lot cooler! Did GSR yesterday in 1:13:16 so feeling in reasonable shape.

My wife would like to do it also but need to know what the field is like. Everyone here sounds fairly quick but Mrs BDB is likely to be around 3hrs 15. Will she be the last one out on the course? Also any tips on accomodation for the Saturday night would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a particularly competitive field, there's plenty of 2hrs+ runners. I had a quick look at last year's results but for some reason the final page (16) wasn't published on the website, if it exists. At the end of page 15, the time was 2hrs 28, so I would imagine that 3hrs 15 will be close to last. But is that a reason not to enter? If Mrs. BDB is out there having fun, then what does it matter? I say plan a nice weekend out, and include the Sunday morning 'arf.
  • Options
    Thanks gf - I might drop the club a line.

As it's a 2 lap course she won't get lost and I could always jog back and come in the last few miles with her. I don't like the idea of her being the only person running along a busy road though.
  • Options
    Mr BDB, When I did my first bit of running last summer - i was in the 'trailing pack' a couple of times. I wasn't the slightest bit phased because i was too busy graciously accepting the cheers from the stalwort supporters who hung around to clap me on. It's the only thing that kept me running in the first place.

Well Glyco-free - did what you said at GSR and took my knee around 'gently' at GSR - did 1.31 - was originally aiming for 1:25 but 2 weeks rest put paid to that. I'm just relieved I was sensible to the bitter end. I can now look forward to my first half at Gosport feeling realistic. You're so right, you have to look further ahead than the next race and listen to what your [knackered old] bod is telling you! Your words of common sense echoed in my head at mile 8. Thank you.
  • Options
    Hey Lou, I'm not worthy of that. I just stated the blinking obvious, something that you knew already but just needed to hear from someone else. Well done anyway, really glad it turned out well for you. Glad you're looking forward to Gosport!
  • Options
    Hi Little Lou

Thanks for you post and congrats on your GSR result. 1:31 in those conditions with a knee injury is great result!

My wife is pretty realistic about her form and is really enjoying her running. I don't want her to take a big hit in confidence though. She loved GSR yesterday, but mass particpation events are very different to club runs, especially for those towards the back. I'll feed back to her everyones comments. I'm sure she'll still want to do it.

Any recommendations for accomodation? Price not too much of an issue alsong as it's comfy, quiet and convenient.
  • Options
    Hello BDB

Your wife won't be alone at the back of the field, as I shall be there! Finished the GSR yesterday in 1:45, so would expect to take best part of 2:30 for the Gosport Half. Possibly more if my hips let me down like they did on mile 8 yesterday! And don't worry about busy roads - if its a typical late November day, the seafront will be deserted because its too cold! Oops...that's not very encouraging!

Will have a think about accommodation tips...

EE
  • Options
    If anyone needs accommodation, try http://www.smoothound.co.uk/. I use this website whenever I'm looking for accommodation at places I've never been before.

BDB: the forum has spoken. You and your spouse WILL participate in the half marathon.... ;-)
  • Options
    I don't live far from Gosport but don't know of any really local hotels although I know that virtually the entire seafront at Lee-on-Solent is made up of small hotels and b&bs.

The only hotel i know within a 10 minute drive is probably the Holiday Inn at Titchfield (listed under Fareham I think). If you're looking for somewhere a bit more 'intimate' it might be wise to wait for other postings here.

I've just been speaking to a friend of mine who ran the Gosport Half last year and said that there were several plus 3 hour runners so Mrs BDB will not be alone. However, it appears that the one thing seriously lacking at this event last year was good support... I'm not relishing this as I need sympathetic/positive people to get me round.

I for one (and my rentacrowd if they're necessary) will be cheering loudly for everyone who finishes after running for that length of time. I know I couldn't do it. If I had the energy (which is highly unlikely) I would also like to run back and run with Mrs BDB. I hope she goes for it and if so, she should wear her name (Mrs BDB)in big letters so as many people here can cheer her on.

• Options
    Many thanks Evil Edna, glycogen and Little Lou. How can we not take part now?

Forms will be filled in this evening and sent off in the morning.

Thnaks for your encouragement!
  • Options
    Go get 'em Mr & Mrs BDB !!
  • Options
    I wouldn't try the Holiday Inn at Titchfield - Its reception and dining room burnt down after a lighting strike. Still rebuilding it the last time I passed.

Could always try Fareham Tourist Information (01329) 221342
    or Gosport Tourist Information (023) 9252 2944
  • Options
    I'm going to give this a crack as after the New Forest Half and the GSR my diary is all to clear and the temptation to stay at home and eat pies may be too great!

Can anybody tell me if there is much around the course to entertain a bored wife and two children. They like to see me start and finish, it's the bit in the middle that causes the problems and despite my sister in law living about 5 miles away, I've never been to Gosport.

Many thanks

McD (And Mrs McD)
  • Options
    It's a two-lap course MacDaz so they'll be able to look for you at half way too! Apart from that it's throwing stones into the sea for 2 hours....

• Options
    Thanks Hendo, I may need to dress that up a bit when I sell the idea!
  • Options
    Trust me, it's dressed up when the other option is a tour of Gosport!

• Options
    That's easy, "Hey kids, you know how I've always told you never to throw stones? Well just this once, see if you can skim a pebble and hit that chap on his windsurf. I'll buy you an ice cream if he falls in".

:-)
  • Options
    I'm going to drag my three children along to watch their parents kill themselves on this run. There is a fun run that two of them can do on the day. I think it's an under 12 fun run if yours interested - 1 mile I think. Other than that Gosport has nothing really going for it on the entertainment stakes. I'd go for the windsurfer/pebble target practice any day - I know the kids will...