Options

Maidstone Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Helena,

Race HQ is just off the A20 on the eastern side of Maidstone, and the entrance should be signposted if you come through the town centre.

I've now been told that I'm marshalling on the Main Road just before the start, so do say "hello" if you spot me. I hope the weather's better than last night's club run, when my picture would have been a better bet than running kit!
  • Options
    Race Number arrived: 443

Picked up a bit of a bug and hoping it doesn't affect me too much.
    I had a left knee problem on my last run, which made me run/walk for the first 6 miles. So I'm hoping that doesn't recur as well.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Andrew, will you be wearing a wetsuit, when marshalling, so we can recognise you?

Any more numbers before we update the list again?
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Well done Jeychick, now take it easy please until Sunday.
  • Options
    well done jeychick,will bring the vick on sunday.
    not too sure about wearing a ribbon though,think i'll just try to remember the numbers.i have a confession to make,i went to the gym tonight and ran on the treadmill,only had 1/2 hour to spare so thought it would be quicker than going on the road.
    will accept my punishment on sunday.
    anyone know what distance the water stations are?.working out when to take my energy gels.
  • Options
    I'm in for this one as well. #338. I should get round in about 1'45 - 1'50 if all goes as expected.
  • Options
    Paul

On the subject of gels, how many would you normally take in a half marathon? One per water station anyway or just one when you think you needed it.

Thanks
  • Options
    yes sir Mr Redhead I will be taking it as easy as is possible with with 3 small children... :-)

Paul - how did you know I love vicks??? I am so going to get some today. Sounds like your race prep is going excellently. If I don't run (chest still rubbish) I'll still be there cheering you on and watching you achieve your target.

• Options
    Just been for my last run prior to sunday! was meant to be 4miler, however nearing the end met a friend and carried on running..... ending up nearer 8miles!!! Muppet!!! still at least it was a positive 8 miles, hopefully I can maiantain current positive feeling throughout sunday!
  • Options
    KH,

I started using gels for FLM this year and found they really worked for me.

I use the Lucozade Carbo Gels and found that I have to take them at a water station as they are just too "gooey" to take on their own.

I'll have a gel at the start and then at each water station which will hopefully be around every 3-4 miles.

HTH

Dave
  • Options
    good luck for sunday everyone! i meant to run last night but it was wet and i'm resting a sore foot for the race.

on being able to identify each other, i thought of market penning my name on the back of my running top, but it may wear off with the sweat.

i'll be happy with 1 hour 50 if it's going to be hilly (did my only other half marathon in 1 hour 47 at paddock wood, but i had a lot of running in my legs that day and it was quite flat).

i've stupidly signed up to do the barns green half marathon the following sunday, so may try to conserve my energies (or i may just run like a daftie).

on gels, do they definitely work? i tried one before the gruelling lingfield 10 miler in the summer and it tasted awful and i felt knackered throughout.
  • Options
    "i've stupidly signed up to do the barns green half marathon the following sunday, so may try to conserve my energies (or i may just run like a daftie)"

you should worry, lozzer - I'm doing the Beachy Head marathon the following Saturday - but seven days is plenty to get over just a Half marathon.

on the matter of gels, they're not really required for anything less than 15 miles - but if you do feel the need, try the isotonic ones, which don't need mixing with water.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Excuse me Jeychick but I'm a laydee!!!!!!

<sticks chest out and flounces out of thread in a very feminine way>
  • Options
    you'd best change your piccy from a lion to a lioness then Red, if you want to avoid giving out confusing signals in future.

Snoop (no question!) Dogg ;0)
  • Options
    Come back Redhead, I can vouch for you being a lady.
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback snoop - i'll maybe try one of them gels for the barns green half.

good luck with beachy head - that sounds pretty hilly (i've walked up there, but running it sounds scarey).

we believe you redhead! what time you expecting to do?
  • Options
    Hi there, all buzzing with energy!

I am really excited about Sunday, got babysitting arranged and I am forcing myself to take it easy - I run Tuesday (10 km) and Weds (7 km fast) so maybe I am going to do a short run on Sat, and that's it! (After reading the RW article on coming last I am not worried about that anymore.)

Now, the very sad news is that I have lost my favourite running top. It is nowhere to be found. And no, I did not take it off in the middle of the run in the spur of the moment. In a house with two small children these things happen frequently... Jeychick I am sure you know what I am talking about!Three my goodness you are a superwoman.

So now I need to get a new top as my second favourite is too skimpy and I am afraid to get cold. Does anybody (of the ladeez) use tank tops with support? Which one would you recommend? The nike red one looked good.

Thanks see you all Sunday, I am the one who looks like the picture on the right!
  • Options
    Dave

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes on the day. I guess we're all of different abilities here, so some may need gels more than others. Especially if we're only running "just half a marathon". Right, not!

Good luck on the day, enjoy it!

Kevin
  • Options
    Right! probabbly my last posting prior to the run (leaving work soon, lucky me!). I won't be back in contact until Monday .... so see you there , all the best to all of you and hope all targets are achieved!!!:)

Thought I'd do something useful and summmarise those entries / numbers to date, just in case we all feel like being sociable on Sunday.

Ajax (40)
    Cliff Face (247)
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Gareth L
    Ghengis
    Here's Johnny (335)
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney (75)
    Lozzer (246)
    Mad not Mad (13)
    Metrognome (443)
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Paul Nelder (352)
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly (277)
    Quicksilver (204)
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T (368) ***
    Simon Edwards 6
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Stellina (93)
    Tiger

*** denotes the first forumite to post their number ;-))))

Apologies if I've missed someone!

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    Just removing Gaz as he's not doing it now.

Ajax (40)
    Cliff Face (247)
    Dave Cox (229)
    Dayglo (219)
    Ghengis
    Here's Johnny (335)
    Jey Chick (#67)
    Kevin Hanney (75)
    Lozzer (246)
    Mad not Mad (13)
    Metrognome (443)
    Nimble Nat
    Old Virgin 265
    Paul Nelder (352)
    Potting Shed
    Puffing Belly (277)
    Quicksilver (204)
    Red or Dead (#21)
    Redhead (#66)
    Sandie.T (368) ***
    Simon Edwards 6
    Scotty
    Snoop Dogg (312)
    Stellina (93)
    Tiger

Have a good one peeps :-)
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Snoopy, you're such a picky puppy. I'd had the same piccy of a cute ginger kitten for 3 years and MikeFrog gave me this one to show my inner strength - or maybe he thinks I look like a man! ;-)))))

Thanks DaveC xxx

Are we all ready for a nice little run?
  • Options
    Good Luck to everyone on Sunday...!

Cheers,

RedOrDead
  • Options
    dunno who he is, Red! Are you sure he didn't give you a dodgy piccy as a wind-up?? With a name like that, anything is possible, I should think!

Never mind though - I'm sure no-one will mistake your gender after meeting you in the flesh.
  • Options
    Good luck one and all, looking forward to it. Small warmup along sea front tomorrow then I'm ready

If I can I 'll try to find a dayglo headband, but then that might just be too embarassing and I think they ran out of those in the 80s ;)
  • Options
    Oh for goodness sake I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Anyway, to all you superwomen out there - .... on a friday evening, after a *bleep* inset day, hours before a race, and it's just me and the sprogs - I am definately more of a firefighter.

Think I'll run away for a week before my next race.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Snoopy, I won't be showing anyone my flesh if the weather's like it was today ;-)

<hands Jeychick a hosepipe to practice with>
  • Options
    Stellina

I wouldn't go out and buy a new running top. The second favourite sounds OK
  • Options
    kevin h,
    on the subject of gels,i would normally take them at 5 and 9 or 10 miles,but the carbo gels do need water,thanet coastal 1/2 they handed out 2 gels to each runner at the water stations.(hint,hint to the organiser).i think they do work but maybe i have just convinced myself they work.you wouldn't need to take them before you run as they replenish lost energy.
  • Options
    Paul

Thanks for that. Will try tomorrow. I didn't try them at the Thanet 1/2 but should have done. I'll never forget the heat on that day! Maybe see you at Maidstone

Good luck tomorrow to all of you on this forum.

Kevin