Options

Sunday 2nd October

Comments

• Options
    Running Bear - very discriptive info there, not that far from me really, may have to check that out at some point.
  • Options
    Well done Pammie, Minks, Wardi, hilly, Paul, SGQ
    MikeB still a solid run sub 2:30 shape & it's only October :-)

SiT, hope the comeback has been successful :-)
  • Options
    Speedie - I could have run another lap and felt okay. The main problems are my feet, the plantar which can get a bit tight, maybe I should order a new pair of Mavericks :) The other problem I had, was in the groin/pelvis region, my abs feel a bit sore, the legs are fine. This week was quite heavy. I am doing the Kingston 16m next week and will see how I get on. Two mates of mine are doing L2B, will be interesting to see how they get on, can't imagine to run 55m!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone

MikeB – Take care of yourself and get well soon.
    Good racing under the circumstances

JGRM – thanks. Its one milestone conquered sometimes you its like running through a brick wall to achieve. Now I have gives me extra confidence.
    Shame about your race but all miles in the bank. Will come in useful in a future race.

Oft – well done on the pb even better when its unexpected.

URR - not sure on Micksta as i didn't see him post race. One of my team mates (oh i can say that now) was 3rd i think in about 32:09 though will have to wait for official reports to come up.
  • Options
    OK, lets just hope I dont miss anyone out.

Mava – don’t worry about the idiots. We marshalled the junction by Streatham station and my wife got a load of verbal from a few drivers for helping the runners through. Needless to say she did the job well, I mean where do they have to be so urgently at that time in the morning and do they really not have a clue that the guys running past them are in the middle of a 60-mile race (er, the signs saying London to Brighton Runners sort of give them a clue). When the lead van gave me our instructions, the bus behind that was being held up for a nano-second started honking his horn (tw@t). Great race, and I really hope they don’t scrap it.

StreathamWardi – sounds interesting, never seen a sheep invasion at a race.

RFJ – storming time, and well done for getting a PB.

SGQ – good stuff, you will smash that PB soon.

Paul l – well done on your PB, must be a good day for it.

Hilly – you need to start giving them head starts soon. Congrats on your win.

Pammie – great running and some pretty consistent splits. I bet you are well chuffed.

Minks – cor another PB for todays thread. Hey, a PB is a PB, it does not have to be taken reservedly, big it up.

MikeB – well done on your race, must be good to track runners at that level (feeling rough as well).

Oft – that’s great. I like you comment at the end, “Stick with it if things are not going well people ! Its worth the wait..”

• Options
    Oops, and for today:

Well the training today was good but seeing the London to Brighton road race was really inspiring. The leading runnners were flying, and it was absolutely amazing to watch.

What: weights session; 45 minutes steady run
    Why: marathon training
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Friday

Why do weekends go so fast?

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Great racing today,

PaulL _PB well done
    Well done also Hilly.
    Happy birthday and well ran Wardi
    Good effort SGQ
    Pammie - Fab PB
    Well ran Minks
    Well done also Mike B
    Oft great PB - Will have to check our offical finish times, on the Gun I did 1:30:59 chip time could be closer to your 1:30:52 (I was in all white with a Red Bandana.....)

Race Report from Bristol Half (as promised)

Still awaiting offical result:

Anyway, crawled out of bed at 5:30 for the 80 or so mile drive to Bristol. Arrived in good time after using the Park and Ride to get in. Plenty of other runners around and trying to find the way to the start.

Realy impressed with the village set up and all the loos. After changing warming up and handing bags in it was off to the start, this was qiute a narrow holding area, found a loo (Again) with no queue, found out after wards that it was in the elite pen (hence no queue), got out of there in a hurry and found way back to holding area as it had now been marshalled off from the elite area.........

I was wanting a PB here so anything sub 1:35:22 would be good, but knowing that I have been in good shape wanted better than that. so for the off....

Cont.......

• Options
    Good racing everyone, congrats on the pb OFT.

what - nothing as yet, may get the turbo out for 45 minute spin later.

why - Partner has been away doing the Loch Ness Mara (she did 3.58) and not back til tomorrow night so I've been chained to the kids.

Starting my new weight training for cyclists regime tomorrow! It's pretty full on so it better work. Just going to use the council leisure centre at first, luckily there is one with a decent free weights room just down the road.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Mile 1 - 7:07 very crowded and windy
    Mile 2 - 6:41 opening up, a bit pacey
    Mile 3 - 6:49 On to the open road
    Mile 4 - 6:54 Settling down into a good pace
    Mile 5 - 6:59 See Vest No 1 (Steve Cram) on other side of road (striding nicely at his 6m point)
    Mile 6 - 7:06 Turned round now and get caught by club mate (there is only us two from the club running (small world))
    Mile 7 - 6:54 Feeling good and positive
    Mile 8 - 6:42 legs are enjoying this
    Mile 9 - 6:41 Start to feel a blister on left foot, pace still good
    Mile 10 - 7:23 Blister now sore, but dont really know why I have slowed so much.
    Mile 11 - 6:27 that makes up for the last mile
    Mile 12 - 7:11 The only two hills are here they feel like mountains but are only mounds...
    Mile 13 - 6:54 nearly there - oh this is such a great feeling.
    Mile 13.1 So jubilant at getting a PB looking at the gantry 1:30:59 forgot to stop my watch (stupid fool).

So now have to wait for the offical results
    to get my chip time which will be quicker by a few seconds, as my starting position was good due to the loo stop at the start.

So atleat a 4 min PB and may even have got the same time as OFT, we shall have to see.

So I am rather happy at present despite a large blister on the outside of my left foot.....

I do recomend the Bristol Half, it was a great race as im sure it can get better as well.......
  • Options
    Evening all,

wow, so many excellent races and PBs - it really seems particularly like forum half marathon pb weekend! Huge congrats to everyone.

I definitely have the lurgy - possibly an ear infection I think, from all the swimming. I canned my long ride today and have been asleep or lounging almost the whole day. Have eaten industrial quantities of fruit and hoping to feel better tomorrow.

Night all.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Well done to all racers especially all those with pb's.

Well i decided to do my first 10k race in well over a year. Ran the Shelton 10k in Derby. Ran 37.30 quite pleased as I ran 12.5 miles yesterday. Felt good all the way round and know I can improve with more speed training and miles.

Hope to get under 37 mins by Christmas...I think this is achievable.

• Options
    Happy Birthday Wardi

Well done to those racing today in particular RFJ, SQC, Paul l, Hilly,
    Pammie, Minks and Mike B.

WP - what is your trainer advising for the next two weeks. I personally feel you would benefit from lowering the mileage now and letting the body set of fully recovered in 2 weeks time.

On my side, first run to report after 44 days. Ca 6-7km very gentle at plod like pace this am in the forest. Heart rate sky high compared to what I would see when fit but long slow road back to fitness has at last begun.

Even better, Mary finally got a good race in after her own injury misery this year finishing 3rd women overall and 1st in her category in a 15.35 km trail race in just over 67 mins. Not quite near her best but a step back in the right direction.

A happier household tonight!

Simon
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Just found a results page for Bristol - it gets better...

Chip time 1:30:39 (Pos 433)
    Gun Time 1:30:58 (Pos 382)

Daft question: I presume my chip time is my official PB. (not that it matters, its just closer to knocking off nearly 5 mins.......)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Swift recovery Mellisa, all the best.

Many thanks for the birthday greetings, I've had a splendid day.

Pammie.. blistering performance, well done indeed.

RFJ.. stunning PB, I raise my hat to you. You will be worrying the sub-90min brigade before long, great stuff.

Minks.. great effort, take encouragement from this. Well done indeed.
  • Options
    SIT
    fabtastic news -for you and well done to mary
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Good grief, what have you all been up to today. Fantastic stuff!

Fab PB RFJ. You must be really chuffed.

Well done SGQ

Great stuff paul L. Good PB.

hilly, what a great race and you weren't pushing. Fab.

WELL DONE PAMMIE!!!!

PB from you too Minks.

MikeB, sorry you're not well but a good time nevertheless.

And a PB from you too oft.

Good news for you and your OH SiT. Glad you're running again.

Melissa, hope you feel better soon. You too Hippo.

I really hope I haven't missed anyone. Apologies if I have.

Me? family do. Lovely to see niece (two and a half) and nephew (13 months) plus step-ma's OH's grandkids (don't ask, very complicated). Lovely lunch and some wine. Not really the best treatment for a sore throat but pleasant none the less. Don't feel particularly well. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day anyway so I'll be taking it easy (running wise - have a rather big meeting pm).
  • Options
    Simon

That is really good news brilliant long may your comeback continue really best of luck with it.i have everything crossed for you....you really deserve it you have had more than your own share of bad luck

Congrats to Mary that is a great result and 1st lady superb:-)

Coach has only so far given me tomorrows training recovery 6 miles, but winding down will know more tomorrow I do know no more running home from work and next Sunday 13 miles a half marathon @mp.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Eeek - so much to catch up on, been away but ...

SiT - that is such good news!

Minks - brilliant pb, I'm sure that you'll do sub-45 very soon as it sounds as though you had plenty left at the end. I would suspect that as you haven't done many 10ks you don't know just how hard you can go over shorter distances without blowing - my guess would be that you could take a couple of minutes of your time before the end of the year just by running at a slightly higher HR.

Pammie - fab pb, you really are flying, you must be so pleased.

Hilly - first!!!!! Fantastic! You must be so proud! BTW SDMs are so innacurate over hilly courses; I recently ran a 5.6 mile race and my Garmin measured it as 6.4!

And to everyone else ... a huge WELL DONE!!!

What: 70 minutes steady
    Why: ticking over
    Last hard; Eons ago
    Last rest: Saturday

Have a good week, everyone
  • Options
    Great reports - lots of PBs

Pammie - 49.51 PB - congrats - good job well done!

Minks - 46.03 PB - and you thought you weren't doing enough! Well done - you must be pleased.

Hilly - can't be bad going under 42 mins so soon after a marathon and doing it easily - 1st woman - a strong run on a hard course.

Wardi - happy birthday and good running so close after your marathon.

Paul l. - 1.40.14 PB - great stuff.

Oft & RFJ both with PBs and both running 90mins!

SGQ - good run - sounded easy for you.

Bambi legs - great pic - good to see what we all look like.

URR - good long run - do you use a golf ball on your feet? I'm a life member of Owairaka - yes, Lydiard, Snell, Halberg's club. I used to live across the road from the Lovelock Track as a child and joined as a 10 year old. Sadly the club is just about non-existent these days - huge fall from the glory days.

Welsh Poppy - good to get that last long run out of the way - now you have to look after yourself - make sure you eat!

Portaloo - 1 mele is 5 miles and you did 5 of them! Well done - I wish I felt like I did at 40!

Fell liker - I'm from the land of sheep so very used to sheep jokes! You, BR and Treadmill sound like you are having some great runs together.

Mike B - 73.40 and not feeling well - still great running that most can only dream of.

Popsider - congrats to your partner on 3.58 at Loch Ness - was that a PB for her?

Tigerrunner 37.30 10k good running - what's your PB?

• Options
    Evening,

Excellent runnig from stacks of you today

PB's from RFJ, Paul L, Minks and Oft.

Great running from many others.

Corgratulations to you all.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    SiT, very pleased to hear your first run back was pleasant. Hope the SF nightmare is now over! A huge well done to Mary too on her race position. I hope you're both celebrating with a glass of wine:o)

Thanks mava and Lizzy! Yes, I'm very pleased both to have won and pick up easy points for my club championships as I know the next few races won't be so easy!

WP, I wouldn't do any more than 10 miles next Sunday. It's the Sunday before Ansterdam is it not?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks NZC! The only thing I've noticed is I'm feeling a bit sleepy tonight, so although the body felt good today I feel a bit more tired than normal tonight, so early night I think!
  • Options
    SiT - missed your posting. Glad to hear you're on the way back and great running by Mary.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Wow, loads of PBs today, and a first place for Hilly too!!

Well done Pammie, RFJ, Minks, Oft, PaulL...

Anyone else?

Melissa - hope you feel better soon.

WP - when does your taper start!?

What: 3 miles on the treadmill at the luxurious St Andrews Bay hotel. I'm surprised I managed this as hip still sore - when running on the road, and too much to drink last night!
    Why: training
    Last hard: yesterday's cycle
    Last rest: friday

I set off yesterday to cycle all the way to St Andrews, but gave up after 23 miles due to hip pain :((

Spent a lot of this afternoon in the hospitality tent at the 17th hole at the Dunhill, watching Jonathan Edwards, Michael Douglas, Peter Schmiechal and some golfers too! I don't much like golf, but the food and drink was good!
  • Options
    And I forgot to mention -

Wardi, Happy Birthday, hope youv'e had a great day.

10 miles for me today in 68 odd mins with a HR of 143 BPM = 75% MHR. Pleased about that.
  • Options
    Wow, some fantastic runs, will go and absorb in a few minutes...

Twas a biking day for me with a run planned later...Change of plans re the run..

Did very hilly 22km ride to meet 5 'real' cyclists who are doing the race in 2 weeks. I decided I needed to figure out whether my training had taken me into a competetive position on the bike.

To cut a long story short we did a hard, hilly 44km ride and I stayed with them all the way. In fact I pipped two of them on the hills every time. Taking into account I rode 22km to meet them and they brought their bikes by car I was chuffed!

So very confident that I can do a reasonable time on the 2 bike stages, but the ride exhausted me, so I will run long on Monday!

Off to read the thread in more detail...
  • Options
    Report from the Burnham Half today.

Arrived early, weather cool, cloudy sunny spells - fairly ideal apart from a slightly stiff breeze. Aim was to go sub 93, add some sppedwork over the next few weeks & bag sub 90 at Cheddar at the end of November.

Start was interesting (gun failed!) but off we went. Mile splits with HR in brackets:
    1 6:54 (152) pain in right knee
    2 6:56 (163) warmed up now, pain gone
    3 7:05 (163) bit slow
    4 7:28 (162) into breeze & slowing down
    5 6:59 (161) more like it!
    6 7:05 (162) getting slow again...
    7 7:05 (162) legs not keen on going faster
    8 6:53 (164) but they can be made to
    9 7:11 (163) back into that breeze
    10 7:03 (162) hard work now
    11 6:51 (165) big push against fatigue
    12 7:26 (163) fatigue pushes back!
    13 7:46 (156) dreadful!

Did at least manage a sprint at the end. Official time 1:33:17, which is a season's best if nothing else.

Big concern is my lack of stamina, so a few long runs as well as speed work required over the next 6 weeks...
  • Options
    Evening all,
    Southend 10K for me today, conditions were very sunny, but a bit of a gale on the sea front! Pleasant though for running. Got to the race nice and early, met PAMMIE and JENNYD before race start and had a quick chat, everyone seemed in good spirits and looking forward to the race:

Big field, I guess 2000 plus, and some good runners upfront, race started at 10:30, I started in the lead group, found myself having to cut the pace, as we turned right onto the sea front, around 300-400m after the start, felt nice and easily at this point, everyone bunched together, first Km marker was 3:08! jesus! thats a bit quick! Then the guy leading, just took off like scalded cat, and left the whole field in his wake! the group broke up pretty quick, I realised I could never hold the pace of the group and slipped back a good 10-15 positions, there after it was a long straight run to 4k, I passed a few guys, and a few came past me, the I found it pretty windy though and I had to fight it a little, the course then went right throgh a short built up area, 5k reached in 17:40, bit surprised at the time, as if felt quicker, then left back onto the seafront for return, legs felt tired, but I was able to stride out here, maintain my position pretty much to around 7k, guy next to me kept saying `oh my god` about 3-4times, then turned and promptly spewed up his stomach contents right in my directon! luckily I swerved the flying debris! and carried on unhinded! :)
    Pretty uneventful rest of race, crowds good at side of road, a nasty crosswind a 9k, then left for the finish, short sprint across grass field and the finish line in 35:52secs, a SB! for me.

Not the low 35min or high 34s I predicted, but it was not that kind of day in the wind, pleased to finally gone sub 36mins this season, and puts me in good shape for next weekends GSR to run sub 60! :)

PAMMIE:
    Sorry I missed you at the finish, just so many people around and the guy I drove up with wanted to go home, so I had to leave, not before I had my slice of cake mind! yum yum! ;p

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Well done Trinirunner, you must be feeling positive after that ride.

Well done 90 minutes. Reckon you'll manage your target at Cheddar if the conditions are right.

Micksta, well done in tough conditions. Not sure about the technicolour yawn though. Yick.
  • Options
    MAVA:
    I guess he had a disliking for my IEK Vest! still would have been much better for him to have yawned in the oppisite direction to me! lol