Options

Reverse 10 Mile Road Race/incorporating The Welsh 10 Mile Road Race Championship

Comments

• Options
    Alex a salad today and no pies and you should be okay;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Pies, Steak Pies, Pork Pies, Pies with Pies in them, Bolognaise and too much Yoghurt.

The funning thing is, I am losing weight. Just not around my middle. Running is funny like that.
  • Options

Oh yes, WP and I are plodding round the course after we have both finished to make it 20 for the day. Thought I had better post this to avoid any temptation to jib out.
  • Options
    Ohhhhh, really? Wow! Don't think I will be up for that, but who knows... I need to do a long run of at least 18 miles this week and not sure when I can fit it in. Have to get up so so early to do it before work!

Maybe I will join you? But only if my man's calf holds out...
  • Options

Feel free if you fancy H.

IMPORTANT NEWS - The Pound Shop in the old David Evans in Swansea is selling Princess Pies (you know, the ones in a tin) for £1 each. Fill your boots !
  • Options
    ohhhhhhh Alex!

Temptations temptations!

I am off now, so see you all tomorrow!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hey hey!!!
    What a lovely day for a run!!!!
    Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Really impressed by the traffic organisation (though I am guessing the car owners would have liked posters warning them about the race beforehand - based on a few angry zoomers around!), lovely to see the fast bods on the return leg at numerous points on the course, and wonderful weather too! Very fast pack of runners - one day I will be up there with them all....!!!

Great to meet Poppy and have a conversation! And meet George too. And have my club there supporting too. I have renewed excitement for running and racing!
    I did just over 1:26. Never run the distance in a race before, normally take 1:50 for 10 miles in training (note - it is rarely as flat in training!) and was hoping for sub-1:30 so I am happy today! Took the first 4-5 miles easy since I didn't know what to expect from the distance and found myself overtaking loads of people in the last 4 miles. One lady came over to me afterwards saying she thought she was doing ok in the last mile and then I went speeding past her and made her jump! So I apologised for that. I know being over taken sucks. And I do feel bad about it (unless the people I go to over take speed up on purpose to make it more difficult - then I enjoy it!).

Anyway - I hope to be back here again next year!!! Hope everyone else had as lovely a morning as I have had!
  • Options
    Well done all!
    Did clap warmly.
    Wish I could of run but im in state to.......
  • Options

MT - Were you on a bike in mainly red gear ?

Hanneke, looked about for you but could not recognise you. Forgot to take a record of your number (idiot). We will have to have a more sure fire way of meeting up next time.

1:15:13 for me. Felt terrible. Last sun going easily at 7:28 pace and could have run faster, this week felling it was a massive effort to go as fast as I did. A 'partial success'. Splits all over the place, which is not like me.

00:07:07 00:07:07
    00:07:35 00:14:42
    00:07:40 00:22:22
    00:07:38 00:30:00
    00:07:27 00:37:27
    00:07:52 00:45:19
    00:07:34 00:52:53
    00:07:35 01:00:28
    00:07:44 01:08:12
    00:07:01 01:15:13

Anyway, onwards and downwards as they say.
  • Options

Oh and Jen, I now realise it was you talking to WP when I walked up. Sorry I didn't twig.
  • Options
    I never saw you MT where were you?
    I was working hard and had pained look on face:-(

Lovely to talk to Jen and well done on your race:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well thats my first 10 mile race out of the way. I really enjoyed it, great day out. and got a time of 1:09 so I'm very happy. Nice to meet you welsh Poppy,and I think it was Jen as well,I was the one with George. Nice to meet you guys.
  • Options

1:09 for your first 10m. That's great !
  • Options
    well done all. I went out early and did a slow 6 mile. I' think I'm getting somewhere at last.
    Whats the next race on the cards for everyone?
  • Options

I have nothing next Sun, so I guess that will be a 20 mile training run. 19/2 Tregaron 1/2, 26/2 Terminator, 5/3 Glos 20
  • Options
    I'm doing the 1/2 marathon in Wokingham next Sunday. hope it goes as well as today.
  • Options
    Yes Chris nice to meet you did not know you were a member here as well:-) well done again on your time and good luck for Sunday.

Julie good on you getting out and doing 6 Miles

I am going to crawl under a stone and not race again unless things improve ASAP.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    WP!!! I thought you did brill!!!! Did you do the route twice then????!!!?!?!

I am toying with the St Davids 5k at the end of Feb, but it is pricey for such a short distance and I want to work on longer distances this year. So probably Rhayder 5 on 18th March for me next. Then Islwyn half on 26th March (dependent on how much I feel I should go and see my mum!).

Not much to look forward to in the first 6 months really is there??!?? Perhaps I am not looking hard enough.

Chris/Alex - sorry wasn't really aware of what was going on much and should have talked more to poppy, but was very consious of my anti-social boyfriend standing all on his own... ahh, I'll make a runner of him yet!
  • Options

You could try the Tregaron 1/2 in a couple of weeks Jen. Not as far as St Davids and more miles.

In the end we didn't run the course again. My shout, I had an issue (probably only in my mind) with the air quality, esp in the area about the first 4 miles. Instead we went back to Swansea and did 2 hours in the Gym including abs and legs.

Hopefully, if we have done it right, Poppy will be walking like John Wayne 'till Thursday !
  • Options
    WA/WP
    No had an ospreys jacket on! Was't on the bike itself! Chained her up at the train station then wandered onto the bridge/roudabout that gos over the a470.

2 hours in the gym, yes make me feel down! can't shift this lurge.
  • Options
    georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    the guy at the bridge ... thought you were cheering at a club mate !!
  • Options
    Where were you all guys???? I did the same Alex, looked out for you and Poppy but forgot to take down your numbers and was sure I would find you and recognise you... but did not! So many people there...

BF and I set off together, at 8 min/mile pace, but alas, at mile 5 I choked on some energy gel that went the wrong way and had to slow down for a bit. I sent him off on his own (under protest!) after assuring him I was fine. He ran 1.19 something and I managed to pick the pace back up and still finished in 1.23.44. A new PB! I would have been happy with anything under 1.25, but was hoping to run about 1.20... next time round, I now know thats definitely within reach!

Pitty I did not meet you guys though. We must agree a meeting point next time around.

My next races are two halves, the Sussex Beacon in B righton, with all the people from the Superheroes NY 2005 forum! And then its off to the Netherlands for 3 weeks, where I run another half on 5/03. No races after that until Rotterdam on the 9th of April it looks like... as I will be moving house the first week of april!

Yeah, I know, its all a bit much, abroad and at an art fair in the UK for the whole month of March, so not a single day off... and then move house and then run the Rotterdam Marathon. Phew!
  • Options

After I finished I walked about 300 yards back along the course. I remember seeing George who came in about 1:22 and WP who was 1:25 so I must also have seen you Han and not recognised you. I was relying on the pic you used to have up.

Once WP had passed me I walked back to the finish and lurked about there for a bit.

Nevermind. There will be another and we will have a more solid plan then.
  • Options
    Full results on the Ponty Roadents web site.
    http://www.pontypriddroadentsac.org.uk
    26 Runners below the hour and the course record going too! Perfect conditions for the run just sad that my calves weren't up to a speedy 10 yesterday, ah well, maybe in Brecon?
  • Options

Just been nosing at the results myself.
  • Options
    Well done all - sounds like it was a speedy race. I'm still suffering with this flu virus (kindly given to me by Mr. Jojo!) so haven't trained at all since last Wednesday. Never mind, got to rest up and no work today, watching TV and chilling out!!!!
  • Options
    What a pitty Alex, yes you must have seen me coming by then... After finishing I grabbed a t-shirt and some water and walked to warm down, behind those buildings where the water was... ah well, better plan next time. I am starting to have the suspicion that I was running almost next to WP for the first few miles, after which I paced on and she dropped her pace a little... but am waiting to hear what clothes she was wearing.

Next time better! I am planning on doing the Brecon 10 again this year, as last year was a wash out because I had to lend first aid half way, which took some time... so maybe see some of you there?
  • Options
    when and where is the Brecon 10 havent seen it on this website or have I missed it
  • Options
    [http]http://www.brecon10.com/index.htm[http]

The 2006 race date is not yet on the site, but it is usually the second Sunday in August. A very scenic course, first half is gently down hill, second half gently uphill, with a killer hill at about mile 8, but from mile 9 to the finish all down hill.

Very well organised and very scenic! Looking to the Brecon Beacons for most of the way!
  • Options
    Woops, link failed, so cut and paste...