Options

Cyprus International 4 day challenge

Comments

• Options
    Hey M-5 and trouty! Rebecca D here from Cyprus! Got back to the UK last wednesday - bloody ell its cold! Done a couple of training runs since Challenge and still not entirely sure legs are back to normal!

Villa was lovely second week, had a resident cat that farted!! Hows everyone doing?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    M5, yes it should've been Andy who went! I was quite shocked it was Breda.

My OH might put up with 4 days of racing then doing our own thing, but not a week of twice a day running. It's bores him listening to me now, which is one reason I come on here to talk running:o)

Don't feel guilty having an easy month, I'm sure your body will thank you for it.
  • Options
    Rebecca!! nice to hear from you! I was thinking of you and Paul being in Cyprus for another week whilst we've been putting up with the British weather here! Hope you had a great 2nd week and you worked on that tan??? I've not been doing too much since getting back, having a bit of a rest before I need to start London marathon training. Scobos is training like there is no tomorrow!!! I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow and a session in the nice quiet gym.....including rowing of course!!

Trouty - Glad to hear about your jacket, although somehow I get the impression you're rather dissapointed in having to turn down your claim for your sparkly new one??? How's Mrs T, is she coping with her uni stuff?? We've booked the 10 night Algarve trip leaving on the 9th March, so we'll miss Balloch to Clydebank half too!! Scobos has clocked approx 60 miles this week....don't even think he's really started his marathon build up yet....me....I've done, 11 miles, a pilates class, 6k rowing and some weights....I'm not worthy, but I do have an excuse!!

Hilly - Congratulations on your pb.....sub 40, a time I can only ever dream of, huge well done!!! I know what you mean about chatting to 'like minded' folk. I always have to be careful at work when talking about what I've been up to at the weekend as it usually involves running, my workmates just get bored to tears. And to go on holiday to run is beyond normality to them!! I know I shouldn't feel gulity, especially when I've been under the weather, as soon as I get one run or gym session in I'll wonder what all the fuss was about!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks M5-a time I only dreamed of a year or so ago, so if I can do it so can many more!

I should really have been getting under 40 mins going by other race times all this year, but I don't do many 10k and those I do are in the summer. I suffer with hay fever, which brings on asthma so summer running is a mare for me, but I'll hopefully make the most of the winter!
  • Options
    BSD:
    great to hear from you, are you sure that cat wasn't me lurking around somewhere? keep up with the running bvoth of you and we hope to bump into you again sometime.

Scobos and M5- keep up the training I'm after you guys having done 3 runs this week totalling a massive 22 miles (wooppee-do). i can hear Scobos trembling in his boots at the thoughts of all my quality training.
  • Options
    Trouty - I'm trembling at the thought! I rowed almost that distance last week!!!

Seriously though, you said you were effectively having December off, so 22 miles will just keep you ticking over until you pick things up in the New Year. Noticed your comments on MG's thread about the single/double issue...would be hellishly hard on the body to achieve the mileage you want on a once-a-day regime. I'm going to rely on 2 or 3 doubles a week to keep the mileage up without having to fit in too many runs of 10 miles plus.

Shame we're missing Balloch to Clydebank, as it's my PB course, but in a toss-up between 10 days in the Algarve or a HM through a couple of industrial estates 5 miles from home, which would you choose?

BSD - good to hear from you! Obviously wouldn't have swapped places with you last week...the first week back at work was just so exhilarating!
  • Options
    Trouty, don't get wound up by that maniac, he crazy nutter!! Are you still planning on Lanzarote??

Hilly - My 10k pb is 45.28 which was last year, I just can't see me breaking that, especially with my current obbession for marathons! Maybe if I take timeout from long running and focus on 10k's more I'd be successful......I just hate them though!

Today I got myself back to the gym, 3 miles on the tready, 3k row, weights, stretching and 3 proper push ups (before I feel flat on my face!!) My triceps are actually still feeling sore and tight from my weights and rowing last week, and my quads felt tired when I rowed......must be working then?!? I'll be toned if it kills me!!!
  • Options
    hi guys

Well i've just found out from a physio i've been running with a torn hamstring and twisted pelvis for a couple of months! Oops - light training month for me! During second week Paul and I actually cycled some of the trial routes ran during Cyprus - god we were a bloody mad bunch - gave up trying to cycle up the hills!!

M5 - you x factor excited!!?? I can't wait don't care who wins though!!

All your training sounds too much like hard work for me!! Everyone who knows me and those who don't have a great CHristmas and New Year and does anyone know when the cd/dvd of cyprus will be out?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    M5, I'm not a 10k runner either and am more focussed on marathon training. It's the marathon training that has given me the strength and speed to do a sub 40 10k. I didn't do any speed work for this 10k, but have packed in the miles!

x factor was great tonight, it's going to be a close call! I think Shayne should win though.
  • Options
    It's gone very quiet on here.................is there anybody out there?????????
    Got bloody sciatica now, hope I get all my setbacks at the beginning of training rather than the end. Hoping to go to Lanzarote with FLM training group (if Mrs T allows)

HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!! That will be hogmanay to all you folks north of The Wall
  • Options
    Hi All!!

Been pretty busy lately between Christmas nights out and shopping. Not done much running or anything else this week coz i'm now loaded with the cold and feel rotten. Hoping it clears a bit before Sunday, can't face entertaining with a cold!

BSD - Not good news about your hamstring, are you in a lot of pain? Not heard anything about the CD/DVD, hoping to still get it though.

Hilly - I went to my first bodypump class in ages on Monday and was I sore afterwards, just proves how little us runners use other parts of our bodies! Will be keeping it up though, last time I did it for months and it made a huge difference to my shape.

Trouty - I'm skiving at work whilst all the bosses are skiving in a 'meeting', no one can be bothered and feeling unwell doesn't help. Only 40 mins to go before me and Scobos hit the shops to get the turkey etc....oh joy! Sciatica sounds painful, are you able to do anything or is it rest? Surely Mrs T will allow a wee jolly to Lanzarote?????

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you all!!
  • Options
    Happy New Year!!!!!!!!
    I hope you enjoyed your trip to the islands (very romantic), I won't be running for quite a while but you can tell that Scobos if you see him that I will be the fittest I have ever been come next December, so tell him to watch out or he will be blinded following my bald patch for 4 days and then again in the most important race of all the C2, I reckon we should do the Olympic distance this year though and not just a whimpy 1K
  • Options
    How are you all doing?

Scobos, mightos, becky, post in and let us know how your all doing.
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Hows everyone doing? I'm just resting at the moment trying to fix ripped things! Saying that, Paul and I have just started taking up indoor rock climbing - passed our beginners course last week so can top rope and belay on own. Scary stuff!! Going to do Reading half M in april then its the Corporate Games in Swindon at beginning of June then its 30km run in Kent at end of June - think i might have a rest in July!

xx
  • Options
    BSD:
    great to hear from you, you will be able to swap notes with scobos as he's into rock climbing, I seem to remember him saying that he used to go every weekend. say hi to Paul for me please.
  • Options
    Hey folks. Mightos and I (yes it's me, "yesterday's big faller") are still alive! Anyone got a DVD from Cyprus yet?

Trouty - been reading of your back woes on Mike's thread...hope the MRI scan gets to the bottom of things and you soon see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mrs T must me going mental having your good self moping around the house all day!

BSD - sounds like you've got that racing bug! And re the climbing, Trouty's right...I climbed pretty regularly for about 3 or 4 years, but haven't done it for ages. Used to lead French 6a/b at the climbing wall, top-roping 6c and scare myself witless soloing UK 5a/b boulder problems outside. Never led anything above HVS 4c/5a outdoors as this terrified me too much! Don't know if all this means much to you, but maybe it does...

Mightos' training has been a bit stop-start of late...she's still having some bother with the knee which was giving her grief pre-Cyprus...sure she'll be on here sometime soon to update you!

My training's been going well...only had 2 rest days since returning from Cyprus (none so far this year!)...so plenty of miles with a couple of decent races thrown in too. So fingers crossed I can hold it all together in the lead-up to FLM. We're heading off for 10 days at Mike's camp in the Algarve on 9th March so looking forward to that. Just the first of many running-related holidays we've already booked for the year!!!...including a return to the Coral Beach! Been getting in a fair bit of rowing too so, Trouty's back allowing, the rematch will take place...

See y'all soon!
  • Options
    Hi Scobos

Some of the climbing jargon means something not all of it though!! I cack myself on top roping at the moment let alone bouldering!! And thats just indoor!

Can't believe you have managed to keep training with only 2 days off - you are a true machine!

Dead jelous about you and better half going to Algave for training week - want to run in the warm again!!

Say hello to Mrs Scobos
    x
  • Options
    Hello long lost Scobos, great to hear that you are alive and kicking, don't do too much rowing though I don't want humiliating in December!!!!!!
    I am also jealous about your warm weather training, in fact just training cos I'm still not allowed to, but I am hoping to be back at work next week. I am glad your training is going well just don't fall over in Portugal, it will screw up FLM if you do. We are still going down for FLM, there are 12 of us staying at the Citadines from Saturday to Monday inclusive. We are aiming to get to the hotel for about 2:15 pm. We hope to see you and Mightos 5 :) . If we do miss you before the race we will be having a few bevvies in the pub next to the hotel from the finish until we are bladdered, Andy G is coming down as well, he's looking to do a PB at Balloch and things are looking good for him, he ran 33:20 ish at the Dewsbury 10K last week. Have a great time in Portugal and tell mightos 5 that we hope she gets her knee sorted soon. Oh and finally we've not received the DVD yet either, perhaps you can bend Mike's ear when you see him, Cheers all Trouty.
  • Options
    Got my DVD today, I've been through it and it is the same as they showed at the presentation night plus the photos from that night as well. In all it's a very good memory jogger and it was quite good sitting down with roz and trying to work out some of the names. Paul and Becky were obviously the POSH & BECKS of the event as they appeared more than anyone else. (Didn't the camera just love them :) !!!!!!!!!!)
  • Options
    the camera never lies!!!

We received ours yesterday - had a bit of a watery eye situation. Did def bring it all back.

becs
  • Options
    OK folks?

I'm all confused now...Becs is Posh and Paul is Becks...

Well we got our DVD and it only has the piccies from the half marathon on it!!! Nowt else!

Think I'll need to be bending Mr G's ear!
  • Options
    Scobos thats a mare

we can send you a copy on dvd - if that helps, i can give you my hotmail address so you can email over home address.

becs
  • Options
    I struggled with mine originally, but then found that it had a menu at the very beginning with 10k, hill race, 1/2M, 10K (2 lots) and the presentation night. Did you use a PC or a dvd player, cos ours only worked properly on the dvd. And I would have thought it was obvious that Becky was Posh :0)
  • Options
    Ha! Linda's sussed out the menu so we've got the full quota! Cheers Trouty.

BTW, I'd forgotten just how bad that shirt was that you wore to the awards night!
  • Options
    Scobos and Mightos 5;
    how was the sunshine training?
    5 of the lads from our club went up to do Balloch, after some guy called stuart confirmed that it had not snowed for 20 years. When they got up the morning of the race they were snowed in under 10 inches. Laugh ? I nearly pissed myself!!!!!

I've seen a consultant at last!! about my back, there is no way I will be running in the forseeable future, still going down to london though. if you'd like to meet up drop me a line and I'll send you my mobile number. Hopefully see you in 4 weeks.
  • Options
    Hi Trouty, you have mail.
  • Options
    scobos:
    I've left a message on your mobile re: FLM
  • Options
    Hi guys,

just wishing all those of you who are mad enough to run the Flora next weekend, all the best and have a great run! Paul and I ran the Reading Half last weekend and thought that was long enough!!

Take care
    BSD and Paul
    x
  • Options
    BSD:
    hope you and Paul are both well, I didn't run but I did manage to drink a lot, met up with Scott and Linda (bad influence :-) ). They both had good runs, hopefully they will post on here and let you know how they did. Scott and linda, we were delighted to be with you both again. Su nday night was ACE. Linda will you be buying a horse ?. see yo both soon, take care. And Scott get training I'm after you sunshine!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ..........so has anyone out there entered the challenge this year?????????