Options

FLM Virgin

Comments

• Options
    PW well done on your run. I spent about 1.30 running either into the wind or being blown sideways by it. Only half hour in the relatively wind free lane. Was well battered

Well done Pinks it is a tough day to be out.
    I did know Jo reasonably well for the 2 years we were together but we werent best buddies. She was very studious and always reading during our free periods. She was quite quiet (unlike me!) As I said she came to my birthday party and I used to sit next to her (trying to work out what the pictures she would draw were going to turn into as she was a very good artist). I didn't think that she would be famous she was very clever though and loved books so I suppose it was inevitable. She still looks exactly as she did when we were at school too. Hasn't aged a bit!
  • Options
    sounds like everyone had a really good sesh today, well done Pinks.

i din't go out today have got a nigglr in my left knee cap that comes and goes, so i'm gonna go on the tredmill tomoz, luckily i've got a physio sesh booked for monday.

It's sooooo cold out there!!!
  • Options
    Hope you don't mind me butting it on this forum. Rio Fair - I had a rather windy time today as well. I live in East Anglia so lots of open farmland and NO shelter. Did a 15 miler which was fantastic. I was hoping to complete it in 2hr 30, but the wind was like running into a brick wall (made it in 2 hr 40). PogWog - great minds must think alike - I too was screaming Yahoo and Yeh Woh - although no one was around except for some horses and a couple of sheep. Happy and safe training everyone.
  • Options
    sounds like everyone had a windy run!! PW i totally get the 'yeh' and 'woooo' running in the wind - really makes you feel at one with nature!! Rio if it was that windy you did amazingly!!!

anyone any suggestions re my hamstring if thats what iti is? never had this before and now bit concerned. did i do too much this week after Brighton? really frustrating having to walk last 3-4 miles but didin't want to do any real damage and the girl i was with was quite happy to walk (very nice lady) as she was out v late last night. strange though as energy wise i felt fine and could have gone another 3 or 4 miles further but it just hurt!

just had a nap - feel totally exhausted. does anyone else get wiped out by lsr?

• Options
    Pinks you need to ice your hamstring for 10-15 mins at least twice a day. get to see your sports therapist (if you have one) for a massage and do lots and lots of (gentle) stretching. Stretching should be done every day not just when you have run. It could well be that Brighton took more out of you than you realised AND you did a good club session too!!!!!
    Ease back a bit this week (maybe change one of your shorter runs to a x-training session)

A nap after your LSR is recommended I have a good rest afterwards, sometimes I sleep, sometimes I just slob on the settee. if you need to sleep then you need it! Your body is repairing itself while you do!
  • Options
    after i get in Pinks i have a cuppa soup and crash out!! i feel fluey sometimes especially last sunday and thursday when the weather was pants.
  • Options
    well i only managed 9 miles but fine with that...will be able to gt back into it again this week, but all 9 miles seemed to be into the wind (work that one out!)...not doing adirun this week again fenn...birthday and st davids day on weds so will have to make up for it around the week
    well done pinks..good effort but be careful with that leg

used a camelback for the first time on a run yesterday (have only used it for cyclying before)...was pretty good, but back gets v sweaty!
  • Options
    Cas, we are very close on b/day then...mine next saturday so will be having lsr on b/day! think you were wiser than me to do 9 miler yesterday - on reflection wish thats what i had done as leg would probably be ok now! feeling very stiff today. going to have nice lazy day watching tv with little one and painting war hammer!!
  • Options
    Just got back in from my lsr - did 15 miles - longest I've ever done. Took me 3 hours 16 mins, and I was running into a headwind with driving snow for about 6 miles of the run. Actually feel remarkably good, had 3 of the high-5 gels, they are amazing, I think they certainly helped. 16 next week - gulp!

Someone said on this forum not to do more than the 20 miles - why not? Wouldn't it be a psychological boost if you know you've done 22 miles and on the day you know that you can do 22, so only 4 to go?
  • Options
    Chris thats brilliant, well done especially with SNOW!!! its blue sky and sunshine here, but i think much of the country is due sleet/snow next week...ugh!

i think more than 20 or more than one 20 for a beginner can put you at risk of injury and burnout but Rio will know. chris you must be on HH novice like me and Cas - 16 next week and its my b/day! what a treat!!
  • Options
    hey well done evryone,

i did a nice easyish!! 10km today on the tredmill, got a few niggles, so luckily got physio tomoz.. with a hill sesh, then not running untill thursday which will be nice as my poorlegs have worked hard this week.
  • Options
    Hiya Chris2,
    I too, did a 15 miler yesterday in 2hrs 40 mins (with the bloody wind in my face for most of the way). I'm scheduled to do the Cranleigh 15 or 21 miler on 26th March. I'm planning on the 21 mile as psychologically I would only have another 5.2 to do on the big day (yeah right - with agony in every step!!!). A friend of mine who is a professional runner said that never do the whole 26 miles as you're body would never recover. That's why most of the training manuals only go up to 20 miles. Anyway, safe running and good luck with your 16 next weekend (me too!!!) xx
  • Options
    yippee-just done my 17 mile "pre marathon warm-up" at Hemel. i needed the psychological boost of doing this having fallen on the 12 mile one four weeks ago. it was very cold-hope its warmer in 8 weeks time! took it slowly, felt a bit troubled at mile 10-11 but picked up afterwards. Ankle seems a bit tender and swollen, but nothing too bad. Took 3.12 so i'm happy with that. 20 miler in 4 weeks and that wil be the furthest for me I think. AS soon as I stopped, every muscle ached-still cant imagine doing the 26!!
  • Options
    Hi Cezzy, are you on the Hal Higdon novice plan too? if not, what do you do training wise in the week?

Linda, you've recovered brilliantly from that fall, well done on 17 miles! did you have to walk at all? really disappointed with my hamstring but have managed to get sports massage booked for tomorrow so hope that will help. just been for a leisurely 2.5 mile walk round the golf course with my daughter and that seems to have loosened it up a bit. going to ice again before bed. any other suggestions??help!
  • Options
    yes walked a bit up some of the steep hills-at times it felt as though I just needed a bit of a breather. Average time works out I think at 12 min mile which is a bit slower than pre-fall but I really didnt want to push it too much. Im very stiff now, but have a massage booked for Tuesday-she couldnt do tomorrow but I'll go to Pilates which is always good for a stretch. I sat my feet in my foot spa when I got home-filled it with ice cold water and ice cubes- it was hell!! I think as far as your hamstring is concerned Pinks, its stretching, stretching, stretching all the time, plus lots of icing. Talking of stretch-Its only 8 weeks now-we're on the home stretch!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Glad you all seem to have had good runs yesterday.

I went to do a run/walk 5k race with some of my beginners but no one turned up (not surprising as we had sleet, rain, cold wind etc). So anyway I did it by myself as a recovery run. Felt really comfortable (surprising with Saturdays miles in my legs). Took 2 walk breaks and still managed 30mins 20.

Pinks you are really just going to have to rest and ice and maybe some gentle stretching of that hamstring but it might be worth a trip to a sports therapist to see if there is any underlying damage.

Chris there is no need to do more than 20 miles in the build up to the marathon. Your body takes a day for each mile run to repair itself. So you are already pushing it hard with the increasing long runs on a weekly basis. Believe me by the time you get to 20 miles it hurts but the crowd will get you round from there. And psychologically you know that once you have got to that point nothing will stop you finishing (even if you have to walk the rest) Even top club runners wont do more than 1 or possibly 2 20 mile runs (and only then because they can do a marathon inside 3 hours so it would just be a long run for them anyway)

Happy training week everyone
  • Options
    Morning all,

ahcee this morning after 15 miler yesturday in 2hrs 30... really chuffed with efforts and on a high as feel one step closer to reaching goal.

tried first cold bath yesturday which i think was worse than the run.. dont know how much it worked as still felt sore.. only could stay in it for 5mins.

Also tried the gels for the first time which are not very plesant but worked.. think will probably use a combination of both drink and gels as can imagine feeling if drink to much of stuff.

Well done on everyones efforts this weekend.. we really are making progress and linda well done on recuvery

Is it just me or has everyone forgotten whats its like not to ache??
  • Options
    Fenn that's fantastic well done! think i would have done 15.3 in 2hr 40 had i not had to walk last 4 miles due to hamstring!! very frustrating!!

i find i can't live without cold baths now. i do what Rio suggested - wear a fleece/warm top to keep top half warm and have hot drink to sip while in bath. i can stay in for 10 mins now and find it really soothing.

supposed to do 16 next weekend, 12 week after and 18 week after that. was supposed to do Silverstone half on weekend of 18 but now think i will do MK half on weekend of 12 as fits in better. if i do that should i still do the 16 this weekend (hamstring permitting running at all!!) - any suggestions anyone??
  • Options
    Pinks I would still do the 16 as planned as it is only a LSR and not a race. Will help to build confidence for the next half. Take it very steady with your runs to not aggravate your hamstring still further

Fenn you really need to stay in the bath for 10 mins to get the best out of it and you really shouldn't ache too much. Might be worth a visit to a sports massage person to get rid of the knots in your muscles as it sounds as if that might be the problem.
    Some good running there though. Well done you!
  • Options
    Rio, for icing leg is a bag of peas in a tea towell ok? i did it twice yesterday sitting on bed with bag of peas under and just above my knee.
  • Options
    Yep that will do it Pinks. Might be worth investing in one of those hot/cold packs - better to have one and not need one. It can be used for all types of injuries too
  • Options
    Yep that will do it Pinks. Might be worth investing in one of those hot/cold packs - better to have one and not need one. It can be used for all types of injuries too
  • Options
    Pinks you were on course for a great time at weekend.

will not give up compelety on cold baths, will try for longer next time.. i too wore layers of ski clothes and wooly hat in bath... must of looked ridiculous..
    another question relating to the cold baths...

At moment come in from run after a five min warm down and stretch whilst warm.. have a drink and then get in to cold bath... then come out of cold bath and when dried off have a warm shower..
    Is it ok to have shower so soon after cold bath

Sorry Pinks no suggestions re hamstring.. RICE.. taking it easy and massage would be my solution.. which sounds like your doing and oh stretching even on rest days.

Rio think will invest in sports massages.. going for an easy swim tonight so hopefully that will help
  • Options
    You have it right Fenn. But take your hot drink into the bath with you. Then you stay in the bath until you have finished your drink (easier than clock watching). I normally start running the shower almost before the cold water is gone from the bath. Or I get out and dry and then have a warm (but not too hot) bath.

Have my first massage booked for tomorrow at 11! will let you know how I get on! No training for me tomorrow though!! An enforced rest day!!
    But that means a pyramid session with my club on Thursday following speedwork tomorrow and Wednesday with my ladies!!
  • Options
    That sounds like quite a busy week, Rio! i'm going for massage at lunchtime and really hoping leg is ok because i so want to run with the club on wednesday.
  • Options
    Thanks Rio for conformation

Two hard sessions in a row!!! tough going.

because of dodgy knee havent done any speed or tempo sessions for a couple of weeks am a now a bit scared of going for it as always get knee pain on treadmill when doing these sessions and coincedently always on a Tuesday.

feel really postive today as now over half way 5 weeks of hard training to go and 3 weeks tapering!!!
  • Options
    Fenn just do a short tempo of 3x 1min to start with and see how the knee feels. It could be that you are running differently on the treadmill to outside (it is possible) so maybe it would be an idea to do the session outside to compare.

Pinks I hope the massage helps. Ask advice from the therapist - he/she ought to know what they would recommend by way of training etc to help speed recovery
  • Options
    I wonder Pinks whether the hamstring of yours is as a result of overtraining ast week

Ie
    Dis half on sunday, you had that really strong/fast session on wednesday and on Saturday you sounded like you had a quick pace going... Maybe its too much too soon for body to cope with...

I know this is frustrating beacuse you have the fitness but body just cant cope, i constantly have bately of what i feel i can do and what body can cope with.

I think definately go to training session on wednesday as you enjoy it and it otivates you but dont push your body
  • Options
    yeah im also coming to the conclusion that i may run differently, last time on treadmill i did notice i lean back more and also prob doesnt help that i look up to watch the tv monitors

will be more aware of body position and deliberately leave headphones in locker on tuesday

• Options
    ok will do and will let you know what she says this afternoon. fenn, i think also yoou may be right re overtraining as it was quite a hard week after Brighton. i know what you mean about body not being in sync with how you feel. to be honest when i finished the run (walk!) on saturday i had the energy to keep going another few miles. wow those High5 gels are brilliant though and had one of the gel+ ones with extra stuff in. just make me a bit more dry/thirsty though and i didn't have enough water. must be more organised next week and leave some out on route.