Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Normally at this time of year, as most of you are in/starting your taper, I paste a copy of the final instructions for virgin marathon runners and I've been requested to do so again as I have a few that follow this thread but don't post.   These instructions were written with London marathon in mind but of course they apply to any race.  

Congratulations!!! You have now completed your marathon training. The next stage is to taper ready for the big day.

Tapering

This is the period that allows your body to recover from all that hard training and prepares you to be at your best by race day. Many runners find this a very difficult and frustrating time as you can feel that you should be out running. It is quite normal to feel quite lethargic at this time, but don’t be tempted to go out for an extra run, do any speed training or ‘test’ an injury. No training now will help you for race day, you need to take things easy.

Running –Your last Sunday run should be no further than 10 miles, pace very easy and relaxed. During the week one or two easy runs of 4 or 5 miles. No running after Thursday.

Food – Eat normally until Wednesday evening, but don’t skip any meals, try and eat something every 3 hours. From Wednesday evening until Saturday lunchtime reduce the amount of protein and fats in your diet. Proteins and fats stop you feeling hungry. For this period base all your meals on carbohydrates, you can still eat fruit and vegetables but avoid those that are filling but low on carbohydrates e.g. cabbage. You can eat plenty of rice, pasta and potatoes. Double the amount of these you would normally eat but only have half the usual amount of sauce or toppings. Bread, teacakes, bagels, scones etc are fine but try and use very little or no butter/spread. Warm teacakes etc in the microwave and you can probably do without any spread at all. Use jams or honey instead. For snacks, try oatcakes (no spread), rice cakes, high carb fruits – bananas, mangoes, etc -energy bars, breakfast cereals etc.  During this period you do not need to eat more than usual just increase the % of carbohydrates. For Saturday evening, I suggest you eat whatever you fancy (within reason). You will sleep better and feel more relaxed if you can eat what you want. Don’t eat a huge meal and don’t eat too late in the evening. A moderate portion of chicken, fish or meat is fine, with some carbohydrates too. This is not a time to try out anything that you have not eaten before.

Water – From now until race day you must ensure that you are well hydrated at all times. Keep a bottle of water in the car, at your desk, in your bag when shopping, whilst travelling to London and all the time you are in London before the race. As you increase your carbohydrate intake you will need to increase the amount of water too. You are eating more carbohydrates to enable you to store glycogen in your muscles and extra water is needed to store glycogen. You may find that you put on a couple of pounds, don’t worry, as soon as you start using the stored glycogen on race day that extra weight will go! If you allow yourself to become dehydrated, particularly in the last couple of days before the race, this will affect your race performance so don’t forget to take water to the Expo too.

Alcohol – Try and limit your intake this week. If you do have a drink ensure you take on extra water, all alcoholic drinks will dehydrate you.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Sleep – Try and get plenty sleep in the last week, no very late nights. The extra carbohydrates should help you sleep well.

Other – this is not a time to do anything strenuous, so postpone any spring cleaning, decorating etc., and don’t take up any new sports or activities that could give you an injury. Avoid people with colds, sore throats etc., wash your hands more often if you are concerned about catching viruses after contact.

Stress – Try and not to worry about your marathon debut. You have done the training, now by following these guidelines you will have prepared yourself to the best of your ability.

Saturday Evening

At the Expo you will be given a large plastic bag, affix the adhesive number (same as your race number) to the bag. Pack everything you will need for race day:-

Drinks for pre race
    Food for pre and post race
    Warm top (you will chill very quickly once you’ve finished)
    Showerproof jacket
    Vaseline
    Sun cream
    Bin Bag
    Mobile phone
    Gloves
    Bin bag or old t-shirt
    Enough money for hot drinks/food post race and transport
    Bum bag with sweets etc
    City Centre map

Affix the Championchip to your shoe

Affix your race number to your running top (check the weather first!)

Race Day Morning

If you don’t sleep well the night before the race, don’t worry, this will not affect your race performance.

Get up in plenty of time – use an alarm clock or your mobile phone.

You MUST eat breakfast even if you don’t feel hungry, it’s important to top up your glycogen levels before the race. If you find it hard to eat much at this time take some food or sports drink to the start with you.

The Race

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

There is no need to try and place yourself close to the start, go in your allocated area/pen, your chip will start your timing when you cross the start line. It may be congested for the first mile or so, be careful not to step on discarded bin bags etc in the early stages.

As with all races, don’t go off too fast. In a shorter race you can often recover from a hasty start, you CANNOT do this in a marathon and you will suffer painfully for this in the latter stages. Anyone who wants to know their ideal marathon pace, email me your most recent race times. Discipline yourself to go no faster than this pace until you get to halfway. Once you are at the halfway point run as you feel. By not going to fast for the first 13 miles you will find yourself overtaking many runners that started too fast and this will boost your confidence but not theirs.

Start taking on fuel (sweets, gels, sports drinks) nice and early, at the 4 or 5 mile point, don’t wait until you feel that you need something. Don’t rely on there being supplies of sports drinks available, it may have all gone by the time you get there. Take a drink at the first drink station which is at 3 miles. There are drink stations every mile thereafter, it is not necessary to take a drink at every station, every 3 miles should be adequate.

There are toilets en route, don’t waste time if there’s a queue. You will pass lots of pubs, garages, hotels etc., use those, nobody minds on marathon day.

You will experience a whole range of emotions when running a marathon and most people do have a spell when the going gets tough. Don’t think that you are going to feel like that for the rest of the race, your blood sugar will have dropped, take on some fuel, ease up on your pace and try and remain cheerful by talking to others around you. Other runners will be suffering too and a chat with a complete stranger can distract you and you may be helping them too. Take a walk if you need to, you do not have to run every step of the way to have a good race. There are lots of mental tricks you can use to remain focussed. 10 miles will be double figures, 13.1 miles (21km) is halfway and you will then be heading for home and counting down the distance from that point will help. Or you can divide the race by time, so if you’re aiming for 5 hours, divide the race into 5 x 1 hour chunks.

There is a lot of crowd support on the course and especially in the last mile and this will spur you on, try and smile as you run through the finish line – they’re taking your photo!

Collect your medal and your bag, put on your warm top as you will chill very quickly and have a drink. If you are unwell seek medical attention immediately. Make your way through the finish area (this area is not accessible to non-runners) and to your pre-arranged meeting point.

Eat and drink something as soon as you can after finishing, this will aid your recovery.

Congratulations – you are now part of 1% of the population – a marathon runner

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Some great tips there,especially for us newbies,thanks a lot for posting shades.
  • Options
    SYSTEM-JSYSTEM-J ✭✭✭

I haven't posted for a while, because I've been struggling to kick this problem with my leg. I had a deep tissue massage and therapist was very confident it was just mild aggravation of my popliteus muscle at the top of my calf/back of my knee and the cause was my tight hamstrings. He was confident it wouldn't stop me running the race.

Since then I've ran very intermittently, not more than 10k at a time. I tried swimming as cross-training (and discovered that after almost 13 years of not-swimming I've pretty much forgotten how), I tried hamstring stretches, mostly I just resisted the temptation to run. Things have felt better recently so I ran 10 miles on Thursday. The tightness vanished about halfway through rather than getting progressively worse, which was positive. But the next day the soreness was back and I can still feel it today - although my legs generally feel more sore than usual as I've not been using them so regularly.

The whole thing has driven me crazy. The thought I might scupper 4 months of sacrifice and training with this silly little semi-injury has made me feel sick. At this point I'm just going to rest until race day and hope that any residual tightness loosens up as I get into the race, as it did during my 10 miles on Thursday. I couldn't care less how painful the next day is as long as I finish the bloody race.

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that Shades, although I don't feel I can read it until I get my long run tomorrow done! I hope you enjoy your rest day, it really feels like we are in Spring now.

System-J, I totally feel your frustration. Which Marathon are you doing? Sounds like you are being sensible. Avoid breast stroke when swimming though as it's not great for injured knees. That must bode well that you managed the 10 miles OK.

I've managed runs of 7, 10 and 11 miles this week plus a parkrun today. The ITB isn't getting worse but I'm really dreading attempting 22 miles tomorrow. It feels important mentally to get it done but I won't run in any pain. I'm being re-taped later, not sure if it helps, but it does no harm. Plus I bought some of that Biofreeze gel. I know for me with injuries I have to try these things so I at least feel as though I'm aiding some sort of recovery.

Louey - sorry to hear about the car, hope you've managed to get it sorted. I was looking at your 22 miles that you did on Strava (looking for flat route ideas). Did you go along the canal? I'm just wondering how far you can go along once you go past Cassiobuy?
  • Options
    SYSTEM-JSYSTEM-J ✭✭✭

Greater Manchester. Next Sunday.

• Options

Thanks so much for that Shades, hugely helpful!

Ok well final 20 mile run completed today, that means I have fully completed all of the 4 long runs on the plan so 2x18 and 2x20 which I am very pleased about. I must admit though I struggled today when I hit 17 miles, wasn't sure if it was the after effects of being ill, the fact it was later in the day than my usual runs or the fact that the first half was in pouring rain and wind but I needed some very stern self talking for miles 18 and 19 as I desperately wanted to stop but knew that even if I walked slightly I would beat myself up about it (I know, I know!!!)

Can't believe that the taper now starts for London, it all seems very scary and very real. I am very excited though although today's run has made me doubt myself just a touch but I'm guessing that's normal. I've been very lucky to date and not had any that I would call very bad runs. 

Knackered now and a bit sore, think I'll be getting up close and personal with my foam roller later which is still lounging in the packaging. Gym for a bit tomorrow morning as well, I do find that 30 minutes on the rowing machine or cross trainer really helps the day after a long run.

Good luck to all runners this weekend, SK you'll do it and you'll be great! Just think that after tomorrow the main part is all done!

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭

System J - Sorry to hear about the injury, hope you recover in time for Manchester.

Jacky - Congrats on the 20 miler. It probably was the after effects of being ill, so don't beat yourself up over it.

SK - Good luck with the 22 miler!

Shades - Thanks for posting that advice. One thing I didn't do last time was carb load I just ate normally. Think I'll give it a go this time though.....oh and I do need to get more sleep in the week leading up to the race, although I do make sure I get to bed early the night before!

Got my 14 miler done today first thing....when it was raining image When I was at the football being bored and watching my team get beat...yet again....it was lovely and sunny!! Anyway did 7 at LSR pace (8:20-8:30 ish) then 7 at something close to MP (7:40-7:50) overall pace was 8:07. Felt tougher than I expected though, but felt like a good run. Decided I'm setting off at 7:50 pace and will shoot for around 3:25....would love to try for faster based on my HM time, but not going to risk blowing up! If I feel good I'll pick up the pace in the last half of the race like I did in Bournemouth. I'm hoping that taper goes better this time, last time I started having serious doubts in the last week!!

• Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    V quick reply for sk - the towpath goes up at least as far as kings Langley as my husband has cycled that far up. I've ran to just past the m25 bridge and then turned back. I hope the it band holds out.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

System J - I can understand how frustrating that injury must be, but have faith.   As you say post race soreness you can cope with and it is not stopping you running.   Take it easy until race day, do any stretches your physio has given you and a bit of walking to keep your muscles working and relaxed.

Please can we have your race number so we can track you during your marathon?

SK - hope the 22 miler goes well today, but you know you have completed a lot of 20+ runs in your training, so if you miss one it will be fine.   The strapping should help.

Jacky - congrats on completing all your long runs.  As Steve says it's probably your post illness that made it a bit hard.   Enjoy your taper!

Steve - will be interesting to see how you get on with increasing your carbs.   No need to eat larger quantities but just make carb options, should help with a bit of extra sleep too.

I think that's a very sensible pace to aim for and as you say if you feel strong in the latter stages you can up the pace.

Taunton marathon for me today, this marathon has a 4:30 time limit, which I won't make, but they've had that limit for years and I've run it 5 times before and never been pulled off.  Weather looks like it'll be OK, about 10 degrees and a slight breeze, I'd like it a bit warmer but it should be OK. 

Good luck to anyone racing today

• Options
    Good luck today Shades. Been to the gym, legs feel better after 25 minutes on the bike. Not sure about enjoying the taper, panicking may be the better description!

Good luck to all those running today
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Thanks Louey, I was thinking about driving to Rickmansworth to keep it all flat but in the end I ran there, so only needed to go 5 miles or so along the canal. Not the most comfortable 22 mile run but pleased to say the knee lasted the whole way! And I even did the same route as before which has a decline at the end. I could have cried when I saw 22 on the watch. Didn't want to take any chances so walked the last mile home!

I hope the marathon has gone well Shades. Lovely day for it as I know you hate racing in the cold. 4:30 is a bit fast for the cut off though, I hope they are leniant with that as before.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good luck shades and anyone else racing today.

Was watching the Paris marathon earlier and it makes it all seem more real.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I was going to go for an easy 5 miles but after a little bit I could feel my calf didn't feel right so called it off,could have ran through it on a normal day but not chancing anything at the minute,just hope it goes before next week.Feels fine when walking around then slight stinging when I started running.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

How did you get on, Shades? I agree with SK - 4:30 would be my dream marathon time and one I doubt I'll make next weekend given the rather difficult prep I've had.

Ian - probably a good move.

I had 10 miles on the schedule but I wasn't feeling it today, and as I did 9 on Thursday, I just did the 6 today. Easy pace, although it didn't feel that easy. Low on energy again, which I shouldn't be because I only did yoga yesterday and ate sufficient carbs. Even my breathing seemed off. Hmm. Can't give exact stats as Garmin seems to be down but there you go.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Jacky - good news your legs have recovered well

SK - I'm so pleased you did your 22 miler and your knee held out, that's a great confidence booster

Ian5 - wise to be cautious, do some gentle stretching.

Cal - no need to go any longer today as you did your 9 mile a couple of days ago.

Well I'm pleased with my run at Taunton, out of 5 previous runs here I've only ever done one sub 5 so was very happy to finish today in 4:58.   Now I'm back base training again I certainly felt a lot stronger than at my 20 mile race or the 23 miles I managed at Spring Shakespeare.  Weather was good, a little too cool for me for the first 8 miles as there was a bit of headwind in places, then it warmed up a bit.   Because of the time limit there are very few runners slower than 4:30 so the 2nd half I ran on my own, but I quite enjoyed that, got great support from the marshals that were happy to wait out and some of the traffic were encouraging and one car stopped to give me jelly babies.   I thanked the race director too and he said they were happy to allow the slower runners to finish, I guess his time limit is to pacify the police.

Now I know my training is having the right effect it's reassuring.   Legs feel OK, foot is a little sore but nothing to worry about.

Note - managed to reach almost my maximum heart rate a couple of miles into the race due to a fire engine on a blue light passing me.  3 police cars and an ambulance too but it's the fire engine that was scaryimage

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - well done on your sub 5...just shows what perseverance can do. It might of been the fright of the fire engine that spurred you on.

SK - well done on the 22 miles.. Last one before London!!

I have been running every other day about 6 miles a day and I am hoping to do a long run tomorrow possibly 20miles. My last long run was 9 March just before I fell ill. I headed out this evening with the aim to do 6 miles at MP (6:40/mile) but I ended up 37 seconds ahead but it felt good.. Will try to run at least 13miles at MP tomorrow..
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Very well done, Shades! And also, forgot to say, thanks for the marathon advice posts. Very helpful.

My foot swelling seems to have subsided somewhat. I'm not sure what happened there. It's not really painful so I'm confident that it isn't a stress fracture (heaven forbid) and I'm wondering if it's the new shoes. They're the same as the old ones but it may just be that they're a bit tighter as the weave won't have relaxed as much. Then again, I did put my foot in a pot hole on Tuesday. I corrected quickly and it didn't really hurt but it may have done a little damage, I don't know. Not even sure which foot it was. Could just be a taper tantrum eh?

• Options
    Well done Shades, so pleased for you. Call, hopefully it's just the new shoes or just a taper tantrum! Good luck for the run Iain!
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    That's great to hear the marathon went well Shades, sounds like a well organised event. And must be good to see that base training is really working well for you. Out of interest, what do you take to fuel your marathons? The mention of jelly babies made me wonder.

Cal - sounds like you have taper madness but please avoid any more potholes!

Ian - hope the 20 miles tomorrow goes well.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Glad they let you finish and well done on sub-5.

Cal-just play sage now,won't affect next week in snyway what you do this week do nice and easy.

Iain-Good luck with your long run,sounds like you're getting back to full fitness.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Iain - flu can be a huge set back in training but you seem to be bouncing back really well.

Cal - very odd about your foot, but as it's cleared up nothing to worry about

SK - as I tend to suffer from an acid stomach when running I'm always trying to find the perfect fuel.   I can't take sports drinks, the sugars make my stomach sore so for electrolytes I use Elete,http://eletewater.co.uk/ I have a tiny dropper bottle and put it into the water, as it was cool yesterday only did this twice.  I hate gels as the consistency makes me feel nauseous so I prefer to use sweets.   The trouble is with me I get fed up of the same sweets as I only take them as I know I need something when running.  My preferred sweets are Tesco Fruit Jellies as only 2 of them gives me 20g of carbs and they're OK to eat.   I also took some marzipan, it was part of a Lidl Easter marzipan egg.   Yesterday for the first time ever I also took some home made energy balls, made from dried fruit and seeds.   They were lovely and very easy to eat when running.   But I don't eat that much when running as for my stomach I find it better to eat as little as possible.

5 mile recovery run done, legs OK, foot a little sore.  Yogalates at 9 am, that should be good for post race recovery, I hope!

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Shades - I. Do feel like I have to concentrate on my breathing as at times it feels laboured and my chest feels heavy but I breath deeply and it feels better. my only concern at the moment is the lack of long runs over the last. 4 weeks... I might do a week taper and try get 2 more long runs in but slowish...

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

My breathing felt like that yesterday, Iain. No idea why - I haven't been ill, don't have asthma or hayfever and the run on Thursday was fine.

I skipped spin today and went for my sports massage. My masseur had a look at the foot and said there wasn't anything wrong with it (so no stress fracture, though I figured there wasn't) but he's done a little taping to encourage lymphatic drainage.

He also said not to exercise for a week following the marathon. Not so sure about that - how does everyone else deal with recovery?

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    I enjoy a day of over endulging and then straight back on to training and booking races...
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭

Shades - Well done with the Sub 5!

Cal - Last time I did no running until the Thursday morning after the marathon and that was a recovery run, I also had a sports massage booked in for the evening that same day to help with recovery. Also did around 8 miles on the Saturday, but again taking it easy at LSR pace. I'll probably do similar this time. I was told cycling is good for recovery, not sure how true that is though.

Last tempo run of the plan tomorrow and have a sports massage booked for Thursday, which should help freshen the legs up. I do have a pain at the top of my right leg, not sure if it's something to worry about or just the start of taper madness!! image

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Steve - I have used cycling as a recovery plan and it does work to some extent. I felt it helped relax my hamstrings and glutes but unfortunately the quads were still stiff and tender.

Well my 20 didn't quite work as planned today. I was not in the best running mood but I still got ready and headed out. I tried to keep the pace above 7min/mile and as I passed the 10 mile mark I stated aching and feeling lethargic so I decided that theft was no point pushing for the 20 and I headed home.. Still, 11.5 miles isn't too bad I guess.
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Iain - what's your marathon pace? 7 minute miling seems very fast for a long run. Could you try taking it easy and slowing down?

Cal - I think everyone's different when in comes to post marathon recovery but I think lots of us tend to rush back into training too soon and end up getting injured. So taking a week's rest is not a bad thing.

Thanks Shades, I'll have to try those Tesco fruit jellies. Not sure about marzipan though. I made some of those energy balls a few weeks back but never tried them whilst running. Hope the foot is less sore now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have read everyone's posts, but apologies for not commenting on everyones.  There's a lot going on, and I hope all the taper madness is bearable, and any injuries/sickness stay away!

Shades, well done on the sub-5 and feeling stronger than the race the other week!  When is your next one?  Is it NDVM, or do you have one before that?

Cal, I think it's better to try and do some light exercise after the marathon, and many swear by doing a short recovery run the day after too.

Iain, well done for bouncing back from your illness, and SK well done too for your final long run - that must be a massive confidence booster.

I'm back at home now after what seems like a long time away.  I've done some running though in different places (all at an easy pace) and I think/hope I've got my mojo back a bit, and seem to have cleared the couple of niggles I had.  I did 3 runs in Budapest and 2 whilst in Somerset, as well as doing a lot of walking including climbing up the highest points on Exmoor and the Quantock Hills.

I've also ordered my 50 parkrun T-Shirt, and all being well it should be with me before the weekend if I decide to do a parkrun this weekend.

Shades, it's just under 4 weeks until my marathon and I'm a bit worried about my number of long runs - in my cobbled together plan I've done 16, 18, 21, and a 20-miler (the 20-miler was a race).  I've done loads of 10s, and was happy with my weekly mileage but the last 2 weeks have been low (22 and 25).  But I'm feeling okay now and was thinking about doing a 20-miler Tuesday or Wednesday and then maybe another one 2 weeks before the race, all at an easy pace.  What do you think?