Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    John - maybe set your Garmin to beep at the end of each mile, and only check the mile time then.  Mine will still flash the mile time even if I have a different screen on.

You've found the right weight for you now, well done and you can maintain it.   Over a period of time as long as you keep up all this running your body shape may change a little to what you aspired to.

Big G - there is a weight/performance calculator here

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

but of course it's only making assumptions, such as that any weight lost is fat only.  For instance it you ate far too little pre marathon and any weight loss could be fluid along with glycogen and you'd run slower.   But it's still an interesting calculator.

I didn't realise they'd done the vanity sizing to men's clothes too.   In women's clothing we've had that problem for years, really stupid marketing ploy which I'm sure has fuelled the obesity crisis.  I think they're still doing it, I'm not small but I often pick up what might be the smallest size available a size 8 and it's too big for me.  Most of my clothes are now a size 8, but in reality I'm actually what used to be a size 12.

Steven - maybe your OH is right, maybe time to improve your diet.   I think as we get older it's even more important to fuel our bodies right and you will feel better and your training and racing will improve.   You can still enjoy a few treats.

Just don't follow the Keith Stuart diet ;)

Keith - it was Big G that gave me a recipe with cauliflower rice, I'm sure he could pass it onto you too :o

Ian - good, that's the decision made now about your race pace :)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the lap counting at Dorney Lake works well, you have 9 little tabs on the wristband with your race number on and as you finish each lap you peel off a tab and stick to a notice board so it doesn't slow you down at all.   What slowed me down was the table laden with goodies just after the turn, you can even make yourself a cup of tea or coffee.   I found it quite odd preparing for a Thursday marathon, I expect you'll find it odd too.

Emmy - bloody hell, you'd have to get too close to a snake for comfort to use a knife!  Isn't pepper spray the best way as it will deter an animal as well as a human?

You'd need a club with more suitable hours.   Here we have lots of new clubs starting up all the time, maybe you'll find one soon.

Right booking frenzy over for the Pilates class 10 days ahead, got a place.  Now I can go out for my run :)  Abs have stopped aching now and HRM no longer uncomfortable. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-You could always defer London and keep that place for 2019.6 days apart is tight esp with the flying back and jet lag.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that Dorney system sounds good.  Yes, it's going to be odd doing a mid-week race, but I think 10/11 days between marathons rather than 7 days will help me quite a lot.  I'll just see how I feel regarding what time I aim for.  When I entered it, I was thinking of a potentially quick time, but I am still not quite right after City to Sea.  So if I'm not feeling it, I expect I'll stop at the aid stations too :)  At City to Sea I think I probably was stopped for 15mins in total, as I had a cup of tea at each check point, plus a fair amount of food.  Looking forward to Dorney :)  

Nell, well done on the GFA for what I'm assuming was your first marathon?  Is your GFA valid for London 2018 and 2019 races?  If so, as Ian said you could always just do London the year after, or maybe give both a go with the intention of enjoying them rather than racing them?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nell - sorry I missed your post this morning...I forgot to click to the next page :blush:

Ian's right you can defer London but if you don't want to there will a lot of other runners doing the same thing so you'll have a nice support group to help you.   There's quite a few runners on this thread that have done marathons very close together so can help with any advice.

Big G - well at Dorney you'll pass the feed station 10 times so you'll have to be strong willed not to loiter.  I didn't mind really, was a very hot day when I was there and it was a course I knew that wouldn't suit me for a faster time.

Had a good run, I thought it was going to rain but the sun came out and it's nice and fresh.   I live such a sheltered life that the biggest excitement today was seeing that the perimeter fence has been put up round what will be our new Aldi store. :D

Incidentally for those of you that like High 5 gels, Lidl's are selling their race packs from next Thursday, I think you get 12 gels plus an load of other stuff for £8.    I don't like gels but can stomach a High 5 one if I have to.

• Options
    Hi Nell! I'm also interested in your plans. I'm in for the Manchester-Liverpool double again (assuming I don't get into London) but next year I'd definitely like to do an Autumn marathon too.
    The weight debate is rather interesting. Big G - my dad was the absolute worst when it came to my running and other training. I'd tell him I'd achieved something and rather than congratulate me, he'd tell me not to "overdo it". Still, this was a man who ended up with diabetes, high cholesterol and blood pressure and ended up having a stroke that left him disabled. So I'll stick with the running, thanks dad.
    Anyway, I've been sticking at 10 and half stone for a while now (I was closer to 11 in the winter - I am always heavier then). Since I'm 5'7, I am heavy for a runner, at least as far as performance goes. I think Mo is the same height as me and I'm 11 kilos heavier! It'd be nice to get down to 10 stone but there's not much I can cut from my diet, other than carbs. I don't eat fast food, rarely drink and rarely eat junk so I'd be left eliminating things that would take all the joy out of eating. No thanks.
    Big G - that marathon sounds tortuous!

Took a rest day yesterday (I had thought about running, but it was chucking it down in the morning so I decided against). I did a little yoga at home and had an afternoon nap.
    There was no parkrun today (cancelled due to a beer festival - not that the festival was starting at 9am, but trucks could be on part of the course delivering beer and stuff). Had I been fighting fit I would have opted for the 10K on Clapham Common instead, but I'm not, so I didn't. Instead just went out for a run on the common, albeit earlier than parkrun. I was feeling rather wobble-headed again and my hip felt stiff (however, it is fine while running now, so I'll chalk this up to getting tight from all the lunging in Vinyasa) so I warmed up carefully - sun salutations, glute bridges and then a brisk 5 minute walk. I was rather surprised to run a 10:31 opening mile and a 10:03 second mile, so I decided to make it a progression and ran 9:47, 9:37 and 9:22 for the other three. I finished with a cooldown mile of 10:27. Not a bad run considering. I don't doubt I'll be able to do Richmond half next weekend, even if I'm still not quite right, but I'm not in PB shape. Given the issues I've had, I've got a better chance getting that PB at River Thames in October, if conditions are favourable. There's also Royal Parks but I'm going to assume it'll be too crowded for a PB. Speaking of which, if anyone wants to sponsor me, there's a link in my profile. I'm only half way to my target with a month to go. :(

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, I'm similar that I prefer to try and use running to stay more healthy so try and ignore the people who say I'm too thin etc.  It tends to be the same people who say running is bad for your knees/bones....  Or when I try and explain that although City to Sea was terrible in one way, it was also probably the event I'm most proud of for completing so far and it's a "must do" event for the future.  Non runners just don't get it :)  

I did a 6-mile run including a parkrun this morning, which was really enjoyable.  On the parkrun I was running with a clubmate so we had a good chat on the way around.  The field was waterlogged as expected, so a slow run was all I could manage on that section in any case!
  • Options
    Cal - good to see you are getting stronger again, a progression run is always a good confidence booster. I wouldn't rule out RParks for a good time. I ran it last year and didn't find it too congested. But definitely get there early - I ended up having to abandon the toilet queue and had to go behind a tree, followed by a sprint to the bag drop for another queue. Made the start with seconds to spare, despite having arrived early. The tubes were also really busy.

Nice run/parkrun today, Big G.

On the weight thing, my dad told me the other day that he was 8 and a half stone when he ran his PBs and if people said he looked too thin, he always knew he was in good running shape! I haven't lost any weight since starting running, and if anything my legs look bigger as have more muscle now.

Ran my 99th parkrun today at a local course. Was running alongside another lady for a lot of it and we had the same 50 top, same height and were running in sync until she sped up at the end and beat me by 6 seconds. Just looked her up and she has a 2:37 marathon PB and a 33 min 10k from the commonwealth games! Plus a 15 minute 5K PB! But all from a few years back. Not heard of her, but today must have been a gentle jog comparatively!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on your 99th, SK.  Today was my 78th, so I won't be getting to my 100th this year.  I am tail run/walker in a couple of weeks, so it means I can volunteer but also get a finishers time/position to go towards the 100th.  Looking at past results the tail run/walkers can take around an hour at Torbay, but it'll be an opportunity to stop for a coffee/cake with the other marshals afterwards :)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done on #99 SK! Sounds like you had an epic challenge with the pro!  (what do you call someone who's competed at the commonwealth games? A commonwealth?)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good news that you had a much better run and are getting your energy back.

Big G - I wonder if all these folk that tell us not to 'overdo it' or offer dire threats for our joints are just trying to convince themselves that they are much healthier by not doing anything.  Maybe only way of truly tackling the obesity crisis is to change folks thinking and attitude to healthy eating and exercise, but at the moment there's definitely a 'them' or 'us'.

Re parkrun, I saw a piece in the HE looking for volunteers for the new parkrun at Teignmouth, says it won't go ahead without volunteers coming forward to help.   Surely whoever is setting it up should have sorted that out first?

SK - you've obviously inherited your Dad's running physique and talent for running.  
    Well done at speedy run in fast company for your parkrun.   There are a lot of good runners that have run in the Commonwealth Games, but just never quite make the World/European/Olympic standard, but a great way to represent their country.

Right must get out for my run, want to be back to watch GNR on telly :)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Great running,had a quick look at the result,she may have beat you but you won on age grading :)
    Shades-With parkrun they generally have a core team set up then rely on runners volunteering every now and again to fill the extra slots,it's probably hard at first as everyone wants to run it.
    Off to watch the Wirral half and 10k later,gutted I can't do it as it's an ideal pb course if there's no wind but the timing is poor for me again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the Trotters got approached a couple of months ago to get involved with setting up Teignmouth, but as a club we declined.  I think Chair had some inside knowledge and advised the club to steer clear of it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian & Big G- re the parkrun looking for volunteers, the piece in the paper said the parkrun was all set up and ready to start but wouldn't go ahead unless volunteers came forward, I thought it was a bit odd the way it was worded.  Normally you'd have your core team to start up then recruit your volunteers from the regular attendees.  Maybe there's been a big falling out?

Ian - I see they're doing a Half later in the year on what I think is the same course as your ultra was on?   Never mind about today's races, we can't do them all.    :)

• Options
    8 and a half, SK? He must have been tiny! I weighed that for a few months when I was 16, ran twice a day and used to starve myself. Of course I got injured and couldn't maintain it. The lightest I've been in middle age is 10 stone and that's tough to get to and even harder to maintain. I guess I'm just not cut out to be thin. Anyway, well done on 99 and your epic battle with the commonwealth runner. :)

After my run yesterday I did Yin at 12 and Vinyasa at 5, and actually woke up feeling a bit more limber than usual. (Well, less stiff and painful, anyway). And also happy. Weather was perfect (blue skies, bit of a nip) so I did 9 miles and found my pace crept up to around MP after a bit so I stuck with it. However, after putting in a 9:35 at mile 8 I realised I was actually pretty knackered and still not feeling 100% so I did a bit of a slower mile to cool down. I probably should have stuck to easy pace today (after the progression run yesterday) but I do tend to run faster when I'm a little bit cold. My groin is a bit tetchy but it did get a good stretching yesterday (dragons were invovled in Yin, then all the lunges in Vinyasa) so not surprised, really. I'll keep an eye on it. Got Yin again later.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Cal-Good running the last couple of days. 
    Shades-Ive seen that race,you are correct it's along the Wirral way,that's the bit of the ultra I wasn't keen on but would probably still do it  except it's the week before 4 villages half and I've really enjoyed that the last 2 years,even though its definitely not a pb course so I'll be aiming at that instead.
    Seen the weather was due to be worse this afternoon so didn't go and watch the race so I could do my 8 miles this morning instead,all done at an easy pace so going to watch GNR now that I recorded as I knew I'd miss the first half
  • Options
    Thanks Ian, love age grading!
    Cal - I don't think it was an epic battle for her as I'm sure she still had a couple of gears that she wasn't even using!

Love watching the GNR on TV! The men's race does seem a bit like a Mo show as they don't seem to have invited any serious contenders for him, but I might be proved wrong. Also, I'd forgotten how dull most of the route is! I ran it in 2015 and apart from the start and finish, most of the route is on dual carriage ways.

Shades, from what I know from parkrun set ups, they usually try and have an initial core team of volunteers when setting up, but then always try and increase this when the parkrun is launched. I think the reason for this is that often the initial core team are also attached to other local parkruns and also because the bigger the team, the more all the volunteers can get to run themselves.

Had a nice 15 mile run this morning t a local aquadrone. I think autumn mornings are probably my favourite time of year for running. I've got another HM next week, the Harrow Half which has been resurrected. They've got closed roads for the course but have only got around 500 runners entered. The course won't be fast as the start and finish both have a steep hill (the course measurer, called this 'suicidal'!) They have roped in Mara Yamauchi to run it as she used to run for a local club.
  • Options

Got up at 6.30am this morning ready for 20 mile long run. Ate some porridge and toast and jam. By the time I'd finished faffing it was 7.30am when I left. Nice day for running, overcast but not too cold. Wore my new running belt with 6 gels attached to practice for marathon day. It felt weird initially but soon got used to it. Felt good on run and enjoyed the route along country roads and canal tow paths. It was a 10 mile loop so planned to do same loop twice. I decided to wait as long as I could before taking my first gel thinking i may experience something close to bonking just to see how I coped. At just after 14 miles I got really hungry and pace slowed. Then I suddenly had visual distortion which I've had years ago prior to a migraine. I ate two gels in succession (bit too late in the day I reckon). The vision distortion got really bad but I was determined to complete my 20 miles.......

• Options

Shades I was glad I had my pound coin today

• Options

Dashed into Tesco at 18 miles and bought a mars bar which helped. Did the 20 miles which I was pleased with and the vision distortion had gone but a migraine came on. Luckily my wife had some strong migraine tablets. Took one and eventually it got rid of it. 

I've been trying to work out what caused the migraine on good old Google and I think it was electrolyte depletion and lack of hydration. Annoyed with myself for not drinking enough water yesterday. I am also going to make an electrolyte drink to take the day before my next 20 miler.

Despite this I really enjoyed the run. My legs felt good throughout and it passed by so quickly with the lovely scenery along canal

• Options
    Do you get the zig-zag rainbow, John? I've had a couple of those, but without the headache. I've had migraine headaches on other occassions. First time I got the rainbow I freaked - it was like a little blurry spot but then it grew. Horrible feeling.

• Options
    Yes that's the one Cal. I've never had it during a run before. It's been about 3 years since my last migraine. Hoping I don't get another one for a long time. 
  • Options
    John/Cal - I never get migraines during runs but often get bad headaches a few hours after races. For me I think its dehydration as I don't tend to drink anything during races and forget to drink much after. Good idea to try the electrolyte drink beforehand next time and make sure you are fully hydrated.
  • Options
    Well done on the 20 miles btw!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    John-Well done on the 20,always a big milestone once that is completed and you feel ok after it.
    Had a look at the results of the Wirral half and a guy I raced a lot of my 10k with(beat me by 10 secs) finished just under 1:27,that gives me a lot of confidence that I could get sub 1:30 in November.
  • Options
    Thanks Ian and Slowkoala. Just one more 20 miler planned. Eaten well after run. These long runs make me crave anything sweet or salty. Trying to eat healthy but had a few treats
  • Options
    Shades thank you for the advice for pacing my half today, it worked! I ran the Vale of York half. It was a well organised event not far from me. Pretty flat and rural course. I went by myself which was great until tired and stuck in traffic on the way home! I decided to try to keep just below 10 min miles and see how it went. I also talked to myself about the fact I was capable of being faster than I used to be! My splits varied from 9.30-9.52 so surprisingly consistent. I finished in 2.08.13 with an average pace of 9.42. A PB of 12 minutes....I have been slowly recovering and hydrating. 4 weeks to my marathon at York. This has been a great boost. Thanks again Shades for your plan and advice.

Hope everyone else is ok, feeling exhausted, just wanted to update :smile:
  • Options
    Well done, Lily!
    SK - yeah, not had one running before although I've had dehydration headaches. I did get one after the gym once, which I put down to the fluorescent lighting. I was doing bench press on my back and one of the lights was flickering a bit. Also got a couple around the time my mother died which I put down to stress. Not had one for a while, thank goodness.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    John - well done on your 20 miler.   I'm so pleased the pound coin saved your day but please stop now trying to experiment and see what it's like to have an energy crisis.  :'(   But you recovered well.   Dehydration is one of the main causes of headaches and that is definitely not an experience you want to repeat.   You can buy gels that have electrolytes in them, many runners assume that gels have electrolytes but most don't.  I use either concentrated electrolyte solution that I add a few drops to water during a race or electrolyte tablets.

You need to eat well after a long run.

Ian - 1:27 for your fellow racer, wow.   Is he in that club you are going to join?

Lily - well done, that's is a massive PB, brilliant running.  :)

Very windy here this morning, gusty so one minute it's fine then the next nearly blown off my feet.   Nothing like Irma though, so scary to see pictures of that, we don't know how lucky we are.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the GNR yesterday, nice to see Mo running in a more relaxed manner.   But I've never seen him run in GB kit before except when representing GB, of course.   Most unusual, wonder if he's changing sponsor or even coach as his non GB kit has his coaching group logo on it.   Any ideas?