Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck at the assessment Cal.

I did a gentle 3-miles just to get the legs moving this morning. This evening, I’m leading a 7-mile run with the club. In the summer we have “away runs” so I’m leading a group around one of my favourite routes in Paignton - mainly off-road and with fantastic views over the Torquay and Brixham. 
  • Options

Ian/Shades ware 10 is at best Undulating, will be disappointed with anything over 75 but struggling after time off after NDW and holiday.  Still 2 weeks to go will probably be feeling better by then.  Haven't entered FVC yet but feel I'd probably struggle to get round the 50k, I am still tempted by the half.  Ian good luck with the 11 hours shift!!!

Big G, sounds like we're looking to peak in decent shape at the same time, got my 1st (of 3) halfs in sept with my A race I October, my only concern with speed sessions is remaining injury free.  Well done on the recovery run and enjoy the 7 miles this evening, once again I got a hill in stevenage to run up and down if I make it out.

Cal as shades commented it could be due to hydration leading upto the race, many ignore it but its something I was very weary of for Manchester and NDW and think I got it spot on.

Nighmare today, train left the station a minute early and missed it by seconds, then the next train an hour later was cancelled. So my get up at 6am was a waste and will try and do my session after work when its a bit warmer, was also late for work

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sorry I read it that you had carbo loaded for the half marathon. :/ 

For your double, there's no need to overdo the carbo loading the key is to keep well hydrated on Day 1 and refuel before Day 2, so eat as much as you can once you've finished the first one.   And the sooner you start the better, as soon as you get over the finish line.   If you feel you do want to eat more before Day 1 step away from the junk, no caramel wafers ;)

Details please of your double for the marathon list.

That's fantastic running from JW, 16 minutes off the club record, wow.

Loch Ness is a good goal for you, weather is usually good for marathon running with any wind being a prevailing tailwind, air quality is better up there too.

Cal - maybe in the warmer weather you could have done with more water before your race, but I'm sure it didn't affect your race time, had it been a longer race it might have.

At Yogalates I asked the instructor what she thought my injury was and after she gave me a few tests she agrees it's not an achilles injury as such.   She thinks it might just be a bit of soreness caused by something such as uneven camber and to treat it when I finish a run when it's sore like it was a bit of inflammation, RICE etc.  Possibility that it's the calf/soleus but the pain is felt in the achilles area.

Hope the assessment gives you some useful data.

Robert - oh no, that's not a good start to the week :(

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're probably right, Shades. I do drink water more or less constantly (I have a glass on my desk that I drink throughout the day and refill several times).
    So the running analysis was interesting (and...bonus...I managed not to fall off the treadmill). As I knew, my right foot flicks out and my leg lift is woeful at the rear, but the rest is surprisingly good in terms of arms, posture, cadence and foot strike (I don't overstride).  So a few things to work on and strengthen. I dip my right hip so that's likely where the hip issue is coming from, so I've been prescribed on legged squat (yuk!) and also need to do some drills to get my legs to come up more behind.
    Robert - ugh. :(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal-Good news it's not the achilles,hopefully means it will go quicker.
    Rob-Bad start to the day,hope it got better.
    Big G/Rob-My main target now will be chester in October and sounds like we will all be aiming for similar times so it will be interesting to see how we're all getting on.
    I had another long day today,just 10.5.My standard day is 10 so not too much longer.Managed to get out for 6 after work and it was very hot but went ok,took it nice and easy and enjoyed it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's really useful info from your assessment, especially re your hip, was certainly worth doing.

Ian - you're very dedicated.  There's not many that do such a long day and then get out for a run in this weather.

Is the achilles OK after the weekend's race?

I hate this hot weather but at least the early mornings are perfect for running.  I went out just after 5 today and the sun was already out but it was cool and sunny and not humid, saw several other runners out too, far more than I usually do at that time of day.   Went back to my Hokas (5mm drop) today and had a couple of minutes of discomfort at 2 miles then it went away again, my route had no camber to speak of today.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No different to a normal day,it's tight when I wake and after I've drove or sat for a bit.I prefer this weather,means I run a bit slower and hopefully get the same effect.Made a mistake at rhyl though and now have slight sunburn around my vest area which is usually not exposed as I wear t-shirts.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, for the list, my next two events are Enigma events and are taking place on 28th and 29th July.  They're the ones that I won in separate raffles, although of course they're not "free" for me with the hotel, but I got a good price for it.  Can't say I'm especially looking forward to them, but it'll be nice to catch up with a few of the usual people who will no doubt be there.

Cal, interesting analysis and it sounds like you've got some things you can work on, which is good news.

Robert, nightmare with the trains :( 

Ian, well done for getting out and good news the achilles is behaving.

I led the 7-miler last night, so ended up doing 10 yesterday, which is probably not the best idea after a half as legs are feeling it a bit this morning!  There were 14 of us last night, and although it was warm, the skies were clear so the views over the bay were stunning.  Quite a few of the runners hadn't expected to see the view, and there were a few "wows!" when it opened up and they saw it.  It's quite a tough/hilly route although picturesque, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.   I think I will be taking a rest day today, but hope to get out and do a speed session of sorts tomorrow, either with the club or on my own in the morning.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's good that the achilles is no worse after your race.  LOL at the vest tan :D  It's much cooler to run in a vest though.

Big G - thanks for the info, I'll add them to the list.   I'm sure you'll enjoy running round the lake again. ;) 

Glad your club run went well, that's a good turnout considering the weather.
  • Options

Cal where did you get the assessment done? how much does it usually cost?

Shades, I too enjoy getting up early and going for a early run, its a great feeling and feel like you're winning in life! problem for me is I can't get my arse out of bed early enough.

Ian, good luck at chester, heard its a flat one?

Big G, Good luck with those Enigma events, don't appeal much to me. Still jealous of your club run however Fairlands Valley park isn't too bad in the sun. 

After yesterday's train debacle, my day got gradually worse, lost out on my monthly bonus, and train home was delayed by a further 20 mins (the one after was cancelled).  Silver lining though I'm going to be put on a 1st Aider course through work which after marshaling at London Marathon I was keen to do.

Managed to get out for my run after work, was warm 5.5 miles with 5x8secs hill sprints in the middle with 90 secs recovery.... the hill wasn't very steep so will change the hill for future runs.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Robert - I got mine done at BodyLogic (one of my club's sponsors) - they have offices in Battersea and Streatham. The analysis is £35 unless you're a Chaser, in which case it's free :grin: . Probably  not that convenient for you but there are other places that do it, such as The Running School, which has a lot more locations (but is also a lot more expensive - £89 for their analysis and their technique courses are twice the price too).

Sorry about your continuing woes, but first aid training is very good to have. I've never had to use mine, fortunately, but someone in my club did once when a guy keeled over at the track and she had to do CPR. Always good to be prepared.

I actually had a good sleep last night - was in bed by 10 and woke up at 5:30 (I did wake up during the night - I always do - but was able to go back to sleep which, sometimes I can't). But I needed a bit longer to get myself going so I didn't get out for a run until 9:15. I'd have been OK to run earlier, but by the time the sleep fug had dissipated, it was rush hour. Probably good to get a warm run in anyway seeing as I have a 10K next Wednesday evening. Not that I'll be going for a PB - it's just a bit of fun.
    I was concentrating a lot on technique so ended up running quite a bit faster than I usually do for an easy run (10:37 opening mile but then 9:50s for the rest) so I decided just to do the minimum 4 miles as I was starting to get tired. I daresay the fact I was concentrating a lot played into that.
    Achilles was grumbling a bit but the hip seems to be mostly OK - just a bit tight, really. I know my calves took an absolute beating at Harry Hawkes so I expect the Achilles will calm down a little once they've recovered. Buggers are always tight, though.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-that's a good turnout for a bit evening and nice they got good views.
    Rob-Chester is pretty flat,and amazing organisers,can't speak highly enough of them.Bad news on your bonus.
    Shades-It is a lot cooler but I still only use them for races,still too heavy to wear them for training.
    Day off today apart from a meeting later,so went out earlier,did 8.5 miles,wanted to go longer but bit much of a rush and too hot.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - the down side of getting up so early is that you have to go to bed early.   I've always found it easy to get up early especially at this time of year.

Bad luck on losing out on your bonus, that really was a bad Monday.   Good news about the first aid training though.

Cal - hope those niggles clear up.   Good that you slept better, especially at this time of year.

Ian - is it you or your vest that's you think is too heavy for training? :/   If you think it's you, then you can buy vests that are a different cut (less revealing) that you could use for training.

Big G - just entered Plym Trail for 26th August, been on my to do list for weeks but Davey's reminder finally spurred me on to do it. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it's me,could do with a fair bit more going before I wear one day to day,I have some very light t-shirts that I wear that are nice in this weather though.
    I'm thinking about entering one of the salwick scorcher marathons in July,it's on for 7 days and I have 2 off together so may give one a go.
  • Options
    Cal, I hope never to use it either, but felt helpless at London mara this year when a couple of people were in a bad way.

Shades just need to buckle up a bit for a month, Elle's 40th in August too!

7 warm miles this evening, seemed a bit of a struggle but am confident the sluggish feeling will pass if i keep persevering with it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - there's lots of great materials now that cope really well with the hot weather.   I am wary of light colours as I'm very fair skinned and I have got burnt when wearing a white shirt for running.  I don't think with the techy fabrics that colour matters much if at all.

I've seen those Salwick Scorcher marathons, last year I think they were going to do a 50 miler and then that seems to have been cancelled.  That's not far for you to travel.

Robert - Maybe that sluggish feeling is just the heat at the end of the day.

9 miles done this morning, lovely and cool and fresh for the first hour of my run, started to warm up rapidly after that.   Good to get the training done early, saw quite a few runners today that I've never seen before.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-When I said light I meant weight wise  ;) I have quite a few tech tops now but there can be a difference in them.
    They have a 50km option this year,seems very low entries,so more like a timed long run than a race,most days last year had 15-20 runners.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, I've got some techy tops and they feel quite heavy/warm.  You can't really tell until you run in them.

Well I hope they get enough runners to continue to hold the events.   There are so many races now to choose from, if you include trail, but this heat might stop some folk entering a marathon at this time of year.   

Let me know when you decide and I'll add it to the list.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Robert - the down side of getting up so early is that you have to go to bed early.   I've always found it easy to get up early especially at this time of year.

Shades, you probably go to bed before Love Island is on then, so I presume you catchup on it over breakfast   :D

Ian/Shades, the parkrun "50 T-Shirt" is probably the worst shirt I have for running.  It fits fine but kind of clings to the body when I sweat and it just feels uncomfortable - not sure what material it is as the label has fallen off, but it has a silky feeling to it.  For that reason I hardly wear it, which is a shame, so I'm hoping the 100 T-Shirt is better.  I always just run in tops I've got from races, apart from at events where I wear a club shirt or vest.

Shades, not 100% sure about Davey's yet, although I expect I'll enter at least one.

I've just done what is probably the toughest interval session I've ever done, from Jo Pavey out of RW.  It's:
    3x1k off of 2:30 recovery
    5min recovery
    6x400m off of 60secs recovery
    5min recovery
    3x200m off of 45secs recovery.

The 1ks were okay but I obviously went off too quickly on the 400m so they weren't very consistent and the last one was the joint slowest  - I was really hanging on at the end of that one.  400m is a long way ;)  The 200s were okay and actually they got slightly quicker although there wasn't a lot left at the end.  I didn't have any idea what pace I was doing for the 400s or 200s really, but again at least that's some kind of bench mark.

Splits were:
    1k:      4:00, 4:01, 3:57
    400m: 1:29, 1:30, 1:36, 1:29, 1:34, 1:36
    200m: 44, 42, 41

It was only 6k/approx 23mins of effort but that was a toughie!  With the warmup/cool down and moving in between it was just over 7 miles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Big_G said:
    SHADES said:

Shades, you probably go to bed before Love Island is on then, so I presume you catchup on it over breakfast   :D

I'm not watching Love Island !   But I record 99% of any TV I watch and then watch at my leisure without having to endure any of the adverts.

I hope you got out early to do that session, looks really tough :'(   Is this speed training to crack that sub 20 on your 5km time?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Another reasonable sleep and I was delighted to find it much cooler this morning (the sun has come out now and it's supposed to get hot later...though I'm hoping it doesn't, of course.) I did 10 miles, averaging 10:19. Honestly, I was trying to run slower - I just couldn't seem to make it happen. When I checked my stats, my cadence was my standard easy run cadence (around 172) but my stride was a bit longer. (It's still a short stride - average 0.91 - but it was always around 0.85 before unless I was doing a race or parkrun).
    Not sure if this is down to new shoes, me getting a little bit lighter, or me getting a bit stronger thanks to that pilates class, but I'll take it.
    On the minus side, I seem to have tweaked my back in yoga again. It wasn't noticeable until I was running, when I felt a bit of an ache, but now my left hip is hurting as a result (the left hip is the good one). I know this will pass in a day or two but it's annoying. I've hurt myself doing the same pose before so I'm just going to point blank refuse to do it in future. Oh and achilles is still grumpy but I don't think that's going to fix itself overnight.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Nice HM and intervals.
    Ian - Brilliant HM PB!!
    Rob - Yeah Bournemouth has a hill in, think in the second half!
    Cal - Congrats on the sub 90!!
    Shades - A 10k!! thought it was a typo to start with and you meant 100k!
    Iain - Brilliant running!

Back to 5 days running this week, 7m Tuesday and 5m today with 8m planned tomorrow. With my lower mileage I need to loose about 6lbs to get back to racing weight, but enough time to get that off over the course of the marathon training.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, take care with the back.  Sounds a good idea not to do that pose for a while at least!

Shades, yes, that's the hope/plan.  With no marathons for a few weeks, I'd hoped to be able to get a few interval sessions in, and along with any weight loss, I may just get there.  The only issue is fitting the 5K race in as annoyingly the next three (first Tuesday of the month) don't really suit.  I won't be ready for July's based on my last parkrun, and August and September's are both after planned marathons.  I've said it before, but if I finally get under 20mins for a 5K I think it will mean just as much to me as when I finally broke 4hrs for the marathon.  But I'm way off at the moment :(  Last year I did 20:01 at a parkrun and 20:15 at an official event, but again that was after a marathon so not ideal timing.

Didn't have you down as a Love Island person.  I'm not either :)  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-post Steve.  Sounds like a few of us are saying we would like to lose a few pounds.  Good luck with it!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Cal - annoying picking up that back pain, definitely skip that yoga pose next time.

Do you still think it's your achilles, is it sore when you get out of bed in the morning?

Mine was OK this morning, faintest twinge at 2 miles today but went away immediately.

Steve  - I couldn't find a 100km race to do ;) 

Big G - Annoying that the 5km races don't fall on a marathon free week, but you do recover quickly these days do there's still a good chance you can get that sub 20.

I'll take that as a compliment that you didn't think I watched Love Island :) 

Maybe those of you wanting to lose a few pounds should have a little Fat Club on here, nothing like a bit of healthy competition to keep you out of the cookie jar.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think what I'm going to do is try and "race" one or two parkruns as I do remember it's really tactical and it needs practice.  I remember that, for me, I have to be very careful/realistic with the pace early on, otherwise I just get progressively slower.  I know a lot of people try and go out hard and just hold on, but that just doesn't work for me.  Even 10s a mile too quick for the first mile or 1.5 miles, and for me it's game over.  I do like the challenge though as obviously I have to be pretty tuned in to know where I'm at with my fitness, but also don't want to limit myself, and also don't want to have anything left at the end.  So it's a balancing act, and I think it at least partly comes with practice, and also getting to know a bit about my pacing from these interval sessions helps too.  I'm basically out of practice from running quickly, but fingers crossed it'll come back.  I also need to do some intervals significantly faster than 5K pace to get used to running quicker than 5K pace, and maybe the odd 10x45sec session will help with that.  We'll see :)  That's all in theory obviously, and I'm speaking as someone who hasn't reached his goals at all in a 5K!

How would a "fat club" work then?  Do you mean we just post if we've been "naughty" or "good" with the food, to help with motivation.  I don't mind doing that if anyone else wants to.  For me though I just know I can get the weight off fairly easily (I've lost 2lbs over the last 7 days with minimal changes, and don't feel I'm particularly restricting myself) and I do know I can have the odd ice cream or cake, and it'll still come off.  For me, I don't want to say "no cake" or "no ice cream" etc as, well, I like ice cream and cake.   B)   I have what I think is an ideal racing weight, but my issue is that although I can get there, I do struggle to stay there for a long period of time!  Also, I remember one time I think I took it too far and went just a pound or two lighter again (still well inside the healthy BMI zone), but then I felt quite weak.  Another balancing act!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm really surprised you haven't had a sub 20 5k,wonder if it's like the sub 4 and once you do it you'll smash it down.Ive never done any specific 5k training but feel I can get near 19 this year if the achilles behaves.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've never even run a 5km race but I would think for us as distance runners to pace a 5km right is really tricky and I think you're right when you say takes practice.   Due to all the parkruns now runners are getting a chance to race a 5km distance often and can continue to get PB's as they get more skilled at pacing the distance.

Big_G said:

How would a "fat club" work then?  Do you mean we just post if we've been "naughty" or "good" with the food, to help with motivation.  I don't mind doing that if anyone else wants to.  For me though I just know I can get the weight off fairly easily (I've lost 2lbs over the last 7 days with minimal changes, and don't feel I'm particularly restricting myself) and I do know I can have the odd ice cream or cake, and it'll still come off.  For me, I don't want to say "no cake" or "no ice cream" etc as, well, I like ice cream and cake.   B)   I have what I think is an ideal racing weight, but my issue is that although I can get there, I do struggle to stay there for a long period of time!  Also, I remember one time I think I took it too far and went just a pound or two lighter again (still well inside the healthy BMI zone), but then I felt quite weak.  Another balancing act!
    Entirely up to you and anyone else that wants to participate.  Not so sure it's a good idea to say if you've been naughty as that would probably subconsciously encourage all the others to eat too much too.  Maybe just a weekly update, no need for actual weights, but pounds that you want to lose, loss so far, weight still to lose, any target date/event.   For instance as you've already lost 2 pounds it's unlikely you'd want to spoil that if you knew you had to 'report in'.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades - yeah, it's really stiff in the morning. A few heel drops usually loostens it up.
    I could do with being leaner, too. I've lost a few pounds recently - I think a lot of it is because it's too hot to put the oven on, so I've replaced the baked potatoes (covered in cheese) with canned beans and chickpeas in my salads. I've had ice cream and chocolate though - mostly from the birthday care package my friend sent me. I was 10'2 after my run today - some of that is likely down to sweat loss. I would like to get below 10 but it's been years since I was that weight. (I'm not so much bothered with aesthetics as I am with getting a bit faster and taking more strain off my beleaguered joints and tendons).
    As far as 5Ks/parkruns go, I've always got better times when I've gone off hard and tried to hold on. I always slow down, but I've set all my PBs that way.