Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

Morning!

JP is safely out of the water at IMUK.

Yes, Mark's pearents are looking aftre Gracie for us. We fly to Prague on Wednesday afternoon.

Sun is shining this morning - long may it last - so I shall be fitting in another short ride on the new bike amongst the domestics and faffing. Collect my mtb from the LBS today too.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

I just got a sniffly nose now & as it's mainly in the morning it could just be hayfever.  I'm getting there with my running and have my 5k in 5 weeks so don't think there'll be much time to do any speed work unless it's really small intervals in the middle of a run.

Elspeth,

I missed that about your long run.  That's qucik for 20 miles.

Flossie,

I think it's going to be the next race because they have a 4 week break and this year about 10 of the teams have signed an agreement to say they are going to have a 2 week shutdown.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    3 miles done with no ankle pain, although my hip & back do feel a bit tight.
  • Options

Bridget - May be a cunning plan to find a ring you like as well as a bathroom - or does that just happen to LB!

HY - that's good.

Shades - Don't know about Moray yet - don't really feel fit enough but haven't ruled it out yetimage. I felt slow yesterday, may have been partly because I was running alone the whole way whereas I usually do a bit with others who speed me up a bit. Might be more tempted if someone else was going down but on the other hand could go and see a friend north of Inverness on the way home. Dithersimage

Flossie - Glad to hear you're on the mend and back in training.

LMH - must be getting pretty exciting nowimage

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

LMH - you cna have my bike too - had enough of mine today!

For some bizarre reason my headstock came undone and my handlebars rotated round just over a mile into today's ride on a very steep downhill...just managed to stop at the bottom in a heap but my just healed knee is all bloody again and I have a lovely blue bruised lump on my elbow. Then my gears decided to play up and the chain was slipping everytime I changed. And there were a lot of fast guys out on today's ride that I've not met before...ended up averaging 18mph for three hours I was with them (I normally do aorunf 15mph)...I am ruined! Split off from them early and headed home from a place12 miles away but it is virtually uphill all the wayimage

Still my pink tyres looked good image

• Options

Cas - That must of been a bit scary for you, could of been worse!
    No wonder your "ruined" going at that pace, blimey! Must of been the tyres they were getting away from image

Elspeth - Well done on your 20 miles and that is NOT slow!

I went out today and did Indian Queens Half Marathon in Cornwall. I was going really well up until 6 miles and had a low spot for 2 miles then picked it up again at 8 miles and finished quite strongly. God knows why but I just felt like giving up, it did get a bit warm as the sun came out then I felt better when it went in again image My watch wasn't right but I was definately about 5 mins slower than last year. So around 2.10, Hoping the results will be a bit less 

Right going to check on the Double Ironman Pirates......

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Well done VR!

image Just thouhgt, if I stole LB's bling bling lifestyle yesterday, maybe I have her accident-prone life stile today!!

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Flossie - Schumacher's comeback race will be the European GP at Valencia on August 23.  Glad to hear Flossette is getting her back sorted - sounds painful.

HY4 - Well done on the run.

(((Ultracas))) - Hope you're ok.  Best check the headset is tight enough, and check the bolts on the stem.  If you're not sure how to do this, message/e-mail/telephone me, and I can talk you through it, as it is a bike job I do know how to fix - despite being a numpty at bike mechanics!  As for the gears....I'd probably go to the LBS. image  Hopefully you'll have a much better time of it on the Shadies Cycle Ride.

-------------------

46 miles hilly this morning with Little Miss Happy's hubby, this morning.  Really enjoyed the bike ride and the company - and of course the stop for cakes! 

Having gone over what would qualify as a 4th Category climb if it featured on the TdF route, it makes one appreciate how awful some of these HC climbs must be!

• Options

VR - Like the way you just go out and do a HM on a whim, well doneimage. Can we have the sun back, I think you stole it, just been for a walk but got too wet!

Ultracas - Obviously not all good trying to be LB, not on a bike anyway, sounds a bit sore.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    VR - Well done on your half-marathon today.  image
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Nice riding Mr B!

Headset is fixed one of the guys from the club got it sorted for me - I was a bit shaken! Knee and elbow aren't too bad but I just feel shattered and with that empty/hungry feeling despite having scoffed bacon and egg sarnies. Yep, time Terry was serviced I think!

• Options

Well done Mr. Bump image

How do you categorise a climb, is it what percentage a hill is or length?
    I bet there's some bigun's round here! 
    I must try and get out on my bike next week if it stays dry.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Bump,

Well done on the bike ride.

• Options

Good running HY4.

Cas - 18mph for 3 hours? I'm in awe. Perhaps I should look for a group to ride with but I tend to think that as I have to ride alone in the race then I should do so training. Maybe I'm just making my life difficult? Glad you're relatively unscathed after your accident.

Mr B - Mark had a great time, we'll have to sort out a ride with the three of us after Prague or maybe I'll just let you take him out again.

VR - I often get  like that in races, just want to walk, a good talking too usually does the job. Well done on  sorting yourself out and keeping going.

Elspeth - that was a fats 20 miler - pleade believe me. I have a marathon PB of 3.54 and don't run 20 milers in training that fast - or at least I haven't yet!

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Ultracas - It was probably shock, why you're feeling so tired.  Pleased you're ok apart from the injuries you mention.

VR - A 4th category climb is generally minimum 4% average with a minimum altitude gain of 70 metres.  I think it is 150m minimum altitude gain for 3rd category.  However, the categories are flexible in that the category may be upgraded if the climb is at the end of a stage or if the road surface is poor, or if there are significant parts at 10% gradient or steeper

HY4 - Thanks.

Little Miss - I'm pleased your OH had a great time.  I'd very much welcome going out for a bike ride again with either or both of you sometime soon.

As for speed, you will go faster in a group because you will be riding with 30% effort due to being able to shelter from the wind.  I don't think that will help you in a triathlon where drafting is not allowed.

• Options

JP is off the bike and onto the run!

We'll organise something soonish then Mr B - I think it's especially good for Mark to have the company, he sounds as though he's had a great time.

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

Mr B/LMH....you only get the benfit of the group if you can stay in the pack,.....I was dropped out the back too much trying to keep up with them and didn't get any benefit from drafting today. Though TBH I find riding in the pack quite scary as a lot of the guys weave alot

Go JP!image

• Options
    fun and annoyance in equal measures its amazing how many paths have vanished or vanish into nowhere- nice slow 10 miles run at ten min miles across warwickshire farms fields woods and villages one dog and an OS map all good al in al
  • Options
    Haven't read back yet, but just had to tell you this.....mtb ride: 20.92 miles; 1:14:37 hrs; 16.28 mph - woohoo!!!  image  Right, off to read back and find out what's been going on and how well JP's done.  image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Evolving,

You're from Warwickshire as well!  Runny Bunny lives in Warwickshire & I use to live there.  Which town are you in?

• Options

Shades - hope you managed to get out today amidst all that paper - it was a really nice day down here.  BTW it's flippin' fantastic to be training again - it's like going out to play everyday.  image

LMH - hope you had a good bike ride today.  Must have been becoming ill on that last 35 miler as speed at that time was only 10.54 mph.  Long day for JP.  image

HY4 - well done on getting 3 miles done and dusted.  As you say, you could play around with speed in the middle of your run (like fartlek).  Glad you feel much better bar the prickly nose - it might be hayfever, something is having a go at my nose too and it's not a virus.  image

Elspeth - you could easily do another marathon, ie Moray and can sense another PB on it's way for you.  image

(((UltraCas))) - ouch!!  Hope you're feeling a bit better and having a good rest after that incident.  image

VR - well done on half marathon (you kept that quiet) - sun affects me like that too.  image

Mr Bump - nice riding and cakes.  You are very lucky to live near LMH and Mark.  However, should be able to get out with new running buddy next week.  Looking forward to Schumacher's reappearance on 23/8.  Thanks for best wishes for Flossette - she is so-o-o-o accident prone.  Maybe it's because she's a teenager.  image

• Options
    Evolving - well done on getting 10 miles done.  image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flossie,

I'd really like to make this 3 pb's out of 3 races and this last one is the toughest.  I've decided not to do the 10k in October because I don't want to get distracted from a possible marathon next year.

• Options
    That is an amazing average on an mtb Flossie - you'd fly on a road bike!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Still keeping fingers crossed for JP.  It would be good if we could have seen the 10k splits how we could for PSC.  The main thing is that he gets round in one piece.
  • Options

Unfortunately the tracker has been down all day - though at least we're getting finish times for each element rather than nothing at all.

Cas - not sure where the offence was taken but none meant.

• Options
    cheers HY4 and Flossy
    HY4 im from sutton coldfield im a member of royal sutton coldfield athletics club been running for 18 months now, last year ran snowdon marathon this year will be bristol and birmingham halves and beachy head marthon, next year its brighton marathon. im thinking of getting a feel for different types of marathons to see what suits,

well done on all your running today everybody
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    LMH...not offended by anything on here today...don't know why you thought I was.....sorry if something I said gave that impression.
  • Options
    Sorted then Cas - probably me being over sensitive image