Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's very sad. From the way he talked about it before, it didn't seem like she had long, but even so, that's rough.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    8 miles this morning.   Didn't have any problems with my back today even after a restless night.   Chilly morning as there was a low lying mist really cold to run through, mist was patchy.   Sun was out in the non misty sections which was nice and considerably warmer.

I see from Tuesday we've got temperatures forecast of 18 degrees here and sunny, might be able to turn my heating off.      B)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Wendover Woods parkrun done today. It’s a lovely route, single loop, a couple of challenging hills, and some mud. Sunny now too :) I did a run/walk in 35mins and really enjoyed it. Foot seems okay - let’s see how it is later. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - good you could enjoy the parkrun today.    Hope there's no reaction from the foot. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I went to Wakehurst (the new one in Sussex, at a botanical gardens owned by Kew) with Tunde and a couple of clubmates who were there as well. Beautiful two lap course but with a couple of steep climbs I wasn't expecting. (I'd heard it was undulating but it was tougher than I expected). Hip's been a nuisance since the last run but I got around, albeit in the somewhat unimpressive time of 31:13. I've the 5 mile Wimbledon trail race in Wednesday so hoping I can manage it without too much pain.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope the conditions underfoot are good for you at the trail race on Wednesday.

10 miles for me today, longest run since June last year!   Takes my week's total to 40 miles.    Run went OK just a bit of cardiac drift in the last couple of miles, but not by much just 3-4 bpm.   Back tired  and niggly in the last mile and when I finished, but is easing now.   Chilly light rain for first half of run then it stopped and warmed up quite nicely.   

If the forecast is right it will be running vest weather in a few days  B)  I always seem to go straight from winter kit to summer kit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Running rest day today for me.

Just confirmed my place in the Cornish this year, I had deferred last year's entry.

Big G - no good for you as Cornish is 3rd November, which I expect is a date clash with NYC. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I had a deferred entry too but I’ve emailed her to say I can’t take the place. Great news on your longest run for quite some time!

Steve Edwards is doing his 1000th marathon today….
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - just had confirmation back from Cornish.    When did life get so complicated, had to confirm my pasty order.

Steak, cheese & onion, vegan, gluten free steak, gluten free cheese and only, gluten free vegan, or no pasty.

Steve is a bit of a wreck, IMHO he's put himself under too much pressure doing this, should have backed off and taken a few weeks.   He really struggled at his so called 999th, over 4 hours, he fell in London and aggravated some niggles/injuries he was already carrying.   I think he's running in a lot of pain.
    At least he can relax after today.

He did his 1,000th a few months ago, this is just his listing for Guinness World Record purposes.

Collette O'Hagan will be running her 1,000th at Dublin, first woman of the 100 club to do so.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Must be a bit difficult I guess as he announced MK months ago, and knows people will be going.  I can’t get my head around it - managing injuries, planning and finally getting to my 100 was hard enough, and I did it on my own so pressure in that regard
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - yes, the pressure must have been immense for Steve.    His father died not long ago so that was just another layer of stress. 

Anyway he'll get today done and then he can rest up.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked MK results and Steve finished just over 4 hours.    So he can relax and get some rest now and enjoy his celebrations. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles today, undulating route and all away from the main roads.   Lush hedgerows and verges, lovely morning, even put my shades on for the last 2 miles.

Gym later.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good news to see Steve has done it. I don’t understand though that he’s saying his official 1000 for the record have been sub 4, but yesterday he was 4:02. Regardless, an amazing achievement. Chair was up there doing the Half (saying he felt weird just doing the Half, but he’s returning from injury…), and said it was great to witness it. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Steve would have had to submit his previous races and times to get the WR authentication so he'd have run the 1,000 qualifying events beforehand.    I think he said a couple of weeks ago that his records had been verified so that would have been why he could allow his last couple of races to go over 4 hours, which was just as well as he was struggling with persistent niggles/injuries.   So yesterday was his celebration of 1,000 sub 4 marathons, not actual.   Even if I'd been fit enough to run I wouldn't have gone, although they are friends of mine.   An 8 hour round trip to MK or North Dorset marathon, no contest ever.    

Chair has had back problems, he was going to my Pilates class for a while.   Last time I spoke to him he said even a short run was painful, that was a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow I'm impressed they do a gluten free pasty. I might have to do it one year, if I ever manage to get over this bloody hip.
    Can't fathom 1000 marathons. I've done 12 and that feels like plenty.
    Unfortunately no running for me since parkrun - hip has been pretty dreadful. Someone on another thread suggested it could be a torn labrum - I really hope not but I'm starting to wonder. I've decided to DNS the Wimbledon trail race tomorrow, largely because it's still very muddy and I don't want to risk it.
    In other news I tried a pilates class last week and booked myself for tomorrow as well. I don't like the timing (12:30 - I usually eat around 12) but it's the only one my gym does and the teacher is good.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just to add to the injury woes.
    Went for a run today,fell over and fractured my shoulder.
    Absolutely wonderful.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - oh no, so sorry to hear that, must be really painful .   I guess you're going to be off work for a good while too.

Cal - I had to Google torn labrum, hope it's not that.   

Can highly recommend Cornish marathon when you are fit again.   Lovely race goes past Daphne du Maurier's infamous Jamaica Inn.  But weather can be challenging.   Pasties are lovely though. 

We need a very big sofa for our injury bench on here, we're all a bit crocked, apart from Steve and Rcouture.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it's pretty painful at the moment,got given strong tablets so hoping they'll take the sting away.
    Will see about work next week,there's some things I can do but a lot I can't.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope you'll be able to sleep OK.

How did it happen, just a simple trip?

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Basically yes,just nice easy run going downhill,felt myself going,I was sort of running forward at the same time,split second I seen some grass so tried to head to that,think I made it worse by twisting towards it as I landed.Dr has actually told me its a shoulder separation,which is better than a fracture but worse than dislocation.
    Due to start physio around 2 weeks and go from there.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey, sorry to hear that Ian. Sounds painful!

Cal, hopefully it’s not what you fear. 

My injury news is that I was supposed to be having my shockwave therapy yesterday, but the guy has had a small procedure on his back that is pulling so needed to rest, but is seeing me today instead. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that sounds better than a fracture, hopefully quicker recovery time.   Good they've sorted your physio already.

Big G - even your physio/podiatrist has an injury, we're all crocked.  ;)  Hope treatment isn't too painful today  :'(

6 miles today, another lovely morning, bit misty in places so didn't need my shades today.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is faster healing than a fracture.
    I have also got in touch with my work medical to see if they can do anything also.
    Had a pretty rough night trying to sleep,expect that for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's hard to sleep with a shoulder injury.    Getting comfortable and then not moving isn't easy.

Sofa today, you can watch the Giro d'Italia, that's on for about 5 hours a day  ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sorry if I missed it, but sad to see you’re not on the Windermere list. But good to see your training is going pretty well, so hopefully you’ll be on the list again soon. I still haven’t made my mind up 100%, but even without the foot, I’m wondering if Riga is a good idea, as I expect it’d be a long day out as I’ve not been running - I’ve done about 15 miles since Tokyo. 

We’ve had a Dutch friend staying for a few days (she was here when we were at Wendover Woods), and she left early for the drive home today. We went to Totnes yesterday and she bought some fudge and other things for her daughter, but she accidentally left it all here on the shelf!  Unfortunately for me, the fudge has got a good date on it and as we’re seeing her in June, I haven’t really got an excuse to eat it :( 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I can verify sleeping with shoulder pain. My left shoulder's been buggered for years...now the left hip is crocked as well I just can't sleep on that side. On the plus side, I was suffering a scabby left ear for over a year, which is now clearing up because I can't lie on it. I finally found out that is something called chondrodermatitis nodularis helicis (there is still a sore little bump but at least it's not scabby and bleeding now). Post-menopause collagen loss is no joke.

Anyway, I have decided to do something. I've booked an appointment with the docs and they've already given me one tomorrow morning with the physio there. I'm hoping to get an MRI referral (or better, a more hopeful diagnosis. I do suspect the labral tear is what it is, though).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I had resigned myself to a DNS at Windermere a couple of weeks ago.    Next on the list is IOM in August, I'm definitely going (hotel booked at the airport) and I'm hoping to be able to get round that marathon.    They have a time limit but will give me an early start if I ask.

Can't advise re Riga, 15 miles since Tokyo, less than ideal  ;)

Bad luck about the fudge.   ;)  If you eat it you'll have to replace it.  🤣

Cal - that's great news you've managed to get such a prompt appointment with the physio tomorrow.    Hope they can give you a diagnosis so you know what you're dealing with. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Newport Marathon- issue re course measurement....

UPDATE 

We've been looking into reports around the accuracy of the Marathon course distance at the Newport Marathon Festival on Sunday 28 April.

This issue has been taken very seriously and we have been having an ongoing dialogue with the Course Measurer/Association of UK Course Measurers (AUKCM).

Unfortunately, the AUKCM has concluded that there was an error with their course measurement, resulting in the Marathon being 276m too long, which equates to 0.171 miles.

Run 4 Wales is disappointed that this has happened at one of its events and understands and apologies unreservedly to those impacted, particularly those aiming for good for age qualifying times. 

For this reason, we have been working with London Marathon Events who have agreed that times will be amended for those applying for a Good for Age entry at the TCS London Marathon, should the athlete have been affected in gaining a place. 

An equivalent number of seconds will be removed from the finish times of those applying for a Good for Age entry. For example, a 3-hour finish time would be corrected approximately by 70 seconds, a 3½-hour finish time would be corrected by 82 seconds and a 4-hour finish time would be corrected by 94 seconds. This will be done automatically via the London Marathon system when applying.

The AUKCM can confirm there were no issues with their half marathon or 10K course measurements.

At least it wasn't short