Options

Micksta Coaching

Comments

• Options
    HY4:
    Regarding the DS Trainers, to be honest Im not too sure on that on! You could always get the previous year version of the DS Trainer, which would be a lot cheaper than the very latest version. Last years version I found just as comfortable as this years though last years version were heavier weight wise.

Other than that, best thing to do is ask your local running store, they would know better what range of shoes would suit you.

With running shoes, You could always buy some water proof spray, usually get this from all good sports stores, not perfect but will give some protection, unless you go swimming in them! Other than that, then trail shoes are much more water proof than normal trainers so this could be an option if your off road a fair bit.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

Thanks.

I think I've got some waterproof spray somewhere so I'll try that with my trainers I've got at the mo.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    The first speed session was a disaster!

It had been raining all day and was forecast to rain straight after work. But it was really sunny and I hadn't got any sunblock so only did 15 min. That will teach me next I go running straight from work.

On the up side I've done 4.62 miles of constant ploding and compared it with how I was doing this time last year. Last year I was up to about 3.5-4 miles and it was a run/walk. I think it was about July/August when I got up to constantly plodding for that length of time.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Looks like you draw both possitive and negative points from that run.

Try and focus on the possitive side though as that will motivate you more. You can see how much your base aerobic fitness has improved since last august! :)

Speed sessions, we all have disaters with them, myself included! put it down to experience and come out fighting harder next time!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

It was 2 runs! My speed session on Thursday and my long run today. The fact that it was only the lack of sunblock which beat me is a plus because it means that next time I'll be better prepared!

My long run felt so easy and 45-40 secs per mile quicker than last weeks! I didn't expect to see the impact of Thursday's session so quickly.

• Options
    Micksta

Another pb today in the Mull of Kintyre half which was a fab race.

Finished in 1.42.13 which I was pleased with. A full 2 minutes off my last best.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • Options
    Sounds like a good weekends work by this thread!

I ran the Hatfield Broad Oak 10k, and finished in 35:52secs, which for this season is a good result for me!

HY4:
    Thats a big difference in one weeks training, good stuff, sounds like your getting the idea about how to correctly pace your long runs as well, thats good news for your Half marathon later in the year, where your need to use that experience.

JAGGY J:

Well done also, good to see another PB achieved. Soon be under 1:40 for a half at this rate! :)
  • Options
    micksta well run i did 4 hrs 12 mins at isle of wight which im pleased with last week did canterbury half yesterday in 2hrs 1 ish felt really sluggish
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this was a good idea or not!

I went out for a mile run today with a view to using an updated McMillan Running Calculator for my paces.

I did a mile in 9:51. The calculator came up with 13:12 - 14:12 for my long runs. I've been using my 5k time from last year for my long runs which equates to 11:44 - 12:44 and 12:44-13:15 for recovery runs.

Which is a bit of a difference. I guess the confusion is only caused by Saturday's time. So I've come up with the conclusion that providing I go no faster than 12:44 I should be okay. What does everyone else think?
  • Options
    Heres Johnny:

Thats a tough race is the Canturbury half no wonder you felt sluggish, more up than down in that race!

You doing Les Golding 10k on June 11th?

HY4:
    With the longer runs, your better sticking with the slower pace at this time, again its how you feel on the day, 12:44 might be easy one week, or hard another, you just run to how you feel on the longer sessions.

Still good to record the Mcmillian calculater though, then do the same every 4-6 weeks to see if your improving.

• Options
    Hi Micksta I posted on this thread a few weeks back regarding some 10k advice. I did a 10k at the weekend and took nearly a minute and a half off my pb so now down to 36.48. Still not done any speedwork so my 35 minute target is looking promising i hope considering i've only been running 13 months.
  • Options
    GERYI:
    Well done on the PB, and yes I would say your on target for 35mins if you continue the improvement, the speedwork will knock even more time off your best as well!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Just a little update on this week's training.

I took things really really steady for the intervals on Thursday as it was the first of the 5 min intervals and I wasn't too much out of breathe. I also did this on the pavement after the warm up. So think I'll stick to the pavement for the speed session.

On the long runs I'm starting to take a note of the pace I'm running on the pavement and the overall time. I did 1hr 5min & 30 secs the overall pace was 14:33 per mile and the pace for the pavement part, the last 39 min was at 14:19.

I know that I'll be a bit faster on the road, however I was just wondering if anyone has found out what the average percentage difference is between running the same on the road and on grass?
  • Options
    Micksta

How are you - hopefully fit and well.

Had a few weeks off - couldn't get motivated - no reason just a bit bored of running. Dug out my bike and aiming for a duathlon in September!

Anyway doing the GNR in October and thought I would seek some advice for a schedule if you have time to give it some thought. Aiming for as fast as I can within the constraints of 35,000 other runners.

You can see what I've being doing recently on Fetch if you want - my log, albeit a bit pathetic recently is up to date apart from a few bike rides.

Any thoughts appreciated as your advice has always worked for me.
  • Options
    JAGGY J:
    Good to here from you again!
    Probably done you a world of good having those two weeks off, both for motivation and letting your body recovery fully! in fact im doing the same myself from July 16th!

Will be intrested to know how the Duathlon goes as well!

Basically the training will be similer to your marathon program, but with more focus on speed and your long runs do not need to be as long in length, if you can email me the days your free to run and remind me of any sessions your still doing with your group then I will sort you a training program out and give you some suggestions for sessions.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

My training has been going fairly well at the moment and I've got my next race on Sunday.

I'm also starting to look towards sorting out a plan for the spring marathon. I think I'll be using Shades' Marathon Plan. Looking at it I need to start very slowly bringing the Tuesday and Thursday runs up to the level that the marathon plan uses.

I've also got some lighter shoes (NB900) and seem to be getting okay with them.

The only problem I can see with the marathon training is how to motivate myself to get out on the cold dark nights. So I'm planning on contact the local running club to see if I would fit in.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Yes that can be a big problem to get motivated to train in cold and nasty weather, and on darker nights if possible its safer to have someone else training with you.

Most running clubs cater for all abilities too going by my past experience you should fit in very well and find a person who trains at your level.

The bonus being you can sometimes find people near you who can train on your longer runs on sundays, I have found this a great help to my own training in the past.
  • Options
    Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    Dear Micksta.

At the weekend I tried my second half marathon of recent years. My usual race distance is 5 or 10K.

I was looking good for sub-1 hour 20 pace until the last couple of miles where I seemed to 'switch off' and fade a bit.

The same sort of thing happened in the last half marathon I did, back in September.

I ran with a HRM which showed my heart rate at a fairly steady rate of 174 throughout the race, although around the time I started struggling it actually went down to around 165.

Any thoughts on what is happening here? Doesn't sound like general fitness, but possibly energy/hydration related?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I hope that's going to be the case. Because I'm so competitive I'm really concerned about getting sucked into pushing myself more than I should.
  • Options
    Virgil:
    It could be a number of things to be honest. Hydration would cause a drop off in performance, you have to ask yourself was this a hot race and did I take on fluids at the drink stations? During halfs I usually take fluids as early as possible in the race even if I dont really want them.

Could also be due to not having the speed endurance to keep going at a given pace, this comes with doing specific training sessions for longer races, such as 1k reps for example of short rests.

Another thing worth you considering is your weekly mileage and how far your long run is per week, for half marathons you should be running a 14-16mile long run most weeks your not racing.

These are just a few things for you to think about and maybe experiment with for future races.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Yes that can be a problem with club runs, they end up turning into a burn out session.

I guess its a case of just being a very disciplined runner and rising above that kind of thing, unless of course its a hard session and your out to run quick anyway.
  • Options
    Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta. Plenty to think about there.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I thought this race on Sunday was going to be the first in about 12 months without any injury or aches and pains.

But last night a metal padlock was accidently dropped on my foot and I've possibly broken the last joint on my big toe.

The good news is I still have a lot of movement in it and I'm doing everything I can to get the bruising down. I've been for a 30 min walk today with no problems and am planning a little 10 min run tomorrow. If that's okay then I think I'll be okay for the 6k race on Sunday.
  • Options
    HY4:
    How unlucky is that! I hope your foot is ok and does not give you too much trouble.

Only race if it feels ok to run on, no point in pushing things if your going to be in agony as thats a sign further damage is being done.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I've been out for a 10min run this morning and it feels okay.

I've also said to Chris (my partner) that if it gets to bad I'll stop and the next marshall point I get to.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I got round my 6k in 44min 25secs.

I got to 5k at about 35-36 min and then slowed down a wee bit I just found the heat a bit too much.

They weren't planning on having a water station on the 6k route however relented and put one on.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Well done on that, good result considering what happened with your foot, plus the heat, really is a hot day today.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    If they hadn't have put that water station on I would have suffered. I tipped 2 cups of water over my hat then a whole bottle of water over me.

I was so pleased that I decided to take my juice/water mix as well.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Just come back from the running club and all I can say is never again!

It was too unstructured for me. They didn't know how far they were going to run and they were also far to quick.

One of the chaps said that if I come next week he will run round the track with me for 4 laps so I can see what it's like!

I'm sure I really need to do that as my paces range from just under 10 min to 13 min 30 secs.

I feel as though I've come away with the feeling it's better to stick by myself for the time being until my quick run pace is more or less my easy run pace.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Sounds like it was more of a track & field club you attended, is there any other clubs local to you, mainly road running clubs as these cator for different abilities of runners much more than a track club?

Sorry to here you did not have a pleasant experience. the two clubs I train with are very different in the set up, my first claim club is a track & field club which focus is on track training, and do have a road running group but this is very unstructured.

My second claim club is a road running club and we usually train between 5-7miles on the surrounding country lanes on paths in the winter, with this club, if a new runner attends we always keep someone with them, more so if they are female.

It maybe a good exercise for you to run a hard session at the track as this would give you an accurate distance and time from which you can work from, but I would say maybe run by yourself at this stage and look into finding a road running club which is not to far away.