Options

Micksta Coaching

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

I think the things which got to me the most was I wasn't asked if I'd had any injuries current or previous which could affect my running and over the run I had 3-4 different people run with me. Then at the end the people who took me back to the track were a good 400-600m in front of me.

At the start after about 100m I knew the pace was too quick for me and thought about stopping. Then when I was really struggling with my breathing I was basically told to keep going and not to walk. It was only when my knee started playing up (which is something which hasn't happened for ages) that I wasn't made to feel guilty about walking. The runner who I was with said "oh I didn't know you had problems with your knee"!

I have found a really good website which appears to be very accurate and also has off road routes on it and rely heavily on that.

The only other local club meet at 7am on Sundays and as I need to leave a 2hr gap in between breakfast and my run this isn't really an option. Chris usually does overtime on Saturday's so I use this to get me out earlier.

I think you're right that I'll need to keep running by myself as I know that I couldn't run at my tempo pace all the time when I go out on one of their training runs.

• Options
    HY4:
    Very strange attitude by the running club,in fact disgracefull really!

They should always ask a new runner if they have any injury problems or have had injuries in the past, also the route and distance should always be clearly explained to anyone new and also the new runner should be asked what pace they can run at if known and then a sweeper runner assigned to them for the first club run.

Yes I would stick to running your own routes at this time then, last thing you need is to push too hard and then get your injury problems return.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

Because of how my knee was feeling I decided to miss Thursday's session so my long run today has been a bit of a confidence builder. I was really surprised how that run with running club dented my confidence.

I didn't quite do all the session and cut it short by just under 5 min and did just over 1hr 25min which turned out to be 6.8 miles of continuous plodding. So I feel like I'm being to get back on track.
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    Right then after reading a bit of this thread I think advice is just what I need
    At the moment Im hitting about 1.30 for 1/2 marathon and around just sub 40 for 10k my best 10mile was 1.07 on a relatively hilly course
    How do I slice a big chunk off the 1/2 time (about 5 minutes would be nice)
    I did the FLM this year in a disappointing time Im currently hitting 33 miles this week aiming for 40 as a base
    Any suggestions on what I should be doing to improve?
    I hit the track on a thurs 5 miles total and long run 15miles ish saturday cheers
  • Options
    Goldbeetle:

Do you run any type of speed or interval sessions these can greatly improve your speed?

The other method is doing more miles per week to increase your aerobic ability, I think finding an extra 5mins to take your Half Marathon time down to 1h25mins will be easily achievable.

HY4:
    Good to here the run has got you back in the right direction :)
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    M,I do a club track session which is usually intervals the whole thing is about 5k with 1 mile warmup and down
    would an extra speed session help or do I need to run my weekly miles faster
    time is tight working permenant night shifts prevents me from 2 a day running so how many mile do you think i would need to get up to?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

Because of my knee niggle last week I missed the tempo run and with how the weather is at the moment Chris doesn't want me running in temperatures greater than 30C. So it looks like I'll be missing Thursday's session. (I also had to miss yesterday's session as well)

Is it okay to drop the tempo run (about 20 min) into the middle of my long run?
  • Options
    Goldbeetle:

I was running sub 85mins half marathons off around 45-50mpw when I first started running, so your planned increase to 40mpw should give you the endurance needed plus an extra few miles if you can fit them in, but not at the sacrifice of your general well being.

An extra speed session each week would be good as well, you could do this on a regular training route you use and run a set amount of minutes hard then have a jog recovery before repeating.

Just doing this should get you under 1hr30mins in the right race.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Yes you can do this, keep the long run easier than usual though to save energy then push for your planned 20-mins, Use the last part of your long run as a recovery from the tempo session :)

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

I don't think I'll be putting a tempo section intentionally in my LSR again. I don't know if it was the heat this morning or my lack of route planning which got the better of me as I only did 1hr 27 instead of 1hr 35.

I tend to have a rough idea of where I'll be running before I set off but I think that I'll try and over estimate the length of the route and see what happens.
  • Options
    Going to the Dinosaur 10K tomorrow Slicksta Micksta?
  • Options
    HY4:
    It was only a one off tempo session, so there will be no need to do it again.

Its quiet difficult to pick the pace up during a long run and you can easily find yourself running a little short either on distance if your training by time or simply getting tired and having to take a short cut home, the later catergory ive done on a few occastions!

Bem:
    No im not doing the Dinosaur 10k, think the rain from last year put me off the idea! :)

Plus im on a break from training until the 24th July!
  • Options
    Micksta - No 10k this time, I have my first mara on Sept 3rd. Wondering what pace I should be looking at?
  • Options
    STUMP:
    Being your first marathon, then going on the side of caution is the best way to go, ensuring you reach the finish.

If you can jog my memory over what pace you run whilst training or PBs at 5k or 10k, then I can suggest a pace for you to attempt?

• Options
    Micksta: My pb for 10k is 42:47 and 1:40 for the half.

I'm all over the place on my training pace but did a 20 miler in 3:15 recently.

Just got over bit of a heel and knee niggle so am keen not to waste what little time I have left aiming at an unreal pace.
  • Options
    A target of just under 4 hours would seem sensible in my book.

Not sure what Micksta would say though ...
  • Options
    Sounds like a target I'd be proud of.
  • Options
    Stump:
    Im going by both your Half marathon PB and your recent 20-mile run.

I would say aim for 4hrs, this will make pacing easier as I suggest spliting the race into 5-mile segments. If your feeling good at half way which you should reach in 2hrs, then attempt to pick the pace up a little in the 2nd half, then you may go just under 4hrs if you can hang on.

• Options
    Micksta - Cheers; I'll give it a go
  • Options
    Micksta - could you see my motivation trouble thread and respond?? I'd be really grateful!!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

I'm not sure what to make of today's LSR. My 2 previous LSR have been 1hr 25min (6.87 miles), last week's was 1hr 27min (6.67 miles) and today's was 1hr 34min and 6.6 miles!

I feel pleased that I've broken the 1hr 30min barrier I was stuck on but disappointed that the distance has been going down.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Actually I've just realised that last week's LSR had an uphill section in it and this week's had a few more uphill sections in it. So I think I've found the answer to the slowness. Although would it really make that much of a difference?
  • Options
    HY4:
    Yes the extra hills can make a difference, even more so in these warm and humid conditions when its more effort to breath and run at the correct pace.

You can vary rarely make the time up going downhill, so the more hills in the route, the slower the course in most cases.

• Options
    Micksta or anyone who can help please?

I am due to run a marathon on 10th September but am unsure what sort of time I should be going for. I ran FLM in April in 3:29 and my PB for 10k is 42:57 and for HM is 1:33.

I have been training 5 or 6 days per week and did my last 20 mile run on a hot and hilly course in 2:45. I tend to fade badly in the last 6 miles usually due to going off to fast so want to pace this one right.
  • Options
    Caterpillar Girl:

Looks like your in good condition for the race, I would go by the formula I used for my marathon, that is x2 your Half marathon time, plus 10-mins.

So that would be 1hr33mins x2 = 3hr6mins, plus 10mins

so your marathon pace to aim for would be between 3:16- 3:20mins if conditions are good and the course flat.

• Options
    Micksta

Hope you are well. Seems that you have been ramping up your own training and milage - I keep an eye on Fetch.

I've had a reasonably easy summer - think I'm slightly perverted and prefer to run in the cold!

Started building my milage again, no rush but my hips are sore and I feel I swopped my legs with someone who has never run before! No idea what's wrong as I feel fine when I'm not running. When I go out for a run it feels like running in water if that makes sense.

I was on holiday in Tuscany and did a 4 mile race in 28:06 which I was pleased with and did a few training runs after which were fine.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    JAGGY J:

Its good to hear from you again. I had a week off recently and now back to building myself back up, I think ive missed the chance to run FLM in 2007, but maybe a marathon during autumn 2007 is a possibility.

It could be one of a few things regarding your training.

Simply could be the fact you have reduced your mileage over the summer and the body has not adapted to your increase in physical activity again. The legs would feel it, if you had been taking it easy and then started out on the paths and roads again, plus the ground is very very dry at the moment which does not help matters, bit like winter but summer if you know what I mean.

The other thing worth looking at, is how old are your running shoes? if you have had them for sometime maybe the cushioning is just starting to be past its best.

As for training, keep doing what your currently doing, building up the miles again, dont rush back into speedwork at this stage until your legs are sorted out.
  • Options
    Thanks - I'm going to change my shoes as I have done 500 miles.

I had a day off yesterday and today so will see how I feel tomorrow!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Just a very quick update from me!

I'm now up to a continous long run of 1hr 45min (7.82 miles).

Because I've been going a bit too quick in the Thursday speed sessions I've swapped the Tuesday and Thursday runs around to see if it makes my long run easier on Saturday.

I'm really looking forward to my next race. Just over 3 weeks away and surprisingly don't feel concerned that I've not ran a 5k tempo run! By this time last year I'd already ran a 5k tempo run.

I just feel so relaxed about my running at the moment!
  • Options
    JAGGY J:
    Yep if you have run 500miles in them, they are due to be replaced, reckon that may have been your problem.

HY4:
    Thats very good to here, and your injury problems have been a lot better this year, meaning you have got a good solid block of training in, thats making a big difference at the moment.