Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    My god - there's millions of you doing it, E!!!
  • Options
    At the moment, I'm pretty worried about the whole thing really, as my training has been severely disrupted by quite a few things. However, I'm going to get up at 6am tomorrow and do 20 miles. I particularly like the quote about it being better to be undertrained than overtrained - I agree entirely. I think this is the first marathon for a while that I haven't been worried about an injury (touch wood!). I'm going to the states on 7 October on a work/research visit for 3 weeks, so I'll be completing my training while I'm there - hope I won't miss the package from the organisers. The nerves will kick in during the final week I expect. I've had dreams of turning up to the race in my slippers before, but so far not this time.
  • Options
    Had a dream before my first London that I'd forgotten my shorts, and was debating whether I'd get blisters if I ran in jeans.... makes you wonder how the brain's wired hey!?!?!

On that note, I've already started writing lists of things I need to pack.
  • Options
    Good luck with the run tomorrow AndreaB!
  • Options
    before i ran nyc last year i dreamed that i turned up naked at the start so there's obviously some way to go yet in terms of excitement ..

e! wow! if i count correctly there's 6 e's running / walking and 2 more coming and then a whole bunch of american e's...! wow! i'm going with my mum and really excited about it - leaving hubby at home with the 3 and 6 year old.. during half-term. hohum..

Zed - cereality sounds great. saw a review - may well see you there on fri and sat breakfast!

• Options
    andrea b - i agree - good luck! Don't push yourself too hard now! run slow... if you've read the undertrained comment you can see i was not quite where i should be either ..
  • Options
    thanks athlete etc. - we shall see when this magical package arrives ..

having been pulled out of the slough of despond (thanks to all you guys) I haven't quite got nerves / excitement yet but I think that it's around the corner.. still a bit caught up in the logistics of leaving my young family behind at the moment.

But I have had my first dream of not arriving at the marathon on time and not having a race number etc.. so i guess that means the nerves are kicking in!
  • Options
    don't know why that message reappeared - sorry!
  • Options
    Yup, there's a LOT of us. We don't do things by halves! And we're all on the same flight out..... should've chartered the whole plane!
  • Options
    if any of us are on the same flight i guess we won't miss you. are you wearing team outfits? well done though - healthy family!
  • Options
    Team outfits? Sadly yes. Dad's decided on pale blue polo shirts, with something embroidered on them.....
    I'm trying to get out of wearing it on the flight though as its just tooooooo american-tourist if we all turn up matching.
  • Options
    but think of the pleasure you'll give to everyone else on the plane - i hope you're on my flight..
  • Options
    Flight chat - am American Airlines from Heathrow on Thursday before - anyone else? will be the one in broken in Saucony 3D Grid Hurricanes which shall never leave my side...

Dieselgirl: Cereality is AWESOME. I'll be there 8-9am ish on Friday and Saturday for sure if you want to meet (with your Mum too).

10 miler went brill today: and 9 min miles so on track. 8 miles tomorrow with my American friend who is also running....she is sub 4hr though.

Zed
  • Options
    Zed - I'm American Airlines from Manchester on the Thursday .. also traveling in my racing shoes .. Asics Gel Kayanos which are my new religion..

Wonderful about your run today - amazing speed! You must be feeling very happy. When does your taper start?
  • Options
    Oh - and will definitely meet you at Cereality.. It's some way from our hotel though but I guess jetlag will have us waking up early anyway. Where are you staying?
  • Options
    Taper - haven't got to 20 miles yet. That is the plan for Friday as have the day off work. Happy with speed as missed last two long runs at 16 and 18 miles. Putting myself under pressure for Friday but I do like the sound of under rather than over training!!!

my friend I am running with tomorrow who is also running chicago is on your flight from Manchester. She is coming to Cereality on Saturday with me!
  • Options
    I'm Good old BA...lunchtime the Thursday before from Heathrow!!!!

Bring on the complimentary nibbles!!!
  • Options
    I'm over here (there) already ... working in California for 3 months. I just looked up Cereality on the web and may drop by on Friday (20th) morning for breakfast if there is going to be a group there. Plan to head off to the expo after that.

Just tapering myself at the moment, ready for my last long run before Chicago. I'm doing the Lake Tahoe marathon this Saturday as a (high altitude) training run!
  • Options
    Lake Tahoe marathon - wow some views on that I would think. Skied there and it was great.

Cereality at say 9am on the Friday for pre race chat then? Might be there earlier jet lag depending....

Zed
  • Options
    Wow Blue Wombat - another one using a marathon to train for one! impressive!

Zed / BW and anyone else who wants to - how's about breakfast at Cereality on the Friday morning before the expo?

And Zed - don't put yourself under too much pressure for Friday - run slow to run long ok? You know you can do the pace, so now just build up mental strength and confidence that you can go the distance.. And I might recognise your speedy american friend at the check-in if she too will be in trainers ..

BTW - had a great 5 miler this morning. Rest / good food / a small amount of common sense seem to have helped enormously. Am doing 20 on Saturday ..

Oh - other PS - discovered Jelly Belly beans with sports goo inside them - as good as a powerbar apparently and quite delicious and easy to digest (as they are small).. just popped one ever mile..
  • Options
    Well, I've done my 20 miles this morning and so I'm feeling quite smug. It's actually quite nice getting up early and watching the sun come up. There's a lot of wildlife esp. bird activity on the Thames at that time in the morning too and, maybe not entirely surprisingly, loads of runners fitting in a run before work, no doubt. I didn't feel too bad - I find jelly babies help - so I'm now more relaxed about the race.

I'll be in the states from 7 October already, so will fly from Syracuse on the Friday morning, getting in around lunchtime - too late for the Cereality meet, sadly.

BTW, I think this thread is really great - very encouraging all round and lots of different ability people all chatting together.

Great North Run this Sunday - anyone else doing it? I wasn't going to - long way to go for me - but entered the ballot and then got in. I'll use it as a training run (I'm not up to the standard of using marathons as training - respect though) and try and fit in another 20 miler next week.

E - I'd wear the team outfits if I were you - you won't get another chance and it sounds like a great family occasion - worth a bit of embarassment on the plane.
  • Options
    Well done on the 20-miler Andrea. Great stuff!

If my achilles lets me, I'll be doing mine on Sunday. I'm actually looking forward to it...that must be proof that I've been undertraining rather than overtraining! :)
  • Options
    AndreaB: impressive 20 miles before work. What time did you start?!

I have had some lovely morning runs as the sun just came up only now the sun isn't up as I start my run at 6am and last night as I finished at 7:30pm it was dark!

When do clocks change? Oh it's last weekend in October does that mean it happens in Chicago the night of the marathon?!?!!? An extra hour in bed....

Dieselgirl: Cereality Friday before Expo sounds a great plan

Zed
  • Options
    Andrea I can relate to the run along the Thames in the morning especially from Putney back to Richmond it is a great run. I entered the ballot for the GNR but got rejected :(
    I fly out on the Wednesday from Dublin as had to get a one way ticket to Chicago due to the silly idea I have in my head of doing NY as well two weeks later and the cheapest option by far was Aer Lingus. DiselGirl I will be up for Cereality on the Friday.
    Did a long 22 mile run on Monday night which went very well managed a pace of 6:55 and considering it was pouring down heavily for the last 6 miles seem like everything is on track.
  • Options
    We're on the 9.30 ish BA flight out of Heathrow on Thursday. Will try and catch up with you all at cereality - you'll recognise me.... I'll be in a pale blue polo shirt!
  • Options
    I fly out from Heathrow on Friday morning.

Clocks go back the weekend after Chicago, unless it's different in the States?
  • Options
    thanks Champagne and Zed. I thought I might have a lunchtime nap (working at home today, wouldn't have attempted the run otherwise), but I'm ok so far. My aim was to get up at 5.45 and be out by 6. In reality, I was up at 6.15 and out at around 6.40. Big 5 Dreamer - yes, it's a great place to train - I join it at Hammersmith bridge and go as far west as I need, then back again. There are usually a load of herons just beyond Kew bridge, but they weren't there this morning. I saw the green parakeets though - they're always around.
  • Options
    Hi guys

Wow - sounds like everyone's having a really good time training. Well done all!!

I'm flying from Heathrow on Friday with BA. Don't know which flight (9.35, 12.55 or 16.05) as it's been done on some group booking with my old employer who are taking about a dozen people out.

Jimbob and Champagne - at least we will enjoy free food and drink on the flight, unlike the other lot on AA!!

I've done three 20 milers (all very slow), but am hoping to squeeze a final one in this weekend. It depends how good I am at golf though - I have a tournament starting on Friday morning in Norfolk, and it goes through to Sunday afternoon if we play well and keep winning! So, I won't be too bothered if we lose on, say, Saturday, as it means I can get out on Sunday and run long one last time.

B5D / Andrea: I also run round the Thames path when I can. Last year I did New York marathon training long runs around to Richmond along the path from Putney. This year, however, I've moved onto Richmond Park for the hills. I live in Balham, and rather conveniently the run to RP (Roehampton gate), one lap of the park (7.2m) and back home is just over 20 miles.

And finally..... (thank god I hear you gasp!). I have just taken delivery of two pairs of trainers from joejogger.co.uk. The range is only limited, but they stock the most popular models and it is the cheapest prices I have ever seen. I got DS Trainers (£60) and Kayanos (£75), which are models I have been training in all year for FLM and Chicago. Hopefully the new DS Trainers can be broken in nicely in time.

As you can tell, I'm a bit bored at work today. Keep well all

Paul
  • Options
    Hi guys - lots of activity - on the boards and outside today - well done Andrea B - respect yourself! Good luck in the great norht run but take it easy .. I felt completely on my own running this morning but clearly I wasn't. Run part of my run through woods on the farm where i live and it's so dark there at 6 that I had to use my headlight for the first time this year. This is when I know marathon madness is setting in - when I like a cretinous running miner at 6am ... screaming at the occasional small wild animals running away from my beam.

So cereality is a date - we runners know how to live right? It does look pretty cool on the website though. Apart from E we might need some secret handshake or signal though .. or will the madness / nerves set us apart from everyone anyway?

Big 5 Dreamer - pretty amazing pace you got going there.. Keep it up! And Paul - that's an amazing deal on the shoes - I won't tell you what I paid ..

OK guys - off for an early night after a baked potato with salad and lovely water to drink. I am living the dream.

Finally - yes I really need to get off this computer - Andrea B said it - this is a great thread with some amazingly supportive people. Pretty mixed ability but so friendly and helpful - it's a great help in training I find.
  • Options
    Dieselgirl, Zed, E;-) [plus all the other E's?], and anyone else around, I hope to meet you at Cereality that Friday morning. Looking forward to the toppings already.

Amazing 20miler there Andrea ... I would be wiped out for the whole day at work if I started the day like that. I'm enjoying a semi-taper myself this week, then start tapering in earnest next week.

Clocks go back the week after Chicago, so no extra hour in bed for us I'm afraid. It'll be an early start that Sunday. Suspect I shan't be sleeping much in any case.