Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    TAF etc. - it sounds like you're doing really well on your schedule - your 20 miler went well, no injuries, no major pain - so you're ready and prepared. my advice - for what it's worth - don't let yourself get freaked out by not getting all the training in and overdo it. Don't skip sleep, rest and healthy food for the sake of getting in the miles. Better to arrive at the start slightly undertrained (which I really don't think you are) than overtrained and worn out. Get back on the full schedule when things ease off a bit.. Try not to skip the long runs and take it easy on yourself.
  • Options
    .... I think I'm getting a cold....... :-(
  • Options
    i live in fear of that. daily cocktail of vitamin c, zinc, multivitamin, glucosamine, and sambucol.. last year before nyc i flew the whole way sitting on my hands so i wouldn't touch my face and catch germs on the plane .. my husband suggested i wear a wacko jacko style face mask and i didn't realise he was making fun of me but thought it was a good idea. point is - we all lose the plot at this stage. so much goes into it the preparation .. relax. if you have a cold now take a break, have a rest, sleep lots, eat well and you'll be right as rain in 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Did I say a sub 3 hour may be possible - must have been hallucinating after yesterdays shambles!

I finished 22 miles in a bad way and hope it was down to the hard run the day before. It's put me right off as it brought back that awful experience of just how hard running a marathon can be. I'd better shut up now before my negativity gets infectious.
  • Options
    I am off to buey echinacea to stop getting anything to make me ill! Don't post on the forum if you are infectious!!!

Think we all need to relax - we can do it. Positive vibes. Am off for massage....

Zed
  • Options
    I shan't tell you all that I get the feeling I'm coming down with flu then :-(

Cheers for the encouragement DG - you're right. I will hope to get as much sleep in as poss for the fortnight without missing sunday LSRs.
  • Options
    Sounds like everyone's doing good training. I haven't been able to get out much for a week, due to moving house and starting a new job - I knew this was going to happen, but I'm trying to feel relaxed about it. Should be able to get back to normal soon.

Andy - thanks for organising the Friday night. Hope I've still got a place at the table despite being off the forum for a few days.

Keep training everyone,

Andrea.
  • Options
    My daily dose includes echinacea, glucosamine sulphate, cod liver oil, evening primrose oil, selenium, omega 3 and a daily vitamin supplement - they don't seem to make me any faster but seem to ward off any illness.

Looking on the bright side, at least if you're feeling unwell at the moment it isn't the week before the race.

Andrea - your place is booked and I'll forward my mobile no to all interested parties nearer the time (just in case my flight is delayed).
  • Options
    Hypochondria always sets in as the race approaches! Also I start to feel niggles which I haven't felt before, but it's only because you are constantly thinking about it. I've always thought that if you eat a balanced diet you should get everything you need, but I guess some supplements might help recovery, joints etc.

Had a hard weekend's training - was meant to do a race on Saturday but there wasn't one on nearby, so I did 10K flat out on my own! It probably wasn't exactly 10K but was close I think and I more or less equalled my PB, which gives me confidence that I would beat it with people to race. Then I did 18 miles on Sunday not too fast, but quicker towards the end. Enjoying a rest day today before another hard week this week, with a 20M off road "race" on Sunday which I will do as a training run.
  • Options
    Coming back from injury, I did my 'long run' yesterday.... 12k in 1 hour!

If all goes to plan, I should get some real long runs in before the big day.
  • Options
    All this talk of six weeks to go is making me panic - where has the summer gone and all the weeks of hard training I was going to do??

Had a shocker yesterday, and managed only 12 miles and felt wiped out, just shows how quickly things change, last week felt great after good half marathon result and now in panic.
    Will get back on track this week as back at home again and will catch up on my much needed sleep.

Well done to everyone on their long runs and hope you all stay free bug free.

• Options
    You'll be fine Lofters - get some nice sllloooowwwwww long runs in over the next two or three weeks and you'll be set.

• Options
    I lost most of last week due to food poisoning after coming back from the Budapest half marathon. I had planned on last week being an easy recovery week so I guess feeling like crap all week made me take it easy, 3 hard weeks of training to go. PAdams sounds like your in very good form.
  • Options
    I'm feeling like a week of recovery is really what I need too. I did FLM this year and remember it was at this pointI felt completely wiped out with trying to fit in all this training around a normal life (full-time work, Adult Ed Course, washing, ironing, etc!)

Still, I've just booked my car for the Tuesday after to head out to the outlet malls.... a marathon shopping expedition is planned! Hoorah! Not sure whether I'm more excited about the shopping or the marathon.
    Answers on a postcard please!!!
  • Options
    B5D - I think I should be in good form given how the training has been going, but won't really know until Sept 24 when I am doing a 10M race. Even if that goes well you still never know about the full distance until you do it.

I like doing three hard weeks and then one easy week, so you should be fine having had a recovery week. Apparently you need the recovery to let the training kick in anyway, so you might find you are quicker when you get back into it.
  • Options
    This week has just got worse, I am sitting here nearly in tears as it looks as if I cannot go to Chicago.

Quick background, I am mature student about to start my final year. I have just downloaded the lecture programme and for Monday 23 October there are group literature review presentations which count for 40% of our final mark in that subject.
    Even if I fly back on Sunday night I would not be back in time to Edinburgh for 9am Monday morning, I just cannot believe it. why do they have to be that day?

I know I had a bad run on Sunday but knew I could do it and was so determined to break 4 hours.

I cannot see a way around it and will have to enter again next year, so gutted and upset.
    Right better go to bed before I start sobbing, will keep you posted but it doesn't look good.

Hope training is going okay for everyone.

• Options
    Dear Lofters, I felt awful when I read your e-mail. It sounds obvious but is there anything that can be done? Can you get in touch with your professor / lecturer and see what can be done? Is there any way you could do it earlier, or later? A few days either way would make all the difference? Beg, etc. YOu've put so much hard work into all this. Honestly - write heartfelt e-mails and letters, phone people etc.. Use up every favour in the book and a few beyond. There's got to be a plan B - what if someone were sick on that day?

Of course you're on track for a really good run - a bad 12 miles on Sunday means nothing. I so often find I can do something like a good 18 miler and then find 5 miles a few days later almost impossible to get through. It's normal.

Finally - if you really can't get round it there is always next year. But still, try and find a marathon you can do in the next months or so - you're well trained and, especially if Chicago can't work out, need an outlet for it all. Running a good race somewhere else would at least make you feel the training was worthwhile. Which it is.

BTW - it's pretty impressive that you're able to train for a marathon and do a full-time degree - I take my hat off to you. Regardless of anything, that takes discipline and determination and it's really admirable. Give yourself some well deserved credit..
  • Options
    Lofters - on dieselgirls note we'll all write to your professors to ask them to allow you to start a day later. Surely a presentation can be delayed as months of preparation have gone into the marathon. good point to perhaps do it before the marathon too....

Don't give up hope yet - I am at home with a cold today which I feel slightly guilty about but determined not to let training slip and work has taken 2nd place to my sub 4hrs 30 min 2nd marathon attempt.

Keep us updated...we're routing for ya....

Zed
  • Options
    Seriously Lofters, Talk to your people at the University, and see if you can get the date changed due to exceptional circumstances. It has to be worth at least asking. If you have booked flights etc, before they announced the presentation date, then it is only reasonable for them to allow you some leeway, especially, as ZED pointed out, given the amount of time and preperation that goes into passing a degree.

At least ask, and let us know how you get along.

Haven't been here in a while, and I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering with a cold!!!
    Doing my frst ever triathlon this weekend, so have been out and purchased some super tight shorts for the event. Why not come along to Wimborne this weekend and point and laugh at me as I try to swim, cyclae and finally run myself into the ground!!!
    Very nervous...just hope i get round in one piece!

Kepp well all &

Have a nice day

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks Dieselgirl, Zed and Jim.

For the last two years the Monday and Tuesday of that week in October have been classed as reading days with no lectures - hence the reason I thought I would be okay and entered Chicago. Just my luck they have changed it this year.

It is a group prsentation so I would be mucking up the others in the group which is not fair on them.

In the grand scheme of things it is not the end of the world, but shows how much you want something when it is taken away from you.

Will keep you posted.

Summer has left Edinburgh this morning it has been chucking it down day although strangely I quite enjoy running in the rain!

Lofters
  • Options
    Top of the page - that's a first!!
  • Options
    Gutted to hear about your problem, Lofters.

Nothing to add to what everyone else has said - best of luck

Thankfully my flu seems to be on its way out. Crazy hours at work mean that I won't be able to run until weekend, but guess a rest week is needed anyway
  • Options
    Lofters, I really would recommend talking to the Prof about it. You never know, (s)he may be a runner themselves, or at least sympathetic to the idea of doing a marathon. There is nothing to lose. You might find that they would be able to re-schedule fairly easily. I speak from experience.

I've not posted on here for many months, but slowly have been doing something vaguely resembling training. I'm hoping for around 3:50 at Chicago, but have another marathon that I am running on 30th September and think I may be tired out by October 22nd.

Still haven't sorted accommodation ... looks like it may be a room at the airport.
  • Options
    Nice bog rooms they have at the airport too, BW! ;-)
  • Options
    Lofters - really feel for your predicament. Have you spoken to the others in your group to see if it would affect them? Would be great to have you in Chicago with us.
    My sister-in-law is also running and has just found out that the two weeks before are going to be spent jetting between meetings in Tokyo & Sydney (really not fair as my sister lives in Sydney & I want to go & visit!). Not the best preparation for her first marathon, but my sister is taking her out on some training runs out there......!
    My cold has fizzled out - I just sound like Barry White, but had a good steady 8 miler yesterday in the sunshine.
  • Options
    E:-) glad you are better. I am Taking a 2nd day off work to get rid of cold. Still hoping to do 16 miler on Sunday - a race up north so don't want to not run.

Funny, cos considering running just cos the schedule says so but I guess missing one run today doesn't mean i go back too much...? Tell me I am doing the right thing....?!
  • Options
    If you're ill it's stupid to run, Zed.

I'm on my fifth day in a row without running (first time this year!) and it's driving me nuts, but it's got to be for the best
  • Options
    I mean it would be stupid to run today! GO for it on Sunday if you're feeling near enough 100% again
  • Options
    There are some days when I think it's stupid to run........
  • Options
    Zed - you are doing the right thing, hope you are feeling better and can go to the race on Sunday.

PB - are you crawling the walls not being able to go out running?