Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    A marathon to prepare for a marathon. It's unconventional, but hey, if it works...??!?!? Got rugby, curry & beer tonight after a day at work in heels. Perfect preparation for Windsor Half Marathon tomorrow.
    I guess it'll be kill-or-cure.
    My chip's not arrived yet :-( maybe they'll send me a healthy jacket spud instead!!!! ... or one of those BEAUTIFUL LBCM Waterproofs!
  • Options
    thank god it's beer for you E:) - it's the least you can do after a day of rugby in heels.. As for you blue wombat - what can i say? that's very serious preparation. very.

i got my chips a while ago actually - must have been about 4/5 weeks ago? but maybe you didn't order one? if you're concerned e-mail them at ccusa_logochips@championchip.com..

happy carboloading in whatever form tonight all!
  • Options
    Not posted on the thread before, so, 'hello!' :) but going back to Chicago next month after getting a PB there last year.

Unfortunately I am nothing like as fit now as then due to disrupted training, but I am actually looking forward to just savouring the event and enjoying the atmosphere (and what a great city too)

Good luck to everyone, listen out for the roar going into Chinatown ;)

Ben
  • Options
    late saturday night - in fact sunday morning. Only 1 drink at my flat warming - roll on the 18 miles tomorrow (afternoon now to allow recovery of late night!)

Did you have to order a chip timer? don't we pick those up at the expo?

Benjamin JP: welcome....i am hoping for a PB too but mainly to finish faster than last marathon...

Zed
  • Options
    looking back at the race instructions I think that those of us who didn't order a personal championchip will pick one up at the expo in our race packet.
  • Options
    My first long run today since a long fell race early August (been injured since).

I had a free entry to my local half marathon, so I ran the 4 miles to the start, did the half marathon (in a pretty mediocre time) and then ran a mile to the nearest bus-stop. It's going down as an 18-miler!

Hope everyone else's long runs went well today.
  • Options
    Champagne - hope you didn't wait long for the bus!

I am about to head out for an 18 miler but it is POURING here in Edinburgh so I might do 3x6mile different loops around my neighbourhood so as to not bother carrying liquid (I have gatorade powder drink found at local running shop yesterday) and a power gel to try out at mile 10 as recommended on the thread....

Zed
  • Options
    Zed - only 10 minutes! :) I was glad to be able to have a sit down.

Testing the food out sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    No long run for me today, did a 10M race and surprised myself by setting a 45s PB (56:22) and winning the race! Wasn't expecting that at all as I had not really tapered and had been feeling a bit tired this week. Shows the marathon training pays off on the shorter races.

Last hard week next week - looking forward to the taper and the race.
  • Options
    Oh no: was 4 miles into my 18miler and had to stop (upset stomach - won't go into the details)....managed to get home after 30 min walk/stop at local swimming pool...and then running 10min miles last 2 miles home.

Now question is: shall I run 18 miles tomorrow and then attempt 20 next saturday or monday (I am signed up with friends to run Inverness 10k so can't run sunday). Your thoughts and advice welcome...

Also hoping the few sips of Gatorade mix wasn't what upset the stomach either?! Think it was more the crap food last night at my flat warming. Feeling better now...

Padams: won a race! Wow - well done mate ;_)

Zed
  • Options
    Zed - missed my 12 miler today as well. was so late in bed and up so early I was exhausted.. So I'm shifting my 12 miler to tomorrow which may be unwise as it's my hardest week this week but I think it's better than running when you're shattered / sick.. If you feel fine tomorrow go for it - if you're rested etc. Otherwise, I think general advice is not to make up skipped runs but just carry on. Missing one day's running is not going to make or break it. Especially if you're doing 20M next week. Hal the god Higdon says it's better to arrive at the start undertrained than overtrained - you've got to keep some juice in your box!

Padams - you're amazing! well done! Really incredible effort!
  • Options
    Padams - well done and watch out for catching anything this week as you're immune system may be susceptible following such an effort. It happened to me after I managed to win a 10k earlier in the year and I haven't run well since. I was on such a confidence boost afterwards I overdid the training for a week.

As for my current training I've now picked up a foot injury and had to back off completely. So that I can take pressure off myself I've decided to treat Chicago as a training run and won't attempt to race at all. Instead I'll have a beer or two and concentrate on London, having just committed and paid for my 2007 entry.

Have a good last weeks training everybody.
  • Options
    dieselgirl: thanks for the advice. Will perhaps do say 10 miles tomorrow and then go for 20 later in the week.

Feeling fine now after sensible veggie pasta dinner.

Zed
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Pleased to say things are a bit more back on track for me after a couple of poor weeks due to work and training. Managed to get my third 20 miler in very early on Saturday morning. Ended up being 8 min/mile pace and felt really easy. The only slight concern is that I used my lightweight trainers for the first time on a long run, and while they felt great during the run itself, the top of my foot/outside of ankle feels really sore now. I plan to use these shoes (this model at least - a new pair is on its way) for the marathon, so a bit concerned whether this is the right thing to do.

Sounds like everyone's training is going well. Good luck with the last couple of weeks all!
  • Options
    On the food front - I can strongly advise NOT having Onion Bhaji, followed by Chicken Shahlik, and half portions of Pilau Rice & Plain nan the night before a Half Marathon......Oh, and 4 pints of lager (ever the lady, me!)
    Did Windsor Half yesterday - very hilly and HOT! And Hungover.
    Still, finished in 2hrs, 0 mins and 27seconds. Not a PB, but not far off and it was beautiful. My legs really ache today from saturday's lack of carbs (had salad for lunch).
    Glad everyone had good runs - hubby has developed a sore hip after yesterday so is backing off the training this week.
    Hal's right - we've done so much that things are bound to start going 'POP' so if you're not 100%, don't push it now, save yourself for 4 week's time.
    Erm, actually, its less than that now! :-)
  • Options
    -- just had a terrible 12 miler. Terrible not because of any pain (thankfully) just seem to have run out of juice / motivation. Really depressing. Found it really hard to keep going though no problems physically.. Just plodded for 10.5 miles and then gave up. Horrible! I hate myself. And this at the beginning of the hardest week yet in my training schedule. Anyone got any tips on motivation?

I'm thinking diet's got to start being a major priority and I guess sleep as well. Focus completely on getting ready physically and hoping the mind will follow. Any more advice?

I feel like a slow fraud even subscribing to this thread today ..
  • Options
    RUBBISH! You're not a slow fraud at all dieselgirl! Stick with it - this is the body saying 'Actually, getting a bit low on energy, so can I have more food and rest please. Thank You!'.
    And you're not alone.
    I've been mentoring my sister-in-law through the training (not that I'm expert, I've just done more marathons than her) and we're ALL getting fed up with plodding around.
    You'll be fine - eat some carbs & protein, drink plenty, put your feet up today and take tomorrow off. You'll be fine. Really!
  • Options
    Thank you! thank you thank you. i always run alone, in laps round our farm and most of the time this is okay but sometimes i think running alone makes it hard when the going gets tough.

great to hear i'm not the only one - i will take your advice..
  • Options
    Dieselgirl - just think, you only have to do this last week of hard training and then you get some rest, that's what's keeping me going. And within that week there's probably only one or two runs which could be hard. Like E says, you are not alone, I think everyone feels like this occasionally, especially if you do all of your running alone. Just think though, most people can't even run a couple of miles, and you're saying you "hate yourself" because you ran "only" 10.5 miles!

Make sure you get at least 7 hours sleep a night if possible, I think that is really important. I think I remember hearing Paula Radcliffe makes sure she gets something like 9 or 10 hours sleep (although she trains a bit more than us!).
  • Options
    .... Mmmmmmmm Sllleeeeeeeeeeeepppppp!
  • Options
    Dieselgirl - I attempted a 20 miler last weekend and had to give up after 10 miles. It happens. Got some good rest last week then breezed Saturday's 20 miler. Sounds like you need to take it a bit easy
    :-)
  • Options
    thanks guys - pretty amazing support from y'all.. I really appreciate it. and i think you're all right as well - it happens to everyone and I suppose the training really CAN be quite hard. I'm feeling better about this week and as one of you said, the taper begins next Monday. Rest and good food between now and the marathon and maybe now's the time to get on the wagon for the next 3 and half weeks. It'll make that beer afterwards taste all the sweeter..

Thank you all - I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Hi Dieselgirl
    Feeling tired and losing motivation happens to all of us and a few days rest can really recharge the batteries. A few weeks ago I had raced 4 weeks in a row and then it all caught up with me and I had a bad week were I had to cut back and my longest run for the week was 14miles and that was a real struggle when I have been regularly clocking 18-20mile runs on a weekly basis over the last few months feeling so empty was very de-motivating. But after a few days rest and taking it easy for the rest of that week I have come back feeling very strong in the last 2 weeks and feel that my fitness and endurance have gone up another level.

PAdams well done on your 10M time and victory sounds like you are well on target for a sub 2:45.

• Options
    Thanks Big 5 Dreamer - thanks all. You've helped enormously.

To change the topic - has anyone received anything (other than chips) from the organisers? Last year in NYC you got quite a lot of bumph but I don't know whether it works the same with Chicago? And also - just to help me visualise the start and everything - is there a sort of enormous start camp where everyone mills about before the race? Presumably only those entered into the race?

Any info welcome..
  • Options
    dieselgirl - I haven't received anything except the confirmation slip, and if I remember correctly from last year, didn't get much before the expo except maybe a bit more paperwork saying where you need to go etc. Basically if you turn up at the expo on the Friday or Saturday with your confirmation slip and ID you will get your chip, number and goodie bag no probs.

The start and finish are in a big park (Grant Park) with a very wide road down the middle (three lanes each way I think). Anyone can mill around the park before the race, you will only have to leave those not running when you go onto the road to get ready for the start. The park was not too congested before the start (plenty of space to go for a jog etc.) but from about 3:30 finish time onwards, the meeting area by the finish was really busy.

Hope the training goes well this week.
  • Options
    According to the confirmation slip you "will receive your Official Confirmation Brochure with complete details before the race in October. How exciting...

For about a month before FLM I was so excited/nervous about it. This hasn't kicked in for me yet. What's everyone else experiencing?
  • Options
    thanks athlete etc. - we shall see when this magical package arrives ..

having been pulled out of the slough of despond (thanks to all you guys) I haven't quite got nerves / excitement yet but I think that it's around the corner.. still a bit caught up in the logistics of leaving my young family behind at the moment.

But I have had my first dream of not arriving at the marathon on time and not having a race number etc.. so i guess that means the nerves are kicking in!
  • Options
    Ha ha! I haven't had one of those dreams yet, but sure it'll come!

It's Paul, by the way!
  • Options
    Dieselgirl/Paul: out for 10 miles this morning so re-inspired. And getting myself psyched for 20 miles on Friday - taken the day off work.

Excited that I am off on holiday in less than 3 weeks - yikes it's soon.

Am looking forward to visiting Cereality this breakfast food place I discovered on my last trip to Chicago...going to be there friday and saturday morning before the race for sure!!

Zed
  • Options
    I'm really excited about seeing both my cousins & their kids again, and at the moment I'm getting fed up with the planning - My mum, dad & father-in-law are walking the marathon (aiming for 6hrs 10mins), while myself, husband and sister-in-law are running. mother-in-law and brother-in-law coming too, and you'd think we were on a full military operation with the planning the 'Olds' are doing.
    I shouldn't complain, but its all a bit much. Doesn't help that my mum thinks that 18 miles is far too long to run in training, and I'm burning myself out and shouldn't I take some time off and it doesn't matter all that much anyway......... AAAAAAAARGH!!
    Looking forward to the trip to the Outlet Mall on Tuesday after!