Options

Blackmore Vale Half-Marathon

If your a first timer to the BVHM then I will explain - the last mile consists of running up a very steep incline to the finish. I suggest you get in some hill work before this one as it undulates continuous through beautiful countryside.

A very rewarding and well run affair

Last year I raced it - this year it is a stepping stone to the Taunton Marathon so I should be less competitive!!!!

Comments

• Options
    What's the rest of the course like in terms of where thr tougher sections are etc?
  • Options
    Im planning this one as a pre-marathon training session. It will be my first half-marathon.

Im not running for time im just going to get round it. Although I did 10 miles yesterday and could have kept going so im pretty cinfident I will be ok. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    It starts by going down the big hill, then climbs back to Holwell. There is a fairly flat section until the 5 mile fun run turns off at about 3.5 miles (Sandhills), then enters an undulating section (Glandvilles Wooton)

From about 6 to 10 is fairly flat, then at King's Stag (10 miles) you start a long climb up Packer's Hill (no too steep but about a mile of it). Then you rejoin the outbound course at Holwell, drop down a hill to the bottom of the big climb and then up you go to the finish.

See map at http://www.bvlions.co.uk/pdf%20files/BV%20Lions%20Course%20Map%202.pdf
  • Options
    is this gonna be worth a 300 mile round trip
  • Options
    Yeah im looking forward to it.

How long can you leave it before you send entry money? Or will there be entries on the day?

Only im really strapped for cash until im paid but then that only leaves 5 days before the race to pay...........
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    EOD are usual. Get there early though, its usually heaving.

You could try emailing the organiser.
  • Options
    I e-mailed the organiser and they said its better to get in there before (not his exact words). Im sure I can dig up a tenner from somewhere.

Im getting excited now. My first half marathon. I hope its not raining!!
  • Options
    The organiser tells me there are now 380 entrants with a limit of 450 runners. Suggest you get your entries in asap.
  • Options
    hey everyone, would just like to add my name to the Runners World team turning up at this one!

Let's see if we can get this forum going a bit, as in previous races i've run, they can be great for moral support and getting to know a few names/faces to look out for on the day. so anyone who's reading this who's doing their first race, or just never normally posts, just scribble something down...

i'm running this for the first time, and it just about fits in with the RW schedule i'm following for the FLM. have only done a couple of half marathons before, so this should be a good measure of where i'm at in terms of training. am hoping to do it in about 1hr 50ish, so nothing *too* speedy, but quick enough for my liking. mind you, with all this talk of hills at the finish, and throughout for that matter, might not hit that target. think i'll go for a drive around the course this weekend to see how bad it's going to be!

anyways, hope to hear a few other stories from other runners soon.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    YL: we should be finishing at about the same time. Keep and eye out for a hairy male in a Gillingham Trotters top (white with green/yellow bands).
  • Options
    First time running this one for me too! I'd be pleased with a time of <2hours given the hills
  • Options
    hi everyone; went for a drive (!) today around the course to have a look at what awaits; i now see what Mak's Friend means in his description about this fabled hill at the start/finish; think that it will be pretty unforgiving on the legs given it starts getting nasty when you've already done 12 miles.
    i'd also add that the hill up after crossing the river at about mile 2 or so was pretty brutal, albeit not too long. i mean, i even had to change down a gear ;-)
    other than that it looks a good test, with some nice climbs and descents dotted around fairly evenly. let's hope the weather is similar to today as well.

Cut/paste or add your name to the following list to make up our predicted times:

yorkshire lad, entry #38, ~1hr 50
    Mak's Friend, ~1hr 50
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1
    Quickstepper
    ChristchurchJon
  • Options
    hmm, no point running at my age if I can't be confident. Will stick my PB of 78.36 down even though this will be a tougher course.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Aim high CJ! At least there are no roundabouts on this course.
  • Options
    Organiser passed on message that there are now 440 entrants out of 500 maximum so there will be very few places left on the day. Better to get your entries in now, rather than be disappointed.
  • Options
    Hi all. Im not liking the sound of the hill at the end!! Im hoping to do it in 2 hours but my training is going badly this week. Im really struggling I may take a break on fri and sat so im well rested for the big event. This is my first ever half marathon and I dont want to blow it!!

Look out for me I will be in grey 3/4 length trousers and a corn flower blue jumper looking cold!!

Mak's Friend, ~1hr 50
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1, <2hrs
    Quickstepper
    ChristchurchJon
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Revised time, because of tender hamstring

Mak's Friend, <2hrs
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1, <2hrs
    Quickstepper
    ChristchurchJon
  • Options
    Kinda looking forward to this one ,although trying not to think too much about that last hill !
    Mak's Friend, <2hrs
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1, <2hrs
    Quickstepper
    ChristchurchJon
    CC <2hrs
  • Options
    Hello you lovely lot

This will only be my second half so I'm aiming for a pb but this hill talk is scary. Just how steep is the 'steep incline'. I'm coming from Fareham area so too far for a test drive. Does anybody out there have any hills to compare with i.e. Bishops Waltham Hampton Hill or Titchfield Hill? (mental preparation is everything for me!) I can do hills, but steep hills might be a whole new ball game!

Mak's Friend, <2hrs
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1, <2hrs
    Quickstepper
    ChristchurchJon
    CC <2hrs
    Little Lou, 2 hrs on the nose or <

• Options
    hi Little Lou.I found it tough last year only because I wasn't expecting it and I couldn't see the finish line ( which is just past the hill) like you say its all a mental thing.Its a good race,friendly and pretty scenery,thats why I'm coming back for more this year.
  • Options
    All this talk of hills - its just a long undulation!!!
  • Options
    Hi all

Its only 3 days away now. What time is everyone getting there?
  • Options
    i'm aiming to get there for 10.15 ish. won 't want to be hanging about waiting if it's this cold!!
  • Options
    Little Lou

The only really step bit is the last half mile, plus a quarter mile at 11 miles and a very short 100m (1:4) at start of 2nd mile. The rest is undulating but this isn't a PB course (there again my PB is on this course but I have never run a flat half) so treat it with due respect or you'll be blowing out of an orifice far too early.

Take in the scenery for the first 6 miles, do not whizz down the 1st mile (use it as a warm-up to get into a comfortable pace).

Don't leave arriving too late - first you have to fight for your number and second there are only two sitters in the wooden toilet shack over the road. The worst bit will be freezing whilst waiting in the toilet queue before the race - far worse than any hill.

And good luck...

Mak's Friend, <2hrs
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1, <2hrs
    Quickstepper 1:24:08 to beat but unlikely
    ChristchurchJon
    CC <2hrs
    Little Lou, 2 hrs on the nose or <
  • Options
    Ok I get the picture, thank you so much for your tips. I'm entering on the day so I imagine i'll have to get there at the crack of 10 at the latest?

Thank you also for toilet tip. I will need at least twenty stops between Southampton and... and... where is it again? Thank God I'm getting a lift.
  • Options
    Ooooh crikey. I've just entered online for fear of backing out on the day. Will be there by 10. Going to check the weather forecast now. Then plan my wardrobe. Then panic...
  • Options
    hey

thanks Quickstepper for the advice; great to read your tips on pacing yourself. think you're quite some way the best of all of us on here if you've done 1hr 24 on this course!! shudder to think how speedy you'd be on an "easy" half...

Little Lou-- you're brave, entering on the day after driving a fair distance after all that's been written about how full it's going to be!! good luck!

otherwise, it's all systems go for me now. did my last prep run tonight, and am having two clear days before the race. see you all Sunday!
  • Options
    little lou -- weird we were writing at the same time! glad you'll definitely be in after all!
  • Options
    Yes, organiser just emailed me to say almost full now. 480 in so far - i thought the limit was 450? Just done it online.

Just out of interest, does anyone know roughly what the slowest time last year was? I know I'll be near the back if i manage 2hrs but it would be nice to know that there would be at least a few behind me...