Options

Blackmore Vale Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry I Ran 2:02 last year Little Lou and there were plenty behind me .
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    The last mile climbs about 100 feet.

A couple of our club members were in at about 2:20, so anyone taking about 2:00 will be doing OK
  • Options
    Fantastic - you are all such a great source of information and tips. i'm actually beginning to look forward to this now.

Right, now could someone tell me what colour top to wear? It'll need to blend in with the tartan hot water bottle I think I may need.

See you all Sunday - I'll be the one looking very much in the know with No. 480 stuck to my chest.

• Options
    Hiya everyone

Looking forward to sunday. I was going to go out at lunchtime for a quick jog around but its far to cold and the rest will prepare me better. So im going for a walk instead.

Im looking forward to sunday now it should be really good. I hope to meet a few of you there.

Thanks for the tips I will certainly take it easy on the first mile and get into a nice pace before I pick up a bit of speed.

See you all at 10.
  • Options
    Glad to be of help...

..I forgot to tell you about the start - 480 people charging 50m before going through a gate 10 ft wide - however there are 13 miles after this point so be on the defensive if you know what I mean.

It is currently freezing in this part of the country - I've never raced in a woolly hat before?!
  • Options
    Hi there

I'm travelling from Upton in Poole for the race on Sunday. I've not done this one before but aim to (hopefully) enjoy myself and plan to take the hills easily, so have no idea of finishing time.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    QS: the gate makes it good practice for the start at the FLM. Quick surge, then stationary, then getting underway again.
  • Options
    Youre right there M F ,I had almost forgotten about the start.
    We are travelling across from Brighton tom and staying the night in Dorset ,so won't post on here again .
    Good luck everyone ,may see you around the course ,enjoy :)
  • Options
    Blimey, you've got a trek CC. Will be looking out for a monkey on the way round. Expect to be a way behind though. I've just had a call from someone to ask if i've heard about this 'nightmare' half in deepest Dorset on Sunday. I soon realised she was talking about this one. Apparently it's best not to look up as you approach the steep bit?!!!

I will therefore now be running with calf protectors, hot water bottle, woolly hat and a flask of whisky. So, if I can't make it up the hill (going to tell all my friends it was a mountain) I shall take a seat on a verge, have a drink and wait for a passing tractor to pick me up. Oh, and I shall bring elbow pads for the gate bit.

I cannot wait! See you all there.
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

my first race, but I only live around the corner so I'll be on home ground and at least I'll be able to console myself with a hot bath straight after the finish.

The weather doesn't look that cold for Sunday, does it? Personally, I like it on the chilly side, but just in case, I'll keep a flourescent yellow woolly hat on hand. Feel free to say hello if you see me!

And for those who want to know, I'm hoping for a time around 2 hours. But since this'll be my only benchmark, the time isn't so important.

See you all there, and good luck.
  • Options
    all this talk of the hill, it can't be as bad as the one to the finish of Portland surely??
  • Options
    Ah ,its not too bad LL,my mum lives around the corner from the race.Am no 389,so may see a few of you around the 2hr mark.Right,must go now :)
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Weather forecast is for it to be a tropical 6 tomorrow.

yorkshire lad, entry #38, ~1hr 50
    Mak's Friend, 389 <2hrs
    Alex Bidwell, <2hrs
    Catys Dad
    Bananas1, <2hrs
    Quickstepper 1:24:08 to beat but unlikely
    ChristchurchJon
    CC <2hrs
    Little Lou, 2 hrs on the nose or <
    hunterway
    tiny tia
    hilly
    Little lou
  • Options
    ...and misty - we might be treated to a beautiful Blackmore Vale mist hanging in the valley or a dirty pea souper to slog through!

Look forward to the post race forum chats - cheers and good luck.
  • Options
    I know this is a bit late to ask but I'll do it anyway..... Is there likely to be something to keep my other half occupied while we go off running for a couple of hours?
    Ive convinced her that there will be fund raising going on, so she's coming along to support me but I hope (for my sake) that she's not stood around twiddling her thumbs.
    Anyone out there been to this run before?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Oh dear The Doc, there's not much there apart from a walk in the country lanes!

They do however normally sell cakes, sandwiches and hot drinks in the village hall.

Or there's the 5 mile fun run:o)
  • Options
    The organiser tells me the results will be on www.bvlions.co.uk by lunchtime Monday.

Hope you all had a good one and see you all on Sunday 4 February 2007.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Tough run for me today, the hamstring/knee gave me gip from about mile 2. I ran with a clibmember until she had a loo stop, then pressed on on my own. I was a bit faster without here so gradually passed other runners until the finish.

Set a PW by 12 minutes by coming in in 2:10.

Still I really enjoyed the run, after the fog lifted it got nice and warm and there were some splendis views. I some way when you really know you aren't in top form it takes the pressure off to try hard, and that meade it a pleasant run despite the leg discomfort.

So a well marshalled course, plenty of drinks staions, the only complains are cark parking, and the lack of loos. I don't know what they could do about the former but maybe portaloos for the seconds.

Anya well done to the marshals and the BV Lions for putting the race on.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Oh! lots of typos in the post. maybe the bottle of red as anaesthetic has affected my typing.

clibmember = clubmember
    here = her
    splendis = splendid
    Anya =Anyway

Off to drink another bottle.
  • Options
    did anyone hear whether bolting horse and missing rider were ok ? It certainly woke me up...
  • Options
    Well done MF, I really enjoyed today, the weather and views were great and I managed to have a good run. I finished by my watch in 1hr 51:18 :0)
    I would agree about the parking, I'm glad Jon drove today and was able to drop me off while he parked, could be a unnecessary agro trying to park safely along that main road.
    I can't fault the marshalls, and there seemed to be oodles of water stations?!?
    Did you see/hear about the runaway horse, it passed us at a frightening rate a potentially dangerous incident.
  • Options
    missing rider?
  • Options
    What a horrible run (meant in the nicest possible way)! Certainly one of the most challenging I've ever done. Rather naive to put my PB down as a target, was over a minute and a half off in 80.19.

Started to struggle on the hill between 5 and 6 miles and spent much of the second half holding on. Also a bit difficult to motivate myself to push the last mile with my finishing position guaranteed by then in terms of in front and behind.

Glad I did it though, must surely have had a positive effect on the marathon training.
  • Options
    Fantastic organisation again this year - looked like a good scrap at the front for the honours.

CJ - Struggled 80:19? I thought my PB improvement of 31 sec to 83:37 was good! Sorry I couldn't push you in the last mile - I'd have loved to.

Believe it or not I actually was glad to run uphill in the last mile, I'd got a severe pain in the abdomen descending at 12 miles, it was agony (:-o only disappearing when I hit the last hill or was that the pain in my legs took over?

My friend got passed by the horse too - it was fairly scary apparently - Question is did it have a number on?

I hope you all now appreciate why I said what I did about getting through the first 6 miles safely!!! Is this a hard course or is this a hard course PLUS a Garmin wearer measured it as 13.3 miles (have the committee accounted for the undulations in the distance?)

Cheers all
  • Options
    hey everyone; really enjoyed it today, a very good race indeed. Managed to hit my target as posted before the race, as finished in 1hr 50mins 18sec. So pleased with that, particularly given the hill at the end. Although, i think i probably improved my finishing position by about 50 places in the last half mile as everyone else seemed in similar difficulty!

Would echo the comments about the organisation, very well run and efficient, and likewise the plentiful water stations were a real bonus.

Am also very keen to know what happened to the horse -- i ran past it just before it got loose and had noted it was looking a bit distressed. the rider was walking it round and round in circles which i thought was a bit odd, and it just seemed to be getting agitated -- when i was running down the hill, a man shouted from behind us, "watch out, there's a wild horse" and the bloke next to me just jumped straight into the hedge to get out the way!! quite funny i thought, but the horse was going a fair lick, so understandable i guess! it just galloped off into the distance and i never heard anything more of it. either way, certainly an eye-opener...

all in all, a very good day. would definitely do this one again.
  • Options
    "CJ - Struggled 80:19"
    It's all relative. I know I'll go out to London in April and whatever time I get, anyone doing a first time marathon will have worked so much harder and deserve far more praise.

Would never have beaten my PB, but could have gone quicker today with a more sensible race, but I like to be confident and more often than not it does pay off although mainly on courses I've done before. So doing the course for the first time, I'm not disappointed in hindsight.

• Options
    Well run event! Anyone know if the results are/will be on the Web? Cheers.
  • Options
    incidentally, my Garmin clocked 13.1 miles exactly. Think they're best treated as very accurate guides, it's been a quarter of a mile out on a 10k before.
  • Options
    p.s. Quickstepper -- i was using a garmin forerunner and it measured the distance as 21.18km; i forgot to change it to miles, but a half is supposed to be 21.09km -- so pretty accurate, if also *slightly* on the long side.
  • Options
    CJ - I know what you mean - that's the beauty of running you against the clock (and the guy in front.

I now really need to do a flat half to really put a dent in the PB, hopefully. Got any suggestions within the South West area?