Options

Blackmore Vale Half-Marathon

13»

Comments

• Options
    Just as you all measure it as 13.1 or longer and not shorter we will have the moral high ground!!!
  • Options
    Bournemouth Bay Half is a possibility, April 2nd. Although that is dependent on little to no wind.

Short sharp climb within the first mile and about a 3/4 mile drag between 9 and 10. Otherwise flat.

The other fast one I've done that may be nearer to you is Bath (Mar 19?). Currently accepting entries through Runners World. See front page.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

My first Blackmore Vale Half M. I finished in 1h52 by my watch, which isn't bad considering I had a target of 2hrs. The hill at the end is definitely something of a terror, but I tackled that problem by simply slowing down... a lot.

I saw the riderless horse too - a magnificent beast in full flight - I think it was just under the half way point at Duntish. Althoug it was going the same way as us when it passed, I saw it only the once.

I definitely appreciated the frequent water stations. I missed only one or two, preferring instead to drink a little at each of them. It seemed to keep everything ticking along.

I found it quite a difficult day to predict in terms of weather and appropriate clothing. I was staying at my sister's place in Bishops Caundle at until 10.30pm or so the weather was still reported on by BBC Online as -2C. So I went out with hat and gloves, but by mile 4 or 5 I no longer needed them. A shame the marshalls couldn't have taken them back to the start for me (just put things in carrier bags with the runner's number on. I'm willing to take the risk.)

Anyway, well done to everyone involved, especially the organisers.
  • Options
    Thought that was quite a toughie today,I wanted to do under two hours but a midweek bug put paid to that, I was sweating like mad at 2 miles and didn't recover until mile six or seven,found the easiest stretch on the main road through Pulham.Would like to go back and do it again next year in top form eventuall came in in 2.06.
    As regards the horse I was right there when it happened a girl of about 12 was struggling to control a horse and couldn't hang on and off it charged,hope it's OK
  • Options
    well done everyone,great race .
    So many water stops !My thanks to the organisers.
    I had a pleasant suprise today .After finding it hellish last year and never wanting to do it again.Actually enjoyed it this year and even that last hill didn't seem to bad.Ran 2:02 last year and 1:55 today ,beating my half mara pb by 2mins :)
  • Options
    p.s well done hilly .Dg said she had bumped into you .Fantastic time!
  • Options
    Well done to all.

Jeffsy has been injured and not lurking in these forums at all over the past 4 months.

But, I started plodding again in mid December whilst on hollybobs in Egypt after 6 weeks off. I’ve hammered the training since new year and did a surprising time today given the time I’ve been back….2 years ago I did 1-31 here when ‘fit’, today I ran 1-20-59 for 7th place when on the way back. Of the 46 half marathons I have run, its my 2nd fastest!!!!

Not sure how…still...but I will take it. I felt tired between 4-6 miles after my renta-companion fell away at 4 miles. But then I seemed to find another gear. Alone until 12 miles (when he caught me up again) it was a long personal battle with my own will.

I run hills fairly well, so I lost him in the final stretch of the climb and held the place I had held since the 4 mile marker.

Good to see Martin and his YRR teammates before the start, but otherwise it was also a good day out, driving 101 miles from Bracknell on the day warranted something decent!

And I probably set another record, I got home in 79 minutes, I was back at the local football club bar in Bracknell by 2.05 pm. Dare I ask if anyone was still running a race that I had done 101 miles away at that time? Please do not forward this to local police!!!!

But last word to BV Lions, I ‘found’ myself again today and will remember the day I ‘raced again’ after thinking my ankle was b*ggered. Well done, especially with the crowded mass of people and conditions.

One final question, was the vest I saw with 'plum' on the back belonging to the very-named forumite I remember on here previously????

Cheers all
  • Options
    Anyone know where/when results will be posted??
  • Options
    chubbycheeks: on page 3, Catys Dad states, "organiser says results will be posted on www.bvlions.co.uk by lunchtime Monday"
  • Options
    Flippin eck!

That was a toughie. i managed a pb of 2.01 which under those hilly circumstances, i'm pretty chuffed about. I was doing fine until those last two miles but was relieved that that last steep bit was shorter than i thought. I think anyone who completed that course upright should be really proud of themselves.

My Garmin Forerunner put the course at 3.31 as did someone elses who finished near me... So maybe i did get the 2.00 i was looking for?

Great organisation, fab waterstations with smiling faces. Great atmosphere all the way round. I might even do it again...

• Options
    "My Garmin Forerunner put the course at 3.31"

I'd look to get yourself a refund on that !!! :-)
  • Options
    I use origon scientific gps thingy and measured 13.12 miles..
  • Options
    Results are now available on www.bvlions.co.uk

Course is accurate to within a few yards so no excuses.
  • Options
    don't mean to be dense- but where?
  • Options
    Thanx;0)

Read down to the writing. Click for the link (written in blue )to take you to either the half or fun run results Lucy.
  • Options
    Getting to the results on the web site is a bit confusing. Go to http://www.bvlions.co.uk/ but then click on Home and a bit further down is a link to the results.
  • Options
    To jeffsy - Plum was on Neil Plumridge's jersey - fellow Chard Road Runners club member. Not sure whether he uses RW forum.
  • Options
    Looking at the results, does anyone know why a few club runners don't have their club next to their name on the results.

There's one from BAC and at least 2/3 others who I recognise that belong to other Dorset clubs. Just thinking of league results.

By my calculations, congrats must go to Egdon Heath Harriers on what must be their first Dorset League win for quite some time, if not ever.
  • Options
    Are the results still posted? I don't see them anywhere... I hope I'm not just being thick.
  • Options
    For those having trouble finding the results, it's best to go straight there via this link:

http://www.bvlions.co.uk/index.html
  • Options
    Cheers Gf ,will go and have a peak.
  • Options
    Report on horse and rider

Both are fine if a little shaken. Young lady was warned by marshals that runners were coming. To compound the situation the horse got its bit under its tongue. The young lady was taken home by the marshall and was eventually re-united with her mount and rode it home.
  • Options
    Catys Dad, thank you for the report on this young lady. Apart from the fact that I finished the race, she was the topic of our post-race analysis. Pleased she's ok!

Thank you for confirming the course distance is bang on accurate. not. I was rather hoping i'd run more than I was supposed to in a quicker time!

Fab day, roll on next year.
  • Options
    Hiya Everyone

This was my first half marathon ever and I really enjoyed it. I did it in 1hr 53min which im dead pleased with although that hill at the end was a killer.

I will definately be back next year to crack my time. But I found this a really good run and everyone was friendly which was nice becuase I didn't have anyone to talk to as I came on my own, so thank you to those people whole chatted to me on my way round.

Roll on my next half marathon. Im doing the Roding Valley on 26th Feb. Can't wait.

• Options
    Who knows about the results! I gave my club and age (30) online but you can't see any of that by my name in 7th??!! must be an issue with online entries or the fact they didn't want to list a non local (Bracknell Forest runners) in the nice list of West Country bumpkins!!!!!!!
  • Options
    You can now Neal.

And thanks for helping drag Tag around - he's a very good track runner who doesn't yet like longer distances and hills!! Was only his 2nd half marathon belss him!
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Arr. me am puzzled therr. You bin got yer name therr alright. Sez you cums from Brracnell and you be undrr 40.
  • Options
    Have another look at the web site Jeffsy
    www.bvlions.co.uk you will see it has been updated. You guys expect instant results and then moan because there are one or two errors. If you notice something wrong email the race secretary and he will put it right
  • Options
    I will pipe up for the race secretary. My results are spot on with all my info. Only problem is I would have prefered to have been a little further up the list. 396th position was a little poorer than i'd hoped...