Options

Monday Jan 30th Training

Morning all

taking opportunity to start a thread and allow folk to go a googling on the lyrics - I smiled when I heard this on the radio these last weeks. hope it doesn't apply to too many forummers. Well except for @ the socials!! :-)

Congrats to Trini. for an ace improvement in the mara pb. several other real good efforts on the thread on sunday, pammie, clink, Mike S etc. Even PH returning to make us smile as she resists temptation...(not).

Anyway, Monday will be a rest day for me having done 5 days on the bounce. yesterday's 12 was good and I felt well in control when upping the pace for the last 2mi by 45s/mi.

Have a good week.

Comments

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    good morning all. Back to the weekly grind of early starts, the weekend a distant memory. groan.

I'm very pleased I was commenting on the thread through the day as it was a pretty major one.

Well done Chris at another storming session on the track.

MikeS sorry you were disappointed with your race.

What: 3 miles ish easy then cycle to work
    why: recovery from yesterday's run
    last hard: yesterday

See you all later.
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 12M @MP + 10-20%
    Why: having to go it alone from Pete & Scott!
    It's better this way to fit my running around the increasing time I'm spending doing massage :-)
    Tonight will be me time, a good solid run then relax!
  • Options
    Guten Morgan!

What:
    am: 4-6mile steady
    pm: 12mile steady

Why:
    Following a Lydiard style base building plan toward the Belfast Marathon on 1st May

Running has been very sporadic over the past couple of days, but hoping to get back into the groove over the next few days
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    checking in to report 3.2 miles done at 138 av HR.

It's pretty windy here in south west London and I'm not looking forward to my cycle ride. Much much warmer than the last few days though.

Have a very good day people.
  • Options
    Morning All

Huge congrats to Trini, great stuff, this training lark works eh?

Back from Sri Lanka, ran 10K each morning beside the Indian Ocean whilst feeling like the Pied Piper with all the kids running along beside me trying out their English. "where you going mister" being the favourite. Once I got about 4K away from the hotel it was obvious that they don't see too many mad Europeans running around in a kit which basically consists of the South African flag (My mum is South African, hence the obsession with Comrades.)

Mrs DD & junior DD had a great time and I actually managed to fit in three dives, first time in over a year. Reminded me why I always loved diving so much.

Have just been to the physio as could feeing my right achilles starting to tweak, got told to ease back on the speed work but not stop running thank goodness.

What: 11K tonight club run
    Why: Monday
    Last Hard: about 10 days (sore achilles)
    Last rest: yesterday

Enjoy
  • Options
    Morning

Well done Clink great to see you doing so well

Pammie great race and great piccie:-)

Hilly-I have power ballards too and also like Nickle back;-)

SR,Debbo and TMR seems there are a few of us in similar situations lets hope they resolve for us all.

What: 7 miles after work
    Why: because I still cant get up early to run before work.
    Last hard: gym sessions

Have a great day out there
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    morning,

thank you for all the encouraging comments, much appreciated. mikeS you described the course so much better than me though! i'm now tempted to do the alsager 5 next sunday..

2 fantastic runs at glasgow chrispro16, that's a great chunk to take off the 1500pb too

bryn your long run points to a very stylish marathon debut coming up

DD sounds like you had a nice break

cold and icy again here

what - 40 mins recovery run
    why - race yesterday
  • Options
    Morning all,

wow, what a thread yesterday, with so much good news. Well done all.

Legs have eased off today, so I am off to the pool.

What: long swim am; tri club run pm
    Why: because I can move again!
    Last hard: moving yesterday
    Last rest: Thurs

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    Morning everyone,

Well done Chris. Savage improvements there. Will be checking the press for your name in years to come!

MikeS, hope you can take from the fact that you felt that you ran as well as you could. There's nothing you can do about what anyone else managed to achieve.

What: am/10k + pm/hill runs - 4x1k repeats
    Why: Recovery this am, and promised a friend this evening. Wish hadn't!!
    Last hard: Saturday's long run
    Last Rest: 16 days
    Lyrics: Not a mission.

Have a good day all.

RM
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

Well done in the 1500M CP16!

Good to read you enjoyed the Tough Guy, Count, well done.

SR, I like the sound of the weekend you had. You wait when young SR grows up she'll be as enthusiastic for the fells as you!

MikeS, well done on your race, but sorry you were disappointed. I enjoyed reading your report. In fact your race reports are very easy to visualise even though one doesn't know the area.

Bryn, I too use downhills to my advantage in races. It's easier to build momentum and then keep going or try to:o)

Sounds like you and the family had a good time DD.

WP, it belongs to my daughter, but I've put some of the songs on my mp3. I don't tend to have any favourite singers/bands, as long as the music sounds good I'm happy:o)

Have you left your week day job then WP or doing the shop as extra?

what:am 3 miles, pm 10 miles with 30 mins tempo
    why:training, training, training

My neck feels a bit better but it's still itchy and red. My chest is still tight too so shall get some antihistamine today and if that doesn't do any good I'll got to the GP. I've used my asthma inhaler this morning, which is a bit unusual!

Have a good day all!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Me and my typos (too quick on the keyboard:o)) read go for got.
  • Options
    morning guys!

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all your well wishes etc for the Southerns! Great to meet you Micksta, Wabo I did look out for you but sadly must have missed you.

As to the race, it was really tough with the ground being uneven the whole way round and what with that and a couple of killer hills the legs were really feeling it! But after a shaky start, I fortunately managed to find my legs and finished in 26th place! I am over the moon with that, and although it hurt that mad (apparently xc is meant to be like that!) I am looking forward to the challenge of Parliment Hill and the Nationals now... I think!!

Keep up the great training guys!
  • Options
    morning all,

big thread full of impressive stuff yesterday.

phys1 - There was a lot out on the meanwood valley trail yesterday. We ran passed a group heading north to south and we were heading in the opposite direction. Maybe you were with them.

legs don't feel too bad today. got a day off as having new kitchen installed so will get a 4m recovery run in.
  • Options
    Morning.

What: Benfleet 15 yesterday - 15 steadily paced miles, started out slow and finished strong.
    Why: Mrathon training.
    Last hard: Yesterday.
    Last rest: 2 days.

Still have remnants of my New Year cold - might expalain why I struggled a bit yesterday.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Spans - Great run

What: 9 miles done, gym at lunchtime & 6 miles tonight
    Why: general conditioning
    Last hard: ???
    Last rest: Friday

Have a good one
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Well Done, weekend racers.

What: 35mins treadmill done, drills at lunchtime, 75mins outside later
    Why: Recovery & building miles
    LastHard: Yesterday
    LastRest: 8Jan06

Hope you all have a good day.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    spans!! well done! You were 26th, while I was probably 26th from the end;)
    I did g et round, and managed 3 miles sunday morning, had a lovely time in exmouth, today I am glad to say I feel heaps better and back on the road again!

I did see a couple of your girls standing at the last hill, opposite side to me, cheering on the men! How tough was that for them??? Two girls had hats on and you may have been one?? Wasn't sure what you look like spans, try to catch you at the nationals (not running of course!)
    Not sure if it is because I am so slow or because I hadn't run for 9 days, but I found exeter ok, though the ground was so bumpy as spans said and my ankles got a bit battered! Am really quite pleased that I got round and felt quite strong.

DD glad you and family have had a lovely time, beach run sounds lovely!!
    Mava - you are an early bird!!
    Take care hilly, sounds sore.

Will catch up lunch time, but in the meantime

what: cross training, gym and other stuff
    why: hal says so!
    last hard: sat
    last easy fri
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Got to say well done to Spans (wow!) and CP on the 1500 (wow again) and The Count....you are flippin good at this tough guy stuff. Saw a picture of it in the metro this morning......didn't make me feel jealous at all :-)

Glad the neck is getting better Hilly.

What:3 miles
    Why: scheduled and recovery. Legs have been replaced for lead today.

And anyone else I missed...well done but I will get sacked if I dont start work in a sec.
  • Options
    Morning All,

Reporting in from the ranks of the lurgified in case anyone wandered where I'd got to after two weeks. I went down with a nasty virus which then developed into bronchitis, so I had an enforced rest of 11 days! Tried a 4m jog yesterday and coughed my guts up. My FLM contingency plan was to start the Pete&Scott 12 week plan today, but that needs 6m so I'm not hopefull.

hope everyone else is better than me. I haven't had time to read the threads as I've got 995 work emails to get through.
  • Options
    Morning!

Well done to all the racers - including CP, Spans and the tough guys!

What: 2km Swim d&d
    Why: Resting the leg again.
    Lyrics: Resting my musical knowledge again.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Spans - well done, that's fantastic!

Chris - another great run yesterday, on only 13 months running. Where will you be after 13 years?!

TC - tough guy looks horrific!

WP - I actually made the choice to work where I am. I have had enough with challenging work - I just want to earn the money - IM is my new challenge!

My right calf is extremely tender this morning - maybe continuing to run and cycle when it was sore wasn't such a wise move after all....

What: a swim - I'll aim for an hour if my shoulder allows
    Why: IM training and my calf is too sore to run or cycle
    Last hard: saturday
    Last rest: friday
  • Options
    Wabo - yes I was one of those two girls (in the grey jacket)... cheering madly at the guys and starting to get very cold!! Well done on your run, I found myself during the race praying for the road season and a smooth path underfoot!! Was up early on Sunday too and managed a very hilly 8miles along the cliff path from branscombe, if only all my runs were that beautiful :)
  • Options
    Hi again,

had a lovely swim, all warm and loosened up now, looking forward to a run tonight. How does 24 hours change so much!

Hope the neck is feeling better Hilly.
  • Options
    Morning All.

Not been about much over the past few days due to holidays and illness.

Missed 4 days running last week due to illness, but feeling better today.

Just did a steady 5.6 miler today to ease the legs back into things.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Options
    Morning!

Hilly in your pic you look like an absolute babe, fast runner and good looking, that's just not fair!

Mel, I think that swimming should be forced upon runners (as well as yoga) as there's nothing like it that helps recovery, do you find?

This morning I 'run' 3.5 miles, it took me about 2 minute longer to do the usual loop as my legs weren't very happy. However, I did it (bounce! thud! puff!) and fortunately I am fit for 'normal life', like doing stairs and suchlike.

Circuit class tonight, will I survive?

• Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Well done spans - great race.

3rd week back since missing most of winter after Leeds Abbey Dash through injury and illness.

Raced Midlands XC on Sat and came 25th and 5th counter for club which got us a team silver. 10 places down on last year. Got some work to do to get back to top form again.

Today - 40 mins easy 6.30 m/m off road.
    Tonight - 7 mile steady state run 5.30-5.50 m/m.

Racing this weekend at Chichester 10k but dont plan to taper for this one.
  • Options
    Morning

DD - Welcome back

AF - Hope you feel better soon

Huge thread yesterday,read it,but can't remember all the highlights. Congratulated some of you yesterday,but well done to all. Busy at work so,

What: Rest
    why: Schedule,marathon taper
    Last hard: More than a week

Have a good one.

• Options
    Morning all,
    Just been catching up on the thread during my absence.

Southerns XC Champs for me over the weekend, tough 9.5mile course, which was very hilly, twisty and the surface hard and uneven, not my type of course!

I got held up big-time at the start, as it bottle necked into a sharp right hander around 200-300m after the start, like jogging pace around there, once into the race, I spent the first 3-laps, just picking people off and trying to save energy, moved nicely through the field, pushing pace, then easing back when I caught next group of runners, last lap, my laces came undone and my lower back and hamstrings started to stiffern, probably due to running in 12mm spikes for like 9-miles on a rock hard surface, lost a few places, but finished in 1:00.39.
    206th overall first home for IEK by over 2-mins, the 2nd scorer usually finished around 20-30secs behind me in local races. Team manager was pleased with me, and I think the race went pretty well, just missed out on going sub 60 though, nevermind!

SPANS:
    Great to finally meet you and have a chat for 5-mins. Good result in the race as well, you did good! Im doing the Natioanls as well!

What:
    am: 5-miles already done at 6:10mm pace, moving well today, legs a little tired but not seriously so, just the stomach felt heavy.

pm: 7.5miles at comfy pace, 6:30-7mm pace, keeping it nice and comfy, working hard in parts but keeping mostly just below LT pace.

Why:
    Aerobic endurance and conditioning.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Love the new pic, Hilly. Haven't had time yet to read back on the weekend's threads; not sure I will today as work is a bit busy, so well dones to all who raced and ran well. Special congrats to Spans, Micksta and Wabo - that sounded hard!

What: Rest.
    Why: Schedule says so and ran yesterday's LSD way too quickly (again). Felt OK at the time but legs feel tired today, although not achey.
    Last hard: Yesterday.
    Last rest: Friday.

For the first time in my running career I got soundly reprimanded for using the toilets in one of our local pubs. Scary-looking Irish landlady followed me into the toilets (yes, really!) and proceeded to lecture me about asking permission before using the toilets. I apologised and she went away - came out of the toilet to find her standing there waiting for me and shouting about the pub not being a public lavatory and I should use public conveniences in future. Told her I would gladly do so if there were any in the local area (there aren't). One off my list I think!

Left fuming - she'd made her point; she didn't need to labour the issue (especially in front of all the punters). I've raised lots of money for the local community through my running - hope she never gets to benefit from any of it.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Welcome back DD

Spans, great result!

Micksta - great run, must be hard work with spikes on hard ground. Thanks also for the taper advice, worked a treat.

Minks - can't see the reason for that over reaction, must have a had a bad day!

What: 4 mile easy
    Why: Recovery
    Last Hard: Yesterday!

Lyrics - sound familiar?

Have a great week...

"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation!"
    David Brent