Options

Bolton 10K

Comments

• Options
    9Dart, Leverhulme Park is about 2 miles max from the train station. It should cost no more than £5.00 in a black cab (there is a rank right outside the station), or if you mail me I can give you numbers for local private hire firms that should be a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    red dwarf is this leverhulme near chorley old road? my friend lives there and i was just wondering.
  • Options
    Red Dwarf, many thanks for the response. Good to have an indication of how much it'll be. All the best yourself if you're doing this one?
  • Options
    Daniel, Leverhulme Park is on the other side of Bolton from Chorley Old Road. It's just off Bury Road, which is the main road between Bolton and Bury. It's really easy to find, but again mail me if you want directions.

I haven't entered this one yet, but I'm very tempted as it's so near to home. I generally do half marathons, but I did Lostock 6 last month and really enjoyed a shorter race, so I think it's likely I will end up doing this one.
  • Options
    I've now done 9k on a treadmil... in about one hour. So I should be able to manage this!! (:eek: the tread mill was flat though... I hope there are no hills on this race :)

Having said that though I am sure I have something else on that weekend... like 3 nights of partying!! So not TOO sure I'll be making it....

Just where do my priorities lie?

Damian
  • Options
    Damian, if you've put the effort in this far on the treadmill (& started of this forum thread to boot!) it'd be remiss of you not to ;o)
  • Options
    Damian , just include the 10K as part of the partying weekend! I managed one on Boxing Day after a full Xmas dinner etc
  • Options
    Sadly the party is up in Penrith and there will be about 400 of us :D

The fancy dress is Silver sor perhaps I could get my best silver hot pants out and print up a T Shirt that says "Iv'e just run the Bolton 10k!"

In that way when I look knackered... they won't put it down to too much Whysky like they normally do!!!

What do your reakon? :D

Damian
  • Options
    2 hours drive from Penrith -easy.
  • Options
    Yeah true ... but I have to sober up first!! :eek:

I could try and persuade by girlfriend to drive... but somehow I don't think I'll succeed!

Damian
  • Options
    OK what about "Run Preston 10K" 9th July instead??
    Shame you're not doing Bolton -it's a good run

I'm number 228
  • Options
    Just entered and wondered do a lot of normal/fitness runners do this race ? What I mean is I'm not a brilliant runner and did the GNR 2005 in 2hrs 13 mins, so I wont be left at the back on my own will I.
  • Options
    Hi Mark,

I can't do links I'm afraid but if you copy and paste this

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2005/bolton.htm

into your address bar, it is a link to last years results. I reckon you'll be on target to finish in around 1 hour with your GNR time. This looks like a race for all levels and abilities from last years results. Good luck!
  • Options
    It's a race for all abilities -and a good 'un
  • Options
    I've just done 7 miles in 59 mins so hopefully I can aim for about 52mins. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Mark,

Nope, you won't be at the back, but I might!. Ran 10K for the very first time last week and I was pleased with 69 mins, but on last years results that makes me 695 / 727. Think I need to work on my speed to avoid embarassment! It will be my first ever race though. So that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers, Mark
  • Options
    I've only ever done the GNR so this is my second race. I'm doing the Blackpool half marathon in June so I'm using this as a training race as well as just getting used to race day atmospheres.
  • Options
    Exactly my reason for doing it too. A training race for the Great Manc Run, but I must admit I'm looking forward to it now. And I have no idea what a race day atmosphere is like. Only used to running on my own, or with one other person.
  • Options
    Bolton was my first ever 10K 2 years ago, you'll be fine with it -and a hundred times less crowded than the Grt Mcr Run!
  • Options
    Thanks Dr K. I can't wait. Managed to shave over 2 minutes off my 10K time yesterday, so very slightly more respectable now!

Cheers, Mark
  • Options
    Does anyone know the actual route, or know where its printed anywhere ? Be nice to have a dry run in advance of the actual event.

• Options
    PC -it is from Leverhulme Park Athletics track, Long Lane, Bolton, Right onto Long Lane, left Radcliffe Road towards Little Lever into Dove Bank Road (continuation of Radcliffe Rd) straight on Marsh Road to end t junc, left Church St -left Countess Lane, left Radcliffe Moor Rd I think it is, then up to Bury new Rd and left then left into Garstang Ave, right into Blenheim Rd, left into Long Lane and then few hundred yards to the finish.
  • Options
    hows everyones trainin goin? feelin pretty good meself, any ideas what the entries are like for the race so far? jus thinkin with the clash with london marathon...
  • Options
    I did this one last year and really enjoyed it. I do remember there being a killer hill that was about 400 yards long at mile 7 - sorry!!

Won't be able to do it this year as I have the FLM same day - enjoy.
  • Options
    Obviously I meant km 7, not mile!

A few tips. Don't enter on the day it's too busy. Watch out for a quick start - I remember being called to the start and I had only just got there from about 50 yards away and the race started. I remember some people getting caught out - the race won't wait for you!
  • Options
    cheers m8, ive already entered so will get there early! jus knocked 4 minutes off my 10k training route pb so really looking forward to this one!
  • Options
    For info of all entrants, due to constructive feedback (see we do listen) this year the start will be on Long Lane but please don't enter onto the Road until you hear the starters 5 min warning as the road will not be closed.

Hopefully there will be plenty of toilets as we have Premier Fives and the New Sprots complex open.

500 entrants to date. I will only take 850 so i predict disapointment for some.

Before the moans all entries on the day are £10 primarily to speed the queue up - (more feedback as now not sorting change) and secondly attached runners are notoriious for just turning up on the day (causing Organisers the problem of How many!!) so if they enter early this year it is £4 cheaper now they can't moan at that (you bet!!!??!!)

Evrey one have a good run. Remember I organise it for all the field especially those in the middle and end. There will be problems, there always is, but we will do our best to make your run a good one

Regards
    Nick Howarth , Race Organiser
  • Options
    Thanks Nick,

My first ever race, so a couple of (possibly daft) questions if you don't mind?

Where is the best place to park, is there a charge?

Race starts at 9:30, is that right?

What time would you recommend getting to Leverhulme Park, so as not to be on the last minute?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers, Mark
  • Options
    I want to do this because having done 3 10Ks in the past 3 weeks, I am addicted to racing.

Will give it some more thought and perhaps sign up on the day...
  • Options
    I've just entered online. So I'll see you all there (even though I don't know what any off you look like, if my new pic is uploaded then I look like that, in my orange vest.)