Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    Columba well done re the run. xxxxxxxxximage
  • Options

went to tri club swim training tonight, wasn't going to go but John persuaded me I'd feel better after and he's right. Didn't do the whole session but I swam 2500m, using a pull bouy. My leg feels better and the horrid blister on my foot has been sorted out by the chlorine. Roll on tri season!

As for extreme challenges - end of July 2012 we're doing a Channel relay swim.

• Options

Helegant, i'm sorry Brighton did not go as planned for you, i am quite sure you are resilient enough for another attempt on another marathon somewhere. When we first met in Blackpool all those years ago that was my comeback race after 13 months with 2 lots of surgery. Never give in that what i say.

Tony, thats a fine effort i'm hoping the weather is cooler for London.

Ultra, its sad to hear you have to curtail marathon running. I've joined you with that one by choice as i feel i cannot commit the effort and time required to train properly, its a distance that demands 100% fitness and respect.

Redhead, i've managed to get tickets for Legally Blonde at the Savoy theatre, Mrs OT is looking forward to the show as that is her highlight of our little escapade to london as, she has no interest in running.

I am feeling in good shape to night 3 miles  in 30.44 the quickest for 10 months and i could have gone faster but i had to tell myself to slow down for fear of busting something. I just need to transfer my positive feeling and fitness to Blqackheath on sunday undamaged.

Physio tomorrow for a final check on the ankle. 

Take care everyone.   

• Options

Dear All,

My full marathon report follows next but firstly, I want to say separately my commisserations to IW and Helegant - I felt really sorry reading your reports.   It was a hard day and I hope you are on the way to recovery now?   Keep smiling!

• Options

2011 Brighton Marathon Report

Travel - All went to plan and on time from Germany to UK.   Quite impressed with Air Berlin.

Hotel - Mrs H and I stayed in the Brighton Premier Inn and we arrived at 3.30 pm on the Saturday afternoon after the journey from Germany.   Was impressed with the hotel because reception staff were very helpful arranging advice on getting to the start from the hotel and had agreed to my request for early breakfasts for marathon runners.

Saturday PM & Evening - Mrs H and I took a very pleasant walk down to the seafront and then all along to Brighton Marina.   Weather was superb with a nice cool breeze and sunshine.   We were amazed by the amount of people around, in the town and on the beach.   On arrival at Brighton Marina, we found a nice Italian Restaurant and I forced down some pasta (I'm not a huge lover of pasta as some regular readers will know).   After the meal, another nice walk back to the hotel where I prepared everything for Sunday morning.   We didn't 'do' the marathon 'Expo' - been to enough of those and nothing to gain this time as I already had my number and chip etc.

• Options

2011 Brighton Marathon Report - Continued

Race Day - Had breakfast at 6.30 am and then took a walk to Preston Park (Race Start) which took about 30 minutes.   Everything at the start seemed very well organised and I quickly deposited my bag on the baggage bus and found the loo etc.   There were no long 'lines' to wait for the urinals so that was good - not so good for the ladies because their 'lines' were very long!

It was already quite warm at the start so I took shelter, did some very gentle jogging before watching Steve Cram on the stage giving us a 'pep' talk.   I then made my way to the red starting corral in time for the 9 am start.   Fortunately, the race went off on time and the first 1.5 miles consisted of an undulating circuit of Preston Park.   It was quite narrow in places so the runners further back had a slow start out of the Park.   The first 5-6 miles went around Brighton city centre before heading onto the seafront for the first time.   My pace was around 7:15 per mile which, I later realised, was too quick and was one of the reasons for 'blowing up' at 23 miles!

The rest of the race was then a bit strange in that we would run in one direction for a few miles until we reached a 'cone' in the road where we would have to turn round and run back in the opposite direction seeing the runners behind us as well as the runners in front!   I found myself getting quite confused at times and a wee bit dizzy.   I felt sorry for some of the runners well behind because it must have been quite hard realising some runners were so far ahead?   What was also worrying (and mentioned by IW and Red) was that you could easily cheat and jump over the tape and cut miles off your run if you wanted to do that of course!   Mind you, what would be the achievement of cheating?

• Options

2011 Brighton Marathon Report - Continued

Personally, I felt good and strong until 23 miles where we reached the final 'long' stretch on the seafront.   The 3 miles before that were very boring running around a horrible part of Brighton so I was getting a bit fed up!   Then, in the final 23 miles my legs just cramped up and felt very heavy.   I put it down to a combination of running too fast earlier on in the race and the effects of the sun and heat which, I'm told 'hit' 23C at one point!   Those last 3 miles were long and hard and made harder because you could see the finish (just after Brighton Pier) ahead in the distance and it didn't appear to get any closer!

Eventually, I staggered over the finish line in 3:35 which was 5-6 minutes slower than I had hoped.   However, my disappointment didn't last too long in view of the heat and I was pleased overall!

Summary

Overall, I enjoyed the weekend and the marathon.   For a new marathon, the organisers have done very well.   There are concerns (from me) about the potential for cheats and the course could be improved upon to make it more interesting I suppose?   I liked getting a choice of T-Shirt size at the finish - this is something 'London' has still not got right after 30+ years - and the T-Shirt is quite good too!

Will I run it again?   I think I will but will watch out for improvements!

Finally, I'm still quite stiff but slowly getting better so I should be able to run the 40th Hermannslauf (31 K trail run) back here in Germany this Sunday while some of you good folk are running in London!

• Options

2011 Brighton Marathon Report - Final Thoughts

Just remembered that whilst going through the finishing 'zone', I noticed quite a few runners helping themselves to up to 6 bottles of water and powerade!   I thought this was very greedy and said so to one runner who didn't bother to reply!   I hope runners further back in the fileld didn't miss out on these drinks later?   Sadly, as in many things in life, there are some horrible greedy and selfish people around!

Best Wishes and good luck to London Marathon runners on Sunday.   I'll watch the BBC highlights show after I get home after the 31K trail run!   Hope the temperature is cooler than Brighton!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Leggies feeling good this morning so just another walk to keep them ticking over. Getting excited and nervous now as my media schedule for Friday starts at 6am (!!!!!!) and goes well into the evening with a trip to the EXPO squeezed it at some point. At least it will all be good publicity for Alzheimer's Research UK.

Tony, excellent report and a great time, especially in that heat. I quite like doubling back on myself as I get to see the faster runners, which is always inspiring, and the slower runners too, who I can cheer and encourage. It certainly doesn't make me downhearted to see people well ahead of me 'cos I'm well used to it!

You are quite right about some people being greedy though. I have been in several marathons where they have run out of water etc at the finish because others have been selfish in taking more than their fair share. I think Brighton would have been OK though as they still had massive stockpiles of water etc when I crossed the line.

Columba, how's mum now?
  • Options

Helegant Sorry to hear of your terrible day. Though it makes my disappointment at not finishing the Welsh Marathon on the same day a little easier to bear. There's always someone worse off.

I set out at 10 min miling I was surprised to find, it is always deceptive at the start. The sky was absolutely clear although the temperature at the start was quite cool. I felt heavy from the beginning. I got to 19 miles under 4 hrs and stopped for a pee. it seemed clear so I thought I was getting hydration right, but getting started again was difficult. At 20miles (4h4m) heading back to the start point for the third time I felt the back of my neck burning, despite factor 50+, and was a bit woosy, so given my medical condition I decided to end it while I could still make a rational decision. After that my pee indicated I was  dehydrated. In retrospect I think I could have carried on if I'd known to take on more water.

I think I need expert advice on running when taking my various meds, but where do you find a quack with knowledge of 69 year olds who run, and have heart conditions, prostate cancer and type 2 diabetes?

Good luck to Virgin runners this weekend.

Tonight I'm doing a 5k for Orchid the male cancer charity, starting at Paternoster Square, next to St Pauls Cathedral at 6.00pm. My running number is 1 ! Hope I'm not the only one!

• Options

TE, thoroughly enjoyed your race report and a time of 3-35 that is excellent.

Digit, i'm sorry to see that your day was'nt the best, you are certainly handicapped, lesser mortals would'nt even have the guts to try, i take my hat off to you.

Just going to get ready for a gentle plod, been busy getting things together for the weekend, i'm only going for 3 days it seems we're taking everything barring the kitchen sink    image

• Options

Basically completed my training schedule for the London with my quickest 6 mile run for 18 months which took me by suprise.

I went to the physio for a check on my ankle and a sports massage afterwards and i happy to declare myself 100% fit for sunday. The only obstacles i've got now is travelling to london, sleeping in a Hotel and the stress of getting to Blackheath.

My pb of 4-53 which i did in 2005 is i feel, just out of reach  i'm 6 years older and the race predictors are coming up with 5-03 to 5-10. but who knows, i've done the training, i'll give it a go.  image 

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

IW - just look at you - bouncing back already! I shall enjoy reading about the channel swim.

Tony - enjoyed reading the race report, - and the "blowing up" didn't sound as bad as it might have; you got to the end, and 5/6 minutes slower than hoped-for is almost nothing over a marathon distance. 

Digit - very sensible to stop when you did, though what a pity it became necessary. I'm sure it must be possible to find a medical person with all the qualifications/ knowledge you need, - that is to say, I'm sure there must be one, but don't know how you would set about looking for him/her.

OT - best of luck - You don't like sleeping in hotels?

Red - best of luck to you too, - with all that media input before you even start on the running AND the knitting. 

I'm getting almost as excited about VLM as the people who are actually doing it!

Did one of my only two circular-runs-from-my-door this morning; just over 5 miles, including a very steep, very long hill which climbs past the golf course and out into the wilds, where there are wonderful views. Includes a couple of gates which have to be opened and shut again, as part of the run is along a farm track. There can be up to four gates, but today two of them were standing open.    

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I'm already an emotional wreck as I've had a couple of interviews sneaked in today and tomorrow will be even worse as it's the media fest and I'll be up with the lark and not back home until late evening with just a couple of hours sometime in the afternoon to escape to the Expo. It's all worth it for the charity though image

This afternoon should be more tranquil as I'm sewing my name onto my new running vest.

Digit, poor you and well done for being sensible which I know doesn't come easily! You are plucky old geezer though and I expect you'll be entering another marathon soon. Take care xxx

OT, well that is very good news. Just remember to slow your pace down if it turns hot on the day.

Columba, gates and stiles can really tire you out on a longer run can't they.
  • Options
    Hi All - Thanks for all the comments on my Brighton Marathon report and I think JJ is correct for the reason for my 'blowing up'. Next time, I'll follow my plan!

Quick postscript to my Brighton Report, on the Monday Mrs H and I travelled up to London for a night. Mrs H wanted to see a show (it was the least we could do as she was a marathon 'widow' on Sunday!). We saw "Dirty Dancing" at the Aldwych Theatre! Mrs H enjoyed it, I thought it was only O.K. However, there was one highlight because sitting in front of me was one Gordon Banks (1966 World Cup winning goalkeeper). That made my night - but, he did look very old and it made me feel old because I could remember him from '66 and '70 in the WC. In those days, I respected the England team because we had fine players and role models! Today we have Rooney, Terry and Gerrard - no I need to say anymore!

I ran a gentle 3 miler today, my first run since Brighton and felt good. It's likely that I will run the 31K trail run here in Germany on Sunday (London Marathon day) but will make final decision tomorrow.
  • Options

Go for it Tony, it's much shorter than Brighton after all, and on softer ground too!

Dog club for me tonight, and we have a two-day training weekend on Sat/Sun, hope tonight to see what sort of agenda our trainers have put together for what we're to do with our dogs -  I've been shamefully neglecting tracking  with Nemo due to marathon training. We did two short trails last evening and he did OK but he needs more practice to keep him on track. I really hope we do more obedience and attack work.

• Options

Tone, at first I wondered what you were doing in the WC with Gordon Banks, and then I realised you meant the World Cupimage. Let us know tomorrow whether or not you will run the Trail Race.

Today I did a 3.34 mile tempo run.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - gates and stiles... Don't know about tiring me out, but they do interrupt the flow of the run.

I hope all the interviews etc go well, - never mind the marathon itself!

Ran about the same distance as TE this morning, but not a tempo run just a gentle trot. Trying to bring my mileage up to what it should be at this point if I'm to achieve 1,000 miles in the year, so running every day - short distances - until I make up the deficit (calculations are done courtesy of the "Fetch" website). 

IW - "attack work" sounds a bit alarming, - does it mean what it seems to mean?  

• Options
    Thanks for the sympathy. Enjoyed the 5K (which turned out to be 6K by Garmin) Orchid charity run in the City yesterday. Set a very modest target of £100 on Tuesday and was surprised to find it exceeded the next morning. Probably could have done better if I had been more ambitious. Hope it doesn't put off latecomers donating. I set it low because I did not want to queer the pitch for a bigger effort on a Marathon next year. Don't know if this is sensible or not. Any advice Red?
  • Options

Columba, sometimes i never relax properly in some hotels, i suppose i like my home comforts too much.

Well, spent the day packing for london, checked everything over a least a couple of times, then went for a gentle run for 3 miles again the quickest for nigh on 12 months, the fitness levels are there okay.I've got myself a race plan,and i'll give the best i've got, i just hope the temperature does'nt go too high like it did in 2007.

Redhead, i'll sent you a text when i get to Blackheath.

To everyone on the thread have a great weekend, whatever you are up to and i'll post my race report on Monday night when i get home.

OT.

• Options
    Columba, the literal translation of "Schutzdienst" is protection service. The most important part of it is total obedience from the dog. The "baddie" stands inside one of 6 hides, you send your dog round the hides, he has to circle all until he comes to the one where the trainer is hiding, then sit and bark to show he's "found". The trainer is wearing a protective padded sleeve, which the dog bites onto to stop the man as soon as he moves. When the man stops moving, the dog must immediately let go. this is repeated with the trainer running away and the dog stopping him. There are several different exercises. all with the same basics, the man is either attacking or running away, in all instances the dog must stop him and let go when told. In trials the last portion is for me to remove the man's weapon, parade him around the field with my dog between him and me, and come to the examiner. Scary the first time you see it or take part, but then you realise this is a game for the dogs, all they want to do is get hold of the sleeve, this is their trophy. During training, the trainer slips his arm out of the sleeve and lets the dog run away with it, this is his reward. Demands total obedience as the dog doesn't want to relinquish his "trophy". The dogs never try to bite anyone else, just the baddie with the sleeve - you can put a bunch of people together and every dog will go only for the one wearing the "sleeve".
  • Options

My Nemo is very good at this, when he's "found" he will sit right up against the trainer and bark up at him, whereas many dogs will jump up and down, or like Oz does, stay on their feet. Nemo always lets go immediately the trainer stops moving, without me having to command him. Where I do sometimes have a problem is right at the end when during practice we allow the dogs to run off the field carrying their trophy as reward. Nemo doesn't always want to give the sleeve back to me then, because he knows the game is over!

Very good luck to all VLM runners for Sunday, I've done London 6 times and always had fun. Redhead - hope you break your record!

• Options

Hi all

Have been absent for a while as I did the first 2 days of the UKCC coaching course.It is nearer to the old level 3 than level 2 and so I have been doing assignments, athlete and coaching profiles and just getting my head around it all etc.

How did Brighton go for those of you that did it? Looking forward to London!!!

Catch you later

Kiwi 

• Options

Good luck to all the VLM runners and look forward to the write ups.

Today did a recovery run of 4.38 miles.

• Options
    Just saw Redhead on TV! She was on "The One Show" with a bunch of other VLM starters.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Final good wishes to all VLM runners, as by tomorrow they may not be picking up emails until it's over. Just had an email from my son-in-law, who is doing VLM as his first ever marathon - he's made about 5 times as much in sponsorship as he expected to - people are astonishingly generous.

4 miles in 55 minutes this afternoon.  

JJ - I appreciate what you say about abandoning the 1,000 mile target if I don't feel up to it. Yet I feel it should be achievable...  Only about 5 miles short of where i should be at present (but as the "Fetch" website updates info on a daily basis, that will be 7 miles behind by tomorrow morning). 

IW - that dog training sounds really quality stuff, - the sort of things expected of police dogs. Is there any likelihood Nemo will ever have to use his skills in a real-life situation, and if so do you think he could?