Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Massive good lucks to VLMers for Sunday. Am feeling extremely nervous. Met the 12 min mile pacer at Expo and I think thats for me from the back of  blue pen 9. The weather looks  better than last weeks, warming up later on but cool for a while.

again lots of positive vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    All the very best for tomorrow's runners. I'll be doing a leisurely 6 miles before watching telly.
  • Options

I also saw Red on the One Show.

This afternoon, I ran a steady 12 miles on grass verges and trails in the forest. Tomorrow I will be watching the VLM on TV.

• Options

Columba - yes it is like police dog work, in fact our trainer is a police dog handler and we have several other members who are also. They are absolutely convinced that if anyone were to try and attack me Nemo would react on command the same way as he does during training/competition.

My thighs are black and blue from today's training - I did 5 sessions of obedience with Nemo before lunch, all of them concentrating on dumbbell retrieval. He did well, but each time stopped himself by jumping at me! After lunch we did 3 lots of attack work.

A very shocking happening in the afternoon, our president had a heart attack and keeled over, hitting his head on the way down. His son (one of our policemen) saved him by thumping his chest very hard to start his heart again. I called the emergency service and in 5 mins the rescue helicopter had landed on the field, Werner is now in hospital hooked up to machinery but alive and conscious, thank God. 2nd time this has happened, he had a defibrillator inserted in his chest last time - when his wife got back she said the telemetry showed his heart had stopped for a couple of minutes.

• Options
    Looking forward to reading the VLM reports later.

Kiwi - Welcome back, Brighton Marathon reports are a few pages back. We had mixed fortunes is a good summary of the weekend!

Going to run the 31K Hermannslauf 31K trail run here in Northern Germany today www.hermannslauf.de The weather is warm but will be pleasant in the forest! Got either a stinking cold or hayfever so my nose is red and dribbling! Lovely!

Good luck everyone!
  • Options

Evenin' relics.... image

Hope all the marathoners achieve their goals today.  Is that Redbonce still knitting, running at the same time and raising lots of money and awareness for charity still?  Me thinks she is so sending her a very special big hug and here's hoping all went well today!

Waves at the old'uns I know and hope everyone is fit and healthy.

Holds out arm to shake the hands of those I don't know!

Ciau for now

PS JJ, be scared de wabbit is back and wants to get back to running long and strong! image

• Options
    Hi All.

Delighted to say that along with 7,000 other runners, I ran the 31K trail run (40th Hermannslauf between Detmold and Bielefeld here in Germany) today despite running the Brighton Marathon only last week. It was a very tough trail run but I just loved it and was delighted to run 9 minutes inside my 3 hour target time, i.e. 2 hours, 51 minutes! The German's certainly know how to put on a good event. Next weekend I just have the simple Paderborn Half Marathon to do - easy at only 21K!!!!

Looking forward to reading VLM reports soon. Just watched the BBC highlights show and it looked rather warm in London today!
  • Options
    Probably the hardest thing ever ever ever. Scraped 6 hrs 16 including a 20 min loo stop at mile 10. A bit warm for me and many others, so many off the side of the road getting help. So emotional at end, couldnt stop blubbing. The Guiness book of records was talking about knitting at the end, Redhead?
  • Options

Well done Chris.  I think you should be proud to complete the marathon because that is a big enough challenge in itself.  The time is very respectable too!

[Hands handkerchief for further blubbing]

'Tis all part and parcel of a wonderful day! 

Sit back and enjoy the feeling now [but not for too long as you may stiffen up]  image

• Options
    yep finishing was the aim and finish I did.
  • Options

Chris, very well done, completing the marathon on such a hot day.

Tone, again, very well done. To run a tough trail race, a mere 7 days after the Brighton Marathon, was crazy, but a great achievement. You should find next weeks half marathon a doddle.

I felt guilty today not running, but sitting indoors watching the marathon on TV. I will make up for it tomorrow by doing a tough interval session.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

VLM was awesome as usual and the crowd support was fantastic.

Although I managed to knit a long scarf it was 10cm short of my current Guinness World Record but not too disappointed as it was a bit too warm for knitting on the run - sweaty hands and wool really aren't a good combination! Also, a silly man dressed as a Spitfire managed to knock my knitting out of my hands about mile 9 and I had to stop to pick up all my stitches again!

The good thing is that even though I didn't set a new record it will still get good publicity.

Next marathon is Salzburg in 4 weeks. Can't wait image

Chris, well done. It was a bit on the warm side but you completed it and should be proud.

Will read back properly tomorrow but off to bed soon as have to be up at 4am to get into London for more publicity early in the morning.
  • Options

Hi all

Just got back from London to Somerset.Awesome atmosphere there again.We just don't have anything like this in New Zealand.How did it go REDHEAD?

Going to devour some pizza now as I am starving.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

I didn't manage to watch any of VLM as I had a call from my mother's care home early in the day to say she was very unwell and they'd called in the emergency weekend doctor. So of course I went straight there. Things improved a little as the day went on; the doctor arrived, diagnosed a waterworks infection and prescribed yet another course of antibiotics. Mother drank a lot of water (earlier she wouldn't even drink, never mind eat) and managed to swallow some ice-cream. She was fairly lucid but not very easy to understand, - indistinct speech. Anyway, by the time I got home much of the mara was over; found a few bits to watch on the internet but couldn't find any pictures of Red, though there was mention of her, so good to have your report, Red. Pity about not breaking your own record. Did you spit a few short words at the spitfire? My son-in-law completed it (his first mara ever) in 4 hours 50 minutes and said it was brutal. I know he was hoping for a quicker time, but expect the heat put him off. 

Later in the day when the sun was lower in the sky I ran 8 1/2 hilly miles in just under 2 hours.

JJ I appreciate that 7 miles is just one run, but the Fetch website does daily updates and as 1 / 365th of a thousand miles is between 2 and 3 miles,  I fall behind by that much every day that I don't run. Didn't run yesterday so despite today's run I am still 2 miles behind target, and by tomorrow that will be 4.

Wabbit, forgive me if I asked you this before, but are you he or she?  

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say: - multi, multi congratulations to Chris.
  • Options

wabbit is a she!

Well done to all in the heat yesterday, I didn't get to watch any as we had a two-day training weekend at our dog club Saturday and Sunday, not nearly as exhausting as running a marathon but I worked with Nemo 5 times on Sat morning and 4 times after lunch. Yesterday was 4 sessions both morning and afternoon. Think everyone learned something, both dogs and handlers.

• Options

Congrats to all who ran yesterday.  'Twas a hot one!

[Looks downwards]

Yep, Columba, it's official I am a SHE image

Ah well, another day another dollar!

Ciau 

• Options

Thanks. It was you Redhead they were talking about as I finished. That Spitfire man nearly hit me going past too. Think I just beat the testicle and one Rhino but frankly not a priority at the time. I just decided to walk as fast as I could and jog a bit at the end and happy really with that. But cant really understand why it was sooo hard. After about 5 I hated it. Then after about 18 thought well defo finishing now and it was painful but kind of ok. Some amazing, amazing support from frieends, family and total strangers. Scary seeing folks dropping out with the St Johns!

JJ thanks, yep met a south African chap who was doing his 100th marathon as penshioner, for all I know half this thread qualify! So onward and upward. Will get training advice later, much later!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Just back from the ultimate "I'll do anything to promote my charity" gig on This Morning - showing my feet on TV for goodness sake!!!!

Along with 3 other marathoners I had special treatments on my feet and we got a bit more publicity for our charities so it can't be that bad. I did, however, see the most revolting feet I have ever seen, on Andy who's running JOGLE at the moment, and will share the photo with you in the next few days. YUK is all I can say right now image

Columba, hope mum is improving.

JJ, it would have been nice to beat my record but it was not the day for it. Never mind, I've already got 2 GWRs, one for crochet and one for knitting so can't complain image

My Garmin measured 27.1 miles yesterday which shows just how much I had to weave around the walkers, In fact, I've never seen so many people walking from so early in the marathon.
  • Options

Columba, I do hope that your Mum recovers her health.

JJ, a very impressive set of splits there!

Red, I saw you on This Morning showing your feet.

I did another interval session this afternoon on forest trails of 12 x 440 yds. with 90 sec jog recoveries, compared with 2 mins. last week. My splits were :- 1.56 1.52 1.52 1.53 1.53 1.54 1.54 1.59 2.10 1.59 1.59 1.55. The 2.10 whch spolt the session was because I was nearing the end of the split which was up hill, and there were a few people with a dog, so in my wisdom, I diverted onto a left hand path which was a big mistake. It was even steeper and had large tree roots sticking up. I almost came to a stop. These sessions are far more challenging than those I used to run on grass and I'm sure are building up my stamina.

• Options

Hi all

My garmin was a bit out also REDHEAD. I think when I finished according to it I ran a little further !! Not that that was great deal to worry about.

We had superman in our starting zone.He went past us fairly early,so I when I caught him up later on I was quite relieved.He was aiming for the world record for the fastest super hero.Luckily enough I had some kryptonite in my pocket.And ,yes they were warm conditions.Still I love doing London and will be back next year again for number 4.Off to Latvia in 5 weeks for another,although that one is a bit more fun and a trip away.London was the biggie.

Anyay,well done to those of you who ran yesterday.

• Options

Hello all,

Just got home from london after a brilliant weekend.

I had entered with the intention of giving it a good go and i'm happy to say i did, i never gave up and ran the whole way. I said in training the predicter was coming up with 5 - 03 to 5 - 10. 

I finished in 5-07-38 bang in the middle of the prediction. I wanted under 5 hours but together with the heat and the number of walkers i had to weave round i could not have done any better, i know in my heart i gave it everything.

The downside was that i did'nt get chance to meet Redhead  image Its perhaps just not meant to be.

Well done all marathon runners at London, i hope to read back later and catch up with the thread.

And i then have just one final thing to say, I have Sheffield half marathon in three weeks time and then OT will call it a day. My road running days will then be over.   

• Options
    Well done OLD TIMER.Great effort.Sorry to see you will be hanging up the running shoes !!
  • Options

Congrats to all VLM runners.

Red I heard  reports of the lady knitting on radio and TV but with no mention of the charity or how to donate or your name. It must be maddening given all the hard work you put in getting the publicity.

Easy six miles yesterday.Ave pace 11:19min/mile

• Options

Hi JJ

Yep,it was pretty warm.Still enjoyed it though.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Very well done Chris, Redhead, Kiwi and OT. Having just read my son-in-law's report on VLM I have enormous respect for anyone who completed it. It was his first ever mara, - he had trained for it but was not prepared for the heat. Said the first half was fine and he was on target but after that "someone took the clouds away" and it got worse and worse. People were collapsing all around him, and he revised his target from "not much more than 4 hours" to "get to the finish without needing St. John's Ambulance".  He felt so bad he said he'll never be able to go through the Isle of Dogs again without feeling ill. At mile 22 he began to feel a bit better, and in the last few yards even managed to overtake someone in an inflatable Sumo wrestler outfit. He finished in 4 hours 50 

Lol - "I just beat the testicle and one Rhino" (Chris) - it could only be VLM!

Red - JOGLE?

Looking forward to the photo of your feet (or am I?)

OT - not really giving up road running? 

Unremarkable three-and-a-bit miles this morning.