Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Thank you Ceal.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning all,

Chouette
    I don't think that at this stage you can be training for a LT test. Just carry on as usual, get some miles in and see------------------------!! TS may suggest differently.

Cathy
    your hill needn't be too steep nor too long. One that you can cope with and are able to run up afap.

MickC
    I 'think' what one is looking for in HR terms is a HR that reaches LT then hovers around there, meaning that one is Lactic acid tolerant. In my race on Sunday, I would notice from time to time that mine would reach the threshold and without changing my effort it would then drop down a beat and if I took my HR above threshold (once when there is a slight rise up near the pier which I pushed up)  again without changing my effort it dropped down a couple of beats when back on flat ground again. It gets harder and harder to take HR up above threshold as one becomes more and more lactate tolerant. TS will correct me if I am wrong on this one!!!! Sorry that you won't be with us for the Jan LFOM

TS
    I hope you had a good ten pin evening following your hash run.

JJ
    is the medication kicking in yet? You may have been brewing this sinusitis for a good while and could be the explanation for your race times which have not come up to your expectations.

Pammie
    good luck for your 800 this pm. Run the first lap like the 1500 then go for it. But of course there are many other ways to run it. The way I suggest would be a safe option and others would say go for it straight away.

~Empty
    well done for getting out there and training on the dreaded hills on your own. Credit due for that one.   

• Options

Pammie - good luck with your races this evening.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I heard from Maggie a couple of times yesterday and they all survived the first day but there are two more two more days to get through yet.
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Morning all

Happy birthday Tracey, enjoy your day image

Pammie hope your 800m race goes well tonight.

Mike T

• Options
    Empty - How is Liz?
  • Options

Happy Birthday Tracey - count me in to your fanclub too.

JJ - I hope you are going to rest properly and take care of yourself so your body can help the antibiotics fight the infection.

Just 3 more days, then the Australian relatives get the key to their rented house. In the meantime, they have bust the freezer, and the 2-year-old has brought the usual bugs home from nursery, so now I've got a sore throat. I'll croak my way through dictating a report this morning, and do a gentle 5 miles this afternoon to get some fresh air.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Lynne
    children are notorious for giving us elders their bugs. The house next door to us is being rented by an Australian family, they move in tomorrow. Are things not good in Australia at the momentt? I can't understand why anybody would want to live in the UK, in our present economic climate or indeed our climate at all.  
  • Options

Morning all

4.07 miles done at 11:36 pace. As I couldn't drag myself out for a run yesterday when it was my day off and found it difficult this morning, I was quite please that i'd done more than the "2.25 miles as a minimum" that I'd considered. 

Lovely sunny morning. Saw lots of seagulls sitting on a playing field, lots flying around on the far side. What was interesting was that they were mostly sitting in a line along the edge of the pitch, very few on the pitch itself except where it was in the shade.

• Options
    The TraceyG Fan Club is a none profit making organisation boasting many members. I have inside knowledge that they are not all confined to this thread. Reports of TraceyG's  kindness to others, generosity of spirit, sense of fun, and aptitude for hard work (17 miles down the A11 anyone?), love of racing and running have spread far and wide.

And she's got great legs!

Happy Birthday darling Tracey
    have a splendiferously wonderful day

Much love, xxxxx
    Sharkie the Popshark
    President and chief publicist  of the TraceyG Fan Club.
  • Options

good morning

HAPPY BRITHDAY TRACEY
    xxxxx

echo Sharkie's excellent totp - obvious who uses an Apple pc innit???

Must dash, back soon - meeting with bank business manager - I think she wants to find out how to survive a rescession!!!!

• Options

Sharkie
    Says it all..............

Love to all who need it.

J

• Options

(((Happy Birthday Tracey)))

and many more to come.

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I wholeheartedly endorse sharkie's totp which is a good description of 'our Tracey'..
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

My run today was one of those that from the start one knows is going to be a no-goer. My heart rate was high in relation to my pace. Nothing I could do about it except keep my effort down. It is a lovely sunny day and the run had that in it's favour. It was a big favour. Sunday's race is not yet recovered from.

Warmup and stretches, I could manage those. First mile wasn't too bad but I just kept getting slower and slowerimage. I was running on empty, and I know a lot of runners do it, but I don't think that did me any favours, it doesn't suit me.

Anyroadup, 9 miles ran, of which 8.23 of them were run in 72 mins av pace 8.46, av HR 132. 

8.13, av HR 124
    8.32, av HR 128
    8.57, av HR 129
    8.51, av HR 130
    8.44, av HR 133
    8.47, av HR 134
    8.45, av HR 135
    9.17, av HR 137
    .23 mile av pace 8.50, av HR 140, MHR 143

• Options

Happy Birthday Tracey - hope you have a lovely day.

JJ - Sorry to hear you're not at your best. It sounds most unpleasant.

MickC - It's me that will need the bike! I'll try to work out a good route in Newcastle which takes in some of the sights while avoiding traffic as much as possible.

ceal - Still running 9 miles when you're below par sounds impressive to me but I can understand your disappointment.

sharkie - Pleased you enjoyed the starling link. I hope to go back and see them again soon.

TS - I'm intrigued to know who this supermodel is now....

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Graham
    not disappointed just accepting!!!
  • Options

back from the gloom of bankers - they were keen to talk to those business customers who had positive balances!!!

Chouette
    Just as Ceal says - train normally for your LT test. Just get as much good quality aerobic work in as possible so that you are being measured on a reasonable base

Now what else did Ceal say for me to comment on???
    Ah yes LT in races to MickC. Yup all good stuff - the pupil is becoming the master/mistressimage

Apart from in races one can go over LT for a period before the build up becomes so great that the body cannot shunt it off to be used elsewhere and then it becomes overload. It is that balance particuilalry in longer races that measn the differnce between continuing at pace or slowing down.

Cathy
    you certainly do not need to run 5 times up the hill for your maxHR test!!!
    Three is quite enough. Also I would suggest that a mile is not enough to fully warm up - do at least two miles starting off really slow and just build up the pace progressively until for the final quarter of a mile you are near your best mile pace. then straight into the hill - it only needs to be 200m at most - flat out. YOu should feel your legs giving out as you approach the end, turn, jog down immediately and repeat , and then repeat again if necessary.
    I suspect you will record your maxHR on the first one anyway but the second will confirm it!!!!

Empty
    that was a good way of varying the hill intervals - looks slightly less daunting than doing 9 reps of the same sodding hill!!!

MickC
    on 400 intervals with 1 min recovery my HR will always get back to about the same level before starting the next - around 100bpm. Cumulatively there would be little difference in avHR per 400m but the latter ones would always be higher with a higher maxHR as well

Ceal
    for a tired lady you still managed 9 miles at a reasonable pace and good avHR which is more than I did

After a briskish 4+ miles last evening which, despite a time of 51 minutes, saw each mile getting my HR up to around 150 briefly as I ran some sections quite hard this morning's recovery 5.1 miles was done in 43:15 and avHR134 (68%WHR) and a max of 149

1m 9:01 hr124 bit of an effort to turn the legs over
    2m 8:11 hr131
    3m 8:32 hr136
    4m 8:30 hr138
    5m 8:59 hr143

just shows how much aerobic development needs to be done image

The 10 pin bowling turned into more like 10 pint drinking as the bowling alley closed early and so we stayed in the very nice pub and I renewed aquaintance with a very nice blonde called Daleside Bitterimage

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    lol to Daleside blondeimage
  • Options

Graham

Linda Evangelista uttered the quote, "We don't wake up for less than $10,000 a day" (often misquoted as: "We don't get out of bed for less than..." or "I don't get out of bed for less than...") Spoken in Vogue (1990) to Jonathan Van Meter.

Now even more misquoted by me .................................................

• Options
    Ceal
    cor you read quicklyimage
  • Options
    ...and one day I will get my HR down to your levels again
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    ---and you!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Now the -and you- looks stupid! Any day soon you will get your HR down ot my levels. My might go up. Surprising how it can knock one's confidence when it is up. it being HR
  • Options
    Cathy - I have never done a maximum heart rate test, but have reach my maximum heart rate in Serpies races. The just about stopping myself from being sick after a race and once I had what felt like a heart beat in my head.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Tracey,
    It 's not easy to get a MHR in a race, as one can be too tired by the end of the race to push hard enough to raise the HR to it's max. But you obviously did. 

What you say about a heart beat in your head reminds me that on Sunday after the race we had to take our chip off our shoe soon after the race finish. When I bent down to take mine off I remember remarking to the guy next to me, who was performing the same task,,  that I thought this action can't be too healthy as I could feel my heart beating hard in my head too.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hot from the press for Strictly watchers.

John Sargeant has decided to leave the show,  his own decision, he is fearful that the public might let him win the compeition. This Saturday will be his last performance.
  • Options

Ceal - I have just read about John Sargeant on the BBC web page. They make a lovely dance couple thou.

I will have to make sure I wear my HR monitor at Serpies next week.

aws - I feel terrible using your number now that you are having problems with your hamstring.

• Options

Tracey G.

A very happy birthday to you and many more of them, have a lovely day.

Torque Steer

Went to attempt again to do Max H.R. test.  Last wk got 153 today got 155. Did not run the 2.5 miles of last week, did 1 mile  ( did not see your post until after I came back) and then actually did 5 hill reps, and managed to jog back down for the first 3 and had to walk back down for the last 2. Have great problems with this metric rubbish 200m I  have figured out it is about 650 ft  which is .12 mile on my Garmin (I think but I may be wrong, - do not want to change Garmin to metric as it is set up for imperial.I know I am old fashioned, but can't change now. Whilst I am on about metric I hope to do my 1500m soon, but what is that in imperial please, I know it is 4 times around the track minus 100m, and if my schedule for 1 mile was 11min 04 secs ( which I did in 11mins 01 secs - still chuffed about that) and my schedule for 1500m is 10 mins 16 secs, what  imperial distance on my Garmin do I have to run to get 1500m, I know I can look at the timer and stop at 10mins 16 secs, but I will not know if I have done this distance, any help on this would be appreciated for the future.

On Friday will try to run for 2 miles starting steady as you say, and then up the speed to my mile time for the last 1/4 mile and then straight up the hill, and jog back down, will attempt 3 times, but will keep eye on readings, but am gettting there it is getting higher. Find it so hard to do 5 up and jog down 5, well I could not do that today, had to walk down the last two, but hey am perservering, will not give up, onwards and upwards, eh.

1 rep = 47 secs = 365 ft  at 11.17 min miling

2 rep = 54 secs = 428 ft at 11.10 min miling

3 rep = 43 secs = 349 ft at 10.46 min miling

4 rep = 43 secs = 347 ft at 10.54 min miling

5 rep = 43 secs = 401 ft at 9.27 min miling

Any help would be appreciated, think i am not running a long enough distance and perhaps as you say too many reps, but am shattered at end, Thanksimage