Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Ceal - you are now listed on the same website as Paula Radcliffe image
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    My foot seems OK so I've decided to do the 10K race this evening. It's a little windy so conditions aren't perfect but I'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your 10k Graham image
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Good luck Graham

Ceal - thanks for your advice. Will take on board your suggestions. I'll get back tomorrow with a run. We were supposed to be doing an all-nighter tonight but its been cancelled. Last night tonight but today i'm in a decluttering mood getting rid of heaps,

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Thanks ladies. The adrenaline's already pumping and it doesn't start until 7:15. I love races!

Tracey - Your fartlek session yesterday sounded a good one and very enjoyable. Can't beat a bit of variety.

Pammie - I'm sure your get-up-and-go will come back. Maybe it's just a reaction to all those miles you did recently and you needed a break. 

• Options

http://alanshelley.co.uk/images/minis/gerberanim04.gif

Ceal - If  you look at Jocelyn's link on the rankings page you find her event history and you will see that she ran the 10000m in July '89 as a V60. That tells you she must have been a V65 by '93 at the latest, and indeed she ran the 5000m as a V65 in August of that year. That was the year she set her 3000 record in what could have been her first year as a V65. We also find that she ran as V65 in 1994, so I think that's good enough evidence that at the time of her record she was younger than you are now. So double honour to you, so there!!!!!

al

• Options

Graham - Don't get in too much of a stew. Relax and keep telling yourself it's only a smidgen over 6 miles and you can do that in your sleep. Stay cool, man!

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

aws
    thanks, you are a  good detective!

Graham
    Good Luck this evening. I hope conditions are to your liking. Look forward to hearing about the race.

I have been 'off-air' since lunch time, broadband problems now I have masses of emails to catch up with. Plus all the other stuff that one uses one's computer for!  

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

aws - Thanks. It's adrenaline in a good way really. I'm not doing a Corporal Jones, honest!

Ceal - Thanks to you too.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Graham - just go and enjoy your race and have fun, that what it is all about image
  • Options

Graham,

If I am not too late,  good luck with your 10k this evening.  Nice time of the day to race I always reckon!

Ceal,

I looked at your link to the 3k record listing with great pride to see your name at top of the tree image All those years that has elapsed without record being broken and you beat it so convincingly.  I feel so highly honoured to be on the thread with youimage

Have decided to go for the Burton 10 on Sunday.  I did this 2 years ago when it rained and blew a gale, apparently it was rainy for last year's too according to one of the organisers. This time may be a bit of a contrast weather wise.   I am nowhere near pb pace so shall be happy to get round and use this race as a benchmark for next year.

• Options

As part of a taper for this week I ran 5.3 miles as a " fast" mile sandwich.
    On the first mile which was the warmup  I spotted a big animal ahead which was trying to jump the 6ft high wire fence and even tried to run through it !  As I approached I could see it was a deer typically timid, it was panic-ing  this way and that and when it saw me galloped away and disappeared around the corner towards the park.  This is not an area noted for deer being around,  so don't know why it was there, I have never in 6 years seen one when out training.

1 mile 10.45  (slowed in middle to watch that deer)  Avrh. 112.   Max  124
    2nd mile 9.48                                                                        "     122.     "      131
    3rd mile  8.48 (TS "rough" straight)                                  "      139     "       148
    4th mile  10.06                                                                      "      127    "        149
    5th mile  10.12(constant slow w/down)                           "      124    "        132

Dodged any showers but still had nuisance wind,  head on in 3rd mile.

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Graham hope you 10k has gone well.

Good training runs from Ceal and Impey.

Lunchtime we went out to the country pub that we had thought of taking Hannah to for her birthday meal, had a lovely relaxing meal but came to the conclusion that it really wasn't a younger persons menu. Stopped off at another pub that we regularly run past on our Sunday morning runs an have decided to book there, it'll just be a Sunday carvery but I'm sure different to the carvery chain establishments.  

Tonight was the second of our runs round the ladies 5m course so 7.46mi in 1.04.16, ave 8.37, ave HR 137, wHR 68%.

Mike T

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I didn't feel tired, I just wanted a session that didn't make me feel tired. What I was conscious of was that my legs couldn't possible have recovered properly from Monday night as it was only 36 hours since I had raced. They were just fine to run short fast bursts. If I had taken my training into LTT then this would have made me tired. My body wasn't ready for that yet. I did know that, and feel I was sensible not to do so.

Glad you enjoyed your day. We looked for you on the BBC Show this evening. But you weren't spotted.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Good Morningl

JJ
    did you visit the seafood bar/restaurant or am I muddling Chelsea with Hampton Court?

Empty
    Hope the choice of restaurant turns out to be good one, I am sure it will. Where is it? 

Impey
    All the best for the Burton 10 miler. That was a good pace for your 3rd mile. I think you did the unexpected deer a service when I sped away from you. I don't like to see wild animals panicking.

Tracey
    Unfortunately Paula is not on the same lists that I will join. The list appertaining to my events are on the Masters Record List. However, both Donna Fraser and Linford Christie head a couple of the sprint events, so that will do me!!! It will just be my luck if someone else runs 3000 m's faster than me before I even get put on the list at all. image 

It is  gym  day today so I probably won't run today, so that my legs will be able to cope with a speedy session tomorrow.
  • Options
    http://alanshelley.co.uk/images/minis/daisyanim01.gif

Good Morning

5.09M; 59:14; 11:38/M; hr150 m157
    11:42 147 154
    11:46 151 155
    11:59 152 156
    11:46 152 156
    11:18 148 156

5 miles, just go for it, no, start brisk and build it up throughout using HR. Well it started out OK and worked sort of, for the first 3 miles then hit a plateau in mile 4 and fell off it in the last mile. At least that's what the HR readouts told me, then when I got back the mile paces told a different story, slowing down for miles 1 to 3 then speeding up again in the last two; at least it reflects my efforts to get the HR up at the end that ended by achieving a 24sec negsplit and a sub-59 5M.

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws
    You seem to get better with each run. I hope that you are doing the May LFOM. 
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Photo of me running the 3000 m's on Monday night. Note the gloves and merino wool top. I wore my hair lose and one can see the wind as it has blown my hair off my face. I think the photo was taken coming out of one of the bends.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/cealmorrison/Britishrecord.jpg

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

This was taken after the race and I had put some cover on my legs. I can't say I enjoy looking at photo's of myself whilst running. But as that is what I do, I have no option!!!

Victory

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/cealmorrison/britishrecordsalutation.jpg

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

You will all be pleased to hear that I will shut up about Monday Night very soon.

But I have just remembered one thing that I forgot to mention. During the later stages of the race I overtook a friend of my daughter's from school. She has always been involved in Athletics as long as I can remember and has/is a good competitor. I finished 2 secs in front of her. That gave me great satisfaction. I didn't see her afterwards, so hope she wasn't upset. I do mean that.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Ceal - You allowed to talk about your 3,000m British Record on here as long as you wish. It is a big acheivement for you and we would all be excited if it was one of us. Make sure you print out that page with you as the British Record holder for your age group.
  • Options

http://alanshelley.co.uk/images/minis/yellwdaisyanim07.gif

Ceal - I couldn't get a place in May LFOTM, Malcolm says it's filled right to the very last ticket.

I love the picture of you running; the look of determination on your face betrays why you won, it's far more pronounced than the expressions of  the others in the group; and in the "victory" shot your face has a great split from ear to ear which is just as it should be, your pleasure is as great as your determination was.

Great photos. If you never run another step you can still treasure them forever.

al

Superb double totp BTW !!!!!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Thanks aws, I agree with your last para completely and had in-fact already said as much. .
  • Options

Ceal
    Regarding the excitement of Monday night -  Tracey and aws both express it so well. I agree wholeheartedly with them. I wish there was MORE fuss! It's a huge achievement. At least on this thread we are all aware of that. 

aws Your runs recently do seem to be reaping the rewards of all that mara training. I do hope they will translate into some smashing race times for you. Bet they will! Betcha! No pressure then as TS might say.

Is said hard taskmaster very busy at the moment? He has been conspicuous by his almost absence.

BTW, Cjouette (mm, rather Spanish spelling there!) is racing today. Good luck, tiny speeedy owl!

• Options

I'm a bit late with my congratulations to ceal, having been absent from the thread for a fews days again, but what FANTASTIC  news to return to! That really is the most amazing improvement on the previous record, and the photos are great. I quite agree that the look of concentration is very striking .

Thanks to Maggie for the update on K2 - any more news on how she is getting on?

MT - two twenty-firsts! Hope you have been saving up. Will it be an extended family lunch out?

JJ, will watch how your new training regime goes with interest. Glad the gum feels better now.

Hope Graham ran well last night, and that Chouette has a good race today.

impey - nice 'mile sandwich' with a pacey mile tucked in the middle.

Shame aws couldn't get in for May's LFOTM, as others have remarked, you are reaping the benefits of the dedicated marathon training, and running really well.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Thanks all of you. I am always conscious that I may seem like I am boasting or showing-off and I do hope that I am not guilty of either of those mis-qualities.

sharkie
    thanks for reminding us of Chouette's race today, and I know she has another one on Sunday. I have everything now crossed for her. She deserves to do well.

On another topic altogether.

It is Stewart's B'day today, and the fridge is bulging with food that tickles/tantalises the palette and which of course contain LOTS of calories. But there will be some  yum yum to be consumed  this evening.

Also at the weekend I tried on my first 'frock' for my son's wedding. He actually saw the dress and liked it very much and was cross with me because I didn't' buy it. He said impulse buying is good!! But it was the first dress I had tried on so I didn't. It was in my price range.

On Monday morning, I went to a shop just off the A3 which I had been recommended to me by a friend. I did try on several dresses (none of which I wanted to afford), a couple of them looked stunning and fitted me so well and were very comfortable and made me look a million dollars, that doesn't happen too often, BUT there was no way I was going to spend the sort of money they wanted for the dresses.

I am going to the Gym after lunch via a shop in Weybridge to see what they have to offer me.    

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Diana
    thanks. Last heard from K2 was that she was enjoying herself and the running was ok so far.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Yes, where is Graham.

Must go and lunch now.