Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Pammie
    Good news about your mum.

Club run tonight.  Didn't want to launch straight into the next group and there were a couple of faster ones in our back group so stuck with that. It ended up as two small groups and five of us will all move into the next group in two weeks (I'm Prom-ing next week).  Safety in numbers.  So..............

5.21 miles in 54:59, av 10:33 (includes stops and slow buts, etc) so quite pleased.

11:45  (with new lady)
      9:49 
      9:58   (doubled back to look for others so a bit slower pace)
    10:59  
    10:28
    10:42  (0.21 miles)

• Options

Pammie,

That is good news.

JJ,

I've only managed 11 miles in 4 days (2 days nrds)  but it doesn't bother me  image

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Ceal well done on the Tri time. Butterfly I was OK on for 50m but concentrated too much on backstroke to any better.

aws great run, your longer stride length paid dividends and obviously stopped OMS in it's tracks.

Pammie great news about Mum.

Sharkie, I should be there for LFOTM - bad nes is I'm no. 5 so will be chasing Ray round on the A start.

Bad couple of days in the Taylor household.

Firstly Liz was taken into hospital yesterday evening onto the surgical assessment ward to see if they could get to the bottom of her stomach problems. So far an x-ray has proved inconclusive so waiting to see what there plans are for tomorrow.

Today I failed to get appointed in my own job role, numbers reduced from 4 to 2 so two of use were bound to be disappointed. Haven't had the feed back yet so don't know the reasons  but it could be an interesting meeting. So technically now from 2nd November I'll be given notice and put on the at risk register where they will try and match me to a job during my notice period - just have to wait see what happens.

The good news that the new mental approach is working so far and no dip back towards the depression - prefer not to have tested it this way but t is good to know.

Looks like I won't get a run in until Saturday and therefore it looks like I'll be well and truely undercooked for  Sunday's half.

Mike T

• Options

Empty,

Hope hospital manage to get to the root of Liz's stomach problem.  And it sounds  a bit tough for you in the work situation, hopefully things will turn out better. 
    Race-wise, maybe it could be better to be "undercooked" as you describe rather than the other way roundimage

K2,

Good club run.  Thats trouble with running in groups,  I have found my mile times don't look very good when looking at the run data later even though it always seemed to be hard going !

• Options

Morning all.

Empty - Hope they can sort out Liz's stomach promblem fast. Tell her that I am thinking of her x

• Options

Pammie - Glad your Mum's going home.

MT - Sorry to hear of Liz's problem, I pray it's soon sorted, and also your work situation. I know what it's like, been there, done that - the uncertainty that is, not having to re-apply for my own job. That's tough.

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    In brief.

Empty
    I am so sorry to hear of your further problems. Job could work out to your benefit in the end. But sorry to hear about Liz, like others I hope they get to the bottom of it.

No more time for posting at the moment, but I have read through the posts.  
  • Options

Morning all

Empty
    Sorry to hear about Liz's problems. Hope they can soon get things sorted out.
    Also sorry to hear about your job situation but glad that the new mental approach seems to be doing the trick.
    I do think it's easy to overdo training before a race. A slightly longer rest than planned won't make much difference - fresh legs!

• Options

Good morning

5.2M; 1:00:12; 11:35/M; hr149 m162
    11:45 145 152
    11:37 150 154
    11:57 152 158 found I'd let the stride length slip
    11:55 150 157 same again
    11:24 149 159 got it back again

Can't have two performances like yesterday's on the trot.

al

• Options

good morning

two days away - lots to catch up on.

Empty
    they were not  good daysimage
    I do hope Liz is soon on the mend. Good news is that you are coping well . The sort of hammer blows you get would defeat many others.
    You will lose absolutely nothing in overall pace with a slightly reduced build up

Pammie
    good news about your Mum - I hope she soon settles back into life at home.

Pussy
    I am not connected with agriculture but I spent some time at a dinner recently in the Lake District talking to an upland sheep farmer so I now know a bit about Herdwicks - and the chef told me quite a bit about cooking them!!
    I also have a couple of friends who are quite big in Defra whom I often mock about them having to implement CAP "initiatives"

Diana
    Tractor is very good thanks - it's a big 'un!!! This is beginning to sound like an agricultural bent!
    My favourite thermals to wear as base layers are still my old Helly Hansons which are absolutely skin tight ( I may have expanded a bit to fill them!!) but still provide excellent movement and give after many years service

Chouette
    Did you peep?? How did you know I had my wet orange NB top onimage??

Columba
    a run by the sea sounds idyllic until one finds just how tough the going underfoot can be. I know that stretch quite well having run there in the past!!
    How does one stretch 400's you asked??
    Well each interval has, or should have, a specific purpose behind running it. Longer intervals such as miles or K's are run to improve high end lactate threshold levels and make the body more efficient  at tolerating race conditions
    Shorter intervals such as 400 or 200's are designed specifically to put the body under immediate lactate stress and high levels of HR to improve lactate dispersal and improve aerobic efficeincy. So if one runs 400's too slow the principle aim/benefit of doing them is lost (one may as well run Ks or miles) as the body does not get the HR up high enough and then the recovery period allows it to drop down again and nearly all the next 400 is used getting it back up again instead of starting already with a very high HR.
    hence stretching 400s means running them harder rather than making the distance longerimage

JJ
    car park steps - ideal knee knackering!!

aws
    It's supposed to be a hard day followed by an easy day - not two hard days in a row!!!
    Nice to see you found a photo of me doing butterfly

Ceal
    well done on Tri result - that was still a very good time for the run and an excellent result for the family
    Your 5K was a race rather than a training run!!!! 22:31 and avHR149 with a max of 161 - gulpimage!!

• Options

aws - It is still a good pace image

We are of to Brighton for our Beachy training weekend. Bernard training on Saturday and I will be doing the Jog Shop Jog 20 on Sunday image Hope you all have a great weekend and speak to you on Sunday evening.

• Options
    PussyPussy ✭✭✭

Hi All,

JJ - agree about cooking mutton. All day in a slow oven. Car Park run? Does anyone get run over?

Mick6 - I am sure we would all love to know the reason for your banned number plate.

Impey - keeping fingers crossed that the GP runners don't displace you. You deserve the reward. My weekly miles are also quite low at the moment but enough to give a useful base to build on (sorry pedants: `enough of a base on which to build').

Columba - yes, wool is being discarded. It is being used quite imaginatively for other products as you say, but can't compete on price with oil-based alternatives. Maybe you should walk past your neighbours, then they can't accuse you of the J word.

Ceal - good Tri. Are you hooked? Offers good crosstraining at the same time as being competitive - so has its attractions. Thanks for comment on intercostal muscles - always nice to have reasons for why we feel the way we feel!

AWS - interesting observation re. stride length. Keep us informed.

K2 - nice outfit. Look forward to seeing you run in it! I tend to go with a slower group when I need a recovery run and with a faster group when I want a tempo run.

Pammie - pleased to hear Mum going home I am sure that will be easier for you as well.

Empty - a pain of a week but a huge result for you to find you have coped mentally. And look at the positive side of your race - you will have fresh legs. Good luck with it.

• Options

No run Wednesday though I xtrained with g'children
    yesterday I zoomed past Brizzie down to Wiltshire - having to resist the siren calls of K2's bar and kettle as I did 570 miles in the day in glorious sunshine and perfect driving conditions managing to avoid all the bottlenecks by leaving at 0500!!

So "rested" after two non run days I decided to try some miles reps just to see where I was. Cool and dull morning but still clad in tee shirt and shorts, being a hard man of the north, I ran to my usual spot on the West Park Stray to do them

1.25m 11:00min  avHR120 warm up
    1.00m   6:47:22 min  avHR151 (82%WHR) maxHR 157 (86%WHR)
    0.25m   3:00min active recovery
    1.00m   6:49:57 min avHR152 (82%WHR) maxHR 160 (87%WHR)
    0.25m   3:00 min active recovery
    1:00m   6:49:59 min avHR152 (82%WHR) maxHR 163 (90%WHR)
    1.25m  12:40 min avHR 132 cool down

Nothing left to do any more after the third mile rep - indeed my legs were buckling with 400m to go

Welcome back to the house of pain.........................................

• Options
    Pussy
    slow cooked on a bed of rosemary sprigs after rubbing the mutton all over with a mix of olive oil, ground black pepper, salt  and crushed garlic................................................image
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Chouette - if it weren't for Aws's later explanation of OMS I'd be speculating on whether it should have been IOMS (Immediate Onset Muscle Soreness). 

Aws - don't old women shuffle? (That would be OWS, nearly Aws...) No, they're more likely to limp because more prone than men to arthritis. That would be OWL, then.

Wonderful butterfly pic. Wonder if he stings like a bee, as well.

MickC - redlining? (I always seem to be asking for explanations)

TS - well, I certainly got a full explanation from you of stretching 400s. Am now wondering whether I'm taking too long a rest between my modest little 3x400 attempts. Sometimes walk around for 2 minutes, sometimes don't time it but just set off again when I feel capable.

K2 - outfit sounds lovely. Just as long as the rest f you doesn't join the red shoes under the table image.

MT - galling when you're not appointed to your own job, but you seem to be coping remarkably well.

Ran 4 times round the town lake today in 30 mins 17 seconds, which is my fastest yet, so feeling very pleased.  Laps of lake broke down into 7m 10, 7m 38, 7m 52, 7m 37.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good Morning,
    The weather here is the pits, very grey and wet.

JJ,
    Well done on your 400s, now we are talking, what were your recoveries.

Columba,
    Redlining - what JJ calls eyeballs out but what for me, being an engineer, is greater than 90% of my WHR.

TS,
    your recoveries were great to get the minHR the same at the start of each interval, maybe 3 mins was too long.

MT,
    Wow, life really socks it to you, take out that stress with a good aggressive race and leave it that bad stuff on the course.

Off for a long recovery run in the rain and wind. We have two daughters at home for Thanksgiving and they are commandeering my car and their mum has the other so I am down to the bonnie in the wet to get to my run. I am running with a friend on a new route he wants to try. I don't mind riding in the rain but the bike gets more than a little dirty.

Mick(uncensored by the DOT)

• Options

Columba
    You guessed my plan!

........................... and what I, being a slow and highly non-competitive, call cba.

Only joking.

And, while we're on the subject - when we were warning up last night one of the guys told me (in a very nice way) I wasn't skipping properly. "Hey man, you dissin' ma skippin'?" I replied and showed him how to skip like a girl.

I can't believe I'm going in for competitive skipping now.  image

• Options

K2
    competitive skipping - way to goimage!!

MIck6
    Thanks for comments - it took me 3 minutes to cover the 1/4 mile back to the start!. HR at the beginning of each was a round 120 sso I wasn't hanging around too much

JJ
    see my notes to Columba on the reasons why one runs different sorts of intervals.
    Mile intervals require high levels of lactic dispersal which I do not get from aerobic running - hence the buckling legs.

Columba
    ell done on your run today - it's always good to see progress being made in training.
    400's really are the  icing on the cake of running preparation when done hard!! I normally have a 1minute rest between 400's as the purpose is to keep the HR up and not fully recover!
    I would suggest you try and do longer, faster stretches in your runs first, say one lap of the lake, when you step the pace up quite noticably, recover on the next, then another faster effort. That will give you the not unpleasant sensation of running faster but without the stress imposed on the body that 400s can bring when run hardimage

• Options

Chouette Glad you like the veg/vegan thread. Even though I'm neither I found it useful, informative and entertaining. The brilliant thing being that it's written by runners - some of whom are pretty good. I've been unconvinced by tofu in the past but Vrap's recipes and recommendations mean I will give it anther go.

TS I thought that was an excellent explanation of short reps (200-400) you wrote earlier. But I will never find 400 metres short. Not now! Your mile reps look fast btw.

More responses later...

As for me, yesterday was a bit action packed. Pilates sandwiched in the middle of a hilly 4 mile walk, then as follows:

We turned up at the allocated meeting spot for our hill session a couple of minutes early and found the convenient car park. The directions had been clear enough, we were sure we had the right place but no-one was about. After texting me to say she was running late but on her way, the QOP arrived. We've been encouraging the Queen of Pain* to join our sprint group as she is getting tired of trying to keep up with the Under 17s super speedy middle distance gang at track twice a week.

Ten to fifteen minutes passed. We walked up and down what we presumed was Hill One a couple of times and began to worry. Felt a bit guilty for rushing the QOP who had force fed her four year old his tea in the car before delivering him to friends for an hour or two.

A few un-responded to texts later and not a minute too soon we located our group in the car park the other side of the road. Behind a thick hedge and wall to be fair to us.

Everyone else was ready to start the reps so after chucking our bags in Pete's boot we were off up the first hill. Perhaps it was because we missed any sort of warmup, perhaps it was because the recoveries were no messing around but the session did seem extraordinarily short:

Just 4 reps of:

Sprint up steep 100 metre slightly twisting path, walk down a gentler 200m path (but with a couple more bends) - turn round and run straight back up. A few seconds hauling for breath then walk down the steep 100 metre bit and repeat...

The hardest part was a final turn on the 200 hill just when you thought it was all over. I actually managed to catch someone on this stretch a couple of times. I wasn't too far behind on the steeper 100ms - but then short and sharp is usually easier for me.

Mr S. has been injured and the first steep 100m at speed and with no warm up instantly aggravated the dodgy area, and as the QOP is also on the way back after injury she took decisive action and dragged him off for a 400m jog - so they both missed the following 200m. Wise move though.

I was somehow ok with no warm up. Good job there was nothing further than 200 metres.

Cool down with a brisk 600m jog - which I finished in - ahem - style. Honest.
    Whole thing done and dusted in half an hour. Felt I could have done more reps but was glad there weren't any as it's been a full on few days training wise.

Bit of a recovery day today. I probably need it.

*our fantastic 28 year old massage therapist, single mum, chicken keeper, Party Girl Extraordinaire and pretty decent and committed runner.

• Options

Thanks for the comments on wearing merino very tight - mine did feel quite comfortable, so may wear it in anger tonight - weather looks miserable enough for me to appreciate it!

ceal, great result for the Tri, and good luck to the S-i-L with his marathon training.

Aws, a really good faster run, and another perfectly acceptable but slower one. Great photo of the butterfly swimmer - amazing muscle definition in his shoulders.

Columba, your training is really moving up to a new level.

Pammie, hopefully your mum is now safely home.

JJ, ipressive 6 days running of running. Car-parl work-out sounds like hard work, and no nice scenery to distract you!

TS, speedy miles there.

K2, outfit sounds good.

MT, really tough few days for you and yours. I do hope things pick up again soon. As others have said, maybe you will find an alternative role that is actually an improvement on your current job.

• Options

4 x 800m and a 400m to finish on Wednesday. We did the 800s in about 4 minutes 10 seconds, with a couple of minutes recovery. A 400 to finish in about 1:56 I think. Luckily didn't get drowned. After a day of heavy rain, it eased off as we set out, then we got a penetrating drizzle from about half way through, but were pretty warm by then, so it was ok.

Seems likely that I will get pretty wet this evening.

Have spent the day with daughter and the two grandsons. Little one is now up to 8lb 2oz, so growing well.

• Options
    Diana That's a good session missis!
  • Options
    Pammie Good to have Mum home, hope she's feeling much better.

Empty Oh rats and assorted other rodents. Another bucketful. Respect to you for coping well.

JJ Your 400s sound suitably tough. Suitable for speed improvement that is. Well done you.
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

GOOD EVENING

A bit behind as been busy working late it seems everyone is flying really impressive workouts.

JJ---Car park run sounds pretty tough,really good 400s 

T/S---Those mile reps were really good as pace was fast and recovery was spot on

Sharkie--What were the times for your hill reps?

Diana d ---Excellent 800s pace judgement has to be right to get through workout well done

Myself i ran 4miles  last night i think in about 45mins took a newcomer out,sorry if i missed your workout anyone i apologise have a good weenkend all and will tell you how i fair in tiptree 10miler on sunday.

good luck to those who are racing
                                                     ray  

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Thanks to all regarding my mum she's home and comfy and looking forward to a good nights sleep she didn't sleep well while there too much coming and going and thats just the other patients som interesting women there as well you got to know them a bit as well.

Empty - sorry to hear about Liz, hope they can find a soltion. Sorry to hear about you job wise as well Wishing you a positive result

Evening

Busy day today - first chance to get on here since early morning

Mum was released this morning so we went over to get her. Released is the right word though the hospital will say discharged mum said its like being in prison, though she's never been in one

Had to do some shopping, received a cheque for the money back we had to pay the drainage companies for our water problem a few weeks back which proved fruitless

Yesterday while having a tidy/clear out found a lydiard book i thought i lost

Tomorrow i am going to a party that i didn't think i would be able to make due to its location but early hours of Thursday morning found i could get a lift

Thats 4 pieces of good news.

Didn't get out for a run till 6pm it was drab, cold, wet, but best run i have had in quite a while averaging 10 min miles

mile splits - 10:22, 9:48, 9:48 and last bit 10:03 pace

Back later

• Options

Glad you managed a run with everything else going on today, Pammie, and that Pammie WILL go to the party! We are being taken out for dinner at a really nice Thai restaurant tomorrow by friends, as OH helped put all their garden furniture & a gazebo together. Good news that he does the work and I share the reward!

Didn't get too wet after all. I was also cosy in my new merino top, which was very comfortable. Ran on gravel trails through the forest, and it felt as though 80% of the route was uphill, which it probably couldn't have been. Pleased with the pace - you can see where there were definite uphills, rather than what felt like uphill! Average pace 9:38, total distance 6.06 miles
    1)  - 0.62m - 6:06(9:50/m) - 146bpm avge  - 186bpm max - HR spikes
    2)  - 0.62m - 6:13(10:02/m) - 138bpm avge  - 153bpm max
    3)  - 0.62m - 5:39(9:07/m) - 138bpm avge  - 150bpm max
    4)  - 0.62m - 5:55(9:33/m) - 138bpm avge  - 154bpm max
    5)  - 0.62m - 5:40(9:09/m) - 146bpm avge  - 153bpm max
    6)  - 0.62m - 6:33(10:34/m) - 152bpm avge  - 157bpm max
    7)  - 0.62m - 5:44(9:15/m) - 151bpm avge  - 154bpm max
    8)  - 0.62m - 5:29(8:51/m) - 136bpm avge  - 153bpm max
    9)  - 0.62m - 6:28(10:25/m) - 149bpm avge  - 160bpm max
    10)  - 0.47m - 4:38(9:52/m) - 151bpm avge  - 154bpm max