Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
HI,I'VE RUN IN THE NYC MARATHON TWICE NOW AND I STILL CAN'T MANAGE TO GET A GREAT TIME.THE WEATHER HAS BEEN SUNNY AND VERY WARM FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS.THE MANHATTON SHOPPING AND THE TOURISM EXPERIENCE IS EXCELLENT AND CAN BE A VERY BIG DISTRACTION,ESPECIALLY FOR THE FIRST TIMERS.

Comments

• Options
    I did that in 2005 - went shopping for Scotalnd the day before and was knackered for the race - got a rubbish time. Plus - it's not exactly scenic - acres of concete,dodgy looking apartment blocks, fire escapes and petrol stations (very foreign looking and where exactly was the grass, don;t they have that in New York)- apart from the first mile and the last bit in the park of course. Don't think I would want to do it again.
  • Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi GB you're right about the grass.To be quite honest I wasn't looking for grass.The London marathon is by far better than NYC in my opinion.The charity I was running for paid for both my trips to NYC so I grabbed the opportunity.This year iam paying to go.It is not because I love the NYC, it's because I have a score to settle with my PB.
  • Options
    I was thinking of having a go this year. What's the best way of entering, regards cost and guaranteed entry?

Advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    There are a few ways:You can approach a charity like SENSE for instance.I was looking at the website http://www.sense.org.uk/support/events/list/running/nymarathon.htm,you have to guarantee a minimum amount of sponsorship £1500 and pay £ 300 deposit.You can pay for your trip and then represent a chosen charity and depending on how much you raise you will get certain rebates eg if you raised £800 you can get the price of your flights back and if you raised more then you can get your accomodation payed for also etc.You can also doit on package tour where you can pay to go and you are guaranteed entry but that is really expensive.£950 for 4 nights all in.You can choose 3,5,6,7 days also.You can also get a guarnteed place and flight which is a lot cheaper but you have to find your own accomodation.All this can be done with a company called sports tours international.Then last of all you can always gamble on the ballot entry which is risky if you really,really want to go.
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    'New York is a killer. I did it two years ago. You have to get to the start so early as they close the bridge to traffic, so there is a great deal of hanging round. The course is quite tough with some nasty insidious hills, especially over the bridges. The wide streets can be very dispiriting, especially running with the sun in your eyes. On the up side, it seems as if the whole city has been told to be on its best behaviour the weekend of the marathon, and after the race people pass you in the streets and say "Hey, congratulations." It is a great city to spend a few days. I've got PB entry for New York this year, but, on the whole, I preferred Chicago, and it is much easier to get in to. If you're struggling to get in to New York, sign up for Chicago. The city has lots of surprises for the visitor. You won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, Rowan, Pamela.

The charity way looks good but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle.

I just the missus a horse so maybe she owes me a trip to NY, and go with the package deal.
  • Options
    I was hoping to have the auto qualifying time, however, not a achance now, so.. looks like I'm going to have to go the charity route.
  • Options
    Ok it is not an easy course and the weather has been v warm the last 2 years but as an event you just can't fault it. A fantastic atmosphere, great organization and last year it felt like the whole population of NY was on the streets supporting. The crowds were huge on 1st Avenue and a decent time is still possible. I wouldn't miss the NYCM - it is a truly great event.
  • Options
    Hi Paul a
    Hope you are well
    Am still sore after running Paris this weekend, but am now looking to my next marathon - New York, can't wait!
    Glad to see from previous post that you think it's possible to run a decent time in New York, I've heard it's a toughie!
    :-)
  • Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi Daisy D,welcome.How was Paris and how did you do?
  • Options
    Hi Rowan S
    Paris was great. Ran 3hrs 39mins, very pleased. Giving body a well earned rest now but looking forward to New York very much!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Greetings from Kabul in Afghanistan. I am a Civil Servant working for the Ministry of Defence and I'll be here until August. I'm training for my 4th NYM - not easy because I'm living in a fortified Camp and the perimeter fence (which I run round) is just under 1K! So, I'm getting used to running round in circles. On London Marathon Sunday (23 Apr) I am organising the Kabul Half-Marathon meaning we have to run 23 laps of the Camp!

As for New York! Yes, it's big, it's brash, it's great .... but it's hard! If you are doing it - make sure you do the training and get plenty of long runs in! You have long waits at the start, the course is tough and don't forget the jet lag if you are there just for the weekend. I made the mistake in 2004 of walking all over Manhattan the day before the race and was knackered by race day. So, seriously treat this marathon with RESPECT and ENJOY.

Good Luck.

Tony
  • Options
    Hi Tony,

You must be dizzy running round in ever decreasing circles - I admire your dedication. I think that most people have been caught out by sightseeing overload the day before the New York Marathon, and also do not take the time difference into consideration. I think the wait at the start really did me in, especially after a lousy night's sleep. I think it is probably one of those events that you do better second time round. I'll be thinking of you on the 23rd. It sounds like something from 'It Ain't Alf 'Ot Mum.' Daisy. Congratulations on your time for Paris. What was the organization like of the event? I've heard it is a stunning course, with iffy organization. What did you think?
  • Options
    Well I've just entered online, so here's hoping I get picked in the lottery... if not, it's the charity route!
  • Options
    I've entered too. Will just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Hope you get in Pugheaven and WYR...fingers crossed.

Best of luck next weekend Tony. Thanks for info on New York.

Pam, I couldn't fault Paris on both the course and organisation. Had a great weekend, the course was indeed stunning and it has fab pb potential.
    Are you doing New York this year?
  • Options
    I'm preying I do, as I'm on my honeymoon at the time, and the whole of this year is all tailored to this race!
  • Options
    OMG...honeymoon!!
    My husband would have gone nuts. My honeymoon was two years ago and he forbid me to pack my trainers. I found it tough not running for 2 weeks.
    Good for you though, start as you mean to go on!
    Fingers are still crossed for you...
    When will you find out if you have a place?
  • Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,good luck in the the ballot,pughaven and WYC.I went the package tour route to guarantee entry.This will be my third outing.I wont jump the gun with the NYCM as I have the small matter of the FLM next Sunday Then after thatI can see my way clear and be totally focused on the next marathon.
  • Options
    Dear All NYC is a good marathon ran it last year in very warm conditions 76 degrees 96% humidity and struggled a bit (it snowed two weeks latter).

Lacks a bit of atmostphere but the highlights were just after mile 16 as you reach First Avenue an awesome sight, bobbing heads as far as you can see and Central Park is a grand finale. Be prepared to for a bit of a wait at the end baggage reclaim is very hectic.

Given the travelling distance its a long way to go and not see the sights so look after your legs.
  • Options
    Daisy D:
    Think it's mid May before you know whether your in, then it'll be a charity jobbie instead.

The missus is okay about it, it won't take over the honeymoon, we get there on the Wednesday, then the Sunday is the race. So leave plenty of time for err... "other" things ;-)
  • Options
    Interesting about Paris. I may look at it for next year. I ran NY two years ago, and I've already got a place this year on the basis of my PB times, (although not from NY, where I did a dreadful time). I tried to get in last year on PB time, and was 17 seconds out!! So, I went to Chicago instead, which was excellent. Don't shop for anything until you go there. They always have handbag sales to die for, and cashmere is always cheaper than here. The marathon interrupts the shopping!! Good art galleries too.
  • Options
    Pugheaven, glad you stopped there, almost too much information!
    Pam, that's fantastic, I can only dream of getting a guaranteed place based on my pb time.
    Is Chicago a marathon for 'quick' runners only or can anyone apply?
  • Options
    Anyone can apply. It really is a good one. It is a city full of surprises. Good organization, and, like NY, the city is told to be on its best behaviour. The Chicago Philharmonic Orchestra on the Saturday has a succession of free concerts which are really worth going to. It is flat, with good PB potential. It is definitely a great alternative to NY. (They give you beer at the end - very civilised!)
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    OOPS. (I've changed my name to Exhausted, because that's how I feel) Chicago Symphony I meant, not Chicago Philharmonic. Off to London Marathon expo in a minute. Any of you running on Sunday? Best of luck if you are.
  • Options
    Pam, oh sorry, exhausted, didn't realise you are running London. Good luck, have a good one. Are going for a particular time?
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Better than 3.32, but I don't think I'll do it because of the number of people running. Still Exhausted!
  • Options
    03:32? That's what I did at Paris and was gutted, was hoping for around 03:10-03:15
  • Options
    Exhausted, sub 3.32 sounds great to me! Hope you manage it. Enjoy London.
  • Options
    Apparently Lance Armstrong is.