Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hey all...did another 3.5 miles on Saturday and felt great.. my knee held out without a problem... 20 mins tonight... Kick Boxing Tues and Thurs with a 5/6 miler Friday.. hopefully keep going..

PS I want to be on T.V. perhaps if I am last I might make it...

Charlotte.. keep going and well done.. Pug you have to aim to win... You may make the highlights then...

Getting excited now..
  • Options
    PS My photo is awful....
  • Options
    Feeling good today - lots of people are asking me how long it is to go and am I ready for it. I think I am.

I had a look through all my distances and times last night and I can really see how I have progressed. Wish I had dropped a few more pounds but I like my food too much!

I read in the handbook that people can access your splits every 5km over the web. Anyone know any more about this, or whether you have to register first.?
    Queeniex
  • Options
    Hello everyone. How're you feeling this week?

I had a couple of great runs over the weekend (just 6 and 10 miles but felt like I was flying) so really up for it now! Trouble is I think serious biscuit habit and general tiredness is threatening the efficiency of my taper!

Also, I'm starting to panic a little even though I've done everything by the book so far - I've stuck to a training plan, bought new trainers and broken them in, and sorted out my running kit and practised in it to make sure it's ok. The thing is, I've washed my charity vest (of course) and now it's only half the size it was when they sent it! Now there's just over a week for them to send me a new (human sized) one, for me to wear it in, wash it (carefully) and then pack it up ready to go on Thursday... or rethink my running outfit completely. On top of that we've got to watch the weather and keep both cool and warmer options open...

Do you think anyone else understands all the additional pressure and decisions involved in this running lark?!
  • Options
    No i do not think they do Bax. Everyone at my work must be bored hearing me talk about Marathons, i am pretty sure they will be glad once its all over, then they will just have to hear all about how bloody good it was!!
  • Options
    Hi richard just had a look at your www at least we will all know who you are at the start line!

just got back from my run i managed 13miles in just over my usual time so not bad as it is now 2 weeks exactly since i last ran. I had to make 2 loo stops i hope that is just the side effects of the penecillin and not something else to start worrying about! I felt realy good all the way out but on the return my legs started to feel heavy, i am hoping that if i get another run tomorrow my legs will remember what they are supposed to be doing.

i will be wearing the same running clothes if it is warm or cold, the only difference is that i will have a pair of detachable sleeves that i can throw away if it gets too hot.
  • Options
    just thought i would post some tips on NY for anyone that has not been before.

Duanne Read is the name of a chain of pharmacies. There is one on nearly every corner and this is the cheapest place to buy bottled water.

The subway is really easy to use. You can buy a metro card which does 10 journeys for the price of 9 and you can share this card with someone. so you swipe the card go through the turnstile and then pass it back to your freind. It is within the regulations to do this - i think upto 4 people can use the same card. When you get onto the platform the train will either go uptown or down town so you just use the apprtopriate side of the platform. The letter or number will be on the front of the carriage. The same applies to cross town trains, just get on at the east or west side of the platform.

if you have never been to NY try and do the open top bus tour. The guides are really informative you can get on and off when you like, or just ride the whole circuit. The busses are quite regular so if you got off in China Town the next one might be 10 minutes later so you have as much time as you need. You can get the tickets from the driver or any of the touts on the street corners. they are all official sellars of the tickets. hotel concierge will also have tickets.

tipping: if yuo buy a round of drinks in the bar it is usuall to tip the bar tender every round. Tipping is expected and is a way of life, so make sure you have small dollar bills at the ready for taxi driver, door men at the htel etc. In restaurants you can add the tip to the bill.

Deli/sandwhich shops. Loads of them everywhere and they are very busy so the turnover of food is quick. All the food is laid out behind perspex and you help yourself in take away cartons and pay at the till. they will also make up sandwhiches to take with you. There is a 24 hour one right next to the Hotel Penn and a few in the location of Milford plaza / Westin hotel /eight avenue. For anyone staying in the times square area you would be better off walking a block over to 8th or better still 9th as on times square it is more expensive and more touristy. this is a good tip if you want to take some thing to eat with you for when you finish. (the thought of what i am going to eat is what keeps me going in the last few miles of any run!).

transfers from airport, by taxi it is a set fee but get a registered cab do not go with a tout in the airprt. at both JFK and Newark there is an official taxi dispatcher who will give you a receipt. Or take the train it is very quick, cheap and easy to negotaite particularly from Newark. there are also private shuttles like supashuttle and while they are great in meeting you at the airport, on the return it can be a bit of a tight fix. ( i once got to JFk with 10 minutes to spare despite having booked with a two and half hour time allowance - now i always use the train!)

when you go shopping, stores like bloomingdales etc have a bag and coat check so you can get rid of any excess shopping and your warm coats and shop in comfort! also at Bloomingdales and macys you can get a discount card. Go to the visitor centre in the store and ask for a visitor discount card. You have to prove you are not a US citizen and fill out a form with your name and hotel address etc. the card can be used all day on most products and the 10% discount is almost equal to the tax so it feels like it is tax free. Also if yuo spend a certain amount in the store in one day go back to visitor centre and calim your free gift- usually a bag or key ring.

phew tahts enough, hope i havent bored you, if you want any info let me know and i will try and help.

13 days to go...
  • Options
    Mrs.B - Thanks for the tips.....very useful info!

Queenie - I think you can register for your 5km split times to be e-mailed to 5 e-mail addresses using the 'athlete alert' registration on the NYC marathon website. Last week the site said that registration is available from the 30th Oct but it now says from the 2nd Nov - which doesn't give us travelling UK entrants much chance to register.
  • Options
    Some excellant tips there Mrs B. I guess most people will take a ride to the top of the Empire State building, I would recommend that you do it twice. Once in daylight and once at night time, the city lights from up there are superb. In the daylight visit I'd recommend paying a few dollars for an audio tour. It tells you all about the history of Manhattan and points out where the Titanic would have berthed if it had made it accross the Atlantic.
  • Options
    Just an aside, the NYC website has been putting out some pretty useful daily tips for the past few weeks. Todays tip on tapering is particularly good reading because I for one am struggling getting my head around this idea of resting my body:-

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/training/dtip19.php
  • Options
    Thanks sdtoot. I fly out on the 2nd but maybe I could get someone else to register for me - I just want my dad to know how I am doing!

Another question - if the race starts at 10.10am NY time, what time will that be here in the UK?

Tapering - erm does that include a curry? I just ate one, I figured it was carbs.
    Queenie
  • Options
    great tips there folks, thanks.

went out for a 6 miler tonight, was going to do 8 but it tipped it down from about 3.5 miles so stopped at 6. did it in 56 mins which is the quickest yet. its amazing how much faster you can run when you want to get out of the rain. Feeling really good at the moment, just hope I'm not peaking too soon.

sdtoot, know what you mean about resting and tapering, I'm struggling with it too, feel like I should be doing more not less.

Still havnt got my tickets or registration card yet, or my charity vest. Just really hope it fits cos I wont have time to change it now.

Only 7 more shifts at work to do before I go, getting very, very excited now, and a little nervous.
  • Options
    Great tips..exciting indeed.

Gutted though!! was gonna get my 5mins of fame at goodison tomorrow nite but its been cancelled. d'oh

El Captain..im running for Evertons football in the community charity thats how come I will be wearing colours.thats if they ever get my kit ready grrr!!

Thai kick boxing tonight although really threw a stupid punch and hurt my arm..i live..as long as my legs are working thats the main thing
  • Options
    Mna, I'm going to have to go for a 8 miler or something now, everyones been out, damn it, another 10pm plod lol

Pug
  • Options
    Running
    Training run
    10:00 pm
    6.80 miles
    46:57 (6:54/mile)

That'll do, just come back... I felt like I was putting effort in, and that's a crud run consdiering how hard I felt I was running... weird... saying that, my calfs are both very sore and tender to touch... weird... never had that ever... must be lack of water or something... Mmmm, juice, where are ya ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    was thinking about doing a 12-15 on Saturday, is this wise or should I stick to 10 and leave it at that. Appreciate the advice folks.
  • Options
    Lynne - my last long one this Sunday will be 10 miles at most. With any luck I'll want to do more but will have to tell myself there's no point, you won't get the benefit in just a week. A nice 10 miler will keep things ticking over without being too tiring. I may do it slightly quicker than normal though, maybe at or just slower than marathon pace as a warm up for next week.

Anyway, that's my tenpence worth . It'll be good to hear what the more experienced marathoners say (I've only done 2).

Andrew
  • Options
    Well, I'll be doing 10 Mile on Saturday... as it just makes sure your legs don't forget how to run long... just dead slow though, I'd recommend it to be honest. Just make sure this week and especially next you do bugger all mileage really, eat protein and veg everyday... it's what I've done today... chicken is the best, get some chicken steaks/breasts and some rice or potatoes, have it most nights with brocolli or peas etc and carrots...

Pug

P.S. What the hell happened to my name on the previous post?
  • Options
    Pug - you've just described my everyday diet. Chicken, rice, brocolli, peas and green beans.

I am such a lazy cook because I just bung it all in my steamer and let it go.

I'm hoping to get out on the treadmill this week. It's one up from the cross trainer anyway. And next week before I fly out I'd quite like to do some road running. Just so I know I can.

I'm still worried about not getting in my 20 miler and the fact I've not run for over a week now.
  • Options
    Is anybody else carrying a pen and notebook around with them at the moment to scribble down "important New York stuff"? I was watching Corrie last night and they were talking about travel plugs. That went on the list.

On the subject of handluggage and kit I'll also be wearing my running trainers with my kit in my handluggage. And spare kit in my suitcase. Just in case. Earlier in the summer when the really tough restrictions were in place I was all ready to wear my whole kit.
  • Options
    Charlotte - yes I did my NYC list at the weekend. Its massive! It has all the little things it would be easy to forget, like plasters and some instant porridge for breakast on the Sunday.

Also I think I'm going to sit down and actually write out the whole plan from arrival at JFK all the way to the meet up at the Crowne Plaza on Sunday night. The reality is hitting home that this isn't just another race!
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Been away from the computer for a few days and have returned to pages of new messages-will I find time to read them.
    I was very tired last week -48miles including a 21.5 and a 12 .Felt as if every last drop of energy gone.Took 3 days off if you can say walking around London a rest.Looked at some of the FLM course from the London Eye and it brought home how long 26.2 miles is and how we are now all ready to do something amazing that few people would consider let alone do.The messages here have helped everyone no end .We may have done the training alone but we wont be doing the race alone.Its been an inspiration to watch everyones efforts.Thanks.
    I am staying at the Crowne Plaza so hope to be able to meet up for a drink.I am just going to rest on the Saturday before.Hope tickets arrive soon.
    Its strange how my legs are developing all sorts of aches pains and strains now I have started to wind down.I am going to do just enough to tick over for the remainder but will try a 12 miler this weekend just to remind me that I can run long distances.
    Interesting stuff about slow starts-this was forced on me by the crowds at FLM and after doing miles 1 and 2 in 9.36 and 8.11 I had given up any idea of going sub 3.30 but in the end I beat my target by 3minsand my second half split was actually only 20secs slower than the first.
    That seems a long time ago even though it was only April and NY seems as though its my first marathon all over again.
    How do marathon runners who have done many feel about the next one?Do you ever take them for granted and underestimate them or do they get easier assuming training is maintained.
    Sorry for blathering on
  • Options
    has anyone who is running with a charity place received their registartion card yet?
  • Options
    nope. no sign of registration card as of yesterday. Postman hadn't arrived when I left my flat at 4am this morning!
  • Options
    posted on the 2:09 web-site

"The runners registration cards arrived in the office Monday 23 October from New York and we are now in the process of matching these with our runners pack and will be posting them to you by first class mail."
  • Options
    Blimey, leaving it a bit late aren't they, good job no one is out there dead early!

Pug
  • Options
    Will be flying out at around 8PM Thursday the second. Staying at the Sheridan Meadowlands hotel in New Jersey. Anyone else staying there? Am told that the hotel will be providing transport to the start.
  • Options
    2old,
    NY will be my 10th marathon (includes 2 DNFs) and they do seem to get easier. I have kept up the training for the last 2 years or so and I think the long term adaptation builds very slowly over that kind of time span. I worry less about 'can I get the distance' and more 'how well will I run'.

But I am getting a bit fed up of the long distance work - after NY I will go for some short stuff for a few months to try and get more speed into my legs.

Anyone else travelling with Sports Tours? They have already changed my hotel for the first night (1st Nov) - hope that's all the problems I get . . . .

No registration card from them either yet, but I have got tickets, etc.
  • Options
    Loving this taper lark. Nothing to do except watch Kung Fu movies all night with the feet up. Great stuff, although have had to throw away all the bags of cheesy wotsits and biscuits in the house (which my kids left for me before they went away for half term).

Did last run on sunday. Aim to go out for a 5 miler tomorrow and then another 5 miler at the weekend and that will be it for me. Not sure whether to do the friendship run, but I guess it can't do much damage if just jog slowly.

Aiming to go to the Guggenheim in NYC for an afternoon - would recommend that - as well as Grand Central Station, which is fantastic and you will remember how many films you have seen it in. The outside ice skating near the Rockefeller centre is pretty cool too.

El C
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Thanks SlowButFar impressive stuff how do you avoid injury or do you just put up with them if possible.Do you manage to have a life as well? To be fair as long as I can fit in the long run the rest of the training slots into my busy life.I was thinking of changing my name to Not2old but the way my legs feel I think it will be Far2old.