Options

Berlin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I did all my going crazy and not knowing what to do with myself 4 weeks ago when I injured my leg. Weirdly I'm now 'building' up. Have done 37.5 miles this week (compared to 23 miles/8 miles/9.5 miles over the preceding 3 weeks) so am feeling like I'm actually out doing something (even though this is still low mileage for me).....

I guess I'll just follow the final taper week of my previous schedule this week, but I really don't feel remotely like I actually need to taper!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    YP1 - a swim (in my unbiased opinion) will only do you good! It really loosens up the muscles you've been abusing for the last few months - get to the pool and have a relaxing swim!
  • Options
    I think I should be in Pen G but will try and get in F if posible, as running with a friend who I have been training with. My best recorded marathon time is 4 hours and 22 seconds so I am only just outside the time slot. I will hopefully be buying a white Berlin Marathon vest when I get there but if not I will be conspicuous in my luminous lime green Huncote Harriers Club vest. Will probably put my name on the front, although when I did this for Boston in April, near the end I got a bit tired of acknowledging people who were shouting it. I just wanted to put my head down and withdraw into myself but it seemed somewhat ignorant, so I grimaced and hoped it passed as a smile!

Had a 10K league race this morning. Felt fine and finished in 47:41 so not bad with all those miles in my legs. Will just do a 5 mile jog on Wednesday and then the breakfast run on Saturday. Will probably have a leisurely swim on a couple of days as well.

Hope the weather cools down a bit in Berlin this week.
  • Options
    I'm trying to decide about the "name on vest" thing - I don't want to write it on my pink top because it's an expensive one, but if it's a bit cooler and I go for the red top I might just do it. Actually, that's another thing for the list - laundry marker...
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Bev - I'm undecided about the name on T-shirt thing too. I found it made a huge difference in London - but only whilst i was feeling good. I hit a really bad patch between 14 and 17 miles where I hit a mini-wall and felt terrible, and I didn't enjoy the shouting of my name at all at that point.
  • Options
    I'm in pen F (3:35-4:00). I'll be in black 3/4 (knee) length short thingies and a red top. I'm 5'6", lean (you might mistake me for someone quite fast until we start running), blonde, like long walks in the rain, have sense of humour, etc.

I'd like to put my name on myself somewhere, but short of a tattoo or a last minute embroidery course to kill the time during the taper, I'm not sure how.

My "long run" today consisted of a jog to the end of the road and back (about 1200 meters -- real endurance stuff, that) and some press ups, sits ups and squat thrusts. (Also did a smattering of weights at the gym this morning) I'll probably do the same tomorrow then yoga on Tuesday and Wednesday, then just breathing exercises after that. Bit of an alternative approach. Trying to get my calf better so it doesn't explode.

Good news is that I am fidgety and in a running mood again after a long falling out with it.

I'm really looking forward to it now and can't wait to hear how everyone does! Am busy for the next 3 days so hope the time flies.

I have a ridiculous amount of fuel and glucose things packed and got pretty organized today. All that I need now is Berlin guide book and map.

Since giving up alcohol at the end of July I seem to have developed a pre-dinner craving for crisps. Not sure which is worse!

Sorry about the long post. Like I said, only did 1200 meters today and well fidgety!

• Options
    I've given up on the giving up alcohol idea...

(I've also clearly got a bad forum addiction, as I seem to have spent the whole day on here).
  • Options
    How do you know which pen you're in? I've forgotten what I put down as target time, and none of my documentation refers to it.
  • Options
    With regards to the name thing, I just printed it out on paper and then pinned it on like a race number. This way you can tear it off when you're not in the mood for the encouraging crowds!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Good idea Bev!

Jonny L - the pen is based on your best previous marathon time not your hoped for time...
  • Options
    So presumably I'll be in pen H given that this is my first?
  • Options
    Hi All, once upon a time in May I joined this forum really meaning to post every week...

Anyway, great to see the excitement building. We seem to be the usual rum mix of has-beens (me), wannabees and not sures. I'm still going for under 3:30 if I can despite the criminal lack of enthusiasm for training.

Do we have a list of what people are hoping to do, or any arrangements to meet up?
  • Options
    Yep Jonny 'fraid so. What time are you going for? May be worth lining up early at the start so you can be towards the front of the block.

Did it myself for FLM, as I'd underestimated my race pace time from training... and worked OK. Maybe cost me a couple of minutes all in all, but I'm sure I had a happier run overtaking most of the way, than getting in the way of the fast lads.
  • Options
    Also, in last year's FLM a number of us from a particular forum all put our forum name on our backs so that we could give each other a cheer if we happened to meet up - which, amazingly, did happen for most people at some point in the race!

The suggestion would be that we all put something like "RW BM 2006" and then our own name below that - AlanM, K9, whatever. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about putting K9 on the back of my t-shirt which has my real name on the front - not sure yet though!
  • Options
    High:
    27°C

Partly Cloudy

Wind:
    From the South Southeast at 18 km/h

Precip: 20 %

Max. Humidity: 49 %

UV Index: 3 Moderate
  • Options
    Sunday's Berlin forecast, and I do hope that cloud cover stays there until early afternoon at least. But judging from the forecast of evening rain, you would have to assume clear skies to start, getting cloudy late evening. Whilst you super-whizzy runners have torn round the course by lunch, spare a thought for the plodders at the back getting slower as the temparature rises (queue violins)......
  • Options
    Am just hoping it isn't as hot as last year, which was brutal in the last hour!
  • Options
    i'm in a bit of a panic due to the lack of running in the last 2 weeks. plus i had a few drinks last night so i have a guilty/hungover feeling about that too. my knee is giving me some problems but hopefully i'll be able to run through that.
  • Options

At least humidity is low compared to london this summer!

I'm glad the marathon is this weekend, I don't think I can take any more waiting around for it. I really don't like the taper part of training at all, at least while training you can go for a long run to boost your confidence.

rob lyons - don't panic, be positive : )

• Options
    I'm hoping it cools down a bit, a few more clouds would be good too. I doubt I'll be anywhere near finished by the time the temperature starts to rise :(

I swam this morning for a while, but it's taking some getting used to not having loads of running to do.
  • Options
    woodsy - i know what you mean, its hard to see the benefit of not running. i could do with the confidence boost for sure.
  • Options
    Having a complete nightmare unfortunately - have been to the physio twice now for ultrasound etc. on my calf to no avail. Tried again today but had to stop after less than 20 minutes. One more appointment with the physio tonight then I guess it's a case of no running til Sunday and see how I get on. Flights etc. already booked so don't see the point of wondering how I'd have done without giving it a go. Will have barely run for three weeks but will just have to see what happens...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that dynamokev. I had the same snenario before I did Paris. Couldn't make it for more than an hour without hip giving up in agony, so also managed very little running in the 3 weeks prior. I stopped running and it got a BIT better, so I decided to give it a go on the day, knowing I might have to drop out at the 10K.

Amazingly, with all the adrenaline and some Ibuprofen I lasted 18 miles at my target 3:45 pace. Then, when the tiredness set in, so did the injury and I had to fast-walk almost all of the rest! Poo. (Usually I can run after mile 18 and don't want to, that time I wanted to and couldn't!) Anyway, I hobbled round for a 4:15 and was happy to have the medal and chalk up another marathon experience.

Moral of story...don't run till Sunday and then at least give it a go. I hope it gets better!

• Options
    Well I'm resigned to the fact that any target is out of the window so happy to plod round at a comfortable pace if needed. Will not be a happy bunny if I have to walk/drop out, but better than watching everyone running and wondering how I'd have done. Just really annoying as my half and 10k times suggest I could get near 3 hours but I've never done myself justice in a marathon and certainly won't be doing so on Sunday!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    ((dynamo))

I know exactly how you feel.....at least your 'non-running' has been during the taper weeks so all the important training has been done....you wouldn't have been doing much this week anyway so best to rest up as much as possible or maybe do a little of something that doesn't aggravate it (swimming?!!)

what exactly is the problem with your calf?

My targets went 'out of the window' a few weeks ago - and for a while I thought I wouldn't be doing it at all...but I still REALLY want to if only not to miss out on the whole experience! I think without the pressure of trying to achieve a certain time it'll be even more fun.
  • Options
    Cheers K9.

Swimming's not a problem so have been doing a fair bit of that to keep the CV side of things going at least. However, I only have access to a pool at work so can only do 30 minutes or so at a time.

The calf problem is a bit odd - keeps tightening up quite badly where the soleus and the two ones above meet - physio has confirmed there's no tear or strain, just a bit of inflammation. I did exactly the same thing to my other calf about three months ago and that cleared up OK in a couple of weeks. For some reason this seems to be taking longer.

Physio has notice that I've got quite prominent veins down the back of each leg, which may indicate that the circulation isn't quite what it could be. First time it happened was after a few too many drinks the night before and this time it was during a mid-afternoon long run having not eaten since breakfast, so could be a nutritional thing as well.

Just hoping a bit more treatment tonight and a few days of swimming will give me half a chance for Sunday.
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    my muscles tend to get very tight too if I start to get a bit fluid depleted or in need of sugar.

just a thought, but do you think a bit of sports massage would help? it's worked wonders for me in the past on tight muscles.
  • Options
    Physio seems to think that at this stage ultrasound should be as effective as a sports massage - I think she's also a bit reluctant this near to the marathon as I've never had it before. However, had another dose of ultrasound and some acupuncture last night so I'll just rest up with some swimming and see how it goes.

She had me go through a whole range of motions and couldn't find anything that felt painful, other than tightness while walking. Definitely no tear or strain so we're a bit confused as to what the problem is, but she's pretty confident I'll be OK - reckons if need be I could run through it, with perhaps some bruising and swelling as a result but nothing too damaging - shouldn't result in a pull or tear. However, if it does get too uncomfortable, especially early on, I'm not going to do anything silly.