Options

Berlin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Dynamokev - as far as I know the evidence for clinical effectiveness of ultrasound when used therapeutically in physiotherapy is still pretty shaky. Quick search on google turned up the below review article. On the bright side, it is unlikely to do any harm.

http://www.ptjournal.org/cgi/content/full/81/7/1339

Might be a bit close to the race to try something new though - hard to say. Hope it works out ok for you on the day.

I'm running Berlin too. Feeling happy with my training but TERRIFIED of forecast of 25-27 degrees!
  • Options
    Sounds a bit like what I had/have only more acute.
    The fact that it's just tight, rather than a strain, sounds like good news. Have you tried Ibuprofen? I find it works wonders as it is an anti-inflamatory, as well as providing pain relief.

When I went for my final long run 3 weeks ago, it was awful for the first hour (!) but temporarily went away after that. At least for the rest of the run. Must have loosened up. Worth keeping in mind on Sunday.
  • Options
    Not tried ibuprofen as I'm a bit wary of just masking the symptoms, although I guess it won't do any harm. If I don't run between now and Sunday it'll be the longest I've rested it since having treatment so just hoping this will be enough, along with loads of stretching, swimming and ice/heat.

Good to hear of some encouraging experiences from those of you who've had last minute problems before. Will be clinging on to those for inspiration/hope for the next few days!
  • Options
    I posed the question some days ago, but it seems to have got lost in a hail of injured runners!

How is everybody going through their carbo-loading? What system do you use, or have been recommended?

For me, it's mega carbo load day 5 days before (tonight in fact!), a fair bit 4 days before, very little the next day, then none on Friday, or Saturday daytime.

The theory being that when you gorge on rice and pasta on the Saturday night, your body stores as much as is possible in every muscle and store it can find, that way giving you max performance on the Sunday.

As a second point, how many others are flying from Liverpool on the Saturday morning?
  • Options
    I pretty much eat alot of carbs in my normal diet and wasn't going to change anything before sunday. I had bought a book about maximum performance from nutrition but it kinda took the pleasure out of eating!

I'd be interested to know if there are any helpful hints though so as not to drastically change diet but give it a little boost!

p.s. what sort of runs have people planned between now and sunday?

• Options
    On the carbo loading front I've always gone a bit bananas from the Thursday onwards (not literally eating bananas though, although I'm sure they'd go down well). Loads of rice crackers (flavoured ones otherwise they're terminally dull), malt loaf, rice, pasta, bread, and just about anything else.

This time I think I'll be concentrating on a vast bowl or porridge, honey and raisins in the morning, sporadic gorging on malt loaf in between lunch and dinner (along with my usual fruit), then big pasta/rice based dinner in the evening.

I personally find it easier not to go desperately mad the night before, otherwise an overfull stomach makes sleep even harder to come by than it is anyway. Then a decent breakfast of bread/honey/jam based stuff.
  • Options
    Useful stuff, already switched to porridge, and yes bananas, but more because of their ability to settle my stomach and supposedly to help prevent lactic acid build up. Personally, I can't eat for at least 3 hours before a big run, probably just nerves, but I need to make sure my system has been 'cleansed' before running ;-)
  • Options
    I always find a big breakfast weighs too heavily on the stomach and I'm can never get up early enough to have it 3 hours before race, so usually just have a GO bar and energy drink. (Not recommended. It's just what I do). I try to eat well a couple of days before with more protein in general and a pasta meal the night before. During the race I'm going to try and keep the blood sugar and carb levels up with gels and drinks on the way round.

Thought for the day: Jitters. I wish i'd trained harder, but busy life and about to tunn 40...body/mind just can't didn't seem to want to take it. I hope this doesn't all end in tears.....

• Options
    Only tears of joy and happiness as you hold aloft another medal of success.....
  • Options
    Hi all, had some real problems of late which have prevented me from running. Flying out on Thursday for some entertainment and sight seeing, im staying the the Generator Hostel, nice and cheap. Hope it's nothing like the film thats just come out, anyway anyone who wants to meet up for a chat and brew let me know. I don't want to post my mobile on this forum but if you email me I will pass it on. Take care and look forward to the run, and dont forget to smile, it's fun honest!
  • Options
    Mighty Red - on carbo loading, I'm not familiar with the strategy you describe - sounds interesting. I'd be a bit worried to be depriving yourself of carbs on Friday/Saturday. If you are going for a depletion/loading approach (which was out of favour but seems to be coming back in - I know some elites now trying it again) it is generally safer to do it much further in advance. Your body can only store a certain amount of carbs per hour as muscle glycogen, and waiting till Saturday night doesn't give you that much time. Obviously you know what works for you, so just go with what you feel good on.

Definitely go for sticking to familiar foods that you've eaten before previous long runs and felt good on (bit late now I know if you haven't tried stuff out! - stick close to normal diet boosting the carb element thereof if that is the case). Loading up Thursday, Friday, Saturday is a pretty safe strategy. I don't eat much in the way of solid food from mid Saturday afternoon on, sticking to carb drinks etc until breakfast on race day. I just find it helps me feel less bloated on the day than if I wolf down a tonne of pasta late on Saturday.

Good luck, and have fun eating all those carbs :-) Don't forget to stay really well hydrated - you need to fluid to store the glycogen, and also if it is going to be as hot as forecast.
  • Options
    Hey ray, i'm staying in the generator too! stayed there for a week last year with my mate, we had a great time. the beer is really cheap in the bar. it is dirt cheap but its clean and alright. we stayed in a dorm and it wasn't too bad. got a room for 2 this time so we can get some non drink induced sleep. will probably stay in the dorm after tho.
  • Options
    What is everyone's ideal pre-race marathon meal? I tend to eat a big bowl of egg fried race the night before a meal, then 1 more with breakfast about 2 hours before i start....Sounds a bit of a wierd one, but it works for me !
  • Options
    Hi Rob, I thought it sounded clean and tidy. I'm going with a mate who was due to run but has picked up an injury and can't. He has agreed to support me on the way round, supplying with drinks and food. Im a slow coach, not like the other racing snakes, looking at between 4.30 and 5hrs. Hope to see you at the Generator and share a beer or 3.
  • Options
    I always eat porridge for breakfast, so will be carrying on with that (although I don't know whether I'll be able to get it at the hotel on Sunday morning, sadly), other than that I'm just eating either cous cous, pasta or rice with every meal pretty much and having a couple of extra slices of toast rather than fruit for snacks. Towards the end of the week I'm considering a malt loaf eating session, and I might take some over there with me.

I don't tend to have a huge problem eating in the morning then running (or at least not in the shorter races I've done before, this is my first marathon), but it really depends what's available at the hotel. I might take some emergency muesli just in case breakfast doesn't start early enough or there's nothing suitable. (I know K9 has seen my other thread but I thought I'd mention it here, I'm doing a half marathon next month in the afternoon and I have absolutely no idea what to eat before that one, at least I'm used to morning races and have some sort of routine worked out!)

I think I've mentioned it before, but I'm on the Saturday morning Liverpool flight.
  • Options
    As for my runs between now and Sunday, my schedule had me down for 3 miles this morning (did about 3.6 because there aren't any convenient short cuts), 4 tomorrow (but might just do the same route to balance it out) and then 2 miles on either Thursday, Friday or Saturday - I think given my schedule it will either be before or after work on Friday. I usually run before work, but I might do it in the evening in attempt to tire me out a bit so I sleep before my stupidly early wake up call to get to Liverpool for 5am!
  • Options
    I did circuits again today (push ups, sit ups, squat thrusts and weight training for arms and legs). Not very much. No running, but will probably do 2 hours Ashtanga yoga tomorrow, and then my MASSIVE 5 minute jog to the end of the road and back.

After that just some deep breaths, stretches and twists and go over my race plan.

(The most important point in my race plan is "stick to the race plan")
  • Options
    i think i'll got for a 4mile run tonight then another on thursday. still don't feel ready but thats probably the nerves. might have a small run in berlin on the saturday but not sure, just maybe a small one the friday. my flight arrives 10.15pm on friday night which is a bit late if i fancy some batt recharging zzz.
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I don't feel remotely ready. Had a dreadful lethargic slow run today - no idea why.

Supposed to do 4 tomorrow then 2 on Friday before flying.

I don't even have a race plan as I've no idea what time I can expect given my shambolic training over the last month.

HELP!!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Chris Lord - how on earth did you discover that an egg fried rice breakfast was the way forward????
  • Options
    I'm also intrigued by the fact that it's eaten "with breakfast". What do you do - sprinkle it on top of your Shreddies?
  • Options
    Someone told me a few years ago that if you can stomach egg fried rice at that un-godly hour of the morning, it is a good source of pre-race fuel!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    .....think I'll stick with my crunchy nut cornflakes personally
  • Options
    i guess i'll just eat what ever they do at the youth hostel. probably a crap cup of tea, bread, ham and cheese.
  • Options
    Two shorties (5&7m) tomorrow and Thursday and that's that for me!

Probably eat too many carbs anyway in normal training, so was just going to carry on as usual - minus the red wine... :-( - and load up with an extra-large box of Bran Flakes over the weekend.

In all seriousness, I'm trying to work out the best way to transport skimmed milk over to Berlin (since, I've never been able to find it in a German supermarket). Thinking it's going to have to be well-wrapped up in a thermos in my check-in bags...

Any similarly desparate measures being employed in pursuit of a decent brekkie?
  • Options
    Just back from a slow 3.5. Hamstrings a little tight after 10K race on Sunday so didn't want to push it. Might do a 3ish on Thursday if I've got time but won't worry if not. Even though this is my 6th marathon each one feels like the first again. I was wondering on tonights run how the hell I would be managing to finish a marathon at the weekend. I was speaking to one of my fellow club runners on Sunday and he has recently completed his 71st marathon, and he says he always feels the same at this stage, so I guess its normal.

Don't usually alter my diet that much. Try to eat a bit more pasta etc the week before, and usually have porridge on race morning.

Not looking forward to the heat on sunday.
  • Options
    In at least two minds whether to do it - every time I check the forecast it gets hotter.
    My main target is Chicago, so Berlin was to be my last long trainer - but you know how it is, once in a race, it is hard to hold back.
    I know how badly I suffer in the heat - Boston last year was not pretty!!
    But with all the ladies on here giving their descriptions, it may just sway it - but then again it could be Anglesey!!
  • Options
    Decent Breakfast: I will be transporting ready brek, if all else fails will be boiling milk in room kettle like i did in london.
  • Options
    I find 'raw' porridge is just as good, if you can't find a way to cook it.
  • Options
    I prefer muesli to raw porridge, so I'll be taking that as my backup option if there's nothing decent at the hotel.

I've just done another 3.6 this morning, so only one 2 miler to go and I really am done!