Options

Newbie, need advice please

Comments

• Options
    Hi Terra
    I will eventually be looking at doing a few races - possibly if I am still injury free by the summmer. I will prob be looking South Yorks/Derbys/Manchester area or a little beyond.
    I am a trustee of a small charity who I know would be more than happy for me to run for them - and if anyone else is interested so much the better! I know they are looking at raising a small team to do a variety of runs throughout the year.
  • Options
    Morning Terra,
    just wondering if you were going to do the 3km fun run at sheffield half marathon on may 14th i live near worksop and was thinking i might be brave enough for that this year maybe the half marathon next time if all goes to plan
  • Options
    Hi Mad

read earlier in this thread for the benefits of the cold water treatment! 3-5 min running cold water over each leg after a run is supposed to removed stiffness, aches etc. It is only a shock at first and then you go numb!

I DO feel pretty comfortable today so maybe there is something in it.
  • Options
    HY - you've got mail ;)

Mad - rfl!! CBA like it - I call it my pre-contemplation stage!

Minx - I know that CBA feeling so well! - sometimes the hardest part of running is putting your trainers on. I've found this thread great for keeping motivated. Keep a running journal - I've only been running for one week but I can already look back and see improvement! I've promised myself a nice new piece of kit when I get to 30mins running. Even if you have a Cr*p run (like I did last night) don't let it get you down - It's all 'miles in the bank', and next time you'll run better!!

• Options
    Morning All,
    went to the the gym last night and did 6k in 45 minutes which i believe is 400 metres short of 4 miles. Was mighty chuffed with myself, did get a bit of a headache though, not enough water I think.
    What a gorgeous day today, i want to skive off work and go for a nice long walk around the lake but alas I can't.

HY4- i didn't know that about Marathons, will check out the link, I don't think I would ever be able to do 11 miles in 2hrs 15 minutes, ya never know though I might surprise myself. Think I might go for a swim later and give myself a rest day from running.
  • Options
    Mad - Snowdon is really beautiful walk/climb, and one with a cafe halfway up which is pretty unique in this country - I am envious. Don't be put off by the steep start - it gets easier.
    I have got halfway up twice but the people I have been with wouldn't go any further which was frustrating. Luckily my eldest daughter is getting fitter and will hopefully make a good walking partner this year.
    I recommend dried mango slices to chew while you walk - there is a deli in Llanberis that sells them!
  • Options
    MAD - re the cold water - It does work honest - I've done it after every run so far and I've had no stiffness -I'm prolly being over cautious cos I have problem shins - and anyway like GA says your legs go numb after a coupla mins anyway!
  • Options
    Anyway... to the run report - Started my 10k training last night which was run 15mins, walk 1-2mins run 15mins. Chose my route really badly as I ended up running up and down the same hill twice which ment my walking bit was nearer 5mins in total (Doh)

Anyway that was 2.5 miles - are we going to post all runs? or just our longer w/e runs - it's just a bit demoralising to see yourself going backwards!

WB 4
    Purple 4
    Half 3.65
    Terra 3
    Beth 3
    Mad 3
    Fen 24 min = approx 2.5?
    Hippy 2.5
    HY4 2.3
    Graham 2
    Steaders = 0.82
  • Options
    WB 4
    Purple 4
    Half 3.65
    Terra 3
    Beth 3
    Mad 3
    Fen 24 min = approx 2.5?
    Hippy 2.5
    HY4 2.3
    Graham 2.2
    Steaders 0.82

Just post your longest run so far as a measure of progress. We could add time as well but then it starts to look serious!
  • Options
    I feel so good after a week I decided to spend an hour working out an 8 week training plan. All being well and strongly resisting the urge to overdo it I have a plan that should (might) see me running 5.3 miles every other day with 2 or 3 one minute walks by June 20th (coincidentally also my 44th birthday).

It might be too much (it looks a bit daunting from where I am now) but I will reduce it if necessary. Some plans seem to do long run then short run so I might revise alon those lines if I fall apart. It all kind of depends on losing weight too but I reckon I have lost around 7 pounds over the last week just by missing out desserts etc so confidence is high!

Fingers crossed and wish me luck.
  • Options
    Graham - what's your charity?

Beth - I'm not doing the 3k, but I'm doing the Race4Kids, a 5k for Bluebell Wood on the 20th May
  • Options
    I do a little work for the Aspergillus Trust (www.aspergillustrust.org) which aims to help people who suffer chronic infections from Aspergillus - a fungus.
    It is the usual story - a little known but potentially devestating illness is undernoticed and underfunded by NHS. It effects everyone from transplant patients to asthmatics.
    So far the trust has produced a series of help sheets for clinics etc, and we offer direct support to sufferers in partnership with the Fungal Research Trust (www.fungalresearchtrust.org).
  • Options
    Hi to you all.. i have been reading through some of the messages.. i have only been running 80 weeks, am up to 3 miles but not continuous yet more like 10,8,4,4 mins with 2 mins break between so i am prob ridiculously slow compared to you all.. but i would love to join the 10m thing!!
  • Options
    Thinker: No sooner asked than done :-)

WB 4
    Purple 4
    Half 3.65
    Terra 3
    Beth 3
    Mad 3
    Thinker 3
    Fen 24 min = approx 2.5?
    Hippy 2.5
    HY4 2.3
    Graham 2.2
    Steaders 0.82
  • Options
    Evening all. Not got time to read through all the posts so I'll say a quick hello and try and catch up tomorrow.

Snowdon was fab GA went up the pyg track and down the miners route. Thoroughly worth the effort, have taken some fab pictures which I am going to transfer onto computer later. Going to make a good tea before I pop out to my sister's.

Catch you all tomorrow properly.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    HippyChick,

You have mail.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    GA,

What you're planning sounds a bit much. How about 2 or 3 miles for your weekday runs and then do the 5 miler at the weekend. That way your body can recover between each run.

I think the guidelines for increase distance is no more than 10% per week.
  • Options
    hi all
    think i will manage a mile on treadie today.its been quite a day at work.
    terra dont know about that race what time and where is it sounds like a good one for a good charity and it might be good to do the week after 3km as i got 10km on 4th june then half marathon october 1st
  • Options
    Halfdragon,
    I did the Great South Run last year - it really is a great race, with some lovely scenery along the Southsea coast. It is expensive but last year we got a t-shirt, medal and a goodie bag containing a pedometer and loads of food samples.

I did the 10 miles in 2 hours and 5 minutes, with very little training before hand. In fact we probably walked about 3 of the 10 on and off.

If you can run 4 miles now I believe you will have no problem at all in October. The atmosphere alone can squeeze another couple of miles out of you!! Good luck!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I'll echo that one!

On my half I was really surprised that people came out from the houses and set up camp at the side of the road.

Write your name on your top as a few people encouraged me on by saying my running and their positive comment. At least that way you won't be a number.
  • Options
    That was quick work Graham Thank you!!! By the way i have been running 8 weeks not 80!!!!!
  • Options
    Hmm...in my latest burst of insanity...what's the Great North Run like for beginners?
  • Options
    The GNR is fantastic for beginners - real good atmos - loads of fun runners - lots of people walk the course (not that Im suggesting you wont be able to run it!!)
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a charity place - all other places are full-up. It's on Oct 1st - so plenty of time to limber up!!

• Options
    GA - 7lb in a week just by not eating deserts?.............I hate you! I gave up alcohol for lent (that's 40 whole days and nights!) and actually put weight on (my friend lost 1/2stone)

Looking at your training prog i worry that you might ask too much of yourself. It might be better to set-up an easier plan that you can add to, than have work backwards on a tougher plan - try this link
    http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/beginner/programme.html

I found this really usefull - especially the bit where it explains the need to do shorter mid-week runs - I never fully appreciated the value of doing this before.

Happy running
  • Options
    HY - thanks for the plan - it looks good!

:)
  • Options
    Good morning. How is everyone? Hope you are all well.

Many reasons not to run this morning(blisters, tired legs from snowdon, slight headache, housework that HAS to be done before I go out) and only one reason to go for a run(I wanted to) run. Which did I listen to?

Yep I went out. PLeased I did, Just set off with a view to do about a mile, just to keep my running legs on. I did a little over that. Glad I went out. Did the cold water trick on legs, because they were allready aching, hopefully I'll feel fine tomorrow.

I have put the table in because my longest run is actually 3.6 miles. Hope that's ok I know I certainly didn't do this today.

WB 4
    Purple 4
    Half 3.65
    Mad 3.6
    Terra 3
    Beth 3
    Fen 24 min = approx 2.5?
    Hippy 2.5
    HY4 2.3
    Graham 2.2
    Steaders 0.82
  • Options
    This thread is getting busy, I'm working from Home today and thought I just have a quick read while I have a cup of coffee and have been here 20 mins.

Still I've updated the table based on running and walking distance not just continuous running. This week have done training runs Mon,Wed and today. 30mins plus 4mins warmup/down. 3mins R 2 Mins W. At my plod speed that equals 1.9 miles. If its OK with everybody I'd like to record in brackets mile run continuously as this is my objective, 10 miles continuous

WB 4
    Purple 4
    Half 3.65
    Terra 3
    Beth 3
    Mad 3
    Thinker 3
    Fen 24 min = approx 2.5?
    Hippy 2.5
    HY4 2.3
    Graham 2.2
    Steaders 1.9 (0.82c)

long run tomorrow hopefully more than .82 miles
  • Options
    Hi all,i am new to forums/chatrooms and verry slow with the typing-bit like my running.I currently plod up to 4 miles at present but I have good days and bad days.T ook up running 2 years ago since giving up smoking-can I join in?
  • Options
    Also welcome to all the new people. This is becoming, has become a really good thread.

Back to work :-(

• Options
    Tis a lovely day again but will leave my plod till evening when much cooler-burnt my nose the other day.Can I join your aim for 10 miles?