Options

Heart rate monitor training

Comments

• Options
    hi all
    just got the idiots guide book and will start my training today.A 5mile recovery ceiling run max h/r not above 147 i hope.
    My last 2 races one a 13m other a 10 m were shocking, worst times ever for me so this change is something i'm looking forward to.
    Will stick to it i swear!
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Taking part in test of Polar RS800 over next 8 weeks. I've got the works to play with and there's a control group using a stopwatch.

Began with full VO2Max and Coopers test, train "normally" for 8 weeks and then repeat the tests. Good news is all who take part get a new RS800 with all the s/w.

Used to occassionally check HR with on old protrainer, a few times a year. Just ocmpleted the first week and it's amazing how the new toy focusses the training.

eg. VO2Max = 55 (age 44), Coopers = 3050m (don't do enough speed work!) HR range for the test 70-183. First longer run 11.2km in 52min included a big hill about 5km in HR peaked at 192 (105%), but recovery was good. I can really see the benefit of all the measurements and analysis, and how it's going to improve the quality of my running.

With the HRM did you feel the same and did it last or has the novelty worn off?
  • Options
    What rs800 test are you taking part in big pony?
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    It's sponsored by Polar through the Olympic Medical Institute.

They had me in for a VO2Max at the institute and a few days later did a Coopers test (how far can you run in 12 minutes) at Harrow School running rtack. Then I train normally for 8 weeks and then repeat the tests, give back the watch and bits and pieces, and get a nice brand new one for my trouble.

I was always planning to use the 8 weeks to get really ready for Loch Ness, but might not be able to run as it clashes with something else (not running related unfortunately). Anyway gonna train for it in case I can make it.

The aim of this is to test the s/w alongside a control group to see if the watch, HRM and s/w make a significant improvement on training and performance.
  • Options
    Hi All,
    I’ve been basing most of my runs on 70% WHR since March. I’ve seen big improvements in pace over this time but I'm starting to feel that 70% WHR is getting harder.
    Is this correct? I've read the idiots guide and my understanding was that the pace would pick up (which it has) and the effort will feel the same. However I’m starting to feel that I have to breathe deeper, I can still hold a conversation but previously (esp. when I first started) my breathing was light.

I've only had this feeling for the last couple of weeks and it could of course be down to other factors (I'm training for a marathon) but I'd just like to get some views on this.

Cheers
  • Options
    Sounds good and always nice to get a freebee!!

You'll have to let us know how you get on sounds very intresting.
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    I guess y'all using Garmin's? If so how are they helping with training?

I have to mail my training log weekly to the OMI for analysis but won't expect feed back from them for a couple of months, but my first weeks impressions have been positive and motivational, hope it lasts :)

• Options
    Karen - I didn't know the RS800sd had been released yet?
    It's a fab piece of kit. I have been running with one and comparing it to a Garmin 305.
    Out of the box the Polar was accurate on the road to within 3 metres per 1000 metres. I did a 20 k training run last week in tough terrain and the Garmin showed 20.11 km, the Polar 20.2 km. The pace returned by the Polar is incredibly sensitive. The watch display can show your HR in three flavours (HR, %HR max, and Karvonen) and you can change the display on the run.

I've been doing most of my mileage at up to 70% Karvonen; last week I did 64 miles. I am running many miles at marathon pace now with my HR barely going over 70%.

• Options
    So to use the RS800 do you have to have addidas shoes or can it be used with other makes? I'd be intrested to know more about this product as I just love those gadgets. Sad I know.
  • Options
    Snap do you prefer the rs800 to the garmins?
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Not tried the garmin, but very happy with the polar so far. I'm only using one pair of shoes at the moment but when I really get off road I'll have to configure the other shoes. I wonder how much of a difference changing shoes can make and how sensitive is that stride sensor!
  • Options
    I'm qite happy with the RS800 too. I wouldn't pay £350 for it though - maybe £150

It uses infared to transmit data to the computer - it's short range so you basically have to hold teh watch to the reciever. I think blutooth would have been a much better option to use especially as you can pair devices - im sure for teams it would be a great improvement.

I calibrated the footpod on a track last week running 1200 meters. I find it to be slightly generous in my real world running. It measured 7.4 miles for the 7.2 mile lap of richmond park & 5.88 miles for the 5.62 local route that I measured on my bicycle.

I haven't had it long enough to check if it measures routes consistantly but if it does that would be great as I'd be comparing like with like.

As for the heart rate monitor feature - I quite like that but don't really know how to interperate the data. I like the "optimizer" test I do each morning where it measures my resting heart rate, then I stand up & it measures that peak & then my standing heart rate & tells me if I'm overtraining, well rested etc
  • Options
    Here's a sample of teh results from a run that I don't know how to interperate.

I've been running fairly haphazadrly for 3 years & would like to be sub 1:25 for Windsor half marathon (30 mins faster than last year). I PB'd at Reading in April this year in 91:35

Maybe I should by the Dummies book?

Data Value Unit
    Duration 1:01:20
    Sampling Rate 5 s
    Running Index 76

Energy Expenditure 703 kcal
    Number of Heart Beats 8721 beats
    Recovery -65 beats
    Minimum Heart Rate 68 bpm
    Average Heart Rate 142 bpm
    Maximum Heart Rate 171 bpm
    Standard Deviation 16.4 bpm

Minimum Speed 12:30 min/km
    Average Speed 4:57 min/km
    Maximum Speed 3:21 min/km
    Distance 12.4 km

Minimum Cadence 57 rpm
    Average Cadence 87 rpm
    Maximum Cadence 98 rpm

Minimum Altitude -48 m
    Average Altitude -23 m
    Maximum Altitude 1 m
    Ascent 95 m
    Descent 292 m
    VAM 93 m

• Options
    Could you explain the cadence I thought that was only used for biking? I presume it must be how many steps your taking?
  • Options
    yeah same as biking - one revolution of teh feet - the speed per min it takes your right foot (or which ever one has the footpod) to hit the ground twice.

I think Polar says 86prm is about right for half-marathon distance although I can't remember where I read this, if I believe it,m & even if I understand it.
  • Options
    I've been up to 176rpm on the bike (not me own effort - fixed gear downhill) & I wonder what the fastest I could get running downhill would be at the increased risk of personal injury
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    As you repeat certain runs you can see if fitness improves your cadence and lenght of stride...or make it worse :)
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna join in here as I've just been trying out my new HRM. The good news is, my heart's still beating. The only other conclusion I've reached so far is that Waitrose must be a relatively relaxed place to shop as I got my HR down to 51 whilst waiting in the queue. No idea what my resting HR is but I'll soon find out.

Quick question: how would anyone rate a strenuous spinning class as a way to obtain maximum heart rate? Thought I'd strap it on this evening and give it my all.
  • Options
    A spinning class would not be ideal to get a max as we have different max results for different sports.

best way to do it is to find a hill or do a track session of 800 meters.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/hrm2.htm

stress tests carry a degree of risk so let someone know what you are doing & make sure thy have a phone & know where you are in teh very rare case that they might need to call an ambulance.

By the way - the slow flickering of fluorescent lights is supposed to slow you down - to make you dopey & more likely to buy things you dont need. That's why essentials like milk & beer are always at the back or far end of supermarkets forcing you to walk past loads of other stuff
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Interesting!

I'll see what reading a get tonight, then compare it with what I get from running exercises. A few lung-busting runs up and down Greenwich Park should do the trick.

Update: my office environment must be even more relaxing than Waitrose. I just registered a 38!
  • Options
    It's actually not a brilliant idea to calibrate the pod on the track (not a tartan track anyway); over the distance (1200 metres plus) the slight resilience of the surface is enough to cause a deviation, as is the curvature of the track.

I suppose in the absense of a properly surveyed course you might borrow someone's Garmin to measure out a stretch of road for yourself. The longer the better. It is easy to calibrate and recalibrate the RS800sd on the fly, so if you started your course from home you could recalibrate every time you set out for a run, according to the shoes you had on or the pace you intended to stick to.

That said: I have just been out for a 10 miler with several k along a main road with kilometre stones, and the RS800sd was accurate to within a metre per 2 kilometres; my pace varied from 5:15 per k to 4:27 per k, and the road is nicely undulating. That was using the default calibration but after selecting the shoe (I wore the speed sensor inside the new Addidad shoe today).

I think the Garmin 305 and Polar RS800sd cater for two different groups of runners. If you are really interested in geographical data then the Garmin is for you. But if you are really into HR data and analysis and you want reliable feedback on your pace as you run, go for the Polar.
    If I was rich I would buy the RS800sd and the Garmin 205, I think.

If I didn't have much time for computers and software and analysis but just wanted basic HR data and a reliable post-run record of where I'd been and how fast, I'd go for the Garmin 305. It'd give be the additional advantage of the "virtual partner", too, great if you do a lot of running on your own.
  • Options
    paininthe foot - sorry! No, you can use the Polar footpod with any shoe. It rides in the laces, like the older footpods. But you can fit it inside the new Addidas if you want.

The new "speed sensor" has the advantage that there is no on-off switch, i..e no moving parts or contacts to go wrong. You can change the battery yourself, as you can with the RS800 watch and the HR transmitter belt.
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Minor grumble, the watch has decided not to talk to the stride sensor ever again from what I can see. I had this problem when I calibrated on the track at Harrow, turned out to be the watch not the sensor so they swapped it for another one. Any of you regular users experience this?

• Options
    Thanks Snap sounds like a cracking bit of kit. Think I will stick to my garmin for now.
  • Options
    Still not sure whether HR training is doing me any good or not. Have finally got down to the speed I managed for my fastest marathon 7.06 min/mile over an 11 mile run on Sunday. Funny thing is is that I have been less paranoid about HR stats for the last few weeks. Don't know whether that means HR training doesnt suit me or if it's due to the cooler weather.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Quick update on playing with my new toy... Spinning like my life depended on it got my HR up to 176. Did a quick hill test yesterday evening and reached 181. Probably a couple more beats in there somewhere but it felt fairly max'd out to me!

Anyway, I'm giving myself a working range of 38 - 182, making my 70% effort level 139 bpm. This is quite reassuring as I appear to have been doing my long runs at about the right level (if a little toppy).
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Fixed problem with stride sensor. Took out battery and straightened the contacts and it started working. I think this is a design flaw as I've heard I'm not the first to have this problem.
  • Options
    Big Pony - I couldn't get mine to talk at first. But if it happens again, remove the sensor from the watch menu (you'll know what I mean) and re-teach it.
    Because of the W.I.R.E technology they are sensitive to computers (Bluetooth etc). If your sensor comes from a Polar office you may safely assume it's been corrupted a bit!

Not that I've had any problems since.
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Problem was it wouldn't learn, so I had to teach it the hard way. In the end it was a dodgy contact and hopefullly it will be OK now.