Options

POSE Method of running?

Comments

• Options
    Pantman i have read all of your posts here in the forum and i see you are VERY pleased with your new POSE...! I'm interested to know about the drills and everything. I have a marathon coming up (Athens Classic) but afterwards i would like to give it a shot. Any advise or info would be appreciated!
  • Options
    Hermes - read as much as you can at www.posetech.com
  • Options
    This exactly what i'm doing right now! Maybe i can ask something afterwards! No mean to bother you...thanks!
  • Options
    Didn't mean to fob you off, Hermes, just that there is far more there than I could ever tell you - I am still a newbie to this myself.
    Chaos is a better one to talk to as he has been to a clinic...
    The downhill start that I mentioned yesterday has been a huge help to me. Gets the cadence up nicely. I am realising that I may need to run routes that are less hilly. My muscles need to be more accustomed to Pose before I can do it on hilly routes. The steep downhills require a cadence that I cannot manage and the ups make me work too hard to maintain Pose. Slight downs amd ups are perfect though for learning.
    Come on folks! Let's all post our tips to this thread as we learn...
  • Options
    Goodmorning Pantman and to all! I just wanted to ask which of the products i should purchase! The VHS would be enough to get the idea of POSE or the book is necessary too? I can't go to a clinic because there isn't one available in my country. I will follow though your advice and ask from Chaos for some help. Thanks again!
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Although the book is very good at explaining things, I think it is very useful to be able to see exactly how the drills are done and of course to see someone running using the Pose method so you are probably better off with the video (or better still the new DVD).

There are some coaches who regularly post on the Posetech Message Board so I'd suggest reading a few of the conversation threads there as well. They come up with some very useful tips.
  • Options
    I posted a few days ago on this saying that I had run a marathon with more or less mostly pose technique with pretty good results. Most importantly being the absence of injuries etc after the race. Normally after a marathon I can't run for shit for at least a week and maybe up to two weeks. This week I did a slow 7k on Wednesday, and 20k on bike Thursday. This morning I did one of my usual training runs which is 8.5k, naturally utilising the Pose technique. I was literally flying, clocking off sub 4' 30" kilometres without even trying. I finished the run in 37' 30" which is one minute better than I've ever done before in a training run and, as I said, without really trying. For me the Pose technique is really working both for speed and avoiding injuries.

There are two small hills and I managed to do them for the first time with Pose (up and down) and without the sensation that Pantman mentioned of accelerating too much on the downhill.

Btw it was an absolutely beautiful morning here in N.Italy. The sun was coming up over the Appenine mountains, not a cloud in the sky, temperature around 15°c, saw some hares playing in the fields and some "nutrie" (rat like creature, big as a cat - don't know the word in English) swimming in the canals. Just felt great to be alive.

Only negative thing about this technique is the name. I just can't get round to defining myself as a poser. Spent all my life trying to avoid that. : )
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Know what you mean! Some of the drills are distinctly camp as well :-)
  • Options
    Chaos - firemonkey,"my neighbour" thank you for your tips! Pantaman you too.
    I will try in the near future to purchase either the DVD or the book and let you know how things are working for me...
  • Options
    Hello All

First of all I am a second time around newbie, gave up running 12 years ago and am trying to come back to it. Its been a nightmare, never had these problems before

I pronate for which I am using Asics GT 2070 and I am also a natural fore-foot runner. I dont want to change my running style, as I understand this gives me more speed, problem number 1, I am continually trying to slow down

i started re-running about 3 months ago, and was making reasonable progress, untill i started having tightness in the ham-strings. Followed by a chronic cramp that was agony, lasting for about 20 minutes in the centre of my left calf, this happened in bed one night on a day when I hadnt run. The following day, I couldnt even put my foot flat on the floor

At the moment I cant run past the five minute stage, due to pain in both my calves, so serious failure to progress. The pain starts in the lower calf and radiates up to the mid-calf region - I'm not aware of any problem with the achiles

Can anybody shed any light on this, as I am getting really fed-up and de-motivated

Thank you, and thank you Pantman for pointing me in the direction of this thread
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Sounds painful :-(

Possibly a muscle tear in the calves? I got this after doing far too much too soon with bad technique (as mentioned earlier in this thread). A sports massage therapist cured it in a couple of 30 minute sessions using a technique called "cross-frictions". You may also want to work on both strengthening and stretching those hamstrings as I think you've already sussed.

The best stretches I have found are at Gerard Hartmanns website (Paulas physio) - http://www.hartmann-international.com/001articles/articles.htm. Good luck!
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    On the subject of your shoes, DDP - take a look at the "Forefoot Runner..." thread on page 2 of the Gear forum. Might find it interesting given that you say you pronate as well.
  • Options
    I was going to say muscle tear as well - but hung off to see if anyone else would say it - kind of a drastic prognosis to make on a virtual basis.
    I also pronate and am still using orthotics while using Pose technique. Haven't summed up the courage to dispose of them yet, but I am using more flexible shoes. Next step is very flexible shoes.
    You don't say if your're heavy DDP - if you are you'll probably have to work hard on strengthening your calves.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    It is a bit drastic I guess, but a decent sports therapist/physio would be able to tell and it's always worth having the massage anyway for those tight hamstrings :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Chaos and FM

I've been pulling my hair out with this, experience tells me I shouldnt be having these problems, and the ridiculous thing about it all is, as an ex-runner I know I can run

I have got to the point tho where I've been thinking about calling it a day, and accepting the fact that I've left it too late to stage a comeback

FM, I'm in my mid-forties and a bit overweight, i need to lose about 10lbs, but thats all - I was initially progressing very quickly, maybe in hindsight too quickly

I'm now going to read this thread completelym check out forefoot runners thread on Gear and re-post - also try and locate a sports massage therapist
  • Options
    DDP, never too late to come back, soldier on in there. Mid forties is far too early to be considering jacking it in - I'm 46 and despite incurring more than my own fair share of injuries am enjoying some of my best running ever.
  • Options
    Mid forties is definitely not too late. I'm 46 and came back to running just last year, admittedly I've continued doing other aerobic sports in the meantime and I'm not overweight but I'm enjoying it like crazy. I'm also an ex-runner (you can read a little about it some way back on this thread - it may give you some ideas).

You probably need to work some on your core strength and stretching for flexibility but if you work on it you can get back to running well and enjoyably - probably not back to championship standard though :-)
  • Options
    I'm trying hard to get back into running, but am obviously having difficulty at the moment, I'm hanging on in there trying to sort it out, but I now accept I need a sports therapist to help me

I've been thinking about doing some swimming as well FM, to exercise myself without the stress of running
  • Options
    Swimming is great exercise for the whole body and I try to do some as often as possible. In fact for the next two weeks I'm be doing virtually only that as I'll be travelling in the Gulf (35 centigrade). Also bike can help you improve leg muscle tone.

Don't forget the all important back and abdominal muscles which stabilise your body when running. In fact all upper body muscles help in some way - shoulders, arms. Maybe only pectorals don't help too much.

Take it slowly and you'll be fine. The basic muscles technique and muscles are probably there but you have to rediscover them. Also remember that ligaments, tendons etc are slower to develop and strengthen than muscles.

Good luck and good running
  • Options
    DDP - Having been a VERY heavy heel striker with Orthotics for 13 years and returning after 7yrs (inc. a few false starts), I seem to have adapted ridiculously well to shifting to forefoot, going "cold turkey" with the orthotics and switching from "boots" to racers. As I can see it there are 2 key reasons for this "ease of transition":
    1) I did a lot of achilles/calf strengthening exercises before switching to Pose - Walt SAS exercise to be precise. Chaos may post the link for you or else you can look back at the Achilles Woe thread in Injury. (Walt also has some ITB exercises that are good for Pose too - link Chaos?)
    2) I went barefoot for 2-3 weeks. Avoided wearing anything and if I had to then flat sandals only. This reulted in cramps when I tried to swim and all sorts - my feet hadn't been used properly for over a decade!
    When I tried to run, after learning to use my feet again, I immediately felt "confined" by my orthotics, So I stopped (on the treadmill) and took them out - immediately better. But I still felt "confined" - unable to use my feet as I had been learning to. The support in my shoes. So I took them off! 5 min on the 'mill in socks - bad blisters but freedom of movement. Now if I use a shoe with ANY support my legs can feel it. Interestingly, the shin splints that were the last straw and made me take the Pose plunge have dissipated running in racers, but when I wear support shoes (Asics 2070 too BTW) even with no orthotics, I can feel them return - weird, huh!
    My advice:
    1) Barefoot whenever possible - at home, at work even, in the car...
    2) When you have to go out wear "minimalist" shoes. I got a pair of Teva Protons - wetsuit shoes, sort of - like walking barefoot but with a thicker sole on your foot.
    3)Run only in racing shoes - avoid anything with medial supports or similar.
    4) Take it easy - very short runs with very gradual increases - this is asking a your feet and body to adapt a lot more than you realise.
    5) Learn Pose properly - forefoot running can cause injuries too if done badly. Do the drills DAILY!
    Why the "cold turkey" approach - because you can't learn to do it, unless you're doing it! And shoes with heels (like 2070s) prevent you from running properly. Pose running is NOT up on your toes - you land on the balls of your feet... JUST! the heel is as close to the ground as it can be without touching - almost flat footed. Heels in 95% of running shoes make that impossible - full stop! You either land on the heel or else (and THIS, I believe, is your problem) you have to get up on the toes more to keep off the heel. To acheive this your muscle is contracting BEFORE you land - NOT good.
    The Pose method says to "fire and forget" - if the foot is lifted up correctly and the body position is right, then gravity will bring the foot down in the right place - no effort needed. In fact, quite the opposite - most of us find that we have to work at RELAXING the ankle at the point of contact. But NEVER land with pointed toes...

A long post, even for me, and it is VERY late so apologies for typing errors, but I hope this is helpful to you.
  • Options
    Pantman

As a result of what I've found out in the last 24 hours on this thread, I have decided on the following action

1. See a physio, I'm going to contact a local running club to see if they can reccomend anybody, I need to sort out any underlying injuries in my calves

2. Go to a running shop and get a pair of shoes that are less built up than the ones I am currently using

3. Exercise my calves more frequently

4. Buy a flatter pair of shoes for general use, work, social etc - I am already flatfooting it when at home, to stretch everything out

5. Crosstrain untill I can get to see a physio, I'm already doing 2 - 4 mile walks a couple of times a week, I'm going to increase this, I walk on the heel of my foot by the way, and include some swimming to help strenghthen muscles generally

Your posts are being incredibly helpfull, as it looks like I'm going to be following in your footsteps to some extent. You may be an experienced runner which I obviously am not. Never likely to be unless I can sort this out. I obviously need to stretch muscles and tendons, stop trying to run on my heels, which isnt working, slow down, my tendency is to run too fast, and chill out a bit

Thank you
  • Options
    Went for a run with Graham Wobbly Legs today and he says that my foot plant is OK - right under COG as it should be - pretty pleased with that...
  • Options
    I started running in February 2003 to complement my swim training (masters). I didn't have a clue about forefoot and heel stuff when I started.

I have found out that I'm a forefoot runner so I was very interested to hear about this Pose stuff. I did suffer badly from stiff calves during the first 2 months but this has gradually disappeared after I reduced my mileage and then gradually increased it again. I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between forefoot (at least my forefoot style) and Pose but I intend to consciously follow the Pose guidelines for the next week. I'll keep you posted on my experiences. By the way I run in NB764s and NB765s, which have low profile heels, on gravel trails in very hilly country.

• Options
    STOP PRESS!!!!

Paula runs perfect Pose style - I checked and I double checked - and it's TRUE!!!

Watch the sprint finish when she realises she might get the WR - she does not reach forward with the thighs at all - just lifts her foot under her hips. WOW!

Can somebody check this for me?
  • Options
    Okay Pantman, your nagging ;-) has worked! Really been struggling with my back for the past ten days, so tried the POSE method this morning. Out for about twenty minutes and alternated forefoot striking and my usual flatfooted plod style (because at first POSE gave my calves gyp!). It was fantastic! Whenever my back twinged, I went straight back to forefoot striking and the pain passed. Within ten minutes the POSE method felt more natural than my regular one. For the first time in nine long, frustrating months, I feel hopeful. Off to check out the website now. Pantman, I love you!
  • Options
    Oh, I was much faster too!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    You've made him blush, Sassie!

[ruffles Pantie's hair]

• Options
    Sometimes I fear that my "nagging" re Pose, base building, etc... ruffles a few too many feathers, but THIS is why I do it. Good for you, Sassie!

Just remember that actually TRYING to land forefoot WILL strain the calves. It is by lifting the foot correctly (i.e. behind you, under the hip, with hamstring only) and keeping body position right (vertically upright, very SLIGHT lean from the ankle, no bending at the hips) that allows the foot to fall down under the weight of gravity into the right position. If you have shoes with heels (Air, gel, support, etc.) you may HAVE to land flatfooted as the shoe prevents you from landing on the ball of your foot.

The main thing for your back is to ensure that the foot does not land in front of you. I was SO impressed watching snippets of Paula at GNR sprinting for a WR and STILL not reaching her legs in front of her - perfect Pose running!

Congrats to you, Sassie. Read the Pose Forum on their site and buy the book and DVD - it sounds to me like you won't regret it. (BTW - if you contact a UK Pose Coach by e-mail [list on site] they may have copies of book and dvd to save on postage costs from US).

GO SASSIE!!!!!!
  • Options
    This is all very exciting - I wish I could go out and try this right now instead of having to sit here at my desk!

I've had bother with PF and my achilles for what seems like a zillion years and I've never been able to believe that it's ALL coming from my tight calf muscles. Which recently I've been having a hard accepting that I have in the first place - I'm naturally very flexible, way more so than my loved one who never has any sort of bother with his feet or achilles, and he has incredibly flat feet. Though admittedly his dorsa flexion is impressive.

This business of walking around barefoot has me somewhat confused. I was on holiday recently and so spent all my days in weeny flip-flops. At the end of the day I was feeling like my ankles and the tops of my feet were sore. But maybe it was because they were actually working for a change? Normally I spend my life in cushioned shoes and trail shoes - I'm not a high-heeled kind of a gal. I recently bought a pair of NB 765s and found that I was experiencing the same sort of tired ankle feeling that I'd had in my flip-flops, albeit to a much lesser extent. I have to say that this has put me off them, cos I'm worried that I'm doing myself damage. But, maybe, is this just that my feet are now free to move a bit better? I've been wearing pretty rigid NB855s, which are bluddy chunky shoes! And rather heavy too.

Sorry - I know I'm rambling now! There's a lot to think about here. I've been printing out some of the useful messages to read and digest at my leisure. Thanks so much for the postings. Sad to say, I've crashed the expensive color laserjet with Gordon Pirie's book! Though I'm hopeful I won't be sacked......

BTW, TwoDogs - to answer your question from a week or so ago, I saw a podiatrist who said that I don't need orthotics and that my feet are fine. Should I trust them?!?!?!?!?

Sassie - how wonderful that you've been able to run again! I'm really pleased for you. Long may it continue!

(crivvens, that was a long one).
  • Options
    "At the end of the day I was feeling like my ankles and the tops of my feet were sore. But maybe it was because they were actually working for a change?" ABSOLUTELY!!!
    "I recently bought a pair of NB 765s and found that I was experiencing the same sort of tired ankle feeling... maybe, is this just that my feet are now free to move a bit better?" ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Take the transition easy - lots of parts of feet, ankles and legs being used that have been prevented from being used in the past. And DO THE DRILLS!!!! Will strengthen you up so you can run more sooner...