Options

Any photographers here?

Comments

• Options
    I bought a D70 just over 2 years ago and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Buying an SLR is like joining a religion. Not because of the body, but because of the lenses. I only have three lenses, but now, say in three years' time, when I need or decide to change the body, of course it will be another Nikon. And I'm sure I'll have another lens or two by then :)
  • Options
    Hmmm, don't know about that. How big is the "photo cell", surely it's about getting light to the cell and if that's small how much more light is going to get to it?
  • Options
    I use it more for stationery objects, rarely for objects in motion. I haven't figured out all the functions yet, since it's very new, but I can also use manual settings on mine, which I want to improve my knowledge of.
  • Options
    When discussing cameras, don't people always argue about which brand has a "better lens"? As a reasonable photographer, it's actually difficult to get "cr*p" pictures out of a decent compact camera with some manual controls.
    For anyone who wants to check out how photocells work in minute detail: http://wearcam.org/photocell_experiment.pdf
  • Options
    I'm going fro and other Nikon (the D200) due to the fact that i have always used Nikons - have a F4, F501 & a F90Pro - so have a good selection of accessories that I'll still be able to use

But i will be retiring the Dark Room
  • Options
    Ah, Earl, it's about how far the pixels are apart on the sensor. The typical 6MP they stick in an SLR body is way bigger in physical dimensions than the 6MP sensor they stick in a compact. I guess that makes you right?!
  • Options
    So I guess you'd have to compare, say, 9MP on the Fuji I mentioned at £250 with a similarly priced SLR. Though it does more come down to what you are going to use it for. If you aren't going to need to change lenses then I see no value in having an DSLR and most people will wind up having both as they can't be bothered carrying around an SLR's kit all the time.
  • Options
    I have all 3 types - a compact - a prosumer and a SLR

All have their uses and as Eral says think about what yo want to use it for

The compact is good for carrying round - just in case a good phot comes along and for nites out ets

The Prosumer is a good comimise idf i want to veritility but dont want to carrl loads of gear and dont need to change lenses or require speed (including image buffering and right time)

The SLR(s) are used for profesional and similar use - wheer people pay me for quality, or wher i need to captre fast moving action or require to shoot on low light etc

Its all about what yoe want
  • Options
    Yeah - 95%+ of my pics are portraits of hyperactive kids, so I want 1. instant shutter response and 2. miniscule DoF. For this I need big glass (f1.8 or f1.4), and shutter lag that only an SLR can deliver.
  • Options
    ...and then you have to consider how you are going to use the images you take. Are you going to print them or are you just going to store and view them on a computer? You can get a whizz bang camera but can you match its output to that of a/your printer.

I'd be interested to know how the quality of printer output compares to high end camera output. Are cameras already outstripping printers? At what point does camera output quality and printer output quality meet?
  • Options
    that's a good point. I print out about 15 pics a year at A4 size on a mid range (£200)Epson Stylus Photo which is about 720dpi I think, which is not very high def, but it's easily good enough for putting on the walls at home or giving to family as gifts. The D70 is 6MP sensor which is more than I need for this purpose. I think 4mp woul have been good enough (I don't typically crop very much b4 printing)

I also have a 19" monitor screwed to the kitchen wall and I rotate pictures on the screen saver which is lower definition than the prints of course.

But it's the big lens that gives the out of focus background and makes me look like a good photographer which I'm not!
  • Options
    Lots more variables when you actually start thinking about it aren't there. You could start adding ink and aper into the equation as well and we're not even talking the issues of B&W photography....... :O

:)
  • Options
    Good point, likewise. At this point I just take anything fancy I want to have printed out to one of the commercial labs. But ultimately, there is a limit to how much the human eye can differentiate colours, so I don't think it's really an issue after a certain point, it's more for statistical purposes unless you do enlargements. Of course, it's annoying if something looks not quite 100% right, nobody else thinks there's anything wrong with the colours, but you just know!
    I tend to keep eveything on my laptop & discs, I like your idea, Blackers, I could put a monitor with a slideshow in my bathroom! :)

In the end, I guess you just have to choose whether it's economically viable to get a top of the range printer (no need to go for a dye sublimation printer!), or know what quality of output you want, and muck about with the dpi's available for resolution when you're at the stage where you're ready to print. The quality of the image (i.le how blurred/clear it is) also has something to do with it, but that's another issue!
  • Options
    b/w photography? Fortunately, Earl, the ones of me are in a safety deposit box :o

• Options
    Black & white; what did you think...?

:)
  • Options
    <I have a tolerant but suspicious mind> :)

B/W photography- aesthetics, of course!
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    There is also the cost of a good imaging package for your PC if you go digital.

I use Paint Shop Pro, which I think is better value than Photoshop- it does what I want it to do- I dont need the professional 500 quid variety(you can pick up version 8 for 20 quid, 9 for 25 quid and the newest 10, for at 40 something. 9 does the job for me)

I next to never print my pictures but, but I do like to keep them in an online gallery which I pay for. For me, its really a way of accessing my pics from wherever I am at, not so much for showing people.

My Sony H1 nature gallery with fotopics

As a scrapbook, its also nice to see your skills develop and alter over time as you improve or get used to your new camera or whatever.

It lets you see what a picture looks like: most of mine need to be cropped but am needing to install the software again.

• Options
    Hi

i havn't waded through posts, but got latest 'which' yesterday, canon eos 350D and nikon D50, got best marks for just about everthing. Canon a bit faster.
  • Options
    Dan Dan- I just spotted your post with the link to your photos! Wow- great stuff, you are very talented! For no particular reason, my favourite is the one of a mass of flowers with the yellow tulip in the centre. I've signed up with finepic (just the free stuff)in the meantime, thanks for that, & will upload some stuff soon too, so you can have a look if you like.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Excellent, and thanks for that, moomoo.

Its great to share, because it gives you so many ideas and you think 'I'll try that myself' or, 'that was bad, I'll learn from that and do it this way when I do it myself'.

My repertoire is very very limited, but as my knowledge of my camera grows, I am looking at moving slowly onto other subject areas. I just love animals and nature, so its no hardship to go out and experiment. For every shot that reasonably works, 100 dont, but I like that too, I like to learn from my mistakes.
  • Options
    Dan Dan-
    It can be an advantage to specialize in a particular area. Have you thought of submitting pictures to a picture library or similar before? You've possibly heard of them before, the BAPLA (British Association of Picture Libraries and Agencies)and they also have some interesting vacancies listed with various organizations.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Noooooooo, not at this stage,they're not good enough.

Maybe in time.

Shall investigate that link though, ta.
  • Options
    Mine aren't quite yet either, but good to have a possible aim if some of the results are good and other people like one's work! I only just got a high resolution digital camera, and I've never used manual settings much, which is why I'm thinking of eventually getting a 2nd hand digital SLR. I prefer pics of architecture, the outdoors, that sort of thing, less of people.
    Have a good one!
  • Options
    5 bits.

1. I bought a Canon EOS 350D with a USM lens, a bag, a UV filter and 2 512 MB superfast cards.
    2. I have no idea what any of that means really.
    3. Thanks to everyone on here for responses.
    4. In the right hands will my camera do ones as good as Dandans who is a fotography God?
    5. I took some pictures of some guys cliff jumping in Dorset. I set the wodgit to the running bloke and pressed and held the go button for four seconds. Got 4 pictures of them in mid air before they hit the water and they asked me to email them with the piccies when they saw the results!

Have to learn the computer now.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Good purchase. Now, comes the fun part! Getting out there and learning what it does and doesn't do.

It'll take ages, but thats the fun of having a hobby, isn't it!

You'll get some great people shots with that set up- dont expect close ups of ducks from a million squillion miles away though! That is the strength of my camera, each one has its own.

Find what your one does well, and do it. And most of all, enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    Congrats, Dusty! Let us know how you get on with it!:)

Hi Dan Dan, still haven't uploaded pics yet, I'm still choosing them, but yesterday I got a shot of a bumblebee in the middle of a purple flower (don't know types) I was really happy with!!!
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Good stuff moomoo!

Get 'em up!
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    It has to be done!

I'm just uploading a last few before bed.

Really need to get mmy new version of Paint Shop as so many of the ones I have put on yesterday and today just need to be cropped to maximise their impact.

Its the only tinkering I like to do.
  • Options
    The vast majority of my pics were taken with a camera that only has 2.0 megapixels, an Olympus (no zoom) which is still pretty good though ancient, I took a lot of pics for RichK with that in the past, I don't think he uses anything fancy himself unless he upgraded, he had a Canon somethng last time I looked. With my new camera, I can tell the diff. (7.1 megapixels) particularly when I zoom in, of course. I haven't invested in any fancy software yet, I just use arcsoft photoimpression 5, which is fine for now.