Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    welcome gatorade

nice half, I'm sure you can hang on to a 3hr off a 1.17 half

Finchley is off for me as the lad I was pacing has bailed out :¬(
  • Options
    Just seen the weather forecast, and the benefits of a Saturday 20miler are becoming more apparent - all of you running Sunday might need to pack your thermals I think...

Am plotting to run sensibly on Saturday - 1st half at 7min/mile then try and race the second half (which may well simply mean not slowing down!)

Will report back on Saturday night and offer my gloves to the highest bidder :-)
  • Options
    Gater Defp do sub 3 hours, if youv'e done enough long runs, what and how long you been doing?

Njord Nice one mate, sounds like your'e going well then, blimey, I haven't done anything remotely speed orientated this week... can barely run lol...

Went back to physio tonight, and she reckons achillies isn't as tight, but says I've got to get a proper massage in once every 4 - 6 weeks otherwise I'm going to be in trouble... she worked her majic, and they're hurting a bit tonight... however, should be okay for a run toorrow night I think...

Still going to race Sunday and see how I go...

Pug
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    snow and cold are fine for running in

I hate rain
  • Options
    Rain is the daddy of all running conditions, ya big ponce lol

Pug
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    why the hell are you still here ?

go to bed
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Gatorade- Welcome and many congrats on that fantastic half time at - must have been one hell of a surprise. With that speed, and having the legs that have been there and done it twice, the Devon jury would bet on you to make it third time on the bounce.

Recovery week progressing well, 10 pints and 1 winner at Cheltenham on Tuesday and 28 slowish mles so far. 15 mile today, 10 tomorrow and then 22 on Sunday to hopefully make it back upto 75 for the week.

Ode- Best of luck for Rome.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Welcome Gatorade. I think that we've actually met before (seeing as how we're both from the right side of the border), at a couple of races. Certainly I've noticed your name in race results. You'll probably recognise me as being from/with www.sweatshop.co.uk <shameless link in order to drum up business!>, and I'm often at races, although not your side of the country as often as I would like.

As for advice, I'll repeat what others have said. So long as you've done your long runs (with enough RB & Crab stylee NADs out miles too), you should be absolutely grand. You know the rules - don't follow Pug, and batter the first 20M trying for a 2.45. Nice 'n' steady and I reckon you could be on for a 2.50, esp after Inverness.

Still nothing much doing here. Managing to build back up to about 50M, with a 20M attempt on Sat. Patella still giving me gyp though.
  • Options
    Did the 30 min effort followed by the 8/400m as JEJ suggested (checked the plan I should have done that last week but never cos I felt ill), rep times were comparable with the fastest ones from the 15x400m session of 2 weeks ago – so was well pleased. Felt really strong again .
    I’ve done 3 MP/intervals sessions in the last 7 days, plus a LSR and steady 8 milers on the days in between. Getting there, by Jove !

Only downside last night was that due to all the Ibuprofen I’ve been taking, I had to put an increasing source of energy in to keeping the “one way valve clamped shut”
    and preventing the “bomb-bay doors” opening. I’ve never been so pleased to sit on the potty afterwards – verging on the sexual !

Pug
    I’m doing the MG one run/day plan and usually average about 60ish miles, most has been 70 – Dull is on the Man’s MG plan. I followed it roughly at the start (it’s all steady/easy stuff and there’s none of this % of HR jargon - so suited me as a beginner) and its only the last few weeks that it’s introduced the speedier work. If there’s no detailed session then most days are steady 60 min (about 8 miles for me).The only real change that I’ve made to it is to push the LSR up from 2hrs to 2h 30m, which gives me a 20 miler every week. I only bag about 16 in 2 hrs, and wouldn’t feel confident without the 20’s in the bank. MG’s idea is that all the rest of the runs (including a midweek 12/13) are instead of a 20. And although he is the big cheese (I’m the baby bel), I felt I needed the 20’s. But, he’s cool with that.

He has been ace, he answers questions (when he is around) and tells little stories from his running experience. He got Hilly to an ace time last year, and JEJ has used his plan in the past too – hopefully I won’t be too far away from sub3 either.

RB

Tell me more about your patella - you've no doubt been bored by my knee-cap tales.

Gatorade

Well done on outing yourself - they are all quite friendly really.

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    GOBI!
    looks like i'll be bringing up the rear at finchley then. i'm pace setting for my imaginary friend.
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just popping on to wish ODE all the best in Rome....Have a good one fella

Gatorade- Welcome aboard,and big congratulations on that recent half performance thats a terrific time.

Well,I had a pleasant surprise yesterday when i got home,a letter from the Fleet half had arrived and in was a £10 voucher off any asics product(from sweatshop so thanks for the shameless plug R.B) apparently i was 3rd vet40.....hardly a life changing sum of money but still my first ever pick-up so it was gratefully received.

Good luck to all the racers this w/e
  • Options
    Morning all and welcome Gatorade - I hope I get a surprise like that on Sunday...

Taper hasn't gone overly well as work has stepped up to fill the gap left by running, but managed 6 with 4 at HM pace yesterday and didn't feel too bad.

How bad are the weather reports then?

Best of luck Ode.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Ode, good luck...

bagged 19 before work this morning, lovely morning for running..

sunday looks like an absolute turd..
  • Options
    CM

19 miles before work. Blimey, I’m impressed – unless you start work at 11 am that is.

If I’m to keep this running lark going I may have to run before work, that would be a tough morning though - I’m pedalling by 7:30.

The SPO (sports prevention officer – missus – I saw this term somewhere the other day, made me chuckle ) is getting a bit pissed of with my daily running – but come to that so am I now – the novelty has worn off a bit.
    Still the end is in sight now, and the pain/glory.
    But have to say I really enjoy the intervals sessions, I really like to hammer myself a bit.
    Hope I enjoy miles 20 to 26 so much!
  • Options
    gobi shame you wont be there on sunday, you could always come along for the fun of it!

The weather for Finchley 20 seems to have picked up, it was showing potential snow, but now +7 degrees and sunny spells.

Thanks and good night
    Michael Fish
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    TR, out the door @ 6:30 to arrive at work before 9. It was only 7:40 pace though, so not really hard work ..

miles 20-26 are always sh!te, if you are enjoying them you have gone too easy in the first 20 :-D
  • Options
    A lady has telephoned in asking about a Hurricane.......
  • Options
    CM,

I bike to work and have to have a splash in the sink when I get there.

We're not set up with showers etc to be able to run in. Shame really.

Plus I have to carry half a supermarket in my rucksack to fuel the days eating.

I expect miles 20 to 26 to be agony, just hope I enjoy it a bit in a sick Lance Armstrong sort of way.
  • Options
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Reporting in. Some good running from the newbie (Gatorade).
    Thought I was getting over achilles problem then wham pain again in right calf/heel on last weeks Thursday run. Was running down club to add xtra miles but got a couple of miles down road and felt pain so turned back and only ended up as 4. Haven't done too much running since then and decided to go to track on Tues which was a 2k, 10 x 200 then 2k. Managed 6.39 on 2k but still feeling pain so decided to take the 200's easy and after 4 reps still in pain so just ended up doing 3 x 400's and calling it a day. Been doing a fair bit of biking though which will help for the dual with CM in June.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    JH1, thats bad news.. I kinda wish you were doing more running too ;0)

my biking is back on par again, in fact had my best threshold turbo last night holding 300w with "ease". HR never got anywhere near threshold. Will be doing a 25mTT about 10 days before Lanza so that will sign of where I'm at. I'd like to average about 310w, which @ 70kg, give me a ratio of 4.4, which should put me well sub 60mins.

swimming is stalling at the minute, can't get my 400m time down below 6:19 :( (pants I know). I guess a lot of fast 100's would help ? Any ideas ?
  • Options
    CM - try hard 25m repeats, going off 37 or 38s (eg. hopefully between 12s per rep with 26s recovery and 30s with 8s recovery).
  • Options
    Sunday's weather forecast for The Peak District...

'Winds of 45mph gusting to 65mph'

'Heavy snow showers merging to form several hours of blizzard conditions'

'Temperatures 2 degrees dropping to minus 2, but feeling more like minus 18 with the windchill'

I thought the Edale Skyline race
    (21 miles/4500') would be slightly more scenic than Finchley and would get some miles in the legs for London - now I'm not so sure...

WS
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    cheers JEJ, how many of those should I be looking to string together ?
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CM

Planning to do a few 25TT's soon and 1st maybe on Good Friday.

Not that I'm swimming all that much at the mo but main aim is in July so will have done a good couple of months bulk by then. Best sessions I do with the club are 19 x 200 (3800 total, Ironman distance) with 20secs rest. Good for pace and endurance. Here's a few sets I did in the last year where I was swimming well and think these are great sets and most of them are 200's.

1st session all 20's rest
    200 2.44
    200 2.42
    200 2.40
    200 2.43
    200 2.41
    200 2.45
    200 2.43
    200 2.47
    200 2.43
    200 2.44
    200 2.46
    200 2.47
    200 2.47
    200 2.48
    200 2.48
    200 2.57
    Total 3200

2nd session 20s rest
    400 5.41
    200 2.39
    200 2.41
    300 4.06
    200 2.42
    200 2.44
    300 4.11
    200 2.42
    200 2.47
    400 5.47
    200 2.45
    200 2.50
    Total 3000

• Options
    Aim for 16 - 20 at that pace.

For similar sets I used to start quite easy (slow reps, short recovery), but gradually increased the speed (and subsequently recovery) until the last 4 were more or less flat out. On average (middle 10) pace should be 'fast but comfortable'.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    fck me JH1 you are a fish.. Were you drafting in those sets ?

Will give those and Jej's (thanks) sessions a go. I think I've fallen into the plod up and down trap just recently..
  • Options
    CM/JH1/JEJ

Impressive stuff.

I used to do a couple of lunchtime swims per week (typically 30min f/crawl) before all this running took over my life, looking to get back to it soon too. Exercising at lunchtime gives me a couple of evenings back per week.

My kids put my slash-stroke to shame – even my youngest who’s 5 was swimming drills with the pull-buoy,kick-float and doing “catch-up” the other night at their training/lesson.

Do you folks run everyday when you are in training for marathons ? How do you balance your training for an IM eg 4 runs, 4 bikes, 2 swims ?

I’d like to think I could maintain my newly acquired running fitness for a while on 3 or 4 days running per week, plus a couple of swims and my commuting pedalling(which when I’m not doing FLM will go back to as much as a Hilly 60 min each way, some days), what do you think ?

WS
    All the best for the weekend, another super fast time on minimal running again I suppose - good for you, I’m just jealous.

All the best to the other weekend racers, especially Ode.

Nice one on the prize, GR. A career change coming up ?