Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Running Bhoy 2:59:54 was my chip time, I have to say my gun time was 3:00:38. It would have been the icing on the cake to get the gun time sub 3 as well, but in that heat I'm more than happy with just my chip time dipping under (even though it was by only 5 seconds)!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Stet - Lik the sound of your impromptu marathon decision there? Go for a walk, nah think I'll run a marathon. Good Luck be interesting how the legs hold-up post 20m.

Legs aching nicely after yesterdays long-run, but ego sky-high after dinner party last night involving lots of marathon wannabees (some very-good looking f)hanging on every word of wisdom. We are the new gods.
  • Options
    Prob too late, but best of luck to those racing today - perfect conditions here. I hope that's the case elsewhere.

Looking fwd to the reports.
  • Options
    heh - nice work Ouchie.... gotta get into this dinner party scene. ;0)
  • Options
    Hail Hail

19M done as promised. A bit much 2 weeks out I admit, but since I missed last weeks long run, I felt that I needed a confidence boost. 6.50 ave pace over a decently hilly course. Even managed a few middle (flat) miles at close to MP. My ankle was uncomfortable during the first 6/7M, but then seemed to loosen off. Nothing too serious.

Anyway, decision made. I'm doing Edinburgh with 2.45 as the target. 2 weeks ago, I was pretty confident, but now it'll be close. Unless I do a whats now referred to as a DanA, sub3 is a shoe-in, with 2.50 a decent shout. I doubt that I'm in PB shape, but will give it a go.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    Ranelagh stats.

It was good to see Dan A and Pug before the race.

I hope the journey home wasn’t too bad Pug and make sure you recover well. You clearly must have a dodgy virus. 2 weeks to Ed is enough time to recover (I hope). Anyway all the best.

My target today was to go out ‘steady to hard’ and to push on after 8 miles.

Mile
    2 12:32 (165ave)
    3 6:38 (162ave)
    4 6:27 (169ave)
    5 6:28 (168ave)
    6 6:22 (170ave)
    7 5:51 (172ave)
    8 6:36 (173ave)
    9 6:25 (174ave)
    11 12:47 (174ave)
    12 6:05 (180ave)
    13.1 6:36 (183ave)

82’ 53” 171ave 187max (6:20s)

All in all I’m happy today. The only frustration was to see Dan A about 400m ahead of me with 2 miles to go. I worked bloody hard to track him down, but the begger just pipped me by about 20 yards. Nice one Dan! It proves that beer is an essential pre race fuel.

Conclusions: 1.loads of miles are good, 2. beer is good, 3. tapering is for girls. (4. Northerners suffer from wheezy chestie coughs due to lots of smog from the cotton mills, while 5. southerners go out on the lash for 7 days and still bang out half decent times).

I have done zero quality work for 4 weeks (excluding the 26.6 miler!) and my 168bpm pace is still about 6:30s. I aim for 168 to be my marathon heart rate. Sub 3 will happen before I turn 50!! I have bagged 2x85', an 83' and an 82' half marathon times since Christmas. on,on,on!!

Ps. This was a fast course!! (but not as fast as Brentwood)
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    it was 26.6 because i was wobbling all over the road.
  • Options
    great run n2 - is that a pb then?
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    good to meet DanA and Pug after the 1/2m today..

sorry to have missed you nichs2, don't be so skinny next time ;0). Great run BTW..

just a simple 40 miles on the bike for me today in richmond park.. f'ckin minging weather...

do2, somewhere around 11 hours would be tops. I reckon if it were a normal IM I'd be around 10:00-10:15. Lanza is very tough and seems to add on around an hour at that sort of pace (even more for the back of the field !). Run wise I'd love to post a 3:3x time, but that will be very tough. I'm definitely in and around 3 hour shape for a fresh marathon, but as I've learnt in the past that means fck all after the 183.8km warmup ;0)
  • Options
    Just a nice 1:24:12 HM at Tewkesbury for me today. Not a pb, but well happy.

I can't possibly accuse the old bearded one for inaccurate mile markers, therefore I am happy to claim a mile time of 5:51 at mile 8, just before my warm down of 7:14 on mile 9.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    NM2
    no, not a pb by 1 minute.

CM
    the weather was spot on!! Sorry not to see you, but I had a little 2 miler along the towpath back to my car and I wasn't hanging around to catch the lurgy off PUG!
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    blisters
    nice run!

Your race performances, training and age are too similar to mine. Do your own stuff and stop copying me.
    For info: my pbs are
    5k 18'40
    10k 39'08
    10m 63'40
    1/2 81'48
    mar 3:03'20

age45
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Good to meet Dan A and Pug at Ranelagh.
    Pug - hope you're OK, you looked a bit weary.

I was pretty pleased with my race. Ran steady 6:15s to half way, then picked up to 6mm pace for the rest, finishing within 15 secs of target in 1:19:40.

Maybe should have gone a bit quicker, but Green Belt Relay next week.

• Options
    Hi All,

TR. Thankyou for the thoughts expressed in your post earlier. I did think of you at one point yesterday - something along the lines of, lucky b68t25d at his bbq not having to field 26 2-4 yr olds on inflateable play!

Blisters. Good to meet you today, thought it was especially genrerous of you to set me up with a fit young blonde running partner for miles 2 to 6! She dropped back shortly after I'd shared some water with her - maybe she was worried about what other fluids I might offer! As someone else has said elswhere- it was a funny old race, not flat, but not hilly, not urban, but traffic dodging through the town, and not wet (for us at least) but not warm and dry either.

1:23:20 for me. 3 1/2s this year, and 1 minute slower each time. At this rate I'll soon be back to the 1:30 that was my pb until Feb. If you'd have offered me a 1;21, a 1:22, and a 1:23 this time last year I'd have snapped yer hand off, just ssms a little disapointing to do them in that order though.

Everytime my mind wandered my legs reverted to mara pace - so a little mental training may be in order (or perhaps more sleep - overslpt this morning and recorded a bed to start time faster then my race time!)
  • Options
    Cartman:
    It was Do7 that was asking about your IML time, but I read youur post with interest. Definitely Lanzorote's climbs, heat and lack of shelter from the wind is worth an hour on your time. When I did it I was probably only in 3:30 mara shape, but was so relieved to get off the bike I did the first 5k at 3:15 pace. Soon slowed down though and ended up with about 5 1/2 hrs for the run (from memory - could prob look it up if you like - but you will smash my 13:26 overall tiem anyway.)

Went to Startford after the 1/2 today, to have a look at the tri there. So glad i chose to race at Tewksbury and got in before the heavens really opened. They were looking wetter at the end of the bike than when they came out of the pool in the tri- and than a xc run to finish - nice!
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Good to see a high forum turnout at Ranelagh this morning. Only got back from holiday at 9pm last night, following an estimated 200+ alcohol units in the preceding seven days.

Worked out that I was pi$$ed up in a Puerto Banus nightclub only 27 hours before the off, so nice to get an unexpected 1.22 - didn't even bother to wear a watch as was only trying for a cleanser. Think I am close to adopting the CRAB zero training approach to running in future.

Tmap - great time mate; you were out of sight within a mile of overtaking me.
    Pug - just take it easy until E'boro and you'll be back on track.

Oh, and West Ham got a result, so a good day all round.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    sounds like some good half times today sorry to hear Pug is man down but as said by others 2 weeks is plenty of time to recover and still be ready for a good Edinburgh.

I ran the Woodley 10km today and I am stunned to report I was 3rd senior man 5th overall and ran 35.04. On top of that my splits were 17.40-17.24 so a neg split and inside my 5km PB.

• Options
    Thats a storming 10k Gobi - and position. Are you still doing high mileage as well?

Nice to see the HM reports sounds like a mixed bag of a weekend on the sub-3 thread.

Still lurking, not much to report as been enjoying beer and cake again and not thinking about PBs and marafuns for a change. Wore my new fell-shoes for first time and had a blast running up 3 Munros (Beinn a' Ghlo) with no walking at all, brilliant fun - nice to get something different out of the marathon fitness.

Nice to get back to running purely for fun again without self-inflicted pressure of tergats. Although I reckon I'm almost ready for that daftness again now :-)..

RB, pug - hope things clear up in time for Edinburgh.

nichs2 that's an interesting set of PBs - Was that HM time recent cos it seems to suggest you're capable of much faster 10k and marathon times..?
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    gaterade
    i hate 10ks. 39 and a bit was set 6 years ago, but don't get me going about marathon times!

GOBI
    kin ell man....that's a good time.
  • Options
    Gobi Great time mate. Reckon you could have gone quicker at FLM you know ;o)

I wish the weather in OOsville had reached the level of fckn minging that would have been some improvement. I think it is safe to report that those who once thought the earth was flat probably didn't eat clotted cream sandwiches or do a great (unintentional) impression of Jethro. Some yokel was telling me there were only a few undulations until the end now after 60 miles. Looked in the dictionary and it makes no mention of undulation being a relative term. Made me wonder who was gonna win the King of the Undulations in this year's Tour. Always nice to pick up a brace of punctures in the worst of the weather too.

A few fair efforts on display in the halfs.

n2 I'm supposed to pick a fight with you when I've got the humpton not you with me!! Although I'm skinny with a funny gait I'm still two stone heavier than you. Pick on someone your own size. Scobie Breasley perhaps? (Although you might have to dig him up first I think.)

Anyway fellas (seeing as the lesser spotteds are even lesser spotted than normal these days) as you were.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Gatorade

done off 74 miles including a 17.32 5km yesterday and 100 miles the week before so I guess yes is the answer.

cheers nichs2

10kms hurt, for about 30 seconds after the finish :¬)

an ultra the pain last days
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    cheers crab

another yellow card for me

ROFLOLPMSL and still laughing at that
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    Scobie Breasley?
    Who
  • Options
    You're way older than me. I'm not buying the fact you don't know who he is. But just for you.

Scobie Breasley

As you were.
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    1.30.xx for me at Tewks today. I seem to be regressing nicely and appear to buck the trend of drinking and not training to improve performance. Could have pushed a bit harder to knock a couple of mins off but no point with mara coming up

I'll scuttle off to the sub 3.30 thread as that'll be the Windermere time next week :)
  • Options
    Oooh Have I got a Stalker, N2?
    5k - 18:33
    4m - 24:21
    5m - 30:50
    10k - 38:30
    10m - 65:43 (or 64:04 as a split)
    HM - 1:23:44
    M - 3:06:03
    Age 45.
    2006 was a poor year, but I am back for 2007.

Do2: It was my pleasure to offer you a challenge. I was surprised that she faded so badly, I took her on the back route (phnarr, phnarr).
    You looked good, and refused stubbornly to fade into my target zone.
  • Options
    Ode:

Sorry not to see you at Tewksbury - didn't even realise you were running. Don't think it was as fast as everyone was making out before hand if thats any consolotaion.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Some nice 1/2's out there people.

More ace stuff from Robo-Gobi too. You need to get some posters made Gobi, we all need one to pin up.

CRAB
    I thought of you today. They sent in the Army to evacuate the Ten Tors lot too. I guessed you'd be changing punctures in the rain - due to all the debris washed on to the road. Well played for sticking at it. At least you got in a bit of swim training at the same time as the cycling.

I've done the grand sum of zero training this weekend (reminds me of a few pre-FLM weekends) due to family stuff. Don't suppose a bit more rest will do me any harm. I had best get my act together and get some times under my belt.

Family must have been taking note of my running - they gave me a HRM ! And a few bottles of red. But I'm afraid to say (CM) that the bottles of red still excite me more than a HRM though !

Ode - Not sure what to say, except I'm off for a beer - you had best come too.
  • Options
    Blisters,

Fade I did though.

According to Garmin, after you took me through the first mile in 5:55, I did a 6:12, 6:15, 6:21, 6:30, 6:22, 6:28, 6:30, 6:31, 6:22, 6:19, 6:24, 6:12, and the last bit at 5:38 pace!

So, a fade to the middle and then a recovery when I started to think I might get caught in the rain! Like I said, when my mind wanders, my legs revert to (what I wish was) mara pace.
  • Options
    What a day, another sub 3 to report!

Did Halstead today, 2 hrs 57 mins 43 seconds, picked up an Essex champs team gold medal and a joint bronze in the Essex male open! Even knocked off some time for a post London pb!

Good running had by all the sub 3 forum racers today, superb!