Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Excellent clouds!  Similar to William of Normandy's portents in 1066...
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Don't want to steal her thunder, as I know she is updating a blog, but I ran today with Jools. Added some bonus mileage due to absence of signage on the occasions when we had to be on a particular side of the river (and weren't). She ran well today and I'm sure she'll continue to run strongly on her own for the next couple of days.

PS, we started at 11am, and finished at last light. About 30 very muddy miles. Very enjoyable.
  • Options
    No thunder stolen. I prioritised a hot bath, stretching and then stuffing my face with a 3 course dinner! Thanks again for the company, Dan. Hope your journey back was ok. I'll leave at 10am tomorrow to try and make sure I finish in the light...

TR: I do sometimes run at 7am on a weekday; I'm just not good at running before then. But in a sense you're right about today; if SL saw me at 7.30am I was only just getting out of bed :¬p
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice effort Jools & hope the nosh was nice, one down two to go.  Good of DanA to accompany you, though he does seem to like absurdly long runs!  Hope it's not too soggy tomorrow.

A mere 9.4m for me today in t shirt & shorts.  12 coming to our house for Xmas day and suddenly I can't find anything in the fridge now it's full of festive tucker!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Jools - only joshing ! 7am training ! good job daley has retired or you'd have worried him into getting out there 4 times on Sunday !.............Great effort. Proud to know you. Hope the fried eggs were up to standard ! 

Wardi - great miles again, at least you have some food in our fridge and cupboards are bare cos the SPO doesnt want to stock up too early !

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - Daley more likely to be propping up the bar at the White Hart in Barnes these days. Ray Stubbs also a regular there.
  • Options
    Happy belated birthdays Mr Boat and Dull Napoleon.

Well done today Joolska, I hope the rest of it goes well.

Still not doing much here, down to about 10 miles a week recently but hoping that I'll be recovered enough to resume proper training at the start of the year. In desperation I've started doing an hour a day on the stationery bike.

Anyone been watching the darts? The best first round I can remember, surely there must be at least one 9 darter on the way.

Merry Christmas one and all.
  • Options

Also just popping in to offer some additional moral support to Jools.  Nice effort from Dan to keep her company as well.  I can't get that Chris Rea song out of my head, all the time I'm reading the blog updates.

Well I'm running again.  I've managed 50 miles so far this month, keeping things nice and easy at an average pace of 8:07/m and HR 138/69% max.  That includes 3 x 10 milers, one of which was a deeply hungover run before breakfast, in Lanzarote on Saturday morning.  Also managed 73 miles on a crappy, rusty-chained mountain bike the following day on one of the windiest days I've ever ridden a bike.  Legs felt surprisingly fresh at the end of it.

Famous sports people in pubs, hmmm... I remember seeing Alan Minter propping up a bar after a Sunday friendly cricket match many years ago.  I've also played cricket against David Essex, but he's not a sportsperson and he wasn't in the pub afterwards. 

• Options
    10.17m @ 7:12mpm felt okay at 5am
  • Options

Went out for a pub lunch a few years back and Darren Gough walked in.

Nice going Jools.  How do the legs feel this morning?

Phil - you can go as fast on a crappy, rusty-chained mountain bike as on any other bike as the machine does not make a difference, yes?image

• Options
    Legs are ok (in the sense of they covered over 30M yesterday ok, clearly); they can cope with stairs, so I'm hoping they can cope with the Caen Hill flight. Fewer crossing points today and I start with 9M on one side of the canal, so fingers crossed no navigational issues. I'll probably start with a run/walk strategy today (Dan assures me many ultra runners do well off this) because 33M is 7M further than I ran in training, and 3M further than I've ever run before. And I don't think I'll be feeling the training benefit of yesterday's run today! Little Bedwyn, here I come image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PP - nice stuff, you are running nearly as many miles as me again already

Jools - great stuff, sounds like the prep worked well. I wondered how many you were doing each day and how long it was taking.

8M bagged earlier

• Options
    Popping in to support Joolska on the intrepid run home. Hope you have a decent day, and no mishaps with the route. Stay strong.
  • Options

Just caught up after a few busy days. Quite often see Mike Tindall in the pub at the end of the road. I think they live fairly local to us.

Jools- Fantastic effort.

Nice to see BR/Dull

Lev-  Nice to see you. I did Rome back in 2007. Wasn't my best day but as far as I recall, the course has a bit of everything. They make up the miles running out of the centre and onto dual carriageway type roads. It then comes back in to the centre and through Piazza Navona at about 20 miles and the last couple of km's around the Coliseum. I was in a whole world of pain and didn't notice the cobbles as being too much. I certainly would like to go back and do it again. There are a number of places where illness (some of it self-induced) has meant an under-performance. I'm sure many of us on here are the same.

Great result at work this week  after 11 months.

And in other news, mini-ode is due in the middle of next year. We're over the moon image

All in all, 2012 has been pretty good.

• Options
    Barnsley Runner wrote (see)

Phil - you can go as fast on a crappy, rusty-chained mountain bike as on any other bike as the machine does not make a difference, yes?image

Pretty much.  I just have to remember to double the dose of EPO the day before.  image

Good work all round, Ode!!

• Options

Popping in v quickly to wish Jools all the best for the rest of her run, hope the weather gods shine on you.

Not much to report here, life getting in the way but starting to see some light so hoping to get back to it shortly.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Ode - Congratulations on both counts. Was that the case you left after the Gloucester marathon last year to deal with? Speaking of which, are you doing it again next month? I'm signed up; Marigold is doing the 50k as a long training run too for all you celeb spotters.

FR - yeah the darts has been brilliant so far. Have been a fan (and player) for over 25 years. And I've been invited as a VIP guest to the final on Jan 2nd. Should put paid to the NY resolutions quite quickly.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Jools - great effort so far - well done - hope today wasn't too hard!

Ode - does indeed sound a great year - 2011 and 2012 for that matter for you!  Congratulations.

Nice to see BR - hope you nail that marathon this time up to the (high) standard you desire.

PP sounds a great time in Lanzarote and your fitness sounds OK.

DanA - the darts should be chaos.

more good training TR and Wardi and no doubt Gobi and others i've missed.  Glad the arm is improving CW, and hope you start to turn the corner soon too FR.

Looks like another 50 or 60 mile week for me coming up, if i manage to get myself out for a long run tomorrow - not too bad in between all the xmas parties and what not, so plodding along.  right leg is creaking and moaning in the usual spots, but i'm still on ignore mode setting and it might go away... here's hoping.

• Options
    Hi andy - nice to see another Welshman on this thread (I wonder if you are a FB friend?) - not quite 5am, but 14.1miles at 5.30am - 1st long run of my 12 week plan (though was meant to be Sunday - Xmas day - yeah right!?) - averaged 7m17s, though threw in a few sub 6m30s miles near the end. Felt good - enjoyed it - 1st week of plan and will be a (rare) 50+miles - thanks to about 15miles of midweek/very early morning running
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Selbs - dont stop ! thats when it all goes wrong for you.

Ode - awesome, I'm over the moon for you too. If its a boy I have plenty of different sized cricket bats !

Any news on Jools today ?

Rare full house for me today, 8M on the hill early doors, a lunchtime swim and then a 60 min turbo inc 40min at 80% after work as there was no-one home. Think I've earned a few cold ones later.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Jools update here on her blog.

Wet, bedraggled, tired - but 65 miles in and still going strong.

Go Joolska...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - great work, well toughed out.
  • Options

Dan- Cheers. Yes and yes in answer to your questions. Planning on 2.59 all things being well. Need an A seed and would rather here than leaving it for VLM. It' also a good pointer early on in season. How's things your end. Been following the updates.

Gobi  is planning on running and hasn't yet decided which to do. ALso running with chap off Comrades forum who won Leicester this year.If you fancy a train... Be good to see how Marigold goes image

Well done Jools.

TR- Definitely. I still have my Slazenger Colt Size 5 that I still used in the sixth form!!

• Options
    Just dropping in to wish Jools good luck for tomorrow.  Really well done on the first two days.
  • Options

Well done Jools -- the rain was torrential for a spell here in Wolverhampton.

Nice training selbs and TR.

I did 17M this morning; could have made it 20 easily, but thought I should be conservative. Day off tomorrow and then a run on Christmas morning I think, which I always enjoy...

• Options

Well done to Jools....drive it on; look foward to the next blog entry.

Going to do my long run tomorrow (17mi) leaving just 6 for Christmas day so more time for cooking the dinner.

• Options
    Hi John Bach, I dont believe you are a facebook friend though you could add me (I'm useless at finding people (andy edwards)
    Am just to get going again after a 3 1/2 week holiday off work an discovering that not bein on me feet all day means it took a week to get going again, just 30miles this week, hopefully better next week image
    Also 10.25m in 1 hr 16 mins this morning image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MrB - nice thinking, although Christmas Day is always a zero for me.

Tired and hungry 16M for me today after y'days full house. That finishes the week with 4 runs for 46M, 4 turbos and 2 swims. Rest day tomorrow. 46M is a nice step up from last weeks 40M week. I think I'm well placed for a decent 2012 if I can add a bit of quality to all 3 disciplines.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Happy Xmas to all on here, hope it's a good'un.

Nice training TR. Hope your run goes well tomorrow Mr B and happy belated birthday. Hope your run is going well Jools

Marshalled my local park run this morning then knocked out a steady 15 and a bit miles which felt comfortable. So I'm on target to getting myself back to a good level of fitness by the end of the year before I ramp things up. Got some good targets for the spring and a shift in focus training wise so feel nicely rejuvenated.

Regards,

RS

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Merry xmas in advance to all too. Hope the run's going well, Jools.

Similarly got a long run in today so that I feel slightly less guilty for overindulging this evening and tomorrow... Did just over 18m with a MP section of 13.1 in 79:30 (6:04 minute miles). Loosely following a Pfitzinger schedule which called for 10 at MP but felt like I could go a bit further and quite fancied recording a sub 80 min half as I've not actually done that before. Have signed up for Rome, which is 12 weeks away (a week after I move there). Not sure I'll quite be up to maintaining that pace for a full marathon but encouraging nevertheless...

Brings up a 74.5 mile week, which is pretty much what I peaked at before Berlin so feeling quite good (on top of which I have just eaten what some might think of as an uncomfortable amount of sweets so am on a bit of a refined sugar high...)

Best to all.

Lev