Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    indeed TR, just not my scene

We had to abandon this evening when the hail stones came in sideways. It was actually painful.
  • Options
    Ha! That is a good story, Dan. Go for the V40 medal, Coro - you must be in with more than a decent shout.

Some very impressive training going on. The closest I've come to exercise is taking my nephew and niece to the park, but I may try ice-skating tomorrow (only really niggly bit is right AT, and that will be supported in ice-skates).
  • Options
    Has enjoyed a nice rest day after 8 days training, never really felt that it was needed but surely it wont do any harm, still feel fat though image also debating on whether to enter chester in october, is any one else doing it image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Time you have Jools, relax :¬)

So we did 2 days of laters run but got fed up so back to 5.15 and 10.4 miles completed before 7am.

Has been a solid month
  • Options
    Joolska - congratulations both on the fundraising and the very long run. There are some people who have a habit of popping out obscenely long runs at will, but to see a 'normal' runner doing it makes it seem if anything even more inspiring, and (almost) possible.

Dan
    - enjoy January 2nd. Should be awesome. I still have no idea who you'll be watching, but I wish I'd had money on Huybrechts from the start, which I thought about but (as usual) never quite got round to.

Ode - congratulations on your news.

Coro - good luck with your busy day! I hope it will all slot into place for you.

SL - that was a really impressive long run, it must bode well for your 2012 target.

Marigold - really enjoyed reading about your Christmas week. Truly inspiring stuff. I've copied and pasted it: if I can ever put together a block of training miles like that I'll still be a far slower runner than you, but at least I'll know I'm giving it my best shot.

GAWD - good to see you getting back into it. I did look for your name near the top of the Nottingham marathon results and was wondering what had happened. I've been told that the Christmas Eve Hackney Marshes parkrun was good fun, shame I wasn't around.

Apologies to all those doing great things whom I've missed.

I'm planning to resume running from January 1st. Had a nasty cough/cold/headachy thing over Christmas which reminded me of my pre-running days, I'm really looking forward to getting started again. Fingers crossed my achilles seems better now. An ultrasound recently didn't find any damage to my groin/lower abdomen which was disappointing, but the only exercise it really stops me doing is crunches so I'll go back to ignoring it and see what happens. I'm not sure whether I'll run London 2012, I'll probably only do it if I think I'm in PB shape.
  • Options
    2011 stats

Total miles: 2364
    Total miles Oct-Dec: 242
    Races: 14
    PBs: 14
    'A' targets achieved: 0
    2011 marathon best: 2:44:39

Every race this year was a PB so at least I'm still improving. However at the start of the year I was expecting much, much more. My training has been compromised by injury throughout the year, in particular from late June to the present. This is my first full year of posting on here and I'd have to judge it a disappointing year, running-wise. Not sure what that means, so while I try and work it out I'll wish you all a happy and successful 2012.

Happy running everyone.
  • Options

SL - recovery is going ok, should log my first week of decent mileage since September this week all going well. Have you got any races pencilled in for the lead-up to London?

CW - sounds like you're in good nick, that's a great pace for that 10M MP run.

Dan - ~6:50m/m for 22M is going some. Your FLM 2000 story made me laugh.

Coro - go for that V40 prize, reckon you're good for it.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Wardi - 90 mins with 60 at 80% makes a big puddle ! More good miles there, you deserve a decent return in April given the careful build up you've put in which is no resulting in some decent miles. Well played Wardi, your willpower was good to rest you injury when it was needed and you have rehabbed yourself well.

Gobi - old habits die hard, I've been treating myself to training at 8am this week

mmmmarmite - nice to hear that are building it back up

14M more for me today, so thats 16M Saturday, 13M Mon, 14M Weds and 14M Fri in a base building stylieeee !. No more running in 2011, I'm switching my long run to Sundays again as it gives my week better balance, although it might mean some early starts due to Sunday footy !

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Some very nice training going on - those of us with kids would envy Marigold's ability to fit in a 3 hour run on Christmas day!

Congratulations to Jools for her epic run - followed it on her blog and facebook and commented there, but well done!

And massive congratulations for Ode on his news.

TR: I'm still here (but only just). Work was really mental before Christmas and I've spent the last week recovering and re-evaluating. Been doing some training - but not that much. Been doing more eating and drinking.

I have to look at my year and reassess my options. I have a shedload of races entered: 3 half marathons before London, then London and some triathlons.

Realistically I will be too busy at work to train really hard for London this year. I also want to keep up with the swimming and biking. And in June I'm doing Ironman 70.3 UK. So I'm trying to work up a training plan with 4 runs, 3 swims, cycle commuting and one weekend ride. I reckon I can only run and swim before and after work, and I know that I won't be able to do that every day.

Still mulling over the options...
  • Options

Filthyrich-I did not run nottingham because I had problem with illness and injury. With my knee and I was not fit enough to do the marathon and I would be the only one coming up to nottingham. Then I got into some good training and then I twisted my ankle two weeks before the southern 6 stage. I had to pull out of that and limp around the met league. With no training and I came 46th at Claybury. That met league my aim was to finish and to finish in the top 50. Then I got a cold and flu cold and a fever and was just recovering from that when I got to stevenage for the next met league I came 39th my aim was to get in the top 40. Then it started to get better and I got some session under my belt for 6 weeks every tuesday and 6 weeks of long runs in a row. And in that batch I did well in the park run and the hamsphire league and the met league. Nearly after stevenage I nearly had enough.But I hope this is the last of patch of bad luck and I have a good last bit of the season. I have decided not to do the marathon for 4 years. And then may go back into it. I hope I can improve on my 27th at ruislip. In the next met league. And have a good 2012.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    MtR - nice to see you. Didnt know you had entered Wimbleball too. I've done the Swash and VLM so its doable but that Wimbleball race has something like 50 hills in the 56M bike route, so will need a bit more bike strength than the Swash.
    I'm sure you can work something out training wise. I only get the mornings to run and bike (unless I run commute), but can swim at lunch. But that amount of training sounds like it will cover VLM and Wimbleball.
  • Options
    End of my 2nd week (of 12) of training for the Blackpool marathon - two 50mile weeks (at least 15miles more than average for previous 50weeks!) and I will be passing the 200miles for the month (during tomorrow mornings 16miler) for the 1st time this year! Really enjoying having a bit of a variety, but have had a couple of "uncomfortable" runs this week as a result of Xmas "excesses"
  • Options

an interesting read; sad that we won't see him running around London next August

http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/2011/12/japan-in-wanjiru-in-conclusion.html

• Options
    RIP Sammy.
    Still brings a tear to my eye...........
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Will catch up with the Wanjiru story when I've got a few spare minutes.

Very pleased to report a good last run of the year for me. At the 58th time of asking, I have finally broken 17 mins for 5k with a 18 sec PB of 16:51 at the parkrun this morning (with a cheeky win as well) after a solid 70 mile week. All good for morale; and hopefully a nice place to commence the next year's running with a landmark marathon PB in March.

As for this year's stats. Haven't got a clue, but there's been a bit of everything in 2011.
  • Options
    That's a great pb Dan A. Sub 17 is my target but can't see me attempting this whilst following P&D until April. Won't get the last run of the year in until this evening after work; 6 mile recovery run. Tough one for tomorrow though with 17 inc 8@ MP....good luck to that after the carp I'll probably eat tonight.
  • Options
    Nice way to end your running year, Dan.

I don't add generally up my mileage, so no idea what my total is; should be over 2,000 even with the reduced miles for injury early in the year because I know I averaged about 60mpw building up for running home for christmas over about 20 weeks. Back to single-day road running for me in 2012. There's still a certain marathon-related target which has eluded me! Heading back to Brizzle now and hopefully my VLM champs entry form awaits.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

DanA - nice one, I remember when you used to post about not being able to run under 18min. Hopefully the new leg speed coupled to your endurance will at off at 26.2. Park run thing doesnt appeal to me as Saturdays I have time to run or bike long and there's no Park Runs near me anyway, but it looks like they have done you good.

90min turbo with middle 60min at 80% bagged, thats 2011 done for me. I had a solid VLM, some solid 1/2IMs and even donned a running number in all months except July and december although I only had one A running race, so thats a lot of numbers for me esp as I went from VLM 2009 to VLM 2010 without donning any running numbers.

• Options

Hi All

Not been on for a while completely lost my mojo but found my tight hamstring againimage Have been out 5 times in the last 6 days so hopefully I my enthusiasm is back.

A big well done to Joolska on your ultra what a fantastic achievement.

Well done DanA on your new 5k pb and win today.

Lots of good training going on for spring marathons, just hope I can get back into it.

Nice to see mmmm-marmite back on and running again. Are you doing a spring marathon?

7.5 miles easy done this morning followed by 400m swim.

Tomorrow taking part in a 5 mile race at Wirksworth.

• Options

DanA - brilliant way to round out 2011, very well run.

Some end of year stats.....
    Oct - 13 miles
    Nov - 100 miles
    Dec - 268 miles

So things heading in the right direction. It's a pleasure to be back out running again, but in truth I've found it tough to get within 2 weeks of my target marathon only to get injured for the second year in a row. Main target for 2012 is to get to the start line of a marathon fit and healthy.

Hope you all have a great New Years and that 2012 is a good one for us all. 

tigerrunner - how's it going mate. Good luck at Wirksworth tomorrow. I've got an entry for London, but I'm not going to make a decision until after Bath 1/2M.

• Options

marmite - I'm doing Bath Half as well. Did it this year for the first time. It's a good race. 268 miles for December is a good return after injury. Hope 2012 is a better year for you.

up the Rams!!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - Eastleigh is not far from you and probably a good bike ride there and back.

Dan - Awesome stuff indeed. Looks like you have some short speed.

Ran a controlled effort at Bushy Parkrun today. 18.33 was the time and happy enough for my first remotely hard effort for sometime. Cough has hung aroung and I have my Christmas weight on :¬)

Miles - I track mine around pace HR etc but given that seems the uncool approach in here these days

Dec - about 280
    Year - over 2800 (more than last year)

Done some cycling as well.

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Nice post christmas training everyone. Particular congrats to Dan on a great parkrun time. I've still never done one but it's one of my new year's resolutions.

The Pfitzinger schedule gave me my heaviest week's training ever, so I'm a bit weary and looking forward to kicking back quite a bit tonight...

Sun 25th - 10m (2 x 5m recovery runs)
    Mon 26th - 12m (including 10km at tempo pace in 34:35, i.e. 5:34/m)
    Tue 27th - 15m @ 6:47/m
    Wed 28th - 8.5m (2 recovery runs - 7m in morning and a gentle 1.5 in the eve)
    Thu 29th - 13.1 @ 7:29 before work (a bit tougher this one - perhaps hadn't eaten enough the night before)
    Fri 30th - 8m @ 7:12/m (including 12 x 100m strides)
    Sat 31st - 21m, including 3 progressive 10km sections @ 6:58/m, 6:27/m and 5:58/m.

Total of around 88 miles. Definitely scaling it back the next couple of weeks, though will be keeping it over 80. The progressive long run today was probably a bit silly as pre-Berlin I peaked at 75m and so doing this off the back of a much bigger week was quite tiring. I was encouraged by what some of you said about last Saturday's 18m (including 13.1 at marathon pace of 6:04/m, i.e. 79:30 for the half) and so wanted to push myself. 11 weeks to Rome. I had in mind going for maybe low 2:4X but now think I might try to push for 2:3X.

Can't do the annual stats as I only started running seriously and recording them in July. For what it's worth though, just shy of 1500 miles for July to December:

July: 266m (average 7:25/m)
    August: 311m (average 7:28/m)
    September: 195m (average 7:20) - including Berlin in 2:51:02.
    October: 189m (average 6:57) - including GSR in 57:51.
    November 199m (average 7:01)
    December 317 (average 7:04).

Not quite sure what 2012 will bring. Rome in mid-march but as I'll then be living in Rome until September, I'm not sure what other plans I have. I'll probably start to focus on half marathons as things are likely to be busier at work from then on and there are only so many hours in the day...

Happy new year everyone and thanks for all your advice over the last few months...

Lev
  • Options

Selbs hope your hammy is ok

Mr B - likewise with your niggle

Tiger - ditto

Lev_ had this discussion on the fred a year or so back. Some do, some don't. I tended to take Mondays off and when I didn't I tended to get injured! Over time I've realised that a bit of other body work would do no harm once or more times a week e.g. some upper body / core work / weights etc

Jools: good to hear re recovery. Great performance.

Piscator image see below!

Charlie W - very nice consecutives there

TR - greast training

Coro - nice to see you back

Marigold - I've already given away my London place image

FR good luck with recovery

MtR - sometimes life takes over and I like your balance!

Dan - great pb!

13.5 wild and hilly miles on my steed. 41m for the week. Would've been more but got called urgently to London midweek to be examined and cross-examined by three baristas (love it Jools!) at the Royal Courts of Justice. Sole Expert Witness present. Went well. Decision Tues morning on what will and won't be allowed to be reported on the huge trial that starts at the Old Bailey the same day: am also an expert witness in that criminal trial which is going to be big and dreadful news.

As for running, well they fiddled around in the joint and then decided the real damage was outside it and so pretty much left me alone. Still got a small bump on the femur and a small labrum tear. The hip feels much better already with cycling.

So running? With my bike coming up to London on Monday I will need some exercise for Saturdays/Sundays in Devon. A bit of off-road running can't do too much harm, now can it? image So watch this space. VLM 2013? image

• Options
    Quality run Dan, noticed the result when skimming through the parkrun winners earlier image
  • Options

2011 Stats:

Miles 1326 (950 of which were Jan-April, rest May/June)
    No running since July: benched with hip injury
    Cycling miles: 41m all this week image

Pb's: 5k; 10k; HM (1'20'08); Marathon (2'50'18)

• Options

HR: some good mileage, shame it came to a grinding halt. Really hope it all ends up ok eventually; you deserve it....

Just thought I'd pop in to say happy new year to the 'sub 3' ers and post a couple of end of year stats. Thanks to all those concerned for any help and encouragement you've given me this year; great place this where you just know everyone genuinely wants the next person to go out and do the best they can (and not be shit image ).

Big year for me with pb s at 5K, 10mi, HM and Marathon. Didn't quite make the 10K pb but I'll have that blighter next year.

262.3 miles for December brings up 3369.7 miles for the year (ave pace 7.18)....I'm happy with that.

Happy new year to all.............image

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    just popping in to say happy new year!

all the very best to everyone for next year

2275 (consistent) miles in 2011
  • Options
    Happy new year everyone, hope it goes well for everyone image
  • Options

2011:

Two races, two PBs (HM and M). The marathon time didn't click any particular milestones, but I did go sub-80 and sub 6:00 minute miling for the half.

I trained from January to April, and then from mid-August through to now. The inbetween period was more layabout, home life can be thanked for that. The year finished with 8M today, a similar run tomorrow will see me mid-50s for the week. If I can manage another marathon PB in April I'll be happy.

Nappy new year everyone, I'm off to bed. May your 2012 be better than your 2011.