Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dorney Dash

I may come along and watch, a chance to meet a few people is always nice. I am going to Bushy so I can make it on the way back.

Yeah, the daily fighting just to deliver the paper was tough
  • Options
    Jools - go for sub 33 and the £150!

NM2 - from memory you were once described as a 'daddy long legs' - what colour singlet?

I'm likely to be racing in Indian / Irish colours - white singlet, green shorts, orange shoes, assuming that meets CRAB's approval in his role as forum fashion police. Tergart of 32:45 - 32:55, but seeing that Pug has returned, I'll go for the men's £150 sub 30 prize if Jools agrees to the above challenge.

I know that Geewok has previously mentioned running, but I guess that's unlikely unless he's planning to swim alongside in the boating lake.

Am I the only one who hasn't received a number then? :-(
  • Options
    But Dull weight nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

Gobi Are you suggesting that my weight is unimportant?

TR[/b} Agree with you 16% is a lot of fat to carry for an endurance althlete. Starting to realise now how good my 3.01.54 was at Cardiff aged 48 with a fat score of 21%.

Compared to you mob I am severely handicapped with my weight, age and legendary short 28.5 inch legs. Not much I can do about 2 of the three variables, but at least the 5% drop in body fat over two and a bit years is something to celebrate.

• Options
    PS - I'm number 639 on the entry list. I had a similar number for the MKHM last year - kept me entertained mid race whilst trying to work out whether I had it the right way around.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Do they have a Beaver Pack (younger than cubs and scouts) in Bushey ? Another one of my favourite gags.
    I think they have one in Itchen (Southampton) !

Blimey Dull - 3h 01m at 20%.

• Options
    Sorry but I don't do running in the summer, no dorney dash for me this time :-(

I ran in our club 5m handicap on Thursday last week and still managed 30:27, despite only doing 12 mile weeks (yes that's right 12 miles over 2 sessions!) for the last month. That would still have given me a sub-38 10k. Anyway its all irrelevant now.

Question - is it advisable to buy track spikes in a half size bigger than trainers? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

[as i can't run i'm buying kit at the moment - Garmin last week, spikes this week!]

• Options
    TR - Is that like a fanny pack?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    JEJ,

If I run sub-33 then I've been hiding my talents under a bushel for the last 6 years. I'll also die at about, ooh, 2K. I'm prepared to hang on in there for 2K, but not 8K.

"kept me entertained mid race whilst trying to work out whether I had it the right way around." My, we runners do get up to some crazy japes...

TR: I despair, I really do.
  • Options
    Geewok - depends on the brand. I see Start Fitness still have their £15 Venti's (good for SC, ok for distance), but the selection of sizes has been depleted.

Jools, good - that means the pressure's off for my sub 30 attempt.

Can you think of anything more interesting to look at in Milton Keynes? HMs (and longer races) should be scenic, else they're sooo Dull. The first half of the Vegas HM (up the strip, at night) was ok, but for the second half I might have well been back in Milton Keynes looking at my (upside down?) race number.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    my track spikes are the same size as my trainers

Dull, What I am saying is that sometimes the strength of extra weight is actually a bonus. But that could be what I tell myself as a fat badger !!!!

TR, I don't get it.
  • Options
    JEJ - annoyingly good memory. Yep that's me.... not quite Padams tall but getting there (6ft 3), yellow Waverley Harriers vest, grey shorts....
  • Options
    Afraid I am gate crashing with training related question (but for info, with 2 kids under 2 ½ years my washing machine is in a constant state of stress – so the discussion could prove useful):

Having done 11X 18+ milers this year up-to and including FLM07 and kept regular 12 milers since – will the distance stamina still be there? i.e. could I realistically race a respectable (but not optimal) marathon in September by fitting in up-to 5 or more 18+ milers in August – off 7-8 weeks training?

DanA – new to thread, but V impressed.
  • Options
    coldfeet

I would say yes.

I have run 3.06,3.06 and 3.05,3,17 both with 5 week gaps between.
    The first 3.06 was 12 months after I started competitive running, and the 3.17 18 months after.

Of course the weather can always screw you up, but I'm sure you already knew that.

• Options
    An overdue well done to Dan A - well spoken indeed (both before and after the race)

RB - well done on the PB HM 1:18 is easily gonnae be yours on the right day so that'll be another PB to look forward to.

TR - think I saw you post a 65min 10mile training run recently - bodes very well for a good HM.
  • Options
    DN – Cheers, annoyingly found out that even if I go sub-3 (big if) at Amsterdam in October it will be to late to enter GFA for FLM08 – so looking for an earlier marathon.
  • Options
    CRAB - re the underwater mp3 player:
    I was quite tempted until I saw the price! $200!!!

Although I suppose if you work it out price per length it'd be ok - especially if you train in the kiddies pool.

On the subject of DS trainers which seemed to be getting a mention earlier on - they're the only shoes to have in my opinion - as long as you're under 75kilos apparently (so ASICS reckon anyway) - Oh, and they have to be red ones af course.

Coldfeet: Last year I went for GFA at Wolverhampton - was on target until I picked up an injury at 20miles - so depending on which faction you support on this forum, you might like to extraploate and say I could have got the time there.

Went to Normandy a month later after 2 weeks enforced rest in between and clocked a 2:59 on the last GFA qualifying weekend for FLM07.

The bad news is that Normandy is down to a half this year (must have been talikng to the cardiff organisers!), the good news is that Wolves is still on (1st w/e in Septe,ber.) Normandy was definitely quicker than Wolves, but I think there are worse places for trying to get GFA.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    I've got a pair of red ones.. (DS trainers that is, not a washer dryer). only run them couple of times in the mind you, like my 2120s just a bit too much...

so 10.5 miles tonight at 7:40 pace...
  • Options
    Well, this speed thing is taking longer than I thought to get into my legs...

11.50 miles
    1:16:51 (6:40/mile)

Mizuno Wave Creation 8's (59.7 miles)
    Mile 1 = 7:01 @ 142bpm
    Mile 2 = 6:34 @ 155bpm
    Mile 3 = 7:00 @ 140bpm
    Mile 4 = 6:45 @ 156bpm
    Mile 5 = 6:23 @ 165bpm
    Mile 6 = 6:17 @ 174bpm
    Mile 7 = 6:26 @ 172bpm
    Mile 8 = 6:38 @ 168bpm
    Mile 9 = 6:58 @ 167bpm
    Mile 10 = 6:58 @ 168bpm
    Mile 11 = 6:30 @ 167bpm
    Mile 11.5 = 2:46 @ 165bpm

Oh well... that's 42 mile in 3 days... not in Dans league, what a wuss I am lol

Weird though as just after Edinburgh I banged out a 7 miler, with the middle three miles in 6:10 average @ 172bpm... which to me says I've lost shit loads of speed and fitness... it's got 12 days to get back in my leg or I'm choppin' me plonker off to lose 10lbs ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    coldfeet - I think Jersey is still inside the window. 7th of October... I'm not sure what the course is like. The organisers say it's flat with a gentle hill over 2 miles after you've done a few miles (still awaiting the profile to be published) and you come back down the same amount but over miles 18-22.

The girl who won the women's race last year though said the hill basically went from mile 4 to 13...... I'm in regardless.....

Looks like we've got a good turnout for Dorney - in no particular order - myself, JEJ, Nick Morgan 2, Jools B and MattTheRat. Any more for any more?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Splendid, a proper reception committee for me as I roll over the finish line, 5th out of 5 sub-3 thread finishers ;-)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Data Alert

Remember Bramley - 20 x 7min miles at HR 158.

Did a comfortable 12 tonight in 83 min (av 6m 55 per). Slightly slower 2nd half - cos it was into a stiff old wind. There's a right old gale brewing now !

Got some data. The Hr monitor kept losing sync again - but I coul get it back by holding my wrist up by the chest strap. I mad sure that I took a few readings each mile and so HR was between 145 and 151. Mostly it was 149, it rose a bit if I let the pace creep up. It felt really easy and I could have gone lots further too. Bad news was my knee ached a lot in the last few miles - maybe to due leaning into the wind. But this time last week I could barely walk on it !

Now I'm no expert but that's got to be good news, hasn't it ?

So, over to the Prof's. What does it mean to me ?

Jools
    Don't worry they all beat me too !
  • Options
    TR Depends what your max is and whether you could maintain that HR for ~3hours. If you're an aerobic monster (and you're not BTW) then the Holy Grail is 88% of max. That's supposed to be just about optimum mara performance.

I've got some Red DS Trainers and they're the bllx - unfortunately they've done a few thousand miles and the replacements are only available in lime green!! FFS if it aint broke don't bastid fix it. Think they're a bit lighter too. Scoured t'internet in vain for another pair of red 'uns in size 9 - rarer than a Dull sub3 ;o)

As you were.
  • Options
    TR - whats that for you, about 80 - 82% mhr? - I don't recall what you mhr measured at.

If so, still plenty of room for upping the pace at race time, but deffo a good work out and good news that it was so much lower than Bramley.

One word of caution though - what was weather (temp in particular) at Bramley compared to tonight? - Warmer daay will tend to result in higher hr for same results.

Warning - your HR can go upm as well as down, and your Sub 3 may be reposessed if you don't last the distance.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the messages of support. Feet now up with cold beer close at hand. By popular demand, a race report. Enjoy...

Part 1
    Well, I don’t mind admitting it, but I’m a bit flaky when it comes to finishing races. Normally I don’t fret over DNF’ing if it’s going badly, but this is one I was determined to finish. I consider myself primarily an ultra runner, rather than a marathoner (although have done more of the latter), and have done about a dozen ultras. But never a single dayer over 55 miles. Started the P100 last year, the week after Edinborough, and was ill-prepared and perhaps a bit half-hearted – therefore dropping out after 26 miles at the first sign of a niggle was no surprise.

This year I was determined to finish, so made sure I told quite a few people about it as an added incentive (including all of you). Also got my brand – that’s Relentless energy drink, in case you missed it! – to sponsor the event, so I had a good reason to complete. 37 starters out of 50 who had paid up, and 12 duathletes (there’s a 26 mile run – two laps of 48 miles on the bike – 26 mile run). We did one of the 48 mile laps.

All was cross country, carrying a pack of kit/food/liquid/essentials, and navigable by ordance survey maps. I got into a small group at the front, but made a small map error which cost about 5 mins quite early. Pushed on for a reasonable lead towards first checkpoint (CP1) at 14 miles, but another map error meant I was joined by first duathlete (Andy B). We ran together through to CP2 at 26 miles in about 5h 40 mins. Might sound slow for a marathon distance, but was rather hilly and on rough terrain. Andy said he wasn’t a runner, but only a cyclist. However, in his only recent marathon which he did on 2 weeks (!!) training, he ran 2.54.

Andy disappeared off on his bike, and I was on my own again. After about 30 miles I was caught by Colm (who has a 1.14 half and 2.47 marathon to his name). We ended up running together for the next 50 miles. Some of the hills were absolutely brutal – if you’ve ever ridden the Mary Townley loop you’ll know what I mean. How those guys got their bikes round I’ll never know. We had to power walk the ups, and try and run on the downs and flats. By CP4 after 52 miles and 11 hours we were both knackered. The second group of duathletes had caught us up by this point, and we had been overtaken by Richard T.

Bizarrely just after leaving CP4 (having forced down a few mouthfuls of choccy and a bit of the sponsor’s own product), we both got our second wind and managed to put in 3 solid hours of running feeling fresh as a daisy. But by the time it got dark after 15 hours @ 11pm, we were up on high ground, it was freezing cold and it had started to pi$$ down with rain. CP5 came and went, and we were out in the hills again to CP6 at the end of the loop with only the return marathon to go.

It was only 8 miles from CP5 to CP6, but it took us 3.5 hours. Conditions were appalling. Visibility was almost zero. The paths were indistinguishable from the surrounding ground, and it was sooooo cold. In fact it was pretty dangerous; I don’t think I was too far from hypothermia setting in. We got lost several times and ended up adding a few bonus miles. All the fun of the fair, I suppose.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Part 2

By the time we left CP6, it was about 2.30am. I didn’t at any time feel tired from lack of sleep, just fatigue from tired legs and shoulders. On the return leg now, and about two hours until first light, but it was not so easy retracing our steps from the previous afternoon. I was still keen to run all the flat bits and downhills, but Colm was beginning to really struggle. By about halfway to the last CP, I had to leave him behind and press on alone. I was coping quite well with the ups (must have the legs for it). But the downs were agony. My thighs were seizing up and I had blisters now on the balls of my feet and both little toes. But since each step was an explosion of pain, I figured I might as well jog as much as possible, since it hurt whether I was running or walking. Got to CP7 after 24 hours, took a five minute breather, and pushed on.

Just a case of one foot in front of the other now. Managed to get some running (ie, shuffling) going when I could. About 8 miles left and I passed a guy walking his dog. He asked me if this was the return leg of the same race he’d seen go past yesterday morning. When I told him it was the same race as yesterday morning, his face was priceless. Last couple of hours seemed to go on forever, and the pain was remarkable. But finally got up the last hill and adrenalin rush let me run in the last k. The finish line of an ultra is a pretty special sight, as I’m sure Gobi can vouch for. Finish time was 28h 40m. Richard T had won in 29.08. Awesome stuff. He won fair and square.

Colm, who I’d last seen at about 80 miles finished 4 hours after me. He must have had a horrific time of it, but credit to him for finishing. There were only 12 finishers (Andy being the only duathlete – only finisher in two years!!). Last six runners came in together after 39 hours.

Feet pretty mashed, but seen much worse. They, and my legs will recover soon; probably get out for a few miles next weekend. Got a couple of lagers on the go as I write this and feeling pretty pleased with myself. Mont Blanc paperwork arrived today so will go into it with lots of confidence come August.

When I finished, a journalist asked what my motivation was for completing it. Simple answer; because it was difficult. If it wasn’t, every fecker would be doing it. Guess that’s why we all do what we do. Did I enjoy it? Not really sure. At the time, it hurt of course, but definitely glad I did it now it’s over. Will I do it again? Ask me later.

At no point did I ever doubt that I would finish. As CRAB says, you can always put one foot in front of the other. It’s the mind that tells you to give up. Very true. I know I’ll never run a 5k like JeJ, a marathon like Padams, or be able to beat Gobi over a fast road ultra, but I feel pretty confident I could give most people a run for their money in that sort of race. Anyway, whatever it’s merits, I now have a shiny new PB for 100 miles. If you ever fancy it, I can thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options
    CRAB - I bought up the last red DS trainer 9 1/2s in the country earlier this year I reckon - 3 pairs in one go to see me through the year! Still have one pair unused which I could sell you for a suitably inflated price if you like!!! - Just pad the toes out with a little tissue paper to make up the 1/2 size difference!!!
  • Options
    Dan - Epic!

If you ever fancy it, I can thoroughly recommend it....

Thought about it - No, but thanks for asking :-)
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Winners time was 27.08. Apologies.
  • Options
    No HR data or mile spilts. Call that a fckn race report!

Great effort mate. Like I said put my little pedal in the showers somewhat into perspective for me on Sunday afternoon.

As you were.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Nice one Dana..nevermind the hr days, your kit must have been a right old mess though, what cycle did you use to clean it ?

Have thought about doing the du myself, it sounds horrendous. Still got unfinished business with (the easier) IM though..