Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    If you ever fancy it, I can thoroughly recommend it.

If I'm ever tempted, please feel free to shoot a pellet in my calf.

Great report Dan. Relentless indeed.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Danyou are one mad Brother Pucker. Hope the feet heal soon. Now there must be a harder race than that as that is childs play surely. How about the deca-ironman. Eric Seedhouse rings a bell.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    DanA - words fail me, a great race report + total admiration. How much more difficult was it because of the conditions this year?

JEJ - thanks for the offer to train at Mile End stadium. I'm really looking for some lunchtime sessions so I don't impact my family time too much. There is a group of fast guys who run along the canal from the Islington area to Vic Park most lunchtimes (I've been told a couple of them finish top 5 in the met league so they don't hang about!) – I just need to catch up with them to find out where they meet-up. Also I think you are probably a tad too quick for me (at the moment :-)). Thanks away.

Rare day off planned tomorrow; I have a tough day at work + I have the final scoring mid-week race this Thursday at Padams's home club. Padams - are you still not planning to run it (I will gain a place in the overall standing)?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice run and nice report DanA. Without a doubt you are a tough lad.

Well done and maximum respect.

As for me, if I ever do a 100 mile road race then you never know. BUT and it is a big BUT, I will only step up to a new distance if I can run 8 min miles the whole way so for now even a fast road race is way out of my league.

Oh welcome CF btw
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great report, Dan. Not sure it's really my cup of tea, but never say never. I guess that 6 years ago I'd have scoffed at the suggestion of running marathons because they were fun (actually, make that exercising because it was fun).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Right first things first.

DanA – awesome stuff – real inspirational stuff. It will be an honour to meet you at NF1/2.
    You may take your place up on the “Wall of Stars”.

CRAB/DoT – Bramley was a cold day. I don’t know my max HR. But similar pace (or slightly quicker even) at 10 bpm less sounds good to me. I take that as I’m getting fitter.

Thought last night that I could use “tit tape” on my HRM strap. Fillies use it to tape their clothes to their body if they are wearing what I would refer to as a “BINGO” top or dress (eyes down for a full house!) and so prevent showing off too much cleavage.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    ps. I must have just missed you at Bramley TR

I paced a mate and we ran 2.27
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    JEJ
    There was a piece about Bleachy Boy running barefoot in the local paper last night. He said he has been running track races barefoot for 10 years now, and has even done cross country like it too. Not sure if he does steeplechase barefoot though.
    He’s a Vet now too, but he’s still a half decent runner..

Gobi
    If I go back there next year then I'll do 2h 27m with you.
    I met GR there, he waited for me at the finish - nice gesture.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Nice report Dan A, no way I could have completed that. Would definitely like to try an ultra one day but I think I would start with something a bit easier!

Coronium - no, definitely not running. I'll be in Spain enjoying some sunshine (hopefully). So you can take my place on the podium! Will probably be at the mob match, so might see you there.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    TR - I don't know what you are playing at with your HRM strap. I just put it above the pecks and not under (you could quite fairly ask how a skinny whippet type at 10st and 6ft can have any pecks). So long as the strap is fairly tight it shouldn’t come down - I occasionally have to adjust it during a race when I'm running ‘hard’. If you keep losing signal then it maybe time for a new battery for the strap?

JoolsB - I've got those same youthful genes, I'm an M35 but most people don't believe me! Good luck for the 10k this weekend.
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Dan-Great report.......enjoy the beers.

T.R- It was good to meet you at Bramley but could you please confirm whether that nice gesture of mine actually got me a place on the famous "wall of stars"

The new Hotpoint is sooo much quieter than my old Zanussi

Still doing a bit
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams

Boddington 50km July 21st ???

TR, by next year a 2.27 will be like Jogging for you.
  • Options
    Coronium,
    Not sure whether I'd know the people you refer to, and given the placings, I doubt they're VPH (although it may be a different story next season). The only other person I can think of is Sam Farah, who lives just off that stretch of the canal and would normally be about at lunchtimes, but his 'workouts' tend to be on Tues & Thurs (evenings) and Saturday mornings.

TR,
    Barefoot runners make me nervous when I'm wearing iccle 4mm track spikes - let alone 12mm XC ones. Perhaps you should mention that if he paints them red he'll go faster.
  • Options
    Awesome effort Dan A - off the scale fella. Makes me feel like what I'm doing is just child's play...

Tough (in an NM2 sense, rather than Dan A sense) session for me yesterday. Did 4m warm-up then two sets of six 400s on an undulating rd circuit with 75 sec jog recov and 800m jog between sets.

Averaged 78.5 sec for the 400s.

Not really sure if that's good, bad or ugly but I do know that it's been ages since I did any 400s and I'd forgotten how much they HURT....
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    DANA- Ditto the comments of the others. Awesome performance. Would love to do something like that one day to feed the OCD but other unfinished business takes priority at the mo, TR- That isn't taking the top off my k-nob either.

Well done. Work colleague doing Mont Blanc as well. Sounds fun;) Is Randy Gaylord running this year?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Coronium
    It says that my strap (Polar one) should sit below the pecs (its even shaped to sit like that). So it is only sitting on ribs, adove my abs. The movement of running seems to break its contact with the body.

GR
    Massive gesture indeed, and it will be ace to see you again, but you’re more of pending “position”. I don’t know why but your exploits don’t inspire me in the same way that other folks’ do. Probably cos you simply post that you’re “doing a bit” – I already do that. Where as Padams said he took it easy with a sea swim and a 16 mile run, or CRAB tells me that he’s done a pedal and a swim and will try and bag a 20 miler in his tea-break ! It sets a standard – that I have to at least move towards.

Did you run past the Military stadium wearing a running jacket (red ?) and shorts (not sure of colour), on the opposite side of the road towards Farnborough ?

Gobi
    I really enjoyed Bramley it was a massive pacing/learning experience, and I will probably go back – just to have some company on an LSR. And meet some of my heroes again.

JEJ
    I know what you mean - I saw a few kids get trampled at the start of cross country races when I was young.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you, Ode – doing a bit ?
  • Options
    DANA Can I just say, and I mean this,

1). That's the best race report I've read, really really good, you've got the mood in that, even my mate at work has read that in astonishment sitting next to me

2). Can I just say, that's the first time I've been amazed by a performance mate from a non elite runner, really is and can I congratulate you. Words are actually not enough with that, to run for 28 hours, in them conditions etc, is... well phenominal and words just aren't enough.

I'm sure everyones feels that on this thread.... INCREDIBLE

I was contemplating doing the Hymalayan 100 miler next year actually... it's worth thinking about (and yeah, I am serious lol)

Pug
  • Options
    DanA Magic report.

From your desciption, I really could picture the horror of the final run in. I sincerely hope that your feet will have recovered for your August outing in the Alps. They sound as if they are well and truly shot at.

Enjoy the beer, you deserve it.

Still mulling over doing an ultra myself, but wouldn't touch anything over 50 miles.
  • Options
    Yeah, but there is a magical thing about 100 miles... to say you've done it and in a awesoem time like Dan, would be something to tell the grandkids... while they're plaing their Playstation VII eating pizza just knodding as your'e telling them every twist and turn ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR

in that case consider me your official pacer, I hope you have ear plugs :¬)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    You’re all nuts. I’ll be happy to get the marathon bagged.

Go for it Pug, No giving up if your 20 seconds behind schedule after 2 miles though.

Gobi
    I'll defo run with you - if you are running slow enough for me. Will be nice to have some company.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    One day I would like to try to do 100M in 24 hours. I doubt that would be in the Pennines though!

Gobi - already considered Boodington but decided not to do any ultras until after Berlin. I am actually doing the Fairlands Valley Challenge (off-road marathon) as a long training run on that day now. Requires following directions, so definitely won't be done at a fast pace - winning time is generally around 3:30.
  • Options
    How long you over in Berlin for Paul? Think I'm over the from the Friday onwards until mid week after the Marathon...

You going for 2:30 then?

Pug
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    thats a pity Padams I was hoping to hide behind you for 20 or so miles being 5ft 9 you would never have known I was there :¬)

TR, I am the Zen Master of running slow
  • Options
    Dan A- Excellent report; I was feeling more exhausted with each paragraph. I can't decide if you are mad,bad or brave. Anyway, can I assume that you are interested in making up the 3rd place in a team of 3 for the Mablethorpe marathon - it's only 26.2 miles and it's all flat/. RBis the other interested party so we must be in with a shout.

Do7 - Just about to do some speedwork on a 600 metre track in Victoria Park HK - 32 Degrees and 76% humidity - I think you might be right about the sweaty B*llocks bit but CRAB failed to inspire me with his methodology for treadmill running for 90 minutes!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Excellent report DanA. Congrats again!
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Pug - I am only there from the Saturday to Tuesday, and actually may have to come back on the Sunday afternoon now! Haven't set a tergat yet (haven't been doing as many miles as I intended recently), but 2:30 would be the obvious one. Will need some heavy training in July and August though.

Sorry for not giving you a tow at Boddington Gobi. Someone actually did that to me in the last 5 or so miles of FLM. He overtook me in the last mile, and I didn't realise until I looked at the photos that he had been sat behind me for about half an hour. And then he had the nerve to beat me...
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams, thats harsh I would never have done that. I chat too much for someone not to know I am there :¬)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams, thats harsh I would never have done that. I chat too much for someone not to know I am there :¬)