Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    TT - Asics DS Racers, a great racing shoe + quite narrow.

I'm almost a total Asics convert as I also own a pair of DS Trainers (great for faster training runs, like to one you did today), 2120 (recently got a pair to replace my Brooks Radius and I really like them so far) and the Trabuco as my trail shoe.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for you Geewok, I feel for you being on the bench - just as I’m climbing off it again. My knee is still sore – but it’ll take some running now. So as long as I’m careful I hope to be ok.

Keep the faith – and as active as cross training allows.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    RB

Nice PB - well done Sir.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    RB - well done + 3.5mins off your PB is great going. I'm sure there must be more to come - my HM/M PBs are 1:16/2:47 (= 2*HM + 15min) compared to your 1:19/2:44 (= 2*HM + 6min). Perhaps I'm just sh*t at marathons.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TT, narrow enough for skinny feet like mine :¬)

No commision I just like the brand

Rach wears the DS racer which also seems to be a good shoes as Coro says

Well run RB, look at it this way, you know where it went wrong and how to fix it and go faster :¬)
  • Options
    Nice running RB, and of course DanA who I neglected to congratulate yesterday.

TipTop - I'd give the Streak a try. If you want to stick with Adidas, try the Supernova Competition, but it's not much lighter than a normal trainer. I've never tried Asics, but they cost twice as much as the Nikes and I'd wager they don't make you run twice as fast.

TR - I actually thought the race was in Hastings rather than Portsmouth. I only knew for sure once I was allocated the role of navigator in the funbus.

Geewok - yes, hence my decision not to try 'racing' on Saturday. July will be more sedate, with just a tergat 3000m plus a couple of 1500's. I figure that low 16's is more tempo than race pace and certainly doesn't leave me tired. We have another useful new signing too - sub 16:40 after next to no running in the last decade - but prior to that 13:47. Should be interesting if he and Juerg get in some consistant training - guess I'll have to work on my 1500 / SC if I want to get in the track team!
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    JEJ - I know what you mean regarding Asics pricing, but finding a shoe(s) that provides the support/comfort you need and prevents picking up injuries is almost priceless. PS - good running at the weekend. PPS - do you run for VPH? I spend a lot of my lunchtimes running from Moorgate area out and around Vic Park, does your club run any lunchtime speed sessions in the area?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    JEJ

you are truely blessed with a group of fast people to train with. In my club over distance "I AM THE FAST PEOPLE"
  • Options
    TR cheers, i'm just focussed on getting better now, no matter how much time it takes, I'm sure my fitness will recover pretty quickly.

JEJ looks like I'll have some competition for the track season next year then! ;-)

CM you're just around the corner from me, i'm off Findsbury Sq. Unfortunately VPH don't do lunchtime sessions any day of the week.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I was looking at Nike Marathoners at the weekend, but didn't try them on as I'd never pegged Nike as being a narrow fit.

I'll pop back at the end of the month (got a 10% discount for last week of sales) and try on all the Nikes and the Asics. Cheers for the tips guys.

RB - well done. It may not be quite what you were looking for, but it's still under the 1:20, so going in the right direction ;-)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    no worries TT

geewok

what sort of times are you running on the track ?
  • Options
    Coronium - Yes to VPH. I don't think there are any formal club sessions at lunchtime, but other members who work locally may have arranged something together.

You'd be welcome to join me for track sessions in Mile End (a mile down the canal from Viccy Park) - we go straight from work and usually start at 5:45.

Clubs, including VPH, tend to meet later in the evening for sessions which I find interfers with meal times and subsequently recovery. It's also handy to get the session done before the kids arrive en mass.
  • Options
    Gobi - my comments was a little misleading, I ain't been on a track in a few years. I'll let you know when I do though!
  • Options
    Well done to RB and especially to DanA cannot wait to read his blow by blow account, especially with the weather being so bad.

104 miles for me last week, and kicked of this week with 23 miles in just over 3 hours. Magic in the Wiltshire countryside.

Good news? Possibly not, my as weight has gone up, however body fat holding steady at 17% down from 19% two weeks ago.

Starting to sharpen now as the marathon nears, so this week will probably only do only around 80 miles, with a 10k race thrown in.

Regards to all.

Dull
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    DN how are you measuring your % body fat ? Seems quite high for somebody who does so many miles !
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Geekwok

bugger, I was hoping for some track Tergats to chase

DN, where are you in Wilshire ?
  • Options
    Geek wok? Are you taking the pish? Why I oughta....!
  • Options
    I stand on a set of scales, that gives my weight, and then gives me my body fat. firses some sort of crrent into my body to measure.

Seems to be fairly reliable as prior to FLM07 on the scales, I scored 16%, and at my BUPA medical with all the electrodes, I was also 16%. At 16% I was around 9st 10lb. At 17% this morning I was 10st 3lb.

No excuse I know, but was you get older you are allowed to have more fat on your body 20% is considered OK at my age, 19% in your forties.

My theory is that running only really burns off fat from your legs, you need to need to work weights to have any effect on the fat on your upper body. Then again what do I know.

Gobi This is where I was staying

http://www.lucknampark.co.uk/

Difficult not to pig out when all the food and drink is paid for by someone else! The countryside was fantastic. Running up the mile long hotel driveway with the noise of the rain belting down on the canopy of beech trees above your head was magical.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I agree that 16 % is high for an endurance athlete.

As a male, your body will store fat around your waist and internal organs, before creating man-boobs and wobbly arms and legs with any further excess fat (where as some fillies store fat around their middles too, and others it’s all hips and thighs).

You cannot spot reduce fat. As you get leaner and reduce your fat you will see the fat disappear from your stomach last.
    You can build a bit of lean muscle - in all areas. This will help keep you lean and help you lose fat – as you will use more calories simply to stay alive, brush your teeth and go about your everyday life.

You don’t have to go mad and end up looking like me though !!
    I havn’t the faintest idea what my BF% is though.

The scales pass an electric current through your body and measure the resultant reading. I think a more thorough BF test can be done using a water tank. But if you always use the same scales – then you can measure any change at home.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Basically you're better off having some chest (pecs) than some man-boobs !!

But you'd be even better off still, just being a skinny whippet - if you want be a runner.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    But Dull weight nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice place there Dull very nice

Just in from my WET lunchtime run which included 2 x 1 kms done at race pace for Friday. Second km was a 3.17 and I was moving very well so as long as I warm up properly......
  • Options
    whats this race Gobi?

Pug
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Pug

I running LFOTM in Hyde park and hoping to finally post a decent ish 5km time. ie. Sub 17 mins

good to see you back mate

Gobi
  • Options
    Sub 17 hey... I'm doing the Sale Sizzler 5k on Thursday in Manchester... hate them races and they're on rubbish courses, but hoping to post something decent, at least showing some sort of form return...

I reckon you're deffo sub 17 shape going off that 10k of yours depending on the weather and course, they fast that race is it? I'm redicting, if all goes well... 16:49 ;-) trust Puglet ;-)

Did a quick 10k Friday, just under 15 on Saturday in 1:42 I think it was... which gave me a decent comeback week of 55... then yesterday did a hilly 14... was tough but for ther first time, the legs felt strong... not fast but strong as an oxe, so I think within the next 7-10 days I'll be flying again ready for The Penny Lane 10k on the 8th July... Puglets come back race...

Pug
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one Pug, just dont over cook it with too much too soon.

Right now I would take 16.59. :¬)
  • Options
    Managed to get my 10 miler in yesterday. But my body was a bit confused running at what it thought was 11pm (6pm local time in Cincinnati). It was an out and back route along a disused railway line following a river. Thankfully it was shaded most of the way as the temperature was touching the 90's.

This was my longest run since getting injured in January. Felt really nice to get that tired leg feeling again. Was strong all the way and was able to do the return leg faster. Avg pace was 8:30 with 78% HR max. So a long way to go to get pace at that HR to a decent level. HR drift was horrendous too so lots to work on !!

Well done Dan A Awesome effort. Looking forwards to reading hte full report.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Right, I've tried to read back over the posts since I decided the washing up couldn't be ignored, and i'm sure I've missed loads. The key highlight seemed to be RB running a PB - congrats.

JEJ - yes, 10K is at Dorney. Race number is 4xx (think maybe 44x, but will check). I'll be the short girl finishing in about 40 minutes. You will assume I'm a girl because I look about 16. I am assured I will be glad of these genes when I am 40. I know Matt is running as well and ... aiee, someone else from the fred but memory fails me and I need to stop frigging around on t'internet.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    lucky you Jools

I've looked 30+ since I was 20
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO7
    Well played – good effort.
    Seeing as it helped me to post here – I feel obliged to train after reading the exploits of others, and you said that you’ve a lack of will-power, I will be taking a special interest in making sure that you are “doing a bit” in a GR style (including pedalling and PJ’s).

Nice to see Pug too – my next race is on the 8th July too. CRAB has some minor event on that weekend too !

Nice to see Jools is still here too – hello young lady.

Tough paper-round, Gobi ?
  • Options
    I'm in for Dorney too. Not sure what race number yet but will post it when I get round to digging it out.

Have decided the tergat for this one is sub-36 which is possibly a tad optimistic but what the hell, pug's back so I feel like stretching it a bit ;0)

TippTopp is doing it too so should be a good fred turnout...