Sub 3

Comments

• That's nice LS21.

Progress Joolska.

I'm guessing that neither your wife nor dog are large animals Padams..........LOL. Sorry, trying to stay up beat whilst not being able to run. Must be something more serious than what I've experienced with my hounds.

I think your medal sale may have made the itv news website OuchOuch.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LS21 - thanks for that.  I'm slightly surprised the medics let him carry on but fair play to the two who helped him.

Yes, they showed a shot of the gorilla guy crawling along with spiderman on BBC1 this morning.  I wondered if it was marders - how could I have thought it might be anyone else!

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    CD - they were going past his house I think! (marders lives on the course, at about the 16.5 mile mark).

Just had Jonathan Edwards pop into the shop. A really lovely fella. He's been in a few times now - bought a house near Loweswater which he's having renovated. He didn't buy anything - popped in purely to ask how I'd got on and to have a chat, which was really nice of him as I'm sure he's pretty busy. He's off to the Giro for a month now, working for Eurosport. Nice!

Glad joolska is running pain-free. Healing vibes to LMH too.

Still no running for me, but I did an hour on the eliptical/cross-trainer thing this morn which seems to be ok leg-wise, so I'll stick with that for now.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Tried running a mere 2.7M to work this morning -- my calves felt fine beforehand, but were not at all happy once 'running'. I may have to walk home or get the bus as they feel properly DOMSd now.

Padams -- sorry yes, I meant Spiderman. I take it you're just pacing someone then -- hope that goes well. Your training has looked very handy recently BTW.

What's happening with the casualties who go all wobbly-legged then; are they bonking badly, or is it something other than blood sugar? I was staggering about a bit after a race once where I probably had a bit of heatstroke/heat exhaustion, but it was a terribly hot day.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    There was an item on the BBC London Evening news last night, about people selling their marathon medals - they couldn't understand why anyone would do it.  Made me laugh anyway.

They interviewed a runner called Josh Hand, who had done it.  When they put up his photo of him during the race, there was a familiar face alongside!!

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Fame at last Jools!

I meant to say I noticed when peering at my splits that my VLM position improved by 1 place overall, and it was because 1 of the 2 women previously listed as beating me in the mass race has disappeared. Maybe a man illicitly running with her number was DQd or something?
  • CW - the runner previously listed as 2nd woman in the main field is now listed as finishing in 3:19.  I wonder if someone had one of her chips (she started from the champs start)?

It does mean that MsPP now finished second in the main field, which is pretty good.

• Dehydration, low blood sugar, exhaustion - could be any number of things Charlie.

It's good to hear that someone is as pleasant in real life as I've decided they are based on tv/interviews etc. I guess it's a tough job but.......... I am jealous of your elliptical session, I currently can't run, ride, swim.........poor me eh? :-)

Maybe I'll leave it a couple of days, look at my result again and feel better!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    10 minutes on the foam roller seems to have done the trick.....3 v.easy miles with the pooch this morning (happy days are here again).
    Cracking photo Jools - stalking and ready to pounce.
    Tee-shirt and Medals on the way to happy new owner - with complimentary timing tag, foil blanket, carrier bag - somehow want to keep the running number.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to but in here. Josh is Sorequads who posts on the P&D thread. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hey up sportsfans !

What a great browse it was Sunday evening, so pleasing to see such strong runs from so many stalwarts, really nice to see folks that have been here a long time still putting out great performances.
    Marathons are tricky to nail and with the unknown quantities that campaigns can throw up due to stress, health, work, family, before you even factor in the running its hard to make the start line and finish line at times. It was refreshing to read that so many folks did their best on the day and were happy with that. It annoys me no end that marathon campaigns are judged by race times rather than perfomances at times. A better performance can result in a slower time sometimes, for example LMH.

ES - your legs took a beating there, dont rush into a vanity marathon or you may be needing another one. Be proud in your Boston performance and get then focus on the Autmn. Some races arnt PB material.

CW - you could include some long MP blocks or BAC type stuff instead of your midweek resp, but for me your legs would have been less troublesome on the day if you had run sensible distance long runs 3 and 4 weeks out. You ran too many miles/week to be having leg issues from earlyish on. You'd have PB'd with those two runs being more normal.

Selbs, OO, Al, Ryan, LMH, Ls21, CW, CD (x2),Ode, Dan - all take a bow, I enjoyed my Sunday Browse.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    No running Tomorrow or Sunday as we have County away games, but I smashed through the 100M barrier with 120M for April ! I still have a bit of an issue with the stomach/groin thing, but I am probably at the point where available time to run is harder to find than available health to run.

be kind to yourselves, dont be too quick to don the trainers !
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fame for the running midget ;)

It's good TR has turned up when I've just had a mega sleep. 8.58am.

Off for a gentle trot shortly.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Wasn't going to bother, as I'm off on holiday in an hour, but decided last minute to run the Richmond half today.  Planned to do a couple of miles to the start for warm-up but a fellow runner pulled up at the end of my road as he drove past and offered me a lift to the start; which was an amazing bit of luck.

No watch, and no plan; just wanted to get round with a steady effort so started a little further back than usual.  Early miles felt OK, just a little bit of residual fatigue from last week's VLM.  Started to pick off a few, then stuck with a guy from Epsom through some harder miles 6-10 whilst still keeping a good pace.  Dug in for the last 3 keeping Epsom within 10-15 secs and finished in a surprising 77:45.  My second quickest half ever, and only 50 secs off a PB.  Course wasn't the quickest (bit windy, pavement, towpath, couple of bridges) but not the slowest either (mainly flat).  Not sure where that came from after the state I was in post-VLM.  Don't know whether to be pleased or to despair.

Anyway, have built up a few beer credits, so I'm off to enjoy a break.  Hasta luego amigos... :)
  • Richmond half for me as well today, a bit of shameless pot hunting as it's also the county champs and despite recent racing I fancied my chances as a v50.  A quick chat with Dan at the start - from anyone else his 'I'll be lucky to break 1:25' would go down as extreme sandbagging but he's nothing if not unpredictable. He came past me after 3 miles looking pretty decent on his way to a cracking time.  

As for me, after some early pace I got onto a long fade - unsurprisingly my legs weren't playing ball and although I did get some good pacemaking from one guy along the towpath back towards Kingston, once he got led away by a faster group from behind I was on my own.  With the road clear behind at a mile to go it was a bit of a jog in, finishing in 1:20 with 2 guys I knew were over 50 catching pretty quickly.  As it turned out we were the first 3 in that category, so a nice medal and some vouchers to make up for my slowest half in some time.

The winner was a guy I know from Epsom who ran Brighton in 2:33, London in 2:29 just behind Al_P, then turned up here to win fairly comfortably as well.

Now, I definitely need a break from racing!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit pathetic. I did 7 miles at 8.20s!

Well done Dan and CD. Happy hols, Dan, and enjoy relaxing a bit, CD.
  • You just never know what you're going to get Dan do you? Enjoy the beers and the break.

Nice successful pot hunting Dave.

It's further than I've managed Jools!

Bored with this sitting around waiting for my knees to get better I decided to try a run today. Just four miles. Knees are obviously not right but left hamstring, adducter and achilles were all complaining a bit too. I'll know in the morning if it was a really bad idea or not.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Think I won a rare prize for 2nd V40. 15th overall. Having a cold one at the airport as I type.  :)
  • You did Dan, they're going to post it.  Well done, enjoy the golf!
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Nice ones there Dan & CD -- amazing to be able to do that a week on (and a week on again for you, CD). Well earnt goodies.

By contrast I plodded 10M, some gentle off-road, at only a little better than 9m/M up the river north of York this morning. My legs have improved a lot since Friday but are still really feeling the marathon -- it wouldn't have been pretty if I'd attempted to race a half, to be sure.

Glad to hear you're getting the miles in there TR. As for my training; I agree I could do with a bit more speed. But I don't buy the full-length runs being my downfall; they are what allow me to run strong at the end (last 2.2km the fastest flat bit of my race). I have improved by a few % in WAVA terms since jumping on the high-mileage bandwagon, so overall the plodding has done me some good; but a bit more tuning could be better still.

Speaking of which, I'll be straight back into another taper week now for Wings for Life next Sunday. Though I might not give it full tilt, if I can resist, as I'm seriously considering that 100km a fortnight later, which should go better if I don't ruin myself again next week. (And I know I have serious competition anyway!)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Some good news all around.

That's 2 great racing performances at Richmond from DanA, so soon after London and again from CD so soon after London/ Boston and whatever else you did early April.  Always nice to win a prize. (I've been told).

Great to see the mileage getting higher TR. Any racing plans?

CW - Mad and good luck, and I love that hint of sanity slipped into your last comment. We all know you will go off like a very fast rabbit. Hopefully cooler conditions than last year.

LMH - I hope it was a good idea, your power of recovery are now legendary.
    Jools - I feel even more then, 7m y'day in late 8 ms.  Recovery, recovery, recovery.
    About to go out on a bimble and looks like February has returned here.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice prize bagging Dan A & CD!  .. & enjoy the hols Dan.

OO.. I tried to enter Valencia yesterday but strangely both boxes on the entry page for phone numbers don't have enough space!  I did try two different browsers with the same result.  Can you try on your PC and let me know whether it's the same, I have mailed them about it.

Good luck for Sunday Charlie, I watched it online last year.

• Seems to be going in the right direction OuchOuch, six miles in the rain this morning a little faster than yesterday. Hamstring and calf felt better though knees and adducter unfortunately didn't. Early day though.

I can't see you not giving it full tilt Charlie.

How is the dog settling in to the TR household?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW - your match report included that you might need more MP, I was just saying where you could fit it. But I'm sold on easy running already. If anyone wanted to run quicker over the marathon I'd point them at the LMH plan of plenty of miles in one run a day, it means lots of LRs and MLRs. Strength trumps speed. I know you like those full distance runs, but cant you do the last one 6 weeks out next time? I think you'd have fresher legs on the day then.

OO - no race plans until I can run niggle free. I have pencilled in September, but maybe before that if things go well. My safety pins havnt seen any action in 2 years now.

LMH - the puppy is great, she is 5 months now and had her first all day at a game y'day, she was shattered by the end of the day.

10M today but the last few miles ended up a bit of a limp on a tight calf, so no running for a few days now. Two days of zero did me no good at all !
  • Dan/CD - great running at Richmond, very impressive. Enjoy the beers and the golf Dan, very much deserved.

CW - wings for life has always tempted me, not too far from the family home and a load of mates are doing it this year, but I couldn't make it again this year. Good luck, look forward to hearing about it.

Wardi - very tempted by Valencia, keep dropping subtle hints to the missus as it's my birthday. Can't tell if it's working or not.

I try and keep up a blog. I won't bombard and keep posting on here, but London was a pretty special race for me this year so I've done a fairly detailed report, if anyone fancies a read!

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/london-marathon-23042017/

Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday weekend. 

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - The same happened to me.  I just entered a random set of numbers until they worked.
    LMH - That's good to hear. 2 out of 4 aint' bad.  
    TR - That sounds promising.  Thankfully there is muscle memory to speed up your recovery and performance. Tight calf = foam roller.
    Joe - A policy of Maskirovka or deception coupled with a slice of empowerment is the event-seeking overseas marathon runners best friend. e.g.  I gave my OH the choice for my next overseas marathon being the bright red lights of Amsterdam or Valencia.  Loved your blog.
    10m with the pooch this morning. Lots of runners wearing far too many layers.
  • TR - I hope her training is going well too, you'll have company soon - and that your niggle disappears quickly.

How are your legs now OuchOuch? I think beating mine into submission seems to be working so far.

Joe - I never know what to buy my OH and would be really pleased if he told me he'd like to go and do an overseas marathon! Off to have a look at your blog.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - yes, I meant "large animal vet"...anyway, there was nothing stuck in the dog's throat but she had somehow trashed behind her soft palate (probably eating a stick or something) so is on a course of steroids to reduce the inflammation. Good news on the test runs!

Dan
    /CD - great runs at Richmond so soon after London, especially Dan!

Good to see TR popping back in and starting to increase the mileage slightly.

A successful long weekend running-wise for me. Went to the parkrun on Saturday planning to take it fairly steady but a few clubmates were there so ended up pushing a bit harder than planned with 16:34, but that felt surprisingly good.

MK Marathon yesterday, with the baseline target of getting my mate around sub-3:!5 (GFA), but I was reasonably confident we could go a bit quicker, even though neither of us have done longer than 18M in training.

Plan was 7m/m to start and see how we felt. Inevitably the first few miles were more like 6:45m/m but felt easy so we just went with it. HW in 1:29:00, then we started to slow marginally from around 17M. Went through 20M in 2:15:30 I think, so about a minute under 3 hour pace, but my mate was starting to suffer a bit. There was then a horrible uphill drag into the wind at about 21M where I was having to hold back quite a bit to avoid dropping him (and shelter him from the wind) but after that he seemed to perk up a bit again, especially when the 3 hour pacer came into sight (they went through HW in 1:28). We were constantly picking off people and got to 24M in 2:43:10 (so 6:55s for those 4M), plenty of a buffer for sub-3. The last couple of miles were easier (flat and less twisty), and my mate was right on my shoulder, so I kept picking up the pace and he was hanging on well. I think the last 2M were in the 6:20s and we finished in 2:57:30, so a 30s negative split despite the 2nd half being a bit tougher (very twisty and a few small hills).

I really enjoyed it and legs felt much better than when we did it together 3 years ago (also 2:57). I don't really feel sore at all today, but will have a day off anyway.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Padams - That's a fine pacing performance, well done to you and your pal. Especially impressed by the negative split and your parkrun. Glad the pooch is on the mend.  Bumped into a 'dog-friend' on Saturday who told me 'Monty's likely treatment for a heart-problem was to cost £3,000!! How many overseas marathons is that.   
    LMH - That's the spirit.  Mine feel fine (touching wood) and as it is sunny planning a 8 mile run along the Camel Trail lunchtime with a few faster miles as tapering again with Exeter marathon - 19 days away.
    WFH and casually listening on a runners podcast on the beauty of beetroot juice for endurance athletes (probably some but not a major gain for well-trained athletes) from an Exeter Univ professor  who goes by the twitter angle of Andy Beetroot.
  • Nice pacing Padams - hope your mate rewarded you with a beer or two, he must have been absolutely chuffed with that time.

Glad to hear that your legs are good OuchOuch. I treated mine to double figures today. My OS map has arrived so I can start spending time looking for holiday walk and run routes:-)