Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wtg - i can see the appeal of off road, im just not prepared to travel to train.

Joe - sounds like a great day. Kona is always more about the experience than racing ?

LMH - hammy was tight but runnable for 4m inc 5x30sec strides. Its just tight, its not the same as the other one which wouldnt let me run on it pre vlm and yeovil. If it gets me round Abo ok, I'll treat it to a week off.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Fleet 1/2 booked for March, 4 weeks pre Brighton. Next 6 months are all sorted.
  • Options
    good morning! 
    Joe - sounds great and sub 10 aint to be sniffed at surely? And getting 2 marathons in in a few months would be a challenge let alone with the warms ups thrown in, so fatigue must play a part. 

TT, a fine trainer and one I use if I'm straight out the door onto the Westwood and its muddy, brilliant for that. I'm just feeling extra extra cautious this time round. 

TR I'm lucky that there are lots of trails close to me

10 miles this morning, and Ive dug out the HR monitor, I added an out and back to make it 10, but the sodding Garmin auto paused due to heart rate (or something) and left me on 9.2 I'll google it shortly and turn that stupid setting off! 

Anyone who's trained / training by HR for a long period of time, is there much correlation to say 6/7 years ago's stats? IE I used to know where it would need to be for MP will I still be there or thereabouts? 
    I wouldn't mind knowing before I blow up in a marathon  :o
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe - A super performance none the less - it must have been cooking!.  Well done, it can't have been easy to keep training at such a high level over such a substantive period of time - time to kick back for a while (short while)!.
    TR - Good on you.  My 6 months d&d too, 4 marathons (Malaga, Gran Canaria, Paris & London) plenty to look forward to there, just hope mind and body willing. 
    TR/ SJ/ TT/ Jooligan - Just make sure now you get to that starting line, fresh, injury free and raring to go.   No overdoing it these last few days.  All more or less in the tank now.  
    wtgy - might get myself one of those Salomon belts - thanks for posting, looks a big upgrade on the bouncy belt I've got at the moment.
    8 miles along the local trail with the pooch this morning and so looking forward to a week in Gran Canaria next - sun, sea and lots of warm weather training...
  • Options
    Wardi - fantastic result - hope the celebrations were as epic!

TR - I had an email from the organisers of the Manchester Half telling me they think I can complete a marathon in 2:44:xx  :D

Will try to catch up on the rest of the thread later - away on business this week. Good week to forget about running for a few days.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    ES - maybe you can by Spring. They probably want you to enter their mara, its supposed to be decent, and quick.

OO - no proper maras in my 6 months until Btighton though unlike yours. My next 3 days will be 4, 3 and 2m, so no over doing it here.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    ES - I don't see why not off of your recent HM time!

wtgy - good to hear approval for the 212s. They arrive today, so other than a try for fit this evening their first outing will probably be this weekend's xc (where I'm going to end up being whipped by half of my club no doubt, but I guess I've got to start the road back somewhere).

A few weeks back I picked up a pair of Nike Zoom Fly (the baby brother of the 4% - they have the carbon fibre sole in them, but not everything else (whatever everything else is?), so I decided to wear them today for my fartlek session. In case any of you are interested whether this is all marketing hype or if there might be something in it) here's a little summary of what they were like...………

Nike Zoom Fly:

They benefit from being snuggly fitted around the heel. I had them a touch too loose on my right foot in the beginning (that's my slightly smaller one) and started developing a blister on my achilles, but that went away once I got my lacing right to make a snugger fit.

I like to be able to bend and twist my trainers in my hand, but obviously the carbon fibre plate in these doesn't allow that, so I was dubious as to whether they'd suit me as stiffer shoes in the past have caused me problems, however they fit like a glove and are insanely comfortable.

As to how they feel running...… at a jog they actually feel a little uncomfortable, though that could be because I'm used to running in shoes with a lower profile and a little lighter (these are 244g whereas my usual ones are 30-70g lighter). Once I started the session (20 x 1 moderate, 1 fast) they felt amazing, particularly going uphill where my uphill running style seems to get the most out of them - as soon as I leaned slightly into any inclines I seemed to just spring forward. I'd intended to run the quick parts of the session at 3:34-3:40/km (current 10km-HM) and jog the recoveries (5:00/km), but ended up averaging 3:24 and 4:35 (3:54 overall). Some of that was just because I never get the efforts right on a 1/1 fartlek, but some of it was because I was flowing more easily in the shoes.

The only downside is they don't have great grip on wet/damp roads, but that can be said about a lot of shoes.

I think it'll take me a while to adjust to them completely but there's enough there to pique my interest and make me wonder what the 4% shoes give above these.
  • Options
    Joe - Great mini report and super well done again. Rest that mind and body now ready for the challenges ahead. 

WTG - I don't train by HR but have been wearing one for years (chest strap, now wrist sensor). All I look out for are improvements in resting HR and that runs at particular efforts are not only feeling easier but are showing up as using less beats of the ticker to achieve them. I also use it to keep easy runs easy <130 etc. It's very ad-hoc but helps my motivation to see things improving. 

TR/OO- nice fixture compiling. I need to add some more too. I have Four villages half at end of Jan and Manchester beginning of April. I need another half in March, maybe Fleet is an option with a trip to see the folks. Would ordinarily do Wilmslow but they have put it on two weeks before Manchester which I'm not sure is a good idea. Although I've seen plenty of people doing a half the week before an A race just recently. 

TR - glad to hear hammy should be ok. 

ES - speaking of Manchester, as TR says, it's going from strength to strength and is now at a size that it feels like a mini-big marathon (that makes no sense at all). Fast course which is well supported whole way round with the exception of miles 21-23 where its a bit more rural. The run through Sale in a Sale vest is always a good feeling with loads of clubmates marshalling/supporting. 

5 last night with 2 sub 6:30's. Faster part felt better than the warm-up/cool-down. All evidence points to a sub 3 but I'm not going to be greedy. The 3:12 in April was a decent comeback but lacked consistency. I have that this time around and feel aerobically very good. I can't shake the 1.26 I ran at York though. What would Pug do in this situation ? :)

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    SJ - suspect that you, me, TR and TickTock will all be running around 3 hr pace so can make up a bit of a group.  Standard is usually good at Abo with about 70-80 going sub-3, so there will be plenty of company.

Last couple of years I've done it as a training run in 3.09 (1.36 / 1.33) and 3.07 (1.35 / 1.32) and that translated to 2.51 and 2.52 in the target races 4-6 weeks after.  Hence why I want to go a bit faster this time and hope that something closer to 3.00 will translate to a sub 2.50 (or even faster?!!).  ES - I also ran Manc half the week before Abo two years ago in 1.18 so you may be in similar shape, or hopefully a bit faster.

Two runs y'day inc. hill session and 16 tonight, but nothing more too strenuous this week.  And yes Jooligan, the 80 miles will include Sunday's event.  Will be my 10th Abo marathon!

Joe - reasonable effort
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Pug would go for 2.49 ;)

Rest day for me 
  • Options
    Steady 5K at lunch for me & that's my lot for today.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pug would go through 1/2 way in 1.18 of that 2.49 too.

TT - go read recent posts on Stevie G thread re Vaporfly and the gains reported.

Dan - choo choo. Ill try to keep up for as long as possible if it feels comfy enough, theres energy to be saved from hitching a ride. No idea if im fit enough to sub3, and those days might be behind nowadays. But like a say theres energy to be saved from getting a tow.
  • Options
    Good news then TR.

I'm looking forward to the full report Joe.

WTG - your max HR is supposed to decrease by a few beats as you age but there shouldn't be too much difference assuming all other things are equal.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Ditto Dan - it will be my 10th Abo as well. See you on Sunday (unless I see you on Saturday!)

I will be heading out at 3hr pace on Sunday.  There are usually quite a few doing similar but you can sometimes end up running on your own for chunks of race. For those who haven't done it before there are a couple of small rises at miles 7 and 9 which you repeat on 2nd lap. Also a couple of sections on hard packed trail.The only other thing to note is the annoying subway at about 24.5 miles which can cost you a few seconds... last year I ran 3:00:03 🤔

As for nearby pubs, I think the bar at the stadium usually opens but I never had a beer as need to drive back to London to get properly hammered.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tick Tock - that all sounds good. I read the race blurb last night and there's water and luco in bottles, so i wont even need to carry my own bottle.

4m with stides done. 3m tomorrow, 2m saturday.
  • Options
    TR said:
    4m with stides done. 3m tomorrow, 2m saturday.
    4, 3, 2, BOOM 

TT good luck in XC if it is how its supposed to be (mud bath) They'll be perfect

SJ do you race in it / review after?
    SJ / LMH I guess I treat it as starting from scratch, and learn what my HR does now, and probably blow up a bit etc
    My resting is still pretty low. 

OO - the belt has arrived, not gonna lie, I look a bugger in it
    With this surplus Ive got to lose, and HR monitor, I'll look like a stringed up pork joint 

• Options
    JB -- wow, that was quite a day out, well done again.

LMH -- I'll be booking a Travelodge for York as soon as it gets within their booking horizon (9 months?). Though maybe I should turn the tables on my kids and insist on kipping on one of their floors of their uni accommodation/shared houses, I'm sure they'd love that...

Thanks SJ re my cold. I didn't notice it come on until nearly a whole week after Chester, so I don't think it would have been affecting me TT, but can't be sure. This is the first time I've been ill since wearing a wrist-based HRM; for the record, it's made no difference to my resting rate at all.

Best of luck Abo crew! The weather is looking kind for you. Go well.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

JoeB - sounds like you had a great experience which is the main thing. Whether you'd done 9:20, 9:40 or 9:59 probably wouldn't have really mattered. When I did it I had expected some hills, so actually thought it was reasonably flat in comparison, but I found the wind coming back very tough. It didn't help that I was on a rented bike that didn't really fit me, a saddle I wasn't used to, only one bottle cage and no bike computer or any way of measuring distance. But like you, I was just there to enjoy it.

WTG - as LMH says, maxHR is meant to come down slightly with age, in which case so would maraHR (all other things being equal), but I expect you'll need to do some test runs to reassess it.

TR - sounds like you're ready to go, nothing silly in the next few days!

7x800 on a very hilly road loop on Tuesday evening, but nothing yesterday due to work. Hope to get out for 40 minutes before nursery pick-up today.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    WTG - that description of you in your girdle isnt going to get you a playtex modelling contract.

Padams - hopefully my toaster will stay safe.

Had a sachet of diaoralyte every day since monday, started on the extra carbs today, i can feel my fuel tanks (quads) swelling nicely.
  • Options
    TR - is the diaoralyte you are taking for prevention rather than cure? Curious to know if its helps prevent tummy trouble on race day if taken when well ? 
  • Options
    Love this image of their homepage!! 🤣 it's quite clear that neither her or her children have diarrhoea !! LOOK AT THEM! I did not look or feel anything like that at Mile 15 in Warsaw!! Perhaps that's the magic sachets doing their trick 😜
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stu - its for the electrolytes and essential salts it contains. If you simply hydrate with more water than you usually drink you end up washing out essential salts etc im big so sweat like a racehorse! Proper hydration also takes a few days. Thats about as scientific as it gets for me though.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    3m inc strides, was chilly today.

Dan, Tick Tock, SJ - Plan is to park up 7.45ish at the college, get ready and then the 15min ish walk (????) to the start. Hopefully the A34 is nice and clear at 6ish on a Sunday morning.
  • Options
    I'm aiming to be there for 8 TR so I'll keep an eye out.
    5M with 8x0.1M strides yesterday & day off today.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Humph. Knocked off my bike this morning by some prat who thought that it was fine to turn right across the traffic into a car park if that traffic was 'just' a cyclist in a hi-viz jacket who she clearly didn't see.  I now have achy knees, and right one looks a bit puffy.  Hope it all resolves really quickly and it's ok to run tonight.  A reasonable time at Valencia is within touching distance at the moment...
  • Options
    ES - I reckon you can break sub245.
    Remember Abingdon guys, the 4 pre-marathon race motions golden rule!
    Lovely day for running, just did 6m with the pooch in the sunshine, maybe 6m later as need to get back onto the marathon training saddle as Malaga is now 7 Sundays away. 
  • Options
    Ouch Joolska - I hope that you make a speedy recovery - and that you have her details!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I gave her my number and asked her to text me hers as I was in a bit of a flat spin and couldn't find my mobile in my pannier bag.  No text. Not sure whether it's worth reporting: I didn't think to get contact details of any of the kind people who stopped, either.
  • Options
    You may as well Joolska.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    As elsewhere wretched luck Jools and hope you are still ok to run.

After my thorough wetting last week I'm delighted if not a bit envious that the weather gods seem to be smiling on you all for Abo day.  It's one thing less to worry about I guess, hope all of your other ducks line up in a row  on race day too.  Best of luck to all.

My first run post marathon today, an easy 4m down the coastal path here.  BTW if anyone wants to enter York next year there is a discount code 'IMBACK19' expiring 22nd Oct.  £40 nett.