Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Padams - belated birthday wishes

TR - staying positive has always been one of your strong points. Keeping fit over the winter months will pay dividends. 

TT - sounds rough re migraine and associated symptoms. Hope that finally clears off. Nice set of fixtures lined up which will keep you motivated. Why the switch back to miles? 

CD - your nipper sounds impressive. I can't get mine out the door. Unlike me he has a natural runners physique, long limbs, tall etc. When I have got him out he glides along. Maybe it will grab him, can't force him out. 

WTGY - funnily enough, last Thursday's session was from that Steve Smythe schedule. I figured I would improvise with that, some P&D and some ad-hoc club stuff to try and get half marathon fit. I also thought I'd chuck some hill stuff in since I dont do any strength stuff. 

Tbh, if anyone has any sound advice on the kind of strength work you do that would be appreciated. I've read lots of sites, have the Lore of Running and P&D but just can't seem to get motivated to start a routine and stick to it. 
  • Options
    Sounds nasty TT - are yo sure it's just a migraine?

sj - in a (probably vain) attempt to address age related muscle loss I have a very simple gym routine that I now try to do twice a week which focuses on hamstrings and glutes with a little upper body (mainly to address my weak/damaged shoulder) and some core work - press ups and planks. My physio says that short and focused as it is (it takes me thirty minutes) it seems to be doing the job so far. Scrawny but strong (in my dreams)  :)

What on earth was that bloke doing at Hull?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - you can still make the 3000 yet then. Good to get the fixtures on the fixture list too.

SJ - good mix of paces there. 2 years ago i wasnt able to run at all, so the trend is upwards (even if there have been a few dips this year). Ive just started up my cct again recently of pull ups, push ups, lunges, squats, deadlifts, planks,  crunches, bridges etc only a couple of times round. I have a pull up bar, some parallettes (for push ups but not padams amounts), and weights. But not squat rack so cant go heavy. P and D have a section as you say.

Wtg - base will do fine for now,  i just need to keep getting a decent amount of miles in and keep my long run delta reduced !
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    WTGY.. that Hull blaggard, if it was top 50 I would guess circa 3:15?  Sub 3:15 would qualify him as a VLM GFA for a V50, sub 3:20 for a V55 so his motive would depend on age.  Then there is Boston etc, if it wasn't to qualify for something what was the point?  I understand he has now responded to the Hull Marathon people so we await the outcome with interest!  Nice miles last week BTW
    TT.. with your DNS record in spring marathons I guess the champagne will be uncorked if you manage two next year. :) Hope to see you at London.
    Charlie.. good effort in the half considering the niggles.  BTW whereabouts did you run in York for your MLR?
    Padams.. I'm hovering around 76-78% wava at Parkrun,  I need to get back down to circa 20 mins to go over 80% so a work in progress!  Congrats on setting the bar with a course record.
    CD.. one of my chums is a decent veteran lady triathlete and mum of 10 & 14 year olds, both keen runners.  The 14 year old lad has already run sub 20 over a grassy parkrun.  His Mum runs her own shop and reckons she's grateful she works Saturdays as she can't bear being beaten by the kids  :/ 
    4.1m+7.2m today, definitely wetter & windier this morning than tonight.

• Options
    Unlucky TR - you made the right decision. Sometimes it takes more courage to pull out than it does to just rumble on and it least this way you didn't run yourself into the ground and jeopardise future training. 

TT - I've got a five year old son and a two year old daughter. It is indeed incentive to get out the door and have some 'me time' while running; just meant it's not as easy to log loads of miles with family commitments etc.

SJ - thanks for the hamstring good vibes! I'm still not out of the woods yet, but have been able to drop a few faster miles into my slow five milers, so fingers crossed. Speaking of which - how do you know when a niggle has gone? What have you found with your hamstrings LMH? On some runs I can't tell if it's fine or if it's my mind playing tricks on me. 

Five miles planned for lunch, hopefully sub 7mm for the last couple. 

• Options
    WayToGoYetWayToGoYet ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    enjoy your lunch run EE 

Wardi, I didnt know he'd responded, I'll see if I can see anything more on it 

SJ coincidence indeed, I am admiring the quality you are doing, I have to keep focussed on the base building. It feels a bit odd with Manchester being so early in the season, only 14 weeks from New Years eve, and with me having no intention to follow anything until the new year 14 weeks doesn't seem too long! 

12@8s this morning, trails (and me on them) are getting slower
  • Options
    Wardi -- my MLR in York was mainly up and down the A1036 shared use cycle paths, where I could get some uninterrupted speed up, with some other random residential roads -- handy for the Layerthorpe Travelodge. Not very picturesque though!

On the losing muscle strength with age thing, I do (rather irregularly) some planks, press-ups, etc. But does that muscle loss apply to the "main engines" of calves and quads? And if so, how should I be strengthening those?

• Options
    I think it's all muscles Charlie - I did weighted calf raises and a seated leg press.

EE - I generally just ignore mine and assume it's ok if it's not being too painful. At the minute I can't feel it at all most of the time but then I'll get a random pain as if it's going to cramp - but often when walking rather than running. Much better than it was though.

WTGY - you're going to have a good base, you don't need to be following anything for longer than 14 weeks.
  • Options
    Hi thread.  Sorry for yet another absence, but the knee just wasn't settling and I was getting gloomy.  Long and the short of it is no Valencia marathon, albeit Mr J and I will be there as tourists because it looks like a nice city and he's rearranged being on-call so we might as well make the most of it with a mini-break!  I don't know how much of the race we'll watch, but I hope to catch a glimpse of most of you who are racing there.
  • Options
    Thanks WTGY - survived 5.7 miles (7:15mm) through the badlands of Bermondsey with no niggles, so we'll take that.

Know what you mean LMH - it's often when doing unusual movements/stretches in everyday life I feel mine rather than while running.

Sorry to hear about the DNS Joolska, but Valencia is a great city so I'm sure you'll have a blast. My recent injury has meant I spectated at two races I expected to participate in and watching from the other side of the fence reignited my mojo if anything. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that you're having to DNS Joolska - I hope you and Mr J enjoy the weekend break.
  • Options
    EE: it's more that Mr. J is not a runner, so although he'd watch (I hesitate to say happily) if I was running, he won't find watching people he doesn't know fun!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - sorry to hear that. Sounds like avoiding watching the marathon is a good idea then, theres brownie points to be gained.

Wtg - that means i have 15 weeks from NYE then. So need to be well into it by February.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Jools - oh no, that's a real shame.  Similar happened to me in Barcelona 2014; was all paid up and ready to travel but got injured the week before.  Actually enjoyed watching the race once I'd accepted I couldn't take part.  Marathons are always fun to watch (in my opinion), and this one goes right through all the main tourist spots so you won't have to go out your way to see it go past.

Will drop you a message in case you want to join me and Tick Tock afterwards for a drink on the Sunday.  Understand if you'd rather avoid us like the plague though  ;)
  • Options
    Jools - Really sorry to hear about the on-going knee issue. Hopefully you can still enjoy a few days in Valencia. As Dan says it would be great to catch up at some point over the weekend. We arrive Friday lunch and leave Monday morning.... we are only busy for about 3 hrs Sunday morning, depending on the effectiveness of the famous pace-pockets (c) 

• Options
    Cheers, Dan and TickTock.  Hope to see you over there!
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jools - sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll have a lovely weekend though and will be able to relax more than if you'd been racing. I can understand Mr J not wanting to spectate for 3+ hours, but depending on the route you could watch for 30 mins then grab brunch somewhere before watching again for another 30 mins towards the finish?

Just a few short runs so far this week with a bit of effort thrown in occasionally. 5M race on Sunday so not planning on anything too long/hard until then.

• Options
    Jools - sorry to hear that. Possibly more than most I can empathise with the pain of DNS'. Enjoy the break.

sj - cheers. The switch back to miles was for a number of reasons - it turns out I can readily switch between in terms of pace calculation so it didn't matter, but also it reinforced the idea not to worry about pace and focus on effort, so it done its job, plus it fits with a slight change in training approach, and finally, a smaller consideration was that I've had too many messages about my blog asking for equivalent paces..... 
    Strength work wise I'm about to start up with Miss TT with a PT so I'll have more ideas soon, but I generally do squats (regular and split/lunge), deadlifts (Romanian is easier on the back), arabesque, hip thrust, and pushups. I say do in the loosest sense of the word as I need to re-establish that habit. I'll often mix it up with some bench presses and some of the machines too (lat pulldown, seated row, shoulder press, etc).

LMH - I would have said pretty sure but as it's 2 weeks on and still affecting me I'm no longer convinced. It may be/have been something viral, or related to my tummy issues. I've just started a 'white' diet under instruction so that might not be helping my body get over the last part of whatever it is, whether migraine or viral. I've already found out that bananas, surprisingly, are a no go.

Wardi - I'm determined to get it right this time. I've started re-planning my training approach to get to the start-line in good shape so see you there ;)

EE - I've got 5 kids, though only 4 of them in this country, including step-kids, and I manage decent mileage, though admittedly that's made easier by work being run commutable.

40m in the bag so far this week, primarily easy/very easy. I'd be happy with breaking 70 after the last fortnight but I'll see how the body reacts.
  • Options
    Fair enough TT; you win on the kid front :D Was referring mainly to the struggle in the first few months with the lack of sleep etc; I have no excuse now they are older.

Bearhug thigh/hamstring support arrived from Sport Pursuit today so will give that a whirl on my run tomorrow lunch. No twinges for a little while so hoping to go longer at the weekend to reduce my delta before Brighton prep comes round. TR - after you mentioned the delta on here I've seen it crop up on the McMillan daily emails! 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    TT.. best of luck with the build up then.  I have Barca in March then VLM 7 weeks later - should be enough time to recover and build up again.  Possibly the closest I'll get to one of Charlie's full distance runs  :).  BTW the Barca course has been tweaked for 2019 to flatten it out a bit (not that it was particularly hilly).  Might be worth a minute or two hopefully.
    Jools.. cripes you've had some wretched luck this year, so sorry you had to bale out.  One suggestion.. we hired bikes a couple of days after the race last year and explored the park that covers the old river bed, very pretty indeed.  That's assuming your enthusiasm for cycling has resumed and your knee is up to it obviously.  Have a great weekend with Mr J, it's a great city.
    Charlie.. from that area if you follow the River Foss south it joins up with the Ouse where there is a 90% traffic free path to run up & down on both sides.  Part of my post Park Run route over Millenium Bridge and through Rowntree Park.
    EE.. when I used to run home from work the route took me through a 2 mile stretch in York with a reputation (a dodgy pub and 4 takeaways within a 50 meter radius   :p) though I never came to any harm.
    Duties to attend to in the middle of today but managed to squeeze in 6.3m + 4.2m either side of it.
  • Options
    anyone have about 6 weeks on the WTGY comeback sweepstake??  :s 

there is a little undulating bit near my home, really small like about 3 m up and downs in about 30m landed funny on an up and my calf 'went'. 
    I was about 200m into an easy run - the plus side is I could hobble home, I'm just really hoping its spasmed because they weren't warmed up rather than torn anything. 

better now than in 4 months time, and maybe a timely reminder that I'm not as young as I once was  :o
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that WTGY - hope it turns out to be nothing.

EE - if you need a support I wouldn't be running on it.

It doesn't sound as though it's holding you back too much TippTop.
  • Options
    Wardi - nothing like a bit of a motivation to run faster! I had a hairy encounter (including a glass bottle thrown at me) when I lived in Sydney - ran through an area with a difficult political history that I had no idea about...And agree on the Valencia riverbed recommendation; it's great - especially the botanical garden bit that becomes a bar at night.

LMH - don't really need the support now. Took a few weeks to arrive and feel like I should get some wear out of it / be on the safe side!

• Options
    I wouldn't run in it EE - return it and get your money back.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Wardi - do you remember Jakesy being shot when he was out training? And had to have a pellet removed?

EE - i have had a few compromised years, did no long runs through june and july (due to hammy issues), and was then a cramped up mess from 21m onwards at Abo. My best path to Brighton success is to keep rhe miles up esp the long runs. I dont need to run any quicker than i did up until 18m at Abo, i need to be able to maintain it. Thats where the long run delta comes in.
  • Options
    It wasn't expensive LMH - might just keep it in case I have another flare-up.

I'm going to aim for 8 on Sunday TR which will be my longest since the hamstring strain, then try and add 2 on every Sunday until my schedule starts.

Been meaning to get a new GPS watch for ages and got myself a nice little Black Friday bargain today - a Forerunner 35 for £100.

Planning on a progressive 5 at lunch.
  • Options

Good-day all!

Been lurking for the last 6 months, as always inspired by everyone's antics here. Interesting how the talk is turning more onto the effects of ageing - at least we're all in the same boat there. For inspiration to keep on keeping on, check out this 84 year old pole vaulter! ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/clip/ee8a90cd-cd11-4dae-a2ef-7a804cc64165 ).

Not done much running this year since VMLM, but delurked to say that I am also attempting the Valencia Marathon. Taking the wife out for a nice weekend away. Have only managed 1 20 miler in my crash 3 week training build-up. Very outside chance of getting close to Sub3 ;-)

Would love to meet up with DanA, TickTock, Joolska and anyone else who will be there. 

Really sorry to hear about the dodgy knee Joolska, but hope you enjoy the trip anyway.
  • Options
    Sounds like a decent thread day out in Valencia! Sorry to hear about your injury though Joolska.

Sorry to hear about Gosport as well TR. I also got ill around that time and it was awful, didn't do anything for 3 days, never mind running. Since then I've managed a couple of park runs but nothing spectacular by any means. Averaging around 60M, other than the week I was ill.

Padams, if you're reading - I've also signed up for the Hatfield 5 so I'll look out for you at the start. I assume you'll be in the club vest?

Nice to see some new faces and the return of some old ones!
  • Options
    Lol EE! I do remember the early days being tough - I started running with a 1 year old in the house, and the now 8 year old came along 3 years later. They're all old enough now that it's not really an issue as they range from 8-20. Fingers crossed for no more hamstring niggles.

Wardi - that's a good gap from Barca to VLM. Interesting that Barca has been tweaked. I thought it was a decent course, but not particularly fast.

WTGY - that sucks. Hopefully it comes to nothing.

Keeping on keeping on here. Currently on 58 for the week, with a short one due shortly, hopefully, and 10-12 tomorrow morning. 
    Miss TT and I rescued 2 kittens this week and as luck would have it I'm working from home for 2 weeks to enable me to follow the 'white food' diet (basically bland and easily digestible) so I've been having a ball of a time settling them in :smile: 
    They're hoping that the white food diet will resolve my issues as I seem to have inflammation that my body just can't deal with (though thankfully not an IBD as feared). The difference across 4 days is immense, and despite eating plenty I've lost 5.8lbs in irritation related bloat.
  • Options
    Sounds positive TippTop - is the diet difficult to stick to?