Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    My hands turned blue indoors this morning so as much as I like pretty winter scenes I opted for the treadmill.  Will wait and see what tomorrow brings.
    Joe.. nice to see you dropping in again, big training month that!
    Jooligan.. still a decent total for Jan, circa 10/11m a day is a good average.
    OO.. nice videos of you both.  Welcome back to the British winter ;) 
    Many happy returns SJ, hope you manage to scoop one or two prizes in your new age group.  Kudos for that 15m in chilly temps.
  • Options
    Happy birthday SJ!  
    Pleased to expose chuggers to a few more folk 😊
    amazing weather all frosted in the common ground near where I live - was in the woods and it was like an atmospheric film set when I walked the dog this am
    Double dutch today off-road to meet a mate / bus partner at lunch then something that was faster than MP and felt tougher than MP, but will hopefully be slower than MP this evening 

I think I’ve busted 200 for the month - in all likelihood that’s probably the most in about 7 years 😬

• Options
    It's not much warmer here CC2 and windier than it has been - not sure how slippery it is this morning, will find out when I walk Grace. Hope you can get your run in.

TR - doesn't sound too bad if you're intending to stay wrapped up.

I think the weather is going to be a bit of a shock Dan!

I've had enough of this weather Wardi.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Wardi - LOL, not a British winter like I've seen before in Cornwall. We've 5-6 inches of snow.  My daughter took 5 hours coming home 9 miles from her workplace last night.  At least managed a few recovery miles with the pooch before the snow.  My sunburn looks even more ridiculous.
    Happy Birthday SJ, you whippersnapper.  45 is a great age.
    Excellent stuff WTGY, your getting there mate. Consistently consistent now. 
    Some great posted training from Jooligan, Joe & TR, inspirational stuff guys and you know LMH is training pretty well too. 
    Hope we all manage to get out and do a bit over the weekend.  Makes you think how people in snow-bound Northern Europe ever get to train this time of year. 
  • Options
    Belated birthday wishes to SJ.

9 for me last night. Hands were only ok for 7, but it was an out and back route...

We had about 7 or 8 cm of snow last night but am en route to Taunton now (trains are running remarkably well!) to see if my hearing is effective.
  • Options

Time for a catch up:

Belated Happy Birthday for yesterday SJ - Some impressive tempos and miles being logged
    OO/Dan - Congratulations on great perfomances in Gran Canaria, must be a shock coming back to this weather!
    TR - Great mileage. Abingdon have announced the date for this year, 20th October. Entries open on 11th Feb
    Lots of great miles being logged by everyone else!

On the recovery/protein point. After Abingdon I made a point of having an electrolyte drink and recovery shake as soon as I had finished, seemed to work as I was walking ok the next day unlike after London! Obviously this is only a small sample and there could be a lot of other reasons for it.

The left calf wasn't any further damage and was caused by tight nerves in the back. Lots of stretches and it has been fine since, been building up the runs every other day and I am now running completely pain/tightness free. Been topping up with swimming and lots of hours on the turbo so I feel reasonably fit. Will start building up from next week and see where I am

• Options
    Padams - think I've been up at about 17 hours actually. It's quite run focused though, mainly because I'm fed up with watching my running going backwards and I enjoy it the most. Motivation levels the highest they've been for quite a while.

LMH - I'm doing Challenge Roth this summer. Will be on the start line for London, but yet to decide whether I'll go full gas or just long training run jobby.

Dan - did you direct him to your favourite one, or send him to that one you told me you go to when you're a bit strapped for cash?

OO - It must be a load of indoor training. It is do-able, just not exactly that fun.

Stevie - good to hear things on the up.

90 min bike session and a run off the bike to work. Not much sign of snow in South London. 
  • Options
    Happy birthday SJ -- MV45 is a useful category to be at the bottom of, it crops up as a category reasonably often. I'm waiting to leave it now though, I'm at the wrong end of it!

262 miles for Jan for me, apparently. Not as big as sometimes, but I've had 3 races and so a lot of wrecked-leg time afterwards.
  • Options
    Fast course then Joe!

Good news Stevie.

What's next race wise Charlie?

Not quite as cold and slippery as yesterday here but I am so looking forward to some better weather.
  • Options
    TBF after a race I usually go to a pub and see how much beer I can slurp  which could be why I don't recover very well from a race (and why I don't tend to race very much) 

223 for January  - pleased with that. Ive got a very bumpy few months ahead of me personally, so I need running to keep me sane and clear my head! 

thanks OO 

bet nobody has done more miles this month than our recently turn MV45 SJ ! (cracking run) 
  • Options
    Thanks one and all for birthday wishes. Had a nice meal out with my two favourite people last night... over ate got greedy and ordered a second beer which I couldn't finish! TR will not be pleased with that result :) 

Stevie - have noticed your steady runs testing the water. Glad the calf has settled and you are running pain free. 

OO - nice vids nice double-handed celebration from you and Dan going to pick up the fallen runner just in front of him nice touch. 

WTGY - I was where you are now this time last year re 200 miles highest for 7 years. Keep it going fella - it'll come back soon enough.

The necessity to get my long run done today means I have subjected my body to 45 miles in three days which I know is nothing relative to most here but to me it represents a tough 72 hours. Ground out 21 miles this morning in cold-ish conditions but bearable with plenty of layers on.

Underfoot was a bit firm on the tow path with some deep rutted frozen muddy sections from the bikes that also use the path making it a little awkward at times. However, nothing spectacular today, just ticked off the miles at around 8:00/miles or just under. Tough going.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevie- thanks for Abo update,  I'll enter next week. Good news that you are able to get going again

Sj - well done on the long run. Hope the big day goes well. For a minute i thought you wrote that you couldnt finish your beer.

It even snowed here. 6m easy today.
  • Options
    @Joe Blogs-BR I'd imagine the taper and recovery would put too much of a dent in your training log unless you're just doing Roth to finish?

Well done if you got out there today. I stayed off the roads, pool swim. I was told to take my swim snorkel off by the pool manager! I've been banned before from using fins in case I 'wack someone' but it's a surprisingly happy end this time, I asked him to follow up and he rang me back to say the 'elf and safety policy says it's okay to use aids at this pool if it's a lane-only session. 
  • Options

A bit like SJ (nice mileage there BTW) I managed to get a long one in this morning: 20 around a local country park.  The whole way round the edge is 3 miles but there are plenty of paths across it so lots of different lap options.  The early snow, no more than an inch or two at the start, was thinning rapidly by the time I finished.

Good to see CW doing the equivalent of exactly 10 marathons in a month.  That's the kind of attention to detail we've come to expect.

I can't imagine JB just going for a finish on a quick course like Roth! 

• Options
    Made it down as far as Cherwell Valley services on the M40. A34/Newbury and M3 are closed due to ice/snow/jackknifed lorries. Stopping the night here. Should be ok to make wedding which is at 1pm...

TR - it was a Samuel Adams too... Still sore about it :)

CD - kudos to you too on the long run today.

TGO - I can't understand why a snorkel is considered dangerous. Fins maybe but not a snorkel. Glad commonsense prevailed.
  • Options
    A snorkel? In an indoor pool? Why?????

I feared icy puddles on my tempo route so ventured to the gym for what should have been (converted to km) 6.5 warm up, 6.5 half marathon pace, 5 cool down. I got about half a km into the tempo section and thought I was dying. I resorted to 5 x 1km at HMP with ludicrously long recoveries (1km at 10kph, so 6 mins). I don't know if I'm hideously unfit or if it's just too sweaty for speedier runs in the gym. When I left the gym the thermometer in the car still said +1 as well, so I probably would have been fine outdoors. Very frustrating. 
  • Options
    Hope you can make it the rest of the way sj.

It always seems very hot in the gym despite the air con CC2 though you run in there quite a bit don't you? Hope you aren't coming down with something.

WTGY - carbs and fluids should work  :) Hope the next few months aren't as bad as you're anticipating.

It was very, very slippery out when we walked MiL home after dinner yesterday so not sure if I'm going to have to resort to the treadie today, will be running later than usual as have the shopping to do before walking Grace then running so I'm hoping it will have cleared.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 20 CD

CC - the snorkel would be a technique thing, to be able to breath with head still.

SJ - hope you make it in time, it was very cold overnight and those roads were bad. There was 19cm snow in north hampshire.

6m easy for me. Lowest week in ages at 55, lost miles tues and thurs due to being too icy for 3min reps and mp run, so just short and easy runs, plus no long run today with Chichester 10k tomorrow. 
  • Options
    11 for me this morning, mostly on the roads as the pavements were still very icy in patches and the snow on the grass was uneven and frozen hard.

Just for TR, The Cat Slept On The Harpsichord:

• Options
    TR - oh I see. I thought TGO was looking for fish or treasures on the bottom of the pool!

Just frost here for my errand running early run, then back on the treadmill for my second since I'd already built up a sweat learning how to use stuff in the gym that I've never looked at before. 

My cat wouldn't sleep on that. It doesn't look comfy enough. She sleeps on my bed. Usually on my pillow, precisely where I'd like to put my head.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joolska - great stuff, thanks. He (or she) is just waiting for the butler to bring a saucer of pheasant breast.

CC - you wouldnt find much treasure in amongst all the bogies, plasters and hairs at the bottom of a swimming lane.
  • Options
    He is now on my lap. And needless to say I'm starving and want lunch. A butler would be really handy right now...
  • Options
    Looks like he's been at the port.  No wonder he's asleep.
  • Options
    Even though I was running later than usual it was very slippery here this morning. I had one 'hand-on-floor heart-in-mouth' moment but just about managed to stay upright. Hope you get better conditions tomorrow TR.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - better a zero than a slip and fall or running on frozen trails with the risk of twisting something. Still going to be -4 or 5 at 9am so depends how dry the roads are. I must remember to give this one a miss next year.
  • Options
    Yes, on a running front good luck tomorrow, TR! Hope the course is clear of ice so that you can get a decent effort level.
  • Options
    It's as much for my sanity as the training benefit if I'm honest TR but yes, always the cost/benefit analysis to do. Hope you can run freely today.

How is your poorly cat Joolska?
  • Options
    He's desperate to go outside, bless him... He does able to put some weight through his leg but I'm mindful that could be the analgesia in his anti-inflammatories, so he is back into his cage soon so I can go for my run. He will get some chicken as a bribe!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    LMH - agreed, but you'll be grumpy if you hurt yourself on the ice and cant run at all. Hopefully it will warm up soon.

It was -4 when i parked up at goodwood,  i actually needed to do a warm up to warm up, fingers and toes woke up after about 20mins.

45min, 10k(37.59), 75min, so somewhere between 20 and 21 in total. Started a bit far back for the 10k and was stuck a bit for a while, but had a strong run and could have gone a bit quicker. 30sec quicker than stubbington, but less windy and id had an easier week.
    Good brighton prep, with 10k at much quicker than mp.

Once the sun came out and the temps stopped being -ve it was nice running on the motor cct, with no wind. I bet next sunday has a gale in store for me at worthing.

Onwards !
  • Options
    You all need to come to Nottingham. There was just one little 10m patch of ice on the canal path. 20 miles done in 7.52s but now I have a weird sore throat.